Start by marking “McSweeney's #16” as Want to Read:
McSweeney's #16

McSweeney's #16 (McSweeney's Quarterly Concern #16)

McSweeney's began in 1998 as a literary journal, edited by Dave Eggers, which published only works rejected from other magazines. But after the first issue, the journal began to publish pieces written with McSweeney's in mind. Soon after, McSweeney's attracted works from some of the finest writers in the country, including David Foster Wallace, Ann Cummins, Rick Moody, Hei ...more
Published June 16th 2005 by McSweeney's (first published October 27th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about McSweeney's #16, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McSweeney's #16

A-ron
Sep 10, 2014 A-ron rated it really liked it
The packaging of this issue is probably the true star. It is comprised of a collection of short stories, a novella, a short story published on a shufflable deck of cards, and an inexplicable comb.

Contrary to what many are saying, I felt that the collection of stories was one of McSweeney's stronger issues. The lead story, "Mudder Tongue" was tragic story that didn't fold onto itself because of its strong use of humor. "Considering the bittersweet end of Susan Falls" took a while to get going, b
Paul
Jan 19, 2009 Paul rated it really liked it
it came with a comb
Janet
Jun 13, 2014 Janet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
McSweeney's loves to mess with the concept of "book" and they've done an exceptional job in this issue. It's sort of a box that unfolds to reveal:
- A book of short stories. Nine stories,164 pages.
- "Mr. Nobody At All", by Ann Beattie with Harry Matthews, a long short story or short novella in a separate paperback.
- An oversized set of 15 cards, comprising the interactive short story "Heart Suite" by Robert Coover. It's the ace through king cards, plus a joker and one explanatory card. Each card
Sam Quixote
Sep 19, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
McSweeney's 16 unfolds into 4 sections containing a paperback of short stories, a paperback novella, a pack of cards with a story printed on them, and a comb. Materially, this is one of the best produced and good looking books out there, McSweeney's proving their innovation extends beyond the written word into design. It's a shame the stories don't live up to the brilliant product.

Denis Johnson proves why he's the best known of all the contributors by providing an extract from his novel "Tree o
Eleanor Schmidt
Feb 22, 2016 Eleanor Schmidt rated it really liked it
I collect McSweeney's Quarterly's. Even if I haven't read them (yet) I still love them.
D'Anne
Sep 16, 2015 D'Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
In this issue design wins over content. It also came with a sturdy black tooth comb.
Yuliya
Aug 21, 2010 Yuliya rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
i think this is one of the most surprising books i have ever held in my hands. firts of all is cover: fabric, folded 2 or even 3 times. there is comb and a bunch of books in different pockets. i have finished one with a lot of stories. good collection. wasn't disappointed at all!some stories are strange as always. liked one about Susan and was laughing a lot with mudder tongue:)
Betsy
Nov 03, 2007 Betsy rated it really liked it
Heart Suit (Robert Coover) will be one of my favorite things for a long time. It changes with every reading! I'm in awe of his raunchy rewrite of the King of Hearts nursery rhyme that is both introspective and interactive. Yum.

Also of note is Roddy Doyle's "Home To Harlem," but I don't know how to describe that one.
Jessica
Mar 14, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
A pretty solid collection of stories. I appreciate their willingness to take risks. I think the first half is stronger, and I especially enjoyed Mudder Tongue and Considering the Bittersweet End of Susan Falls. It also includes a story on playing cards that can be shuffled and reread numerous times. And a comb.
Kevin
I recently wrote a short thing about Dave Eggers and then realized that I hadn't rated or reviewed the many issues of McSweeney's I've read. The early issues were especially influential and inspiring to me. This issue came with a comb!
Rachel McKinney
Jun 27, 2008 Rachel McKinney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is worth a pickup for the content alone... but the fact that it comes with a comb and a deck of cards to shuffle and read as a story is FANTASTIC.
Nate D
Jun 27, 2008 Nate D rated it it was ok
A bit lackluster in general for a McSweeney's, but Roddy Doyle's closing story was quite good. Apparently I should be finding copies of his novels?
Nicki Pfaff
Oct 03, 2007 Nicki Pfaff rated it really liked it
It comes with a comb and a pack of cards. These tie into stories contained in the book. Plus, that's just pretty awesome packaging.
labrynt
Apr 28, 2009 labrynt rated it liked it
This is now my favorite publlisher. A fine literary journal with the most beautiful bindings and a nice topping of wit.
Noel VerDine
Nov 28, 2007 Noel VerDine rated it really liked it
Shelves: mcsweeneys
This triple(!) gate-fold layout was what made me fall so, so in love with McSweeney's Quarterly Concern.
Heather
Driveway
There is No Real Name For Where We Live
Rand
Sep 13, 2012 Rand rated it it was amazing
this issue comes with a fucking comb.
and there's stories & a novel excerpt.
but: comB!!!
Patrick Font
Icelandic fiction. Many fantastic short stories were featured in this issue.
rebecca
May 12, 2009 rebecca rated it it was amazing
contains my favorite short story ever: "the medicine man" by kevin moffett
e. d'alessandro
Jan 14, 2010 e. d'alessandro rated it liked it
the packaging somehow makes this issue ten times more fun to read.
Amelia
Apr 09, 2008 Amelia marked it as to-read
MY FAVORITE NEW PURCHASE.
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Anouk
Anouk rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Lisa Barton
Lisa Barton marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Field
Field added it
Jul 28, 2016
  • McSweeney's #13
  • McSweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales (McSweeney's #10)
  • Noisy outlaws, unfriendly blobs, and some other things that aren't as scary, maybe, depending on how you feel about lost lands, stray cellphones, creatures from the sky, parents who disappear in Peru, a man named Lars Farf, and one other story [...]
  • I.
  • The Future Dictionary of America
  • Mountain Man Dance Moves: The McSweeney's Book of Lists
  • The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature: The Collected Writings of Neal Pollack
  • Dogwalker
  • Partial List of People to Bleach
  • Everything That Rises: A Book of Convergences
  • Shiny Adidas Tracksuits and the Death of Camp and Other Essays from Might Magazine
  • The McSweeney's Book of Poets Picking Poets
  • Animals of the Ocean, in Particular the Giant Squid
  • Lemon
  • Thanks and Have Fun Running the Country: Kids' Letters to President Obama
  • This Shape We're In
  • The Really Funny Thing About Apathy
  • English as She Is Spoke: Being a Comprehensive Phrasebook of the English Language, Written by Men to Whom English was Entirely Unknown
Dave Eggers is the author of ten books, including most recently Your Fathers, Where Are They? And the Prophets, Do They Live Forever?, The Circle and A Hologram for the King, which was a finalist for the 2012 National Book Award. He is the founder of McSweeney’s, an independent publishing company based in San Francisco that produces books, a quarterly journal of new writing (McSweeney’s Quarterly ...more
More about Dave Eggers...

McSweeney's Quarterly Concern (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • McSweeney's #1
  • McSweeney's #6
  • McSweeney's #7
  • McSweeney's #8
  • McSweeney's #9
  • McSweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales (McSweeney's #10)