Start by marking “Beautiful Dreamer” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Dreamer

Beautiful Dreamer

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In a small Southern town, a white man tries to prevent a lynching and finds himself branded by the mob --- and worse, finds himself sheltering the dead man's son. When the killers come around to finish the job, the two victims are forced to flee across the country in the hopes of escaping men with nothing but vengeance on their minds.

Just one step behind the vigilantes a
Published August 22nd 2006 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Dreamer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Dreamer

Mallory
Shannon
AAAGH, another book club selection. Maybe I'm just too much of a happy optimistic person to enjoy these types of reads, but jeez, this was depressing and reminiscent of a horrible era for our country. The unfortunate part is that this most likely does still exist in some areas near to us and definitely the concept occurs all of the world. Nonetheless, very depressing to me. As for the writing, I did not appreciate the flow although it did lend some credibility to the period it was set in. Hard t ...more
Suha
Well, this is one of the books you don't appreciate until you've finished it. It took me quite a while to finish it, and it completely failed to keep me interested, at a point, I was just waiting for the whole thing to end.
The silence, the tension, it was too much.
But later on, it becomes apparent that the author intentionally made that really slow build up, just to achieve a successful climax.
I loved it.
Janice
I knew this book had received less than glowing reviews from readers but I wanted to read it for myself. The author should have been able to do so much more with the storyline. Trying to convey the thinking of the characters ended up sounding more like the rambling of idiots. So disappointing.
Lorna
A beautiful, powerful book about race relations in early 20th C. America. More than that though, it is about good versus evil, doing what is right. I found it to be a very engrossing read, that I just couldn't put down.
RUSA CODES
This was one of the 2007 RUSA Notable Books winners. For the complete list, go to http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/rus...
Robin Holloway
Can't remember enough about this book to give it a rating. If it's so immemorable, I'm going to say it was okay.
Catgirl (in Perth)
Catgirl (in Perth) marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Maria
Maria added it
Aug 12, 2014
Lori
Lori added it
Nov 11, 2014
Susan
Susan is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2014
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2014
Linda Lipko
Linda Lipko marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Sheila Levey
Sheila Levey marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Glorimelisa
Glorimelisa marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Shamirey Abesamis
Shamirey Abesamis marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Arthur Miller: 1915-1962 Dada and Surrealism The Cambridge Companion to David Mamet The Cambridge Companion to Modern American Culture Modern American Drama, 1945-2000