Start by marking “Daddy's Girl” as Want to Read:
Daddy's Girl

Daddy's Girl

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  226 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Daddy's Girl is a powerful book that uses a childlike graphic style to explore the adolescence of a young girl, Lily, whose life is being destroyed by sexual abuse. Drechsler pulls no punches in her depiction of incest, and many scenes are hard to read, but this book shows that comics can be a vehicle for serious subjects; the drawings pull the reader into her world more c ...more
Published December 31st 1996 by Fantagraphics Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Daddy's Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daddy's Girl

Steve
Sep 03, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Daddy's Girl is a collection of short stories which deal with the frank subject matter of a girl's sexual abuse at the hands of her father. These individual stories - mostly centering around a young girl named Lily, though another follows a different young girl named Fran -- add up to create a fictionalized account of Drechsler's own experiences. Because the author has created these characters through which to tell her stories, it creates distance between the reader and the author which allows u ...more
Destiny Dawn Long
This was like a collection of short stories, the first set dealing with the character of Lily, and the latter with a character named Fran. There were strong themes of sexual abuse, including graphic depictions of the abuse taking place. The style of the art is reminiscent of the Expressionists--and her heavy lines and cluttered scenes definitely create a mood of anxiety. Most of the stories are in black and white, although there is one piece in color.

One thing that bothered me a bit was that I
Scott
Aug 12, 2012 Scott rated it really liked it
Wow, lot of books titled Daddy's Girl. Anyway, very interesting, disturbing, and insightful graphic novel into the life of a girl who is sexually abused by her father. It's disgusting but neither exploitative nor artsy the way I imagine most movies would handle the subject matter. As a father who is by no means naive to the subject, it still made me think a great deal. How often does this happen? How would you know? Would your daughter even tell you if someone was sexually abusing her? Just a lo ...more
Andre
Daddy's Girl is a real gut punch. The first two or three scenes were so harrowing that I had to immediately look up how much of the narrative was autobiographical (it turns out, it's mostly fictional but the essence of it is truth). The thing that makes it stand out, however, is the child-like lens of the story and the confusion it presents. Drechsler's simple, almost primitive, art and drawing style gives the whole thing an interesting perspective despite sometimes being overwhelmingly bleak.
Lollipopwater Norton
This was the first comic I read that made me cry. The book follows Lily, a young teen struggling with being a daughter, a sister, and horribly, a victim of incest. Based upon the author's own life, the book is so honest and sad and beautiful.
Rachel
Jun 29, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I think this is officially fiction, but I also think it is based on Drechsler's real life. Either way, it makes me so sad and angry, even perhaps disgusted at the way the father acts. It's a good reminder of how survivors of incest and other forms of abuse are made to feel guilty, ashamed, and like the abuse is their fault. The level of manipulation here is heartbreaking and unfathomable. It's hard to read. But it is important because it reminds us we all know someone who is going through someth ...more
Taneka
Jul 24, 2012 Taneka rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This graphic novel deals with the very touchy subject of incest and rape. The graphics make it a LITTLE easy to digest the subject, adding a childlike quality to it. You can sense the fear and complexity of Lily's situation (not wanting to hurt her mom with the truth and battling with her own self esteem) and you can understand the guilt of Franny's for having done nothing and placing the blame on herself because she didn't say no.

My heart was broken by the end of this book. I really wanted bot
Marta
Sep 23, 2010 Marta rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Classifying this book as an "I really liked it!" is a little misleading and difficult to do because it feels somewhat dishonest. To be perfectly blunt, I did not like this book. I hated it. Reading it was terribly difficult and all the way from page 2 until the end I felt completely nauseous and almost had to vomit afterwards. But, sadly, that's what makes this book deserve those four stars.

Powerfully done, this collection of comics deals with the dark subject matter of continuing sexual abuse f
Catfat
Feb 19, 2015 Catfat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un incroyable roman graphique qui décrit les joies et les peines d'une jeune fille violée par son père incestueux, puis par un autre homme. C'est terrible de vérité criant de réalité et terrifiant d'atrocité. Et c'est aussi très touchant et traversé d'humanité. A mettre entre toutes les mains.
Feather Mista
Aug 20, 2011 Feather Mista rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casi nadie.
Recommended to Feather by: Mala memoria
Culpa mía, de haber recordado que ya había leído otro comic de esta autora -y no me había gustado casi nada-, este ni lo agarraba. Pero caí, y aunque la premisa es interesante y me parece bien que se hable de estos temas en todos los medios, el desarrollo de la historia y el dibujo me parecieron horribles. Buenas intenciones pero con fea ejecución dan un feo resultado. La segunda historia me pareció bastante peor y el dibujo es tan "más de lo mismo" que al principio ni me di cuenta de que eran o ...more
Jul 30, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
It's hard to say if Daddy's Girl is a good book because the experience of reading it is so unpleasant. The second page of the book graphically depicts one of the characters being sexually abused by her father, which made me feel so ill it was hard to continue. I can understand why Drechsler wrote this book as a way to work through some of her own nightmares from her past, but it doesn't add anything new to the body of art and scholarship about rape and sexual abuse. She offers no hope for the ...more
Melissa
Aug 26, 2007 Melissa rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of realistic & intense comics
Another Gravett GNRP read that I'm not over the moon for. It's hard to give a book about childhood sexual abuse a negative or half-hearted review--I don't know whether this was written out of an autobiographical need or just to raise awareness, like The Tale of One Bad Rat--but Daddy's Girl is a plodding, repetitive, if upsetting, book. There are no sympathetic characters present: you've got the abusive father, the cold-hearted mother, the distant & complicit sister.

Maybe I would have appre
Hol
So I haven’t read a book in six weeks, but I have been reading magazines, including a 2002 Comics Journal I picked up at Comicopia that features mile-long interviews with both Will Eisner and Debbie Drechsler. Bonanza! Handily, the library had a 2008 reissue of Daddy’s Girl. It is brilliant but excruciating. Almost every line is distorted and every surface riddled with repetitive detail so that the images seem to be thick with anxiety. Drechsler is unreserved in depicting violence—the child prot ...more
Julie Kohler
Un roman graphique extrêmement fort, intelligent et habile, qui aborde l'inceste de front, sans ménager les lecteurs.
Minerva
May 22, 2009 Minerva rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel is not for the faint of heart. Some of the images will shock you with the explicit nature of child abuse. Daddy's Girl gives a realistic account of the psycholoogical impact of sexual abuse on those who are victims by depicting all images in black and white. All the artistic elements within the panels reflect the trauma of abuse by through distorted facial expresssions and body shapes and heavy cross-hatching and use of patterns in all backgrounds. There is so much more to say ...more
Elaine
Aug 18, 2014 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So sad.
Crystal Gail  Welcome
The artwork is great! The storyline is graphic and at times random. In that sense, the author does an excellent job of displaying an erratic childhood. However, this technique offsets the otherwise interesting plot for adults.
Natalia
Scary... claustrophobic... good art. my only real gripe is that I kept expecting more of a graphic *novel*... I wanted a continuation of the same character's story over an arc, but the original character seemed to terminate about 3/4 of the way through and instead there are new stories about a different character... it felt unfinished and I was confused because the characters seemed similar but had different names. It's possible that I read it wrong. Help, anyone?
Rocco Versaci
Sep 15, 2012 Rocco Versaci rated it really liked it
"Daddy's Girl" is an incredibly disturbing yet powerful series of stories focused on troubled adolescent girls. The bulk of the book is given over to Lily, a confused adolescent, as she comes of age and experiences various traumas--the most serious of which is molestation by her father. Hers is a story that is, quite often, very difficult--but necessary--to read.
Erin
Jun 15, 2009 Erin rated it liked it
This is definitely a grim book - in the tradition of Allison Bechdel and Phoebe Gloekner it tells the story from the POV of an adolescent being sexually abused by her father. It's a sensitive book with sad an depressing adult figures. The illustrations are well done and convey the smothering atmosphere the girls grew up in.
Emilia P
Apr 05, 2012 Emilia P rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
It's grab whatever comic books on the library shelves you haven't read yet!
In wood-cutty/Lynda Barry style. Not quite narrative enough for me. I dunno... it did a good job of being a personal story and thus terribly disturbing, but, in comic book style, the universalizing aspect wasn't there. Ah well.
Kathy
Apr 10, 2007 Kathy rated it it was ok
This was okay. I liked Summer of Love a little better. This one was kind of disturbing because it was about how her father molested her. Apparently her whole family does not talk to her any more. But I think it was pretty important for her to get her story out.
Judith
Apr 10, 2011 Judith rated it liked it
Seemingly innocent book but...the subject matter is so repulsive!
I hope this is fiction for the author but that still means that it's a
fact of life for many young girls around the world at this moment.
I'm so sad after reading it :(
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Aug 18, 2013 Gonzalo Oyanedel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El incesto y la incompresión van moldeando la vida de Lily, quien desde pequeña debe recurrir a su independencia en sus años formativos para superar el miedo, la desilusión y la soledad.

Robin
Intense comics about a woman who was sexually abused by her father. Articulate and disturbing. Difficult to stomach, and an immensely powerful book.
Shoshanna
Feb 02, 2015 Shoshanna rated it really liked it
Really well written. Very touching. You get sucked in to the world. But the world is very upsetting, scary, terryfing, upsetting. :'( Horrifying.
Dipa
Aug 30, 2012 Dipa rated it really liked it
Very disturbing narrative. Well written, poignant, but doesn't offer very many solutions to the issue at hand.
Nat Smith
May 01, 2008 Nat Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liberation-comix
I love this piece. Also read Summer of Love by her as well. I wish she would write more...
Dec 10, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, graphic, hardback
The author's memoir of her abuse by her father. A very compelling read.
Lorra Fae
Jun 15, 2012 Lorra Fae rated it really liked it
seriously depressing but wonderfully emotional and beautifully drawn.
  • Little Nothings 1: The Curse of the Umbrella
  • Jokes and the Unconscious: A Graphic Novel
  • Clyde Fans, Book 1
  • Tales of Woodsman Pete
  • A Child's Life: Other Stories
  • Ed the Happy Clown (A Yummy Fur Book)