Start by marking “Very Funny, Elizabeth (American Girls: Felicity)” as Want to Read:
Very Funny, Elizabeth (American Girls: Felicity)

Very Funny, Elizabeth (American Girls: Felicity #7)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  565 ratings  ·  39 reviews
This companion book to the Felicity series features Felicity's best friend, Elizabeth Cole, an English girl from a prominent Loyalist family. The girls' favorite pastime is teasing Elizabeth's annoying sister, Annabelle. When Annabelle becomes engaged, Felicity and Elizabeth prove that they are the merriest mischief-makers in Virginia. The book includes a nonfiction "Looki ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published August 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Very Funny, Elizabeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Very Funny, Elizabeth

Meet Samantha by Susan S. AdlerMeet Felicity by Valerie TrippMeet Addy by Connie Rose PorterMeet Molly by Valerie TrippChanges for Molly by Valerie Tripp
An American Girl
62nd out of 158 books — 46 voters
Firelight by Sophie JordanCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareAngelfire by Courtney Allison MoultonCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Redheads
53rd out of 114 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
One of the least successful American Girl books to me. Felicity and Elizabeth's tricks are far more cruel than funny. And although I liked that this book chose to focus on marriage (not exactly common in this line), I thought the status quo restoring ending was unrealistic. The Looking Back section was good, though.
Kassi C.
It was terribly horrible! Tooo prissy!!!!!!!!! This book is to me said in 3 words. I. HATED. IT!!!!And heres a piece of advice... NEVER READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Becky Keir Grace
Elizabeth and her best friend, Felicity, love to play tricks on Elizabeth's snobby older sister, Annabelle. Then Annabelle is offered a proposal of marriage to a Lord and the chance to move back to England,which is what she wanted so badly! The Lord's sister, Priscilla, comes to teach Annabelle to behave like a "lady" and Elizabeth decides to tag along to play little tricks on her sister. What started as a little fun, backfires terribly on Elizabeth, so now she tries to make things right.

It was
Marya
Ok, sure, this book was specifically created to sell a doll (in this case, Elizabeth, the best friend of main character Felicity. But then, isn't that true of EVERY American Girl book? It was nice to be able to see the same setting, characters, and conventions but from a different point of view. That's actually a pretty mature, adult move that is more typical in adult literary novels. Here, my little one gets to explore that concept in an early chapter book.
Ashley
Elizabeth Cole and her best friend, Felicity, are "the merriest girls in Virginia" - at least that's what Felicity's father calls them.

The merry friends think it's very funny to play tricks on Elizabeth's snobby older sister, Annabelle. When Annabelle becomes engaged, Elizabeth and Felicity's mischief heats up - until Elizabeth finds herself in big trouble! Can the girls find a way to cool things down?

I love the tricks Elizabeth and Felicity play on Annabelle and an unsuspecting guest.

They'll ke
Kristin
Elizabeth's older sister, Annabelle, is excited to marry an English lord, until she meets his overbearing sister. This book is full of tricks and fun, played on the older, snobby sister. It ends with a good lesson learned--as the girls fully appreciate what they really value in life. The chapter on history focuses on a marriage in the 1770s. Another good book in the American Girl series!
Reading with Cats
Mean-spirited pranks are not funny or cute; they're just obnoxious.
Snorkle
I did not like this book. I thought the tricks that the two "merriest girls in Virginia" played on people were on the verge of cruel. I know the author tried to soften them by saying that they were doing them for the benefit of Annabelle or whoever, but I did not see how it was "helping" them improve their personality. The story was unrealistic and I didn't believe the ending. I wouldn't recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Rachel
When Elizabeth was introduced as a character in the Felicity books, she had brown hair, however when Matel decided to make her a doll, they changed her hair to blond. So suddenly Elizabeth had blond hair in her book. I liked this book, but not as much as the Felicity books. It's hard to place this story in the timeline of the books and the coming conflict doesn't seem to affect Elizabeth's family as much as it should (although there is some talk of it being safer for Elizabeth and her sister to ...more
$hanel
Very Funny Elizabeth is about Elizabeth Cole and her best friend Felicity Merriman living in the 1870`s. The two best friend`s love to gang up and play pranks on Elizabeth`s older sister AnnaBell (I think that`s her name) who is a total snob and is about to get married to a Lord. This means that there are many wedding plans going on and more pranks for Felicity and Elizabeth to play on AnnaBell. When one joke goes too far Elizabeth and Felicity get in a lot of trouble and may not be able to atte ...more
Miri
This book is about Felicity's best friend Elizabeth Cole. The girls love to play tricks on Elizabeth's older sister Annabelle, who thinks she so proper and perfect. When Annabelle gets a letter or marriage from a very prominent family she jumps at the chance to become Lady Lacey. Witch Annabelle more proper than ever, Elizabeth plays a trick that ends up backfiring terribly. Can Elizabeth fix her mistake or will she have to face the terrible consequences of her actions?
Nicole
This was my first American Girl book. I thought it was a cute story. I enjoyed how the author included insights into what the customs and attitudes toward dating and marriage were at the time, and how that helped to make the story a more authentic glimpse into the time period. I'll definitely pick up more of these.
Michelle
The girls learn something new about themselves and not what others tell them.
Anna
So Elizabeth's sister Annabelle is getting married to Lord Harry. Well when they come Lord Harry's sister had to teach Annabelle and Elizabeth for when they go to England. But Elizabeth does not want to go so she put snow in Lord Harry's sisters wig what will happen? read the book to find out.
Amanda Wheet
Another nice addition to Felicity's world. This allows girls to learn a bit more about the characters, along with an understanding of the differences in class system and marriage in Colonial America. Valerie Tripp embraces these characters and has created a world for them.
Grandma Sue
I've finished reading my first American Girls book. It's a chapter book about daily life of girls in colonial times. It made me want to visit Williamsburg, Virginia, where the characters lived. I'm anxious to read my granddaughter's review.
Becky
Felicity is a character but not the focus. More exaggerated characters than a lot of the American Girl books, almost caricatures. Takes a poke at marriage customs and the desire to be proper.
Amber
A review by Ashlyn: I think they played really good pranks on Annabelle and I couldn't stop reading it because it was such a good book. It was hard to put it down.
Ashley
Two colonial girls being stinkers and playing tricks--Abby loved it.
Rosaleen Leclair
I love the American girl doll books! I loved this book because it made me laugh in almost every chapter! The genre of this book is historical fiction.
Kristine Pratt
I'm not sure that it's right to play pranks to make your point. This book left me a little bit disturbed by EVERYONE's behavior. Really, Elizabeth?
Abigail
Nov 09, 2008 Abigail rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Abigail by: Myself because I love American Girl.
I learned and want to remember is that Elizabeth Cole and Felicity Meryman are really friends and always teases Elizabeth's older sister Annabell.
Holly Letson
This is a book about Felicity's best friend, Elizabeth. And, for such a short book, it seemed to drag on and on. I was very glad when it was over.
Jennifer Covington
Good book. The girls enjoyed it very much. Again, the antics of teasing and such are a little beyond what I would be pleased with...
Miss Clark

Companion book to the Felicity Merriman series. This time Elizabeth Cole gets to tell some of her story.
Louisa
One of those books that doesn't have it all, and it sure is out there. Keep trying, Valerie Tripp!
Traci
The book came with the doll.

It was cute! A very sweet little standalone story.
Emily
Rebekah insisted I include this. She loved it, and the 5 stars are hers.
SmokeyPookie
Caitlin (7) liked it, but doesn't want to own it.
Shimmywith4
A very fun read, but a big example of mischief.
Squeaky Clean Rea...: 3 AmericanGirl Books - Giveaway! 1 4 Nov 17, 2011 07:21AM
Clean Reads: 3 AmericanGirl Books - Giveaway! 1 13 Nov 17, 2011 07:10AM
Giveaways and Con...: 3 AmericanGirl Books - Giveaway! 1 4 Nov 17, 2011 07:09AM
Free Book Giveaway: 3 AmericanGirl Books - Giveaway! 1 5 Nov 17, 2011 07:07AM
  • Kaya's Escape! (American Girls: Kaya, #2)
  • Julie's Journey (American Girls: Julie, #5)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
  • Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)
  • Addy Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Addy, #5)
  • The Curse of Ravenscourt: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t
More about Valerie Tripp...

American Girls: Felicity (6 books)
  • Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1)
  • Felicity Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Felicity, #2)
  • Felicity's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Felicity, #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Felicity! A Springtime Story (American Girls: Felicity, #4)
  • Felicity Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Felicity, #5)
  • Changes for Felicity: A Winter Story (American Girls: Felicity, #6)
Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1) Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1) Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection) Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)