Start by marking “Daddy's Girl” as Want to Read:
Daddy's Girl

Daddy's Girl

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Daddy's Girl is a powerful book that uses a childlike graphic style to explore the adolescence of a young girl, Lily, whose life is being destroyed by sexual abuse. Drechsler pulls no punches in her depiction of incest, and many scenes are hard to read, but this book shows that comics can be a vehicle for serious subjects; the drawings pull the reader into her world more c ...more
Published December 31st 1996 by Fantagraphics Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Daddy's Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daddy's Girl

Steve
Daddy's Girl is a collection of short stories which deal with the frank subject matter of a girl's sexual abuse at the hands of her father. These individual stories - mostly centering around a young girl named Lily, though another follows a different young girl named Fran -- add up to create a fictionalized account of Drechsler's own experiences. Because the author has created these characters through which to tell her stories, it creates distance between the reader and the author which allows u ...more
Destiny Dawn Long
This was like a collection of short stories, the first set dealing with the character of Lily, and the latter with a character named Fran. There were strong themes of sexual abuse, including graphic depictions of the abuse taking place. The style of the art is reminiscent of the Expressionists--and her heavy lines and cluttered scenes definitely create a mood of anxiety. Most of the stories are in black and white, although there is one piece in color.

One thing that bothered me a bit was that I
Scott
Wow, lot of books titled Daddy's Girl. Anyway, very interesting, disturbing, and insightful graphic novel into the life of a girl who is sexually abused by her father. It's disgusting but neither exploitative nor artsy the way I imagine most movies would handle the subject matter. As a father who is by no means naive to the subject, it still made me think a great deal. How often does this happen? How would you know? Would your daughter even tell you if someone was sexually abusing her? Just a lo ...more
Lollipopwater Norton
This was the first comic I read that made me cry. The book follows Lily, a young teen struggling with being a daughter, a sister, and horribly, a victim of incest. Based upon the author's own life, the book is so honest and sad and beautiful.
Taneka
This graphic novel deals with the very touchy subject of incest and rape. The graphics make it a LITTLE easy to digest the subject, adding a childlike quality to it. You can sense the fear and complexity of Lily's situation (not wanting to hurt her mom with the truth and battling with her own self esteem) and you can understand the guilt of Franny's for having done nothing and placing the blame on herself because she didn't say no.

My heart was broken by the end of this book. I really wanted bot
Marta
Classifying this book as an "I really liked it!" is a little misleading and difficult to do because it feels somewhat dishonest. To be perfectly blunt, I did not like this book. I hated it. Reading it was terribly difficult and all the way from page 2 until the end I felt completely nauseous and almost had to vomit afterwards. But, sadly, that's what makes this book deserve those four stars.

Powerfully done, this collection of comics deals with the dark subject matter of continuing sexual abuse f
Catfat
Un incroyable roman graphique qui décrit les joies et les peines d'une jeune fille violée par son père incestueux, puis par un autre homme. C'est terrible de vérité criant de réalité et terrifiant d'atrocité. Et c'est aussi très touchant et traversé d'humanité. A mettre entre toutes les mains.
Federiken Masters
Aug 20, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casi nadie.
Recommended to Federiken by: Mala memoria
Culpa mía, de haber recordado que ya había leído otro comic de esta autora -y no me había gustado casi nada-, este ni lo agarraba. Pero caí, y aunque la premisa es interesante y me parece bien que se hable de estos temas en todos los medios, el desarrollo de la historia y el dibujo me parecieron horribles. Buenas intenciones pero con fea ejecución dan un feo resultado. La segunda historia me pareció bastante peor y el dibujo es tan "más de lo mismo" que al principio ni me di cuenta de que eran o ...more
It's hard to say if Daddy's Girl is a good book because the experience of reading it is so unpleasant. The second page of the book graphically depicts one of the characters being sexually abused by her father, which made me feel so ill it was hard to continue. I can understand why Drechsler wrote this book as a way to work through some of her own nightmares from her past, but it doesn't add anything new to the body of art and scholarship about rape and sexual abuse. She offers no hope for the ...more
Melissa
Aug 26, 2007 Melissa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of realistic & intense comics
Another Gravett GNRP read that I'm not over the moon for. It's hard to give a book about childhood sexual abuse a negative or half-hearted review--I don't know whether this was written out of an autobiographical need or just to raise awareness, like The Tale of One Bad Rat--but Daddy's Girl is a plodding, repetitive, if upsetting, book. There are no sympathetic characters present: you've got the abusive father, the cold-hearted mother, the distant & complicit sister.

Maybe I would have appre
Hol
So I haven’t read a book in six weeks, but I have been reading magazines, including a 2002 Comics Journal I picked up at Comicopia that features mile-long interviews with both Will Eisner and Debbie Drechsler. Bonanza! Handily, the library had a 2008 reissue of Daddy’s Girl. It is brilliant but excruciating. Almost every line is distorted and every surface riddled with repetitive detail so that the images seem to be thick with anxiety. Drechsler is unreserved in depicting violence—the child prot ...more
Minerva
This graphic novel is not for the faint of heart. Some of the images will shock you with the explicit nature of child abuse. Daddy's Girl gives a realistic account of the psycholoogical impact of sexual abuse on those who are victims by depicting all images in black and white. All the artistic elements within the panels reflect the trauma of abuse by through distorted facial expresssions and body shapes and heavy cross-hatching and use of patterns in all backgrounds. There is so much more to say ...more
Natalia
Scary... claustrophobic... good art. my only real gripe is that I kept expecting more of a graphic *novel*... I wanted a continuation of the same character's story over an arc, but the original character seemed to terminate about 3/4 of the way through and instead there are new stories about a different character... it felt unfinished and I was confused because the characters seemed similar but had different names. It's possible that I read it wrong. Help, anyone?
Rocco Versaci
"Daddy's Girl" is an incredibly disturbing yet powerful series of stories focused on troubled adolescent girls. The bulk of the book is given over to Lily, a confused adolescent, as she comes of age and experiences various traumas--the most serious of which is molestation by her father. Hers is a story that is, quite often, very difficult--but necessary--to read.
Erin
This is definitely a grim book - in the tradition of Allison Bechdel and Phoebe Gloekner it tells the story from the POV of an adolescent being sexually abused by her father. It's a sensitive book with sad an depressing adult figures. The illustrations are well done and convey the smothering atmosphere the girls grew up in.
Emilia P
It's grab whatever comic books on the library shelves you haven't read yet!
In wood-cutty/Lynda Barry style. Not quite narrative enough for me. I dunno... it did a good job of being a personal story and thus terribly disturbing, but, in comic book style, the universalizing aspect wasn't there. Ah well.
Kathy
This was okay. I liked Summer of Love a little better. This one was kind of disturbing because it was about how her father molested her. Apparently her whole family does not talk to her any more. But I think it was pretty important for her to get her story out.
Judith
Seemingly innocent book but...the subject matter is so repulsive!
I hope this is fiction for the author but that still means that it's a
fact of life for many young girls around the world at this moment.
I'm so sad after reading it :(
Gonzalo Oyanedel
El incesto y la incompresión van moldeando la vida de Lily, quien desde pequeña debe recurrir a su independencia en sus años formativos para superar el miedo, la desilusión y la soledad.

Robin
Intense comics about a woman who was sexually abused by her father. Articulate and disturbing. Difficult to stomach, and an immensely powerful book.
Ben
Really well written. Very touching. You get sucked in to the world. But the world is very upsetting, scary, terryfing, upsetting. :'( Horrifying.
Dipa
Very disturbing narrative. Well written, poignant, but doesn't offer very many solutions to the issue at hand.
Nat Smith
I love this piece. Also read Summer of Love by her as well. I wish she would write more...
The author's memoir of her abuse by her father. A very compelling read.
Lorra Fae
seriously depressing but wonderfully emotional and beautifully drawn.
Mary
The most disturbing thing I've ever read.
Greg
Very very graphic. Brutally honest and well told.
Randi
disturbingly creepy and great.
Amanda