Start by marking “The Brass Verdict (Mickey Haller, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Brass Verdict (Mickey Haller, #2)

The Brass Verdict (Harry Bosch #14)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  37,440 Ratings  ·  2,454 Reviews
Things are finally looking up for defense attorney Mickey Haller. After two years of wrong turns, Haller is back in the courtroom. When Hollywood lawyer Jerry Vincent is murdered, Haller inherits his biggest case yet: the defense of Walter Elliott, a prominent studio executive accused of murdering his wife and her lover. But as Haller prepares for the case that could launc ...more
Published June 10th 2009 by Orion (first published October 14th 2008)

Lyn
Feb 25, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Connelly has in his 2008 novel The Brass Verdict the opportunity to bring two of his most compelling characters together into one plot – and he rises to the occasion, delivering a solid and very entertaining crime mystery.

Connelly’s benchmark detective Harry Bosch is joined by his motion picture legal thriller protagonist Mickey Haller in a suspenseful thriller sure to please fans.

Everybody lies.

This is the universal truth that Haller sets out as the book begins and this recognition of d
Lewis Weinstein
This is the 4th mystery/thriller I have started in the last several days. It is the only one I will finish. The others, all by authors well known who I will not name, were a mishmash of confusing scenes, unnecessary filler (the price of having to produce a book every year?), and reader-unfriendly prose. Connelly, who crafts just as complicated a plot, does so without confusion and without extra "stuff." He is a pleasure to read.

The rest was as good as the beginning. It is interesting to see how
Bill  Kerwin

A very entertaining read. The breezy, cynical voice of Michael Connelly's lawyer Mickey Haller produces something much different--and much lighter in tone--than the Harry Bosch books, but it is something just as exciting and engrossing. There's a bonus here as well: Bosh appears as a minor, but important character.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Another winner from Michael Connelly. I always have to ration myself when I get one of his new books so I don't go through it too fast and then have to wait forever for the next one. I think I managed to make this one last a whole five days.

This one is fun because it brings Harry Bosch (our old fave) and Mickey Haller (from The Lincoln Lawyer) together in the same book. Mickey is the main character and narrator in the story, but Bosch appears at all the right moments with his cleverness and wel
Michael
Dec 01, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2008
Lawyer Mickey Haller is back and this time he gets to share the spotlight with Connolly's L.A. Detective Harry Bosch.

It's been over a year since the events of "The Lincoln Lawyer" and Haller is looking to get back into the world of lawyering. He gets to do so in a big way, when a fellow lawyer is killed and leaves his practice to Haller. At stake are 30 or so cases, including a big one where a Hollywood movie mogul is accused of killing his wife and her lover. Circumstantial evidence and a kille
Kellie
Connelly has some of the best quotes in his books.
"There is nothing you can do about the past except keep it there." A quote from Mickey Haller when discussing his prior addiction to OxyContin.

This was a fantastic read! Mickey Haller is taking a break from the law. After being injured, and becoming addicted to pain pills, he is planning on getting back into his practice gradually. When one of his colleagues, Jerry Vincent, is murdered, Haller has suddenly found himself back in the game. With 31
Salymar
Apr 07, 2013 Salymar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was strolling around a book store looking for new books to read and I came across a table full of half-priced best-sellers. And guess what? From the original price of Php649.00, The Brass Verdict was only sold for Php100.00 only! I, of course, didn't let go of the chance. That moment was one of the precious moments of my life (and yes, I'm over-reacting. haha!)

The Brass Verdict is the 19th novel by American author Michael Connelly. This is the first time I tried out a different Detective/ Crim
Quinn Barrett
Aug 19, 2014 Quinn Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Brass Verdict" was released in 2008, but I only recently got around to reading The Lincoln Lawyer Series. This is the second book in the series and while I think it's a good read, the story didn't captivate me as much as the first book's action-packed plot.

We come to find Mickey Haller acclimating back into his role as lawyer after a protracted struggle with alcohol and drug addiction, followed by a lengthy stay in rehab. As he tries to decide if he even wants to practice law anymore, a col
Lisa
Jun 17, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal-fiction
Michael Connelly has done it again The Brass Verdict is a very good read by putting Harry Bosch with Mickey Haller creates a good mix was a real page turner & very exciting from start to finish as usual never picked the ending
Kurt
Sep 02, 2012 Kurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all four Mickey Haller books, and while I think this is my least favorite, Michael Connelly is still my guilty pleasure author of choice, and even a disappointing Mickey Haller book is still one that I want to read.

On its own, there's nothing all that special about this book. There's a mystery when someone murders one of Haller's former professional acquaintances ("friends" is a little too strong a word - these are lawyers, after all), and Haller inherits the dead man's caseload, inc
Donna
Oct 27, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Although I'm a great fan of Michael Connelly, The Brass Verdict sat on my "to read" shelf for over a year before I got around to reading it. Intrigued with the deep, ongoing characterization of Harry Bosch, I wasn't sure I wanted to get into a book in which he had to share the stage with Mickey Haller, another main character. (This despite the fact that I read and loved the original Mickey Haller book, Lincoln Lawyer. Call me a purist.)

So finally, on a recent snowy evening, having rejected ever
Lori Anderson
Jan 14, 2009 Lori Anderson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love Harry Bosch, and I hated how he was portrayed in this book. He was a side character in this one, so I didn't expect to like it as well, but I kept getting bored. Kind of meh, but I love Connelly, so I'll give it a pass.

Lori Anderson

Lori Anderson:The Store
Lori Anderson:The Blog
Twitter
Linda Munro
Feb 07, 2014 Linda Munro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is a Michael Haller (Micky) book, the lawyer featured in ‘The Lincoln Lawyer.’ In this book Connelly brings Haller together with Homicide Inspector Bosch.

Haller has spent the last year getting his life together, before that, his life; both personal and professional had gone down the tubes when his addiction to pain pills brought him to the brink of destruction. One year later, still unsure as to whether or not he is ready to get back into the law, Haller inherits the legal practice of a mu
Kathy
Dec 24, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been listening to this in my car the last couple of weeks, and I think that perhaps the reader's presentation added to my dislike of Mickey Haller (he gave him the voice of a pedantic old gasbag), but there was still plenty to dislike about him without help. Mickey is a criminal defense attorny, seemingly a pretty talented one. He several times points out that the system only works when the opposing sides vigorously present their cases. I totally agree, but then Mickey does all sorts of t ...more
Jacob Proffitt
I didn't like this one as much as The Lincoln Lawyer. I think the main reason for that is the intrusion of Harry Bosch. I haven't read the Bosch books and I think Connelly rather assumes that you have. Plus, Mickey cuts Bosch a lot of slack in ways I found kind of out of character—or, at least, out of keeping with his normal relations with people on "the other side". Bosch is a real jerkwad with Mickey and I kept wanting him to just go away.

That said, the story was interesting with lots of juicy
Lyndon
Jan 01, 2016 Lyndon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-books
Not a review, just some random thoughts. I really enjoyed this book. Quick read, plenty of interesting details, enough clues to keep you guessing. The Brass Verdict was really well plotted, 4.5 stars. In fact, the first two Mickey Haller books are really good. This one is a nice followup to The Lincoln Lawyer and melds the Harry Bosch storyline and relationship into Haller's side of the law really well. I'd actually read LL #3 first (The Reversal) and wasn't that impressed, but a friend said she ...more
Naddy
May 30, 2016 Naddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: courtroom
Everybody lies :)

I have read Lincoln Lawyer and quite liked the character Michael Haller, and The brass verdict is terrific follow up of Lincoln lawyer. The brass verdict contains more mysteries than Lincoln Lawyer.

Haller has just returned to law practice after a lacuna in which he has dealt with his demons and his addictions, the result of a long, gut wrenching hospitalization and numerous intricate surgeries after he was shot.

Haller has inherited the entire caseload of former prosecutor Jerry
Jane Stewart
Engaging legal mystery suspense. Intricate plots well developed.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
This book is the sequel to “The Lincoln Lawyer” (TLL) but it can be read as a stand-alone. I liked TLL better, but this was still good. I love the mind and street smarts of Haller. I enjoy the way he thinks and talks. It’s clever and entertaining. At times it was a little slow, I don’t remember why, probably some of the courtroom time. It wasn’t the author’s best, but I’m glad I read it. I plan to read most of the
Robert
Nov 09, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: law-n-order
Let me first make this clear: THIS IS NOT A HARRY BOSCH NOVEL. Now that I got that off my chest let me tell you about this book, but first about that first sentence. Another website that I belong to said that this was installment #14 in the Harry Bosch series. Now I know that it is my own damn fault but I did not look further and see that this is the #2 installment in the Mickey Haller series. This is not a problem if you have read #1 in the Haller series (The Lincoln Lawyer) but I have not read ...more
Harry
Time saver tip: if you've read my review of any Harry Bosch book, you've read 'em all. Since I don't reveal plots and reserve my comments to the overall book/author, characterization, style, etc...I just don't feel the need to repeat myself as in most cases series books if any good at all do remain consistent. The star ratings might change, but not my opinion of the series as a whole.

Michael Connelly is a well know and very popular author in the mystery/detective and police procedural genres. E
Gerald
Oct 22, 2009 Gerald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brass Verdict is a nearly perfect book. It's a first-person court procedural, told by defense attorney Mickey Haller, main character of Lincoln Lawyer. Harry Bosch is in there, too, in the third person. Fascinating switch.

The plotting is razor-sharp, all the setups there for the twist-twist-and-twist-again in the final pages.

But I think back to Hammett. As many times as I've read The Thin Man and seen the movie, I still don't completely understand the plot or the motivations of some of the chara
Eric_W
Sep 15, 2015 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal-drama
If you want a detailed plot summary with lots of spoilers see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bra.... I enjoyed the story very much, lots of neat trial work. The plot was perhaps a bit contrived but no matter. I like Mickey Haller’s character. Harry Bosch also plays a role in the novel and it turns out he has more in common with Haller than one would have expected, both literally and figuratively.

I had no idea what a “brass verdict” but when googled in the urban dictionary it does make sense.
Ellen
Apr 26, 2015 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: connelly
The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly.

Hollywood lawyer and a colleague of Mickey Haller's is murdered. Mickey has been away from the courtroom for two years but now finds that he has inherited Jerry Vincent's biggest case load.

Walter Elliot is a Hollywood director and big wig in his own mind. Walter is accused of murdering his wife and her lover. Now it's up to Mickey to take over where Jerry left off.

I have been a big Harry Bosch fan for quite some time and my review may have been influenced by
Una Tiers
Jul 10, 2016 Una Tiers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining for at least the first third, then it moved to repetition. There were scenes that were useless, and should have been cut. The protagonist is the smartest man in the world, but misses...I don't write spoilers.
The appeal was because I am a law junkie, despite the flaws, slang an unbelievable portions.
Barb
Nov 02, 2008 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Connelly's books are the best and it's so exciting when a new one comes out. In this book he brings back Mickey Haller from another of his tomes (The Lincoln Lawyer) and the other protagonist is the infamous Harry Bosch - my favorite. I couldn't put this book down and the circuitous paths the story took made it more exciting. I adore Connelly so much, I would read his grocery list and probably find it a great and interesting work. If you haven't read Michael Connelly's books, get started ...more
Kris
Jan 13, 2016 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Already seeing the movie Lincoln lawyer I decided just to jump to the brass verdict. I don't think it hindered me at all but I will admit this book was a drag till about the half way point. After that it picks up and it does so pretty fast and in ways I did not see coming. Great read 3.5 stars but I bumped it to a 4 because algebra.
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Friday night I gathered books in the Harry Bosch Series fully intending to read The Burning Room. But I read The Brass Verdict instead. While it is #14 in Harry Bosch, the story line is Mickey Haller. Harry is in it, but not much, so is Jack McEvoy - The Poet.

I have to agree with my GR friend, LJ
that Harry is Haller's antagonist in this one. Well it should be so. Harry believes he's on the side of Angels and Haller defends the devil. Both are loners. Both have daughters. Both have the same fathe
Cathy DuPont
Jun 02, 2012 Cathy DuPont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Connelly just keeps getting better for me. And I really like his secondary character, Mickey Haller, a defense attorney better than his first character, Harry Bosch, a LAPD detective. In this book, they meet for the first time and discover a family secret. Well, not a well kept secret if you've read either of the previous books in the series. Mickey seems to have more character and more emotions than Harry.

Mickey has taken off a year and wants to gradually get back into the 'game' when,
Keith
Aug 25, 2012 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Defense attorney Mickey Haller is attempting to reestablish his previously successful law practice. This after what he refers to as a two year sabbatical, a period when he couldn’t practice law because he was in a drug rehab program. Convinced that he can make a successful re-entry into the system by taking it slowly, he suddenly finds that after the death of another attorney, he is thrust into the center of a high profile murder trail where the pressure is not only intensified but possibly dang ...more
Caitlin
May 14, 2009 Caitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Michael Connelly writes a great mystery. I don't know how he manages to do it, but he delivers every single time. His primary series character, Detective Bosch, hooks up with his newest character, Mickey Haller from The Lincoln Lawyer in his latest book.

Like all of Connelly's books the writing is uncomplicated & well-paced with an emphasis on both plot AND character. I suspect it's this that makes his books so enjoyable. This one is less a police procedural & more a courtroom drama &
Goodreads Librari...: Please add/update details 3 11 Mar 09, 2016 12:23PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #106 - The Brass Verdict (Bosch #14 / Haller #2) 1 1 Sep 30, 2015 03:58PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly 1 17 Jun 28, 2015 03:51PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #19 - The Brass Verdict 2 4 May 21, 2015 05:03AM
this guy knows the courts! 31 129 Jun 09, 2014 04:42PM
  • Free Fall (Elvis Cole, #4)
  • Heat Lightning (Virgil Flowers, #2)
  • Envy the Night
  • The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)
  • Betrayal (Dismas Hardy, #12)
  • Pegasus Descending (Dave Robicheaux, #15)
  • Hour Game (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #2)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly...

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #5)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #8)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch World, #12)

“There is nothing you can do about the past except keep it there.” 178 likes
“Los Angeles was the kind of place where everybody was from somewhere else and nobody really droppped anchor. It was a transient place. People drawn by the dream, people running from the nightmare. Twelve million people and all of them ready to make a break for it if necessary. Figuratively, literally, metaphorically -- any way you want to look at it -- everbody in L.A. keeps a bag packed. Just in case.” 51 likes