Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!

Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust! (Fancy Nancy)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  28 reviews
When Nancy has to put together a report on her great-grandfather for school, she can't help but embellish. Nancy's exaggeration almost lands her in hot water in this warm family story. Full color.
Unknown Binding, 24 pages
Published July 28th 2009 by HarperFestival

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!

Kathryn
Okay, I admit it, I kind of love Fancy Nancy ;-) And I love seasonal books. Yet, I held off on getting this one because I was afraid it would be too gimmicky with the "stickers inside!" and all that. It just screams, "BUY ME!", like a box of cereal with a toy inside; I didn't want this to be the book equivalent of frosted-chocolate-sugar-coated-flakes...

Fortunately, it's a delightful treat for Halloween that won't leave you with "empty calories." The illustrations are darling and I love the "fan...more
Diane

Fancy Nancy: Halloween.... or Bust is the perfect October read for your little Fancy Girl. Nancy shows you that Halloween is ALL about dressing up. Nancy knows how to make everything even more fancy, with special touches, and special FANCY words that give the ordinary a new meaning. Here are just a few of the new words Fancy Nancy introduces the young readers to:

* Unique - one of a kind
* bonbons -fancy candy
* disastrous - very bad

Nancy's Halloween Party included games such as, pin the tail on...more
Miri
The description of this book is incorrect!

Nancy is going to a Halloween party, she's going as a bunch of grapes, her friend Bree is going as a strawberry. The party starts out great, with lots of games and food, but then the purple balloons Nancy used in her costume get popped one by one and she's left wearing a dull brown leotard. There are stickers included in the book and on the last page you're instructed to create a new costume for Nancy out of them.
Rosa Cline
In this Nancy book she and her family get ready for Halloween with costumes and candy. They go to a costume party and she's a bunch of grapes. She has balloons as her grapes but as she plays the balloons start popping at the end of the book she has none left...
Jason Slayton
Heather
28 months - Thought O would like this book because she's recently gotten into dressing up. I'm not a big fan of books with stickers but of course that part of it was a big hit. Love the grape costume but generally speaking it's just an ok story. I look forward to reading the original Fancy Nancy to see what makes Nancy so popular.
Pauline
I have to admit - I am a sucker for Fancy Nancy! She is so imaginative and creative & I love the way challenging vocabulary is introduced into her stories.
This one is a very cute story about her Halloween costume and how everything seems to go wrong...but the readers get to help in the end with adding stickers to the last page!
Sheri
What can I say that hasn't already been said before? Love Fancy Nancy! This book is just as fun as all the others. Maybe more so since you have the fun option of using stickers in this one (a major bonus for my McKenna). One day I will own every Fancy Nancy book, and I will cherish each and every one!
Hannah Sheffield
This book would be a great book to read to students on Halloween. After reading this book a teacher could let the children all take turns talking about their costumes. They could even take turns choosing a new costume for Nancy sense her grape costume didn't work out.
Shelby Pfleiger
This adorable story is hard not to love. We meet Nancy and discover that she has a big problem at the Halloween costume party and the reader is the one to solve her problem! Fun and colorful illustrations make this story easy to enjoy for young girls!
Andrea
Fancy Nancy books are always great as vocab boosters. It is nice to see a book that adds more challenging words for the kids. This book is, of course, about Halloween and dressing up and Nancy's costume failure (which is where the bust comes in). Cute.
Josiah
Fancy Nancy really gives off kind of a softer Junie B. Jones vibe, which I find appealing. There are several funny parts to this story that made me smile, and the overall effect of the book is very nice. I would give it one and a half stars.
Nancy Jo Lambert
So recently, my daughter has become extremely interested in Fancy Nancy. So, we have been reading some of the Fancy Nancy series. This series is lots of fun and all the heart warming moments are a nice touch to the rather flouncy, fancy moments.
Jodi Young
fancy Nancy is a wonderful character. This is a book that children will love to have read aloud. In the classroom this book will be useful when talking about using imagination, talking about Adjectives, Halloween, and it could just be a fun read.
Teri
We really liked this story--especially how creative Fancy Nancy is with her costume. But at the end--you create a new costume for Nancy with the stickers in the book--which really lends itself to only one reading, and kind of a crappy ending.
Stephanie
My kids love this book and I love Fancy Nancy books. It is a nice book to read at Halloween time.

Full Review: http://herreviewsofbooksmoviesandever...
This is a really cute book about a costume party. It's not scary so I think it would be good in the classroom. Students could use their creative side when reading this book and design their own costume.
Katie Pszczola
Cute Fancy Nancy Halloween themed book. This story had tons of descriptive words throughout the story and then gives an easy word that means the same thing. Helpful to expand vocabulary!
Jeeperz96
I didn't think it as good as the original Fancy Nancy or Fancy Nancy Poison Ivy Expert but I love the illustrations and the concept.
Karen
Another good book from my daughter's favorite series. The story was cute and the stickers to "dress" Nancy were a huge hit.
Heather
Fancy Nancy books are a delight! The colors are beautiful I love the artwork and the stories are very sweet.
Heather
Always faced with some new trial we get to see how Nancy overcomes them and makes the best with what she has.
Brandi Streeval
bought my daughter this and read it to her very cute book she loved it she loves fancy Nancy
Ben Campbell
This book was not my type. I could definitely see some female students liking this one.
Inspired Kathy
I love reading Fancy Nancy to my 4 year old daughter. Cute pictures, easy text.
Marilyn
My Z LOVES this girl.
Michelle
I love Fancy Nancy.
  • Pinkalicious: Pink around the Rink
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • A Very Brave Witch
  • Biscuit Visits the Big City
  • You Are My Miracle
  • Tea for Ruby
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Little Goblins Ten
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse!
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • The Night Before First Grade
  • Dragon's Halloween
  • Pumpkin Town!  Or, Nothing Is Better and Worse Than Pumpkins
  • Gingerbread Friends
  • Too Many Pumpkins
  • Daddy Hugs
  • The Runaway Mummy: A Petrifying Parody
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website
More about Jane O'Connor...
Fancy Nancy Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany