Start by marking “On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells” as Want to Read:
On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells

On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Sweep Readers Off Their Feet With a Romance They'll Never ForgetIn "On Writing Romance," award-winning romance novelist Leigh Michaels talks you through each stage of the writing and publishing process. From the origins and evolution of the romance novel to establishing a vital story framework to writing that last line to seeking out appropriate publishers, everything you ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Writer's Digest Books (first published January 16th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about On Writing Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Writing Romance

On Writing by Stephen KingThe Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View by Jill Elizabeth NelsonHow To Write 50,000 Words In 30 Days, and survive to tell you... by Mike CovilleThe Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Charac... by Marc Mucutcheon
Best Books on Writing Fiction
6th out of 24 books — 15 voters
The First 50 Pages by Jeff GerkePlot & Structure by James Scott BellOutlining Your Novel by K.M. WeilandThe Fire in Fiction by Donald MaassStructuring Your Novel by K.M. Weiland
Good Books for Writers
18th out of 21 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Emma Sea
Nov 13, 2013 Emma Sea marked it as hell-no
Page 168 of this book has succinctly explained why I cannot read m/f romance:

"Here's how to make your heroine's dialogue more realistic . . .

Check for bragging: women tend to talk about their accomplishments and themselves in a self-deprecating fashion . . . can you rephrase her comments in order to make her laugh at herself?

Check for aggressiveness:women tend to be indirect and manipulative . . . add approval-seeking comments and suggestions that masquerade as questions.

Check for details: Wome
Laura Oliva
Overall, I liked this book. However, while it does contain some original tips, many if not most of them are also covered in the (myriad) other romance writing books I own. And the sections on characters and story development seemed aimed towards less-edgy, more inspirational-toned authors. There is nothing wrong with this whatsoever, I just don't write in that voice, so there wasn't much for me there.

The big selling point for me? Her section on endings.

It's actually why I bought the book, beca
Kristina
For whatever reason, I enjoy reading books about writing books.

I thought this book was full of a lot of useful information. At the end of each chapter (and in some areas within the chapters) there are questions to sit down with and use to either study other people's books, or to critique your own writing. In the appendices, there are examples of cover letters, query letters, and other items editors might ask for when requesting information about your book.

If I ever sit down to write a book, I
Marian Perera
A good starting-point for someone interested in writing in this genre, but it also has a few problems that make it a book I can’t recommend.

The book begins with a description of the various sub-genres of romance—and includes gay and erotic romance, which I liked. Michaels goes into detail how to research romances, and I enjoyed reading this.

The chapter on characterization didn’t offer anything new, though I didn’t disagree with it until I read the list of questions at the end, intended to help w
Jeannie Faulkner Barber
Ms. Michaels' advice is so savvy and clear. It was one of the first books I purchased because I'd heard great reviews about her work. It gives the novice writer, as well as any published writers, a great starting point to develope your skills. I love the way she offers specific instruction for creating the perfect romantic couple.
Rebekah Ganiere
Awesome book. Great help, fast moving with awesome examples. I wish all how to books where this good. I actually found myself looking forward to reading it, as opposed to dreading it like I do most help books.
Angela Montgomery
An excellent book for anyone interested in popular writing, not just for romances. It has great advice on common problems for the amateur writer: e.g. shifting scenes, handling point of view, plot development, etc. (Even my son has started reading this book, and presumably he will not be writing romance novels -- although he has read The Fault in Our Stars 5 times, so who knows.) I'm trying to write a YA romance, which is less formulaic than the traditional romance novel, and I still found it qu ...more
Plaid
I mainly skimmed it. There was some good advice on structure and revising here that I've taken into account but a lot of the specifics are wildly out of date, even more so than the book itself (it seems like the recommended content is for romances of 15+ years ago). Writing books are always incredibly subjective and I was happy with some of the things I could glean from this one but some of the advice and examples are so cringily out of date that I can only recommend this one until I can find a ...more
Gabi
Yay! Cucumbers!
Bubbles
This is a great book for beginning romance authors who need some helpful hints on how to craft their story. I picked it up for free on the Nook, and I'm glad I did. Michaels gives advice on crafting the perfect heroine and hero, how to get your plot moving, how to keep your plot from being too contrived, and even ends with tips on how to sell your manuscript.

I don't write a lot of romance novels, but I found this book extremely helpful in other aspects as well. For one thing, it will also help
Mike Duron
Perfect!

The language and layout of this book make it fun to read, yet, by reading this, a person could spare themselves a thousand headaches if they plan on writing any sort of fiction -- not just romance.

While still covering everything from Show Don't Tell to POV, this book goes beyond the basics and includes helpful advice on how to recognize and avoid First-Meet Cliches no editor wants to see, good ways to ruin a great relationship (too many secondary characters, to busy a background plot, &c),
Andrea
I used this book to help me through the romance novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo, but also because I've been writing more romance and would like to stay on that path. It's full of good advice (by a woman who's written over 80 romance novels) on plot, characters, love scenes, sex, resolution, avoiding cliches, and more. She provides loads of examples from real books, which is very helpful, though I would have liked to have seen more BAD examples, or cringe-worthy ones, if only for the fun of it. She a ...more
Amy
I found this on my Kindle while looking for a book to help me with some issues I'm having while editing a story. Not sure when I bought it (maybe it was free). How does this keep happening?

It's got some great advice for working out problem spots in specific areas of plotting. I don't have any other books on writing romance but have checked them out of the library in the past. I have found that they are usually incredibly helpful regardless of genre. It also made me excited about what I'm doing,
Rae
I don't read or write romance, but I still found this book useful.

A good chunk of the first part of the book is spent defining the romance genre and its subgenres but then it moves into subjects which are applicable to any writer. This book has a lot of useful information and techniques for writing inter character relationships and creating tension and drama between them. There's a lot of advice on how to show what characters are thinking/feeling without out explicitly saying so as well as advic
Paullette
A fantastic writing instruction book, regardless of your genre. If you're interested in writing something interesting, this is for you!
Vonze (Yvonne)
On Writing Romance is great for beginners who've just dreamed up their romance novel ideas. This book covers all the bases, from research to love scenes, plot and the query letter and everything in-between.

I've read several "How-to-Write" books from Writer's Digest. In this book, Leigh Michaels includes examples from the novels of other romance writers (Nicola Cornick, Lyn Cote, Annette Blair, Julia Quinn, etc) which I found helpful. Leigh Michaels not only tells the reader what to do, she shows
Andrea
I'll be keeping this book on my desk. As a beginning writer, I found it quite helpful. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject of writing romance novels: from descriptions of various romance sub-genres to the elements of salable romance novels to information on how to go about getting a novel published. The revision checklist, which lists a number of points to consider when revising a manuscript, seems particularly useful - I expect that the pages with this checklist will soon be ...more
Lisa M
4.5*s Covering the writing of romance novels from prologue to epilogue, this is the go-to book for those aspiring to be romance writers. While there are books that cover characterization and plotting in more depth, On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells explains these topics--and more--as they relate specifically to romances. It's required reading.
Anie Gomez
Jan 17, 2014 Anie Gomez rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: If you want learn to write, so I read this book
It's cool, really interesting, I learn to write on this book. It's very fun.

I love to write, so I need a book for learn well. I find it!!
Laurie Evans
Great book for this beginning writer! Very specific how-to info. I found the sections on conflict, point of view and dialog especially helpful. Lots of great examples from a variety of romance writers. I loved Chapter 13, Building a Believable Plot. Fantastic information about motivation, creating suspense, pacing and foreshadowing. I borrowed this book from a friend, but I'm going to buy my own copy, and read it again.
Jen
Aug 19, 2008 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beginning writers
Shelves: writing
While this book contained excellent information, I believe the writer intended her audience to be beginning writers. If you've been writing seriously for any given period of time, the information conveyed here is repetitive. In fact, most of the information could be found on the Internet. If you're an intermediate or advanced writer searching for perspective, I'd suggest looking for another manual.
Juno Ross
This is an exceedingly well-done book by one of the (few) romance writers I enjoyed reading years ago when I began to toy with the idea of writing romance books, but stuck with literary for a while. (And of course, I may as well have done it back then . . . I would be so much richer.) But a very good book on writing by one of the best romance (or otherwise commercial) authors around.
Andrea
This book is immensely helpful. Michaels gives examples of every suggestion she makes, and everything she says makes perfect sense. She provides an eye-opening picture of the romance publishing industry and even gives a behind-the-curtains tour of the publishing process. This book would be an asset to any romance writer.
Christina G
My friends left this out for me as a gag when I cat-sat for them, but it was actually a pretty fun read. It seems like it would be a useful resource for anyone writing their first romance, and it was interesting to read as a non-romance reader trying hard to understand what romance lovers look for in a book.
Kimberly
Read this as a quick reference for one plotline in a non-romance, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it useful beyond that. There's a lot to strengthen any love plotline, but I found the information on planting subplot hints and foreshadowing most useful.
Lisa Annesley
4.5***** The beauty of this book is that it covers writing topics as they relate to writing romance. In that respect, it's unlike any other book on plotting, characterization, etc., out there. It's indispensable for aspiring romance writers.
A.L. Stumo
A truly useful book for beginning and intermediate writers of romance novels and novels with romantic sub-plots. By useful, I mean that the book has both the theory and practical advice to write a tight, well-plotted, well-characterized novel.
Sadie
Well I read romance every once and awhile. Have I been interested in writing it? A little, but I'm mostly interested in other genres. Still I have to say this is a very helpful book for anyone who is interested in writing romance books.
Demelza
I've had this on my list for a very long time because I'm still mostly in the process of reading and studying it. Overall I've found it helpful, especially for things to consider during the writing process itself.
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
  • The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes
  • GMC: Goal, Motivation and Conflict: The Building Blocks of Good Fiction
  • How to Write Killer Fiction: The Funhouse of Mystery & the Roller Coaster of Suspense
  • The Plot Whisperer: Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master
  • Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints
  • Getting the Words Right
  • Writing the Paranormal Novel: Techniques and Exercises for Weaving Supernatural Elements Into Your Story.
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
Leigh Michaels is the pseudonym used by LeAnn Lemberger (b. July 27 in Iowa, United States), a popular United States writer of over 85 romance novels. She has published with Harlequin, Sourcebooks, Montlake Romance, Writers Digest Books, and Arcadia Publishing. She teaches romance writing at Gotham Writers' Workshop (www.writingclasses.com) She is the author of On Writing Romance.

When Leigh was fi
More about Leigh Michaels...
The Mistress' House Just One Season in London The Wedding Affair Birthday Scandal, The The Corporate Wife (Tender Romance S.)

“For readers worldwide, the attraction of romance novels seems to be that they provide hope, strength, and the assurance that happy endings are possible. Romance makes the promise that no matter how bleak things sometimes look, in the end everything will turn out right and true love will triumph -- and in an uncertain world, that's very comforting.” 4 likes