Start by marking “Getting Started with Arduino” as Want to Read:
Getting Started with Arduino

Getting Started with Arduino

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  420 ratings  ·  41 reviews
This valuable little book offers a thorough introduction to the open-source electronics prototyping platform that's taking the design and hobbyist world by storm. Getting Started with Arduino gives you lots of ideas for Arduino projects and helps you get going on them right away. From getting organized to putting the final touches on your prototype, all the information you ...more
Published March 31st 2009 by Maker Media, Inc (first published October 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started with Arduino, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started with Arduino

Joseph Moskie
Only 90 pages of real text, the rest are appendices. There are also a lot of giant page-sized diagrams that aren't really all that needed.

All in all the book was a lot less technical than I had thought it would be. I was expecting something a little more in-depth, bridging the Arduino with the electronics themselves. All the book really ended up being was "make an LED blink, now make it blink with a button, now make it blink with a photosensor."

They briefly touched on what the ATMEGA chip was, a
Jason Miller
Just read this book in an effort to learn some electronics. I would have thought that a book about microprocessors and physical computing would be putting the cart before the horse in this regard, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the advice I'd been given was right - this is a nice way to learn about putting together circuits. That the circuits have sensors and require a bit of coding to get working make them even more fun (for me) to learn about.

This book is short, very straightf
Hilary
This was really an excellent book for arduino beginners. Be careful, however, if you're an engineer it specifically states that you aren't really the intended audience. The author, who is one of the leaders of the arduino project, recommends his book for designers and cracks a few jokes about engineers. The language can seem like you are being talked down to, but that could have just been because I have taken a C programming course in the past. There are a couple tutorials that are definitely us ...more
Todd N
I read through this quick book last night instead of falling asleep. I didn't get much done at work today, but it was worth it.

This is a great introduction to the Arduino microcontroller project. It's as open source as all get out -- the hardware designs, the IDE, etc. are all under open source license. I saw a couple Arduino compatible boards at Fry's this week, and I've been debating buying one to fool around with it and to introduce my kids to the wonderful world of electronic prototyping on
Scott Cinsavich
An indispensable introduction to Arduino and the Processing code used to program it. Saves quite a bit of time scrolling through the web. Also includes sample projects to get one started on this versatile and enjoyable product. It's an easy read.
Faisal Nawab
This book provides an introduction to Arduino. It is meant for an audience with no background in computer programming and hardware. It can be very boring and naive for a reader with background in programming/hardware. However, it would be really good for a geek-in-the-making teenager or a non-technical professional that would like to use micro-controllers in his field.

The book's method is a hand-on experience, mostly examples. It also provides information about the community and history of Ardui
to'c
A very good and very quick intro to using the Arduino family of microcontrollers. Start with this one.
Kaptin Dandy
This is a great book for anyone looking to learn about electronics. No prior knowledge is required. As the title says the book is about getting started with Arduino.

Quoting the Arduino website; "Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software. It's intended for artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive objects or environments."

This book takes you from the basics of electronics and blinking a small
Bill White
Excellent little book for getting started with simple and cheap electronic controller circuits.
John Purvis
Good introduction to the Arduino.
Christina G
Really basic intro to Arduino. While it doesn't have enough meat to it to be the only beginner's guide you'll need, Banzi does explain things quite lucidly. Good companion to Beginning Arduino, which is the other guidebook I'm using right now.
Fabian
Como artista le daría un 5 por lo fácil que es entenderlo. Como ingeniero le daría un 3 por lo fácil que es entenderlo. Completamente amigable con el usuario, accesible para cualquiera, noob o no. Es fácil encontrar ciertas cosas medio "para dummies" pero siendo objetivo resulta un buen libro para empezar. Punto medio de ingeniero/artista, 4 estrellas.
Steve
Well done smaller book that hits the nail on the head. I've been playing these processors for several years. The book has instantly been scooped up to be read by my youngest, who wants to do the projects! Since getting youngsters (and oldsters) to the experiment with Arduinos is the goal - it has hit a home run!
José
El libro es muy simple y básico, una buena introducción a Arduino para quienes no poseen conocimientos de Electrónica. Para los lectores que si, es una muestra del potencial de este micro-controlador partiendo te las operaciones más simples que se pueden realizar.
Andrew Theken
Nice primer for doing something interesting things with an Arduino. Minimal treatment of the electronics principles, and limited coverage of electronic circuit schematics. Still, for the absolute beginner, this is a good, inexpensive introduction.
Richard
A quick and useful read. I can't say I've gained a huge amount from this book having taken a three hour Arduino course, but there is some useful background, hints and inspiration. Recommended if you've a complete Arduino novice.
Chris
informative and clever, this book pretty much gave me what I was expecting from it and I learned a few new extra things along the way. would have liked it to have been a little longer though, and to go into more complex projects.
-kevin-
A brief introduction that focuses on programming. I was hoping it would focus on electronics a bit more, but I think I learned what I needed plus a bit extra.

Now it is off to exploring and seeing if I can build a few toys.
Wayland He
This is an okay book for complete beginners who know nothing at all about electronics. I was hoping that they would go into a little bit more depth, but they just gave analogies for every electrical concept.
Miles
This was a really excellent introduction to the world of physical computing. Some funny stories, lots of helpful beginning tips and background for non-programmers, non-electricians.
Porter
This book/booklet is good at what it does, but I found it largely unnecessary -- the arduino tutorials on the main arduino website do just as good a job at teaching you these same concepts.
Harrison
Dec 13, 2011 Harrison rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Arduino beginners
This manual is a fantastic guide to the Arduino beginner. It explains each Processing command in detail and shows organized diagrams about how and where to plug things in.
Chrissy
The second time through it is making more sense. Could do it all the first time, but didn't really know exactly what it was I was doing. A fast way to just get started.
Ray
This is a tiny book, but was worth the quick read. Gave me some insight into the ideals that went into Arduino and gave me some quick baseline knowledge to start working from.
Mario D'Amore
A good introduction for absolute beginners or for very smart kids.
I know a little about microcontrollers and programming languages, but that was enough!
Tim
Amazing crash course in Arduino. It teaches you lots of stuff but you'll still be full of questions after you are done (but in a real good way)
Christian
Great introduction to Arduino. Many will find it oversimplified, but it's still a great way to get jump started, especially if you're a bit rusty.
Craig
Great book for its target audience. It's brief and will leave you wanting more - hence the "getting started" in the title.
Joe
A good introductiom to most of the "hows" a person new to Arduino would need, but very light on the more important "whys".
Ian Corbitt
Very basic introduction to using the Arduino.

Perfect for those with no experience with electronics or Arduino.
  • Getting Started with Processing
  • MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery
  • Making Things Talk: Practical Methods for Connecting Physical Objects
  • Arduino Cookbook
  • Learning Processing: A Beginner's Guide to Programming Images, Animation, and Interaction
  • 30 Arduino Projects for the Evil Genius
  • Programming Interactivity: A Designer's Guide to Processing, Arduino, and Openframeworks
  • Bash Cookbook: Solutions and Examples for Bash Users
  • Classic Shell Scripting: Hidden Commands that Unlock the Power of Unix
  • Visualizing Data: Exploring and Explaining Data with the Processing Environment
  • Programming Windows
  • The Art of Electronics
  • Getting Started in Electronics
  • Neuro-Linguistic Programming for Dummies
  • The Rails 3 Way
  • Making Things Move: DIY Mechanisms for Inventors, Hobbyists, and Artists
  • Do They Think You're Stupid?: 100 Ways Of Spotting Spin And Nonsense From The Media, Celebrities And Politicians
  • Learning the bash Shell

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Arduino für Einsteiger (German Edition) Arduino: La Guida Ufficiale Arduino - La guida ufficiale Make: Getting Started with Arduino: The Open Source Electronics Prototyping Platform Arduino Fur Einsteiger