Start by marking “Funny Letters from Famous People” as Want to Read:
Funny Letters from Famous People

Funny Letters from Famous People

2.79 of 5 stars 2.79  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In this humorous collection of celebrity wit, acclaimed broadcaster and humorist Charles Osgood offers witticisms penned by luminaries ranging from Abraham Lincoln to Andy Rooney.

Known for his clever commentary and witty radio-show rhymes, Charles Osgood here selects and introduces a collection of hilarious correspondence from some of our best-loved politicians, authors,
Published October 12th 2004 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Funny Letters from Famous People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Funny Letters from Famous People

Fredrika
I read most of the presidents, and then just flipped through the rest and read the ones I was interested in. Fun fact, there were only two (2) letters from women. One was hilarious, a scientist's wife killing 58 monster bugs in their cabin, and I forget the other. It was short. Both were short! Smells of sexism.

Also, Beethoven was apparently hilarious (excerpt from the book):
Ludwig van Beethoven had very little—if any-control over his temper, which swung wildly in all directions. Here are two br
Taryn Pierson
I found this book to be absolutely delightful. It was a great pick-up-put-down-pick-back-up kind of book. Hopping up in a few minutes to do laundry? Have a little time in your minivan while the kids finish up at practice? Find yourself in the waiting room at the dentist? Then you have time to read a few pages of this book and brighten your day simultaneously. Two birds!

Osgood collected a whole bunch of witty missives from a variety of people and—this is the best part—edited out most of the borin
Denise
This was my book for the 800's for the year - now I've completed my challenge! Yippee!

Fun letters from people of the past. Might not appeal to anyone younger than me, though. Or they wouldn't have any knowledge of who the people are, why they were/are famous. Had to read several sections out loud to my husband, laughing all the time.

Last letter was from Julia Child with a recipe for a healthy life:
Small helpings,
no seconds,
eat a little bit of everything,
no snacking,
have a good time,
and pick
Chris
This book is simply a collection of letters written by many different famous people, from Mozart to Carl Sandburg to Isaac Asimov to Andy Rooney and lots more. The variety is great but some letters are so hard to understand that you really have to be able to understand the word usage of the time to get the subtle humor.

The letters can be very short of a few words to a couple of pages depending on the person. If you enjoy reading letters other people have written to find out more about how they
Karen
Just what the title says: funny (or at least mildly amusing) letters (or excerpts) by, from and to famous (or nearly so or used to be so) people.

I enjoyed the letters by Groucho Marx the best - what a shame he's not as well known now.

Recommended for: those who lament the death of good old-fashioned letter writing and people who enjoy reading those who were known for their wit.
Richard
A good book, but many of the letters aren't Laugh Out Loud funny so much as dry and witty. A light read to be picked up and put down with ease.
Rebecca
Not the laugh riot I hoped for. You might enjoy Charles Osgood on Sunday Morning, but that doesn't mean you'll like this book. He managed to find utterly unfunny writing from some of the funniest writers in the world. What a shame.
Stella
A Twitter-style look at history: Hard to say what i liked best- Giggling at Lincoln's responses to his detractors? old-timey off color humor? Love letters with SAT words? I loved this little book.

Elaine
I couldn't get into this. Many authors were unfamiliar to me and therefore not that appealing to me. Also, the selections and the reasoning were not very compelling to me.
Bunny
False advertising.

While a handful of letters in here were truly delightful, the majority of them were written by people too in love with their own words.

Ugh.
Barbw
Parts of this book are laugh-out-loud funny. Charles Osgood looked at compilations of letters by famous people and chose the best ones. I really enjoyed this book.
Jenn
I was hoping that as the titled indicated, there would be funny letters. Not so. It would be more appropriately titled, "Funny Excerpts...."

Will
Short little book of entertaining letters. Pretty good collection, for what it is.
Lawrence Francis
Lawrence Francis marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Gregory Kelley
Gregory Kelley marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
H Garcia
H Garcia marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Amanda Goff
Amanda Goff marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Arianna
Arianna marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Helga Guerreiro
Helga Guerreiro marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Mahum
Mahum marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Eric Stockwell
Eric Stockwell marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Eva Gogola
Eva Gogola marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Karan
Karan marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dear Professor Einstein: Albert Einstein's Letters to and from Children
  • Here Lies: The Collected Stories of Dorothy Parker
  • Idylls of the King and a Selection of Poems
  • Children's Letters to God: The New Collection
  • The Beginner's Guide to Living
  • 344 Questions: The Creative Person's Do-It-Yourself Guide to Insight, Survival, and Artistic Fulfillment
  • The 50 Funniest American Writers: According to Andy Borowitz
  • Haiku Mind: 108 Poems to Cultivate Awareness and Open Your Heart
  • The Magic Apple Tree: A Country Year
  • Horatio's Drive: America's First Road Trip
  • Freedom from Fear
  • The Penguin Anthology of Twentieth-Century American Poetry
  • Uncommon Friends: Life with Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Harvey Firestone, Alexis Carrel, and Charles Lindbergh
  • Fooling with Words: A Celebration of Poets and Their Craft
  • The World in a Phrase: A History of Aphorisms
  • Martha Stewart's Favorite Crafts for Kids: 175 Projects for Kids of All Ages to Create, Build, Design, Explore, and Share
  • Creating a Beautiful Home
  • War Within & Without: Diaries and Letters of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, 1939-1944
Charles Osgood (born Charles Osgood Wood, III on January 8, 1933) is a radio and television commentator in the United States. His daily program, The Osgood File, has been broadcast on the CBS Radio Network since 1971. Osgood hosts CBS News Sunday Morning. He is also known for being the voice of the narrator of Horton Hears a Who!, an animated film released in 2008, based on the book of the same na ...more
More about Charles Osgood...
Defending Baltimore Against Enemy Attack: A Boyhood Year During World War II A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the White House: Humor, Blunders, and Other Oddities from the Presidential Campaign Trail Kilroy Was Here: The Best American Humor from World War II See you on the radio The Osgood Files