Start by marking “Fever (McCalls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fever (McCalls, #1)

Fever (McCalls #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  772 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Rye McCall has a problem. He's got an obsessive father who's trying to ensure a dynasty, but Rye's rebellious and determined to lead his own life. And to make matters worse, he's just met a woman who may thwart both men's plans. For one brief, high-country summer, Rye manages the impossible--to keep his father's world at bay. But he's lost control of his own plans--he's fa ...more
Published January 1st 1999 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fever

Heart of Fire by Linda HowardTinted Lenses by Jackie WilliamsThe Unseen by Sabrina DevonshireMangroves and Monsters by Sharon C. PenningtonMidnight Rainbow by Linda Howard
Jungle Love
30th out of 63 books — 104 voters
Heart of Fire by Linda HowardMidnight Rainbow by Linda HowardShow No Fear by Marliss MeltonAmazon Lily by Theresa WeirOut of Control by Suzanne Brockmann
Best Contemporary Romance Set in Jungle
21st out of 31 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Ana Maria Rînceanu
Let's get one thing straight: I hate read this book in one sitting. I loved Lisa and hated Rye. He's not worth a damn. I hate how this book ended also, he got off too easy.

But Elizabeth Lowell can sure as hell write a good story, so I'll be reading more from her. Preferably books with less of an asshole/misogynist male lead (I care very little for his remorse) and maybe more of a stand-up-for-yourself-girl heroine (although I can sort of understand Lisa's reactions given the situation).
Missy Ann
Dec 31, 2010 Missy Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
All the things that make old school romance old school, the good, the bad, the cliches. I have a true unhealthy love for this book. If you love the alpha hero in today's books you must read this to see where he's come from.
Donnelle
Apr 11, 2010 Donnelle rated it really liked it
This book doesn't offer anything in the way of unpredictability or twists. However, what it does offer is a chemistry-filled love story that evokes surprisingly powerful emotions.

The story is not long, but Lowell expects readers to buy that two people who are nearly polar opposites in terms of temperament, life experiences, etc., can meet, fall in love, deal with the requisite scenario that tears them apart, and somehow find their way back to each other, all in less than 250 pages. What I didn'
Jewel
Mar 17, 2014 Jewel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ummmm... Yeah. This book was supposedly published in 1988, but I think it was written in 1958. It contains a misogynistic "hero" who believes all women are whores and gold diggers. It contains the belief that a 20 year old girl is only interested in "catching a husband." It contains the concept that a woman should be judged by her cooking and homemaking abilities. I mean, it does not translate well to modern times.

And yet... It is compulsively readable. It is a ball of out-dated cheese, but I w
Shakira
Oct 11, 2015 Shakira rated it it was ok
I really don't get the popularity of this book. The hero is a chauvinist neanderthal who gets angry at the drop of a hat, which is exasperating especially when he is at fault. Dialogues like " Let me do the thinking" and his attitude towards the mere suggestion that Lisa is looking for a husband made my blood boil. I gave it 2 stars since Lisa's complete lack of knowledge about modern implements and the way of life were described very well. Also, other descriptions of how she measured time, how ...more
Lisa
Jan 30, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
Anyone who has read Elizabeth Lowell's early books knows that she has a very specific formula. A hero who hates all women for some reason and treats the unbelievably naive heroine like dirt for most of the book before magically saying "I love you" at the end. Throw in A LOT of purple prose, particularly in the over-long sex scenes and that's pretty much every single one of her books. And while that same formula is on full display in FEVER, I'd say this was one of the least objectionable examples ...more
Elena
Sep 06, 2015 Elena rated it it was ok
2.5*
Finished this one in a day... It was ok, but ... Meh!
The fact that it was dated wasn't even the biggest problem- it was that the heroine was completely unrelatable to and the hero was a chauvinist! Lisa, was a saint, a martyr! Plus she was totally clueless to how this world and things in it work! To make things more annoying, she didn't seem to be adapting - no, she seemed to live her life in America as if she were still part of a Zulu tribe.... And this was supposed to make her special an
Jamie Holcomb
Dec 30, 2015 Jamie Holcomb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, romance
Lowell’s early work doesn’t actually age very well. While her characters certainly have good chemistry, her early heroes tend to be tainted by misogyny that is never quite adequately erased by the happy ending. Rye “Boss Mac” MacCall is no exception; he’s convinced that pretty much all women are gold diggers out for his fortune. The heroine is a nubile twenty-year-old untained by Western civilization, since she’s been raised overseas by anthropologist parents. Her extreme vulnerability on this f ...more
Thenia
Apr 03, 2016 Thenia rated it liked it
The story of Lisa, who has grown up among different tribes where she didn't belong, and Rye, a rich rancher who was only ever pursued for his money.

The two meet when Lisa is observing plants at a meadow near his ranch one summer and mistakes him for a cowhand. He does not correct that misunderstanding, wanting for once to feel wanted for himself instead of his money, and so their romance begins.

A short, sweet romance between a couple that are just what the other needs.

Next comes Rye's sister Cyn
Melanie♥
Narrated by Laural Merlington.
Great interpretation of an old favorite.
JoAnne
Dec 05, 2014 JoAnne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, set-in-utah
Lisa is a different kind of woman. She was raised in primitive (to Americans) places. Her parents are anthropologists and they raised her in the field as they were studying different cultures. She came to America to see if she fit in there. Her parents sent her to find a husband. A professor friend of her parents arranged for her to have a summer job watching plants grow in a meadow in Utah. He is also charged with finding her a husband. But Lisa doesn't really want that. She meets Rye, a cowhan ...more
Brianna
When I got 150 pages into the book I had already decided how I was going to write my review and the amount of stars I would give, then I reach the last little bit and couldn't go through with it. Instead of two, I gave it three, although that last 100 pages deserve four stars.

In short, ans blunt, Fever is about a man named Rye who is rich and his father wants an heir but Rye doesn't want the women he sends until he meets a woman named Lisa, who happens to be his hired hand.

Of course, the two are
Pat
Nov 13, 2013 Pat rated it really liked it
My Booklist review:

The first hardcover edition of Lowell’s romance proves that classics never go out of style. Rancher Ryan McCall, son of a legendary and wealthy Houstonite, has been hounded by his father all his adult life to get married and start procreating. His father is so adamant about this that he has even resorted to sending women to Ryan’s Utah ranch to entice him. But Ryan wants a woman who wants him, not his money. He’s surprised to find Lisa Johansen in his upper meadow recording gr
Connie
Nov 23, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it
FEVER by Elizabeth Lowell is 248 pages in paperback form. This is #1 in
The McCall Series.

Brief Description:

FROM THE FRYING PAN ...

Lisa Johansen, world traveler, had tasted the exotic and seen the extraordinary. But when a rancher called Rye came into her life, he ignited a feverish desire foreign to her mind, her body, her soul . . ..

Rye was certain Lisa was like the gold-digging women in his past. He'd been burned before, and he vowed he would make no more mistakes. Still, he found it hard to r
Donna Cody
Feb 17, 2016 Donna Cody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The meadow of Love

This was the most beautiful, sensual book I have ever read. I can picture the character of Lisa and Rye. The joy of discovering love and of living only for now took away the bonds of limitation or was summer the end. Read the book to find out.

Asha
Dec 08, 2015 Asha rated it liked it
I did enjoy reading this book and at times i found the settings and chemistry involving Rye and Lisa to be truly romance novel beautiful. On the other hand looking deeper i was frustrated by Rye's attitude, Lisa's lack thereof and thought that it all wrapped up too quickly albeit sweetly.
Shakira
Dec 19, 2015 Shakira rated it it was ok
Daniela
Jun 14, 2014 Daniela rated it it was amazing
This book started me on Elizabeth Lowell, and its sweetness makes it one of my favorites by her.
GuisBell
Feb 25, 2016 GuisBell rated it really liked it
Shelves: bueno
Estuvo muy linda, al final me hizo derramar muchas muchísimas :( lágrimas. ...more
Diane
Jun 15, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was way different than the usual love story. I really enjoyed it!
Mskychick
Jun 01, 2014 Mskychick rated it liked it
2-1/2 stars
Bonita
Nov 27, 2014 Bonita rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, western
It's been a while since I read this book. I still enjoy the simplicity of Lisa.
Rakisha
Feb 17, 2014 Rakisha added it
Shelves: audiobooks, dnf
Not my cup of tea. I need my heroines to be a little more experienced.
Dawn
Jun 16, 2016 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Nice story; great chemistry between the two main characters. I'd love to read a story about Lassiter, the silver-haired ranch hand who has some kind of unexplained charisma that attracts all the ladies. He's a hoot. My one complaint about this particular story is the blechy overuse of the phrase "velvet fever". Shudder.
C K
Oct 10, 2012 C K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The McCall's books are all great reads. This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
C K
Oct 10, 2012 C K rated it it was amazing
The McCall's series is great !!!!! This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Christie
Jul 30, 2013 Christie rated it did not like it
Oh my my my... So predictable, so melodramatic, such dramatic descriptions, such gender stereotypes, such really stupid single-dimensional characters.... So why did I read the whole book? Great sex scenes!
mad4rombks
Jul 17, 2012 mad4rombks rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read, 2012-reads
I read this one when it first came out years ago. After the 2 back to back DNF books I had recently, I went looking for some keepers to reread just to get those out of my head. I adored Rye & Lisa.
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
Lisa' purity and innocence was evident in all she did. "The velvet fever known as love is bounded neither by season nor by place, nor by time."

Lowell has earned a follower on my first read by her.
Kimmie
Jan 24, 2013 Kimmie rated it liked it
A typical trashy romance. A quick, easy beach read. Not my favorite genre, but nothing was wrong with the writing style or plot, so it gets a 3. Exactly what you'd expect. Enjoy!
  • The Ruby
  • Mistress and Mother
  • True Heart (Clan MacKenzie #5)
  • A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Harlequin Desire, No 658)
  • Annie and the Outlaw
  • The Girl Nobody Wanted
  • The Virgin's Price
  • A Question of Pride
  • Heartbreaker (Kell Sabin, #3)
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)
  • Breathless for the Bachelor (Texas Cattleman's Club: The Stolen Baby, #4)
  • His Wedding Ring of Revenge
  • Chances Are
  • The Rawhide Man
  • Till Dawn Tames the Night
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...

McCalls (2 books)
  • Dark Fire (McCalls, #2)