Start by marking “The Exceptional Presenter: A Proven Formula to Open Up and Own the Room” as Want to Read:
The Exceptional Presenter: A Proven Formula to Open Up and Own the Room

The Exceptional Presenter: A Proven Formula to Open Up and Own the Room

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  349 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
It's often reported that the number one fear among American adults is public speaking, but in a competitive business world, effective communication is an essential skill. This book offers techniques that help readers learn how to infuse any type of presentation with energy, confidence, and verve.
Published May 1st 2007 by Greenleaf Book Group (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Exceptional Presenter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Exceptional Presenter

Brian's Book Blog
Sep 06, 2015 Brian's Book Blog rated it really liked it
Read my full review here: http://books.beergodblog.com/non-fict...

A quick and exceptional read on how to become a better presenter

This book was assigned to me by a professor for my Sales Leadership class, he believes that even if you are a great presenter, you should try to become an exceptional one. This book shadows that belief. I would consider myself to be an above average to good presenter, I like talking to people, and have a voice that people describe as "booming" but I still get nervous
French Giant
Aug 31, 2011 French Giant rated it liked it
I freaking despise public speaking. Like the time I had to give the Best Man's speech at my brother's wedding. I knew about 6 months beforehand that I would be giving that darn speech and it was like a black cloud hovering above me the entire time, until D-Day, when he got hitched, I got semi-drunk, and delivered what surely was one of the greatest Wedding PowerPoint Presentations of all time. Or the time I dressed up as Forrest Gump for Halloween in Fifth Grade, stumbling through my lines about ...more
Donovan
Feb 26, 2012 Donovan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: businessbooks
In 2011, as part of my development at work, my supervisor and I identified this book (as well as a communication coach and a workshop on facilitation skills) as part of the development plan to turn me into a dynamic speaker. Not sure if the development plan worked, but the book was outstanding! It is a combination of practical tips, planning advice and great examples and stories. I found it thorough, easy to read and follow, and motivating. There are also interactive questions that help keep you ...more
Othón León
Nov 14, 2012 Othón León rated it liked it
From the very basics of how to stand in front of your audience, your posture and how to look at them, to what Timothy Koegel calls the "5 components of any presentation" (Purpose, Objective, Position, Result and Action Plan), a book full of very useful insights into the business of successful presentations, a business we all are one way or the other...

"Prepare" is mr. Koegel's bottom line here, that is if you are concious of the importance of your everyday "engagements", actually, he is convince
Subbu Chandrasekaran
Feb 17, 2016 Subbu Chandrasekaran rated it it was amazing
If you are in the market to face your fear of appearing in front of people, (doesn't need to be a presentation or public speaking), this book is it..

this book is a practical primer to take you from where you are to being comfortable with public appearances .. whether it is to talk 1:1, sales negotiation, addressing a crowd, acting/performing or a presentation..

Very well written book
Salem
Feb 10, 2016 Salem added it
This book was lent to me by a colleague, Leonard Adler, who frequently does presentations and found the book helpful. I found plenty of practical, tangible advice throughout it's pages. It would be helpful to have an online resource library for some of the practicing forms though. Altogether I found this book to be thorough, clearly written and a good reference for presentation basics.
Didier
Aug 10, 2015 Didier rated it really liked it
L'art d'une présentation exceptionnelle ! Avec un titre pareil on s'attend à étudier tous les aspect d'une présentation. C'est exactement ce que ce livre fait. Il sert aussi de guide à tout ceux qui souhaite maîtriser l'art de parler en public . C'est un ouvrage complet, à mettre entre toutes les mains !
Nick W.
Jun 18, 2015 Nick W. rated it it was amazing
Practical handbook to immediately improve presentations. A quick read. Very informative and provides insights for beginners to experts. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. Took part in an online class where he presented as well. Really made the words jump from the page.
Tim
Nov 12, 2012 Tim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An unwelcome gift (one of those, loved your talk here this might help you kind of passive aggression). It is a long pamphlet with illustrations for body language, focused highly on sales (though much is easily translated to the academic realm). The bulk is an acronym (OPEN - Open, Passionate, Engaged, Natural though the author seems to lose interest in that somewhere in the middle of engaged, natural is about three pages long), many stories from the war (whether of salvation or damnation, sales ...more
Melumebelle
May 21, 2015 Melumebelle rated it really liked it
This is a great book with lots of tips on how to make your presentations and yourself stand out.
Jowayria Rahal
Mar 16, 2014 Jowayria Rahal rated it really liked it
Very helpful tips.
If you wish to work on your public speaking skills, this one is for you.
R.W. Clark
Can't remember anything exceptional about this.
Erin Dodge
Sep 06, 2013 Erin Dodge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skills
I dreaded reading this book for my Childbirth Education certification, since I am already an experienced presenter (public speaking since age 3), do not fear audiences, and have no trouble speaking up.
I was pleasantly surprised and humbled by this book. Yes, it confirmed that I'm already doing quite a bit right, but through the exercises I was able to identify more qualities of a good presenter and presentation, plan more efficiently, and take my teaching to a new level. I appreciate it very mu
A.J.
Dec 30, 2008 A.J. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Communicators of All Sorts
I really enjoyed this book. The principles Koegel gave for becoming an exceptional presenter were ones to live by. The map for each presentation you do has proven to be very useful in my life already. The material was not groundbreaking but it was definitely what I need to hear in regards to presentation. The book is easy to read and is organized very well. This is a manual I will integrate into the way in which I communicate.
Danninomics
Apr 22, 2012 Danninomics rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read, professional
I am a naturally outgoing person, but I learned early in my career that charm is no substitute for being organized and poised in meetings and presentations. This book will teach you a lot about how to truly own a room and present like a pro. You still won't be Steve Jobs (too soon!) because that guy was like the Michael Jordan of presenters, but you'll be better than you were before.
Res
May 12, 2008 Res rated it did not like it
Shelves: org_biz
This is a bully of a book. The kind of book that shouts at you. The kind of book that has a whole chapter on the horrible things that will happen to you if you think 'exceptional' presenting is too much work and decide to settle for competent. Also the kind of book that thinks it's cool to preface all the case studies with "Dateline: Chicago." A Principal Richard Vernon sort of book.
Matt Salazar
Feb 10, 2013 Matt Salazar rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent source and guide to public speaking....I've always considered myself to be a good public speaker...this book makes me better. It's a craft that must be continuously studied and refined through discipline and revised technique...Koegel gives you all the ammunition you need to kick ass in front of a crowd.
Martin St-laurent
I liked that book. It contains many good tricks for people who need to speak or present to an audience, but I would also recommend it to anyone who does not like speaking to a crowd as well. I will of course practice many things I learned in that book. It a book that is engaging and easy to read. A very good book all in all!
Vince Hinojosa
Feb 03, 2011 Vince Hinojosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: communications
Koegel's turned body language and presentation into a science. Anybody that seeks bettering their presentation skills will not be disappointed by reading this book. In laymen terms: Killer presenting isn't something you're born with: it is something that is learned, and it is something that can be mastered!
Derick Warner
Dec 25, 2012 Derick Warner rated it liked it
I was required to read this book for a public speaking course. Although the book is very basic it was an excellent guide of what to do and what absolutely should never be done while public speaking. Alas, although the book is very basic, many public speakers I know could use a refresh on the basics.
Liz
Oct 21, 2015 Liz rated it it was amazing
Read for Management Communication. Fall 1 2015. Direct, useful, and self-aware in how much a book can help. Very well put together! Recommended.
Dana Serini
Oct 24, 2014 Dana Serini rated it it was amazing
I know I learned from this book because I landed a client using strategies in my presentation from this book
Taryn
Jan 22, 2014 Taryn rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-finished
Read spots here and there for a presentation course I took. Good advice, but mostly common sense that can come with a bit of practice and being self-aware rather than reading.
Michael Ganey
Mar 07, 2008 Michael Ganey rated it liked it
This book is a very easy read/good for a plane ride. It covers some basic skills that sometimes go unnoticed. Good for review and improvement.
Jane
Oct 13, 2008 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: school
Decent tips on how to present better. He uses the acronym OPEN UP, goes through things in logical order and gives real life examples.
Jeff
Mar 01, 2009 Jeff rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-book-list
This was okay. Andy Stanley and Lane Jones' book "Communicating for a change" is much better. Try "Made to Stick" as well.
Mary Louise
Jul 23, 2008 Mary Louise rated it it was amazing
We found this one in an airport bookstore recently. If giving lectures or presentations is part of your job, read this one.
Allison
Nov 22, 2011 Allison rated it liked it
Eh...super quick read and worth it if you have to present regularly. Also, Trex posture...story of my awkward life!
Kim Stoffel
Very well written and formulated. I have been putting these skills to use already.
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • Life Is a Series of Presentations: Eight Ways to Inspire, Inform, and Influence Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime
  • How to Write a KILLER LinkedIn Profile...and 18 Mistakes to Avoid
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • The Big Book of Team Building Games: Trust-Building Activities, Team Spirit Exercises, and Other Fun Things to Do
  • Telling Ain't Training
  • A Designer's Research Manual: Succeed in Design by Knowing Your Clients and What They Really Need
  • Words that Sell
  • The Leader's Guide to Storytelling: Mastering the Art and Discipline of Business Narrative
  • The Empowered Manager: Positive Political Skills at Work
  • Confessions of a Public Speaker
  • Business Model You: A One-Page Method for Reinventing Your Career
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • Time Tactics of Very Successful People
  • The One-Page Project Manager: Communicate and Manage Any Project with a Single Sheet of Paper
  • The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success: Kick-start Your Business, Brand, and Job Search
  • Robin Williams Design Workshop
  • Harvard Business Review on Knowledge Management
From the White House to boardrooms worldwide, Tim Koegel has strengthened the presentations, media relations and communication skills of CEOs, world leaders, business executives, managers and sales professionals.

Tim Koegel conducts CEO Boot camps nationally. He helps prepare executives for IPO Road shows and funding presentations.

A consultant to the political world, Tim has worked with members of
More about Timothy J. Koegel...