Start by marking “Abe Lincoln Remembers” as Want to Read:

Abe Lincoln Remembers

A man of wisdom and courage.President Abraham Lincoln sits alone in the White House one evening in 1865. The war between the states is over at last, and the slaves are free. This man has come a long way from his small log cabin in Kentucky. What is he thinking about? What memories run through his mind?

Powerful text and stunning, historically accurate paintings combine to p
Published January 7th 2003 by HarperCollins (first published December 26th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Abe Lincoln Remembers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abe Lincoln Remembers

Nicole Blicht
Reading Log #4- K-2 Biography

Title Abe Lincoln Remembers
Illustrator Wendell Minor
Genre: Biography, History, Picture Book
Theme(s): Fighting for Equal Rights, Power, Inequality
Opening line/sentence When I was little, the cabin we lived in was small with one room and one window.
Brief Book Summary This book is about President Abraham Lincoln. He sits alone in the White house a random night in 1865. The war is over and the slaves are freed. Lincoln could not be happier. He has ca
Matti Davis
Title: Abe Lincoln Remembers
Illustrator: Wendell Minor
Genre: Biography grades K-2
Theme(s): The American Civil War, Leadership, Values, History
Opening line/sentence: When I was little, the cabin we lived in was small with one room and one window. At first I thought the sky was square like a piece of cut cloth.
Brief Book Summary:
This story starts off with a young boy reminiscing about when he was younger and how much simpler life was. As the story moves on, it shows this yo
Kendall Coreno
Dec 03, 2015 Kendall Coreno marked it as to-read
Title: Abe Lincoln Remembers
Illustrator: Wendell Minor
Genre: Grades K-2 Biography
Theme(s): History, family, slavery and determination
Brief Book Summary: This book talks about the life of Abe Lincoln. It starts off when he is a young boy who lived with his family in a one-window cabin. As the story goes on, Abe grows up and the author discusses how he eventually becomes p
Ch_hayley Medsker
Mar 03, 2010 Ch_hayley Medsker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical-fic
Abe Lincoln Remembers by Ann Turner is told from the voice of Abe Lincoln. Abe remembers growing up in the backwoods of the midwest, having to work in his father's fields, but always wishing for books and a better life. He remembers taking on jobs, moving on, and trying to "make it" in life. Abe says,"I knew that being tall is not enough to make your way in this world. I needed words for that. When I studied to become a lawyer, I practiced my cases out loud as I walked, learning how to use words ...more
Sara Baker
Mar 12, 2014 Sara Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-8
Summary
This book tells Abe Lincoln's life story. It is about the major events that shaped his life. The book's last page ends by saying that Abe was going to the play. That was Abe's last day living. The illustrations are beautiful. They were painted by Wendell Minor.

Responses
I gave this book five stars because I thought it was a great book. It is very educational.
This book made me sad when I read the last page. I felt sad because I knew he was going to die during the play.

Classroom Connection
Th
Laura Noto
Abe Lincoln Remembers is a picture book for 6-9-year olds. It is a story told in Abe Lincoln’s first person voice as he remembers significant times during his life. Some of these times include his childhood at home and school, his first job, highlights of his political career, his feelings about slavery, his wife, the war, and his presidency. This book gives some information about important historical events; however it doesn’t overwhelm the reader with facts and dates. The story ends with him ...more
Melanie Bates
Abe Lincoln Remembers

Summary: This is a historical book about our former U.S. president. The book includes many different facts from Abraham Lincoln’s life. The illustrations throughout the book work very well with the content provided.

Response: I gave this book five stars because I though it contained many interesting facts about Abe Lincoln, yet it didn’t seem like it’d be boring or difficult for a child to read. I loved that it was historical and still a picture book.

Classroom Connection: Thi
Oghafoerkhan
Mar 07, 2012 Oghafoerkhan rated it it was amazing
This is a children's book. I read it to my five year old, who just learned about Lincoln in kindergarten. She loved it. I loved the language, very lovely prose, and the beautiful illustrations. The last page end with "I told Mary that tonight is a time to be happy. As we wait to go see a play, I think again of that little house, the small window, the piece of sky with two birds and one squirrel. How much has come to pass since then." My daughter started to tear up, because of course this scene ...more
Meltha
Mar 21, 2016 Meltha rated it really liked it
This is a lovely, first-person account of what Lincoln might have thought when he looked back on his life, when he was a child, his first jobs, his marriage, his children, the war, and the end of the war. Then they get you in the gut when he says he and his wife are going to a play that night. The pictures are clear and engaging, and the text, written in what could be called open form poetry, works very well. The notes at the end cover a brief biography of Lincoln's life, written at a ...more
Meagan
Feb 19, 2011 Meagan rated it really liked it
I went to three libraries looking for a book to read to my first graders when I taught them about Abraham Lincoln, and this one was the eventual winner. Beautiful pictures, poetic language, a very grave and serious tone regarding slavery and war, and not too much text per page. I think it was a challenge for them in terms of its emotional seriousness, but I was glad I chose it and the fact that it made some of them feel sad seemed right to me given the subject matter.
Brittany L.
Sep 06, 2008 Brittany L. rated it really liked it
This would be a book to read around President's Day. This story is a historical history picture book for young children. It is told from Abe Lincoln's point of view. He tells in very simple terms, his life story, from growing up in his log cabin to becoming the President of the United States. The illustrations are paintings by Wendell Minor, and are fabulous! Children can learn a lot from this book, and understand everything they read. I really enjoyed reading this book.
Liz Benitez
Oct 28, 2013 Liz Benitez rated it did not like it
Shelves: biography
Interest Level Grades K - 2
Grade level Equivalent: 3.8
Lexile Measure: 790L

This book is written from the perspective of Abe Lincoln. He talks about his childhood and how he became a lawyer and later president. This book also goes into the war between the North and South and Abe tells us how he felt. Teachers can read this book to give younger children a preview of how Abe would think about certain topics.
Zonia
Apr 21, 2009 Zonia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-school
Told from a first person perspective, Abe Lincold tells us of his life from being on the farm up to the night of the play. Stresses the importance of education and wanting something more. Beautifully illustrated.
Wendy Mills
Mar 14, 2015 Wendy Mills rated it really liked it
An interesting story abut the life of Abe Lincoln that will make young readers want to know more about our 16th President.
Meghan Peters
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes historical fiction or an book to find out about abe lincoln. I would recommend this for 4th graders and up.
Ms. Grossbier
Ms. Grossbier rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Rocklicker
Rocklicker rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2010
Julie Fischer
Julie Fischer rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2012
Ms.Amory
Ms.Amory rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2009
Janna
Janna rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2011
Missy
Missy rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Kaulin
Kaulin rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2009
Meena  Somwaru
Meena Somwaru rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Carmen
Carmen rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2014
Gina
Gina rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Leia-Catherine
Leia-Catherine rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Ann Warren Turner is a children's author and a poet.
Ann Turner wrote her first story when she was eight years old. It was about a dragon and a dwarf named Puckity. She still uses that story when she talks to students about writing, to show them that they too have stories worth telling.
Turner has always loved to write, but at first she was afraid she couldn't make a living doing it. So she trained
More about Ann Turner...