Fever (McCalls, #1)

Fever (McCalls #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  525 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Rye McCall has a problem. He's got an obsessive father who's trying to ensure a dynasty, but Rye's rebellious and determined to lead his own life. And to make matters worse, he's just met a woman who may thwart both men's plans. For one brief, high-country summer, Rye manages the impossible--to keep his father's world at bay. But he's lost control of his own plans--he's fa...more
Published January 1st 1999 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 1988)

Tinted Lenses by Jackie WilliamsThe Unseen by Sabrina DevonshireHeart of Fire by Linda HowardMangroves and Monsters, First Edition by Sharon C. PenningtonOut of Control by Suzanne Brockmann
Jungle Love
32nd out of 54 books — 94 voters
Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'ConnellTexas Destiny by Lorraine HeathThe Texan's Wager by Jodi ThomasDark Warrior by Lenore WolfeSing My Name by Ellen O'Connell
Favorite Western/Cowboy Romance Novels
357th out of 410 books — 400 voters

More lists with this book...

Missy Ann
All the things that make old school romance old school, the good, the bad, the cliches. I have a true unhealthy love for this book. If you love the alpha hero in today's books you must read this to see where he's come from.
Jewel
Ummmm... Yeah. This book was supposedly published in 1988, but I think it was written in 1958. It contains a misogynistic "hero" who believes all women are whores and gold diggers. It contains the belief that a 20 year old girl is only interested in "catching a husband." It contains the concept that a woman should be judged by her cooking and homemaking abilities. I mean, it does not translate well to modern times.

And yet... It is compulsively readable. It is a ball of out-dated cheese, but I w...more
Paige
This book doesn't offer anything in the way of unpredictability or twists. However, what it does offer is a chemistry-filled love story that evokes surprisingly powerful emotions.

The story is not long, but Lowell expects readers to buy that two people who are nearly polar opposites in terms of temperament, life experiences, etc., can meet, fall in love, deal with the requisite scenario that tears them apart, and somehow find their way back to each other, all in less than 250 pages. What I didn'...more
Brianna
When I got 150 pages into the book I had already decided how I was going to write my review and the amount of stars I would give, then I reach the last little bit and couldn't go through with it. Instead of two, I gave it three, although that last 100 pages deserve four stars.

In short, ans blunt, Fever is about a man named Rye who is rich and his father wants an heir but Rye doesn't want the women he sends until he meets a woman named Lisa, who happens to be his hired hand.

Of course, the two are...more
Patois
My Booklist review:

The first hardcover edition of Lowell’s romance proves that classics never go out of style. Rancher Ryan McCall, son of a legendary and wealthy Houstonite, has been hounded by his father all his adult life to get married and start procreating. His father is so adamant about this that he has even resorted to sending women to Ryan’s Utah ranch to entice him. But Ryan wants a woman who wants him, not his money. He’s surprised to find Lisa Johansen in his upper meadow recording gr...more
Connie
FEVER by Elizabeth Lowell is 248 pages in paperback form. This is #1 in
The McCall Series.

Brief Description:

FROM THE FRYING PAN ...

Lisa Johansen, world traveler, had tasted the exotic and seen the extraordinary. But when a rancher called Rye came into her life, he ignited a feverish desire foreign to her mind, her body, her soul . . ..

Rye was certain Lisa was like the gold-digging women in his past. He'd been burned before, and he vowed he would make no more mistakes. Still, he found it hard to r...more
Rakisha
Feb 17, 2014 Rakisha added it
Shelves: audiobooks, dnf
Not my cup of tea. I need my heroines to be a little more experienced.
C K
The McCall's books are all great reads. This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
C K
The McCall's series is great !!!!! This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Christie
Oh my my my... So predictable, so melodramatic, such dramatic descriptions, such gender stereotypes, such really stupid single-dimensional characters.... So why did I read the whole book? Great sex scenes!
mad4rombks
I read this one when it first came out years ago. After the 2 back to back DNF books I had recently, I went looking for some keepers to reread just to get those out of my head. I adored Rye & Lisa.
Antoinette the Book Junkie
Lisa' purity and innocence was evident in all she did. "The velvet fever known as love is bounded neither by season nor by place, nor by time."

Lowell has earned a follower on my first read by her.
Kimmie
A typical trashy romance. A quick, easy beach read. Not my favorite genre, but nothing was wrong with the writing style or plot, so it gets a 3. Exactly what you'd expect. Enjoy!
E_bookpushers
Digital re-release - Certain parts make me tear up every time. Love how Lowell described non-Western or tribal time.
Monica
1988 title recently recorded as an audio. Obviously dated, but still a good Lowell "read."
Hirosasazaki Sasazaki
cute heroine.perhaps the best heroine for me.
she's fragile.story is also good.
Melanie♥
Narrated by Laural Merlington.
Great interpretation of an old favorite.
Shari

Hot and steamy love story from beginning to end.
Lorena
Love any book by this author. review latet
Mandy
Very easy to read and beyond predictable.
Cem73
Titre vf : Dans la fièvre de l'été
Kathleen
A sweet love story.
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Léonie
Léonie marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
  • The Diamond Tiger
  • Betrothed (Montagues, #2)
  • Till Dawn Tames the Night
  • True Heart (Clan MacKenzie #5)
  • Sale Or Return Bride
  • Contract Baby (The Husband Hunters, #3)
  • Taken: The Spaniard's Virgin (Mediterranean Brides, #2)
  • Lingering Melody
  • The Princess Bride (Silhouette Romance , No 1282)
  • A Lady of the West (Western Ladies, #1)
  • Dark Dominion
  • The Bride Thief
  • A Question of Pride
  • Bought By The Greek Tycoon
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one non-fiction book. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. The novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery to suspense.

In 1982, Ann began publishing as Elizabeth Lowell. Under that name she has received numerous p...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...
Untamed (Medieval, #1) Amber Beach (Donovan, #1) Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3) Enchanted (Medieval, #3) Jade Island (Donovan, #2)