Start by marking “Brain” as Want to Read:
Brain

Brain

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  5,921 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
Both of them suspected that something was wrong--terribly wrong--in the great medical research center where they worked. Both of them wondered why a beautiful young woman had died on the operating table and her brain secretly removed. Both of them found it impossible to explain the rash of female patients exhibiting bizarre mental breakdowns and shocking behavior. Both of ...more
Published January 4th 1982 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brain

Melina
Oct 07, 2010 Melina rated it really liked it
The story starts with a girl Kathereine Collins going to a GYN clinic where she undergoes treatment for some Gynac ailments. She has starts having seizures where she smells a repulsive but familiar odor and then loses consciousness. As the book goes on it tells about other young women around the same age with the exact same symptoms. The story's main character is Dr. Martin Phillips, a doctor in neurophysiology at a New York City hospital. He is working on a self-diagnostic x-ray machine along ...more
Saara
Feb 03, 2015 Saara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends of (medical) thrillers
Let me begin by stating that I did enjoy this book significantly. I for some reason had a preconceived notion that the story would be much trashier than it turned out to be, which might have influenced my opinion in a positive way; I was pleasantly surprised, ergo inclined toward a kinder review. My grievances are, in the end, minor ones, even though they did affect my reading experiences negatively.

Brain takes place over three days in the life of Dr. Martin Philips, a radiologist who has fared
Ryan Lieske
Feb 01, 2015 Ryan Lieske rated it liked it
Ridiculous and fun. I wish all of Cook's novels were this whacked out and macabre. It's no "Coma", but it has the same outlandish thrills as "Mindbend" and "Shock", which is fine by me. I don't expect great literature from Dr. Cook; hell, I don't even expect great storytelling. But "Brain" has just the right amount of B-movie silliness to keep the pages turning. And, since the book was released in the early 80s, a lot of it is hilariously outdated (which, obviously, adds to the fun).
Jeremy
Jul 30, 2013 Jeremy rated it liked it
Brain was entertaining, intelligent and completely ridiculous in equal measures. I admit I enjoyed it, despite never buying the premise for a single moment. Cook has a talent and it's for telling a good yarn that keeps the pace going. It's not so much that he's believable or a good writer (although I've read worse working in the thriller genre). Also, I think I understand TeeVee shows like House a little better having read this.
Gerard
Sep 29, 2015 Gerard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A shocking medical thriller!
Ежко Таралежко
Nov 22, 2015 Ежко Таралежко rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
Неочаквано за мен много слаб роман на Робин Кук. Може би не е имал вдъхновение. Може би е бил на слаби наркотици. Може би се е олял в стремежите си да създаде елегия против аморалните способи във фармацевтиката и медицината, и вечното си оплюване на системата за здравеопазване в САЩ (а какво ли би казал за нашата?). Не знам. Романът е скучен, муден, липсва му заряд и всичко което се случва, се случва в около двадесет страници към края на книгата - останалото са нравоучителни философии и ...more
Vandan Revanur
Aug 03, 2016 Vandan Revanur rated it liked it
A novel that is well paced , talks about the incredible powers the brain harnesses. A peek into the futuristic synergy of the biological brain and the computers. An impending biologically cybernetic future. Does definitely involve a lot of Medical terms and literature. Definitely requires a medical dictionary or Google at disposal. The end is quite predictable. A satisfactory read.
Debbie Bradford
Sep 07, 2015 Debbie Bradford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may have been outrageous as some people have suggested but the prologue in the end bothered me. It certainly makes one think and wonder about human experimentation and exploitation. Truly was a good read with the afterthoughts compelling.
Sherri Losee
May 27, 2014 Sherri Losee rated it did not like it
Stilted narrative, sterotypical characters . . . Stick with medicine, Dr. Cook.
Sreedhar Pothukuchi
Nov 17, 2016 Sreedhar Pothukuchi rated it it was ok
A regular medical mumbo-jumbo drama. One of his earlier works, it looks patchy and confusing even by Robin Cook's standards. It does have some pacy parts, but in this thankfully smaller work of just over 200 pages, they are far too few.
Guess this is still an OK read compared to trash that is dished out 35 years later.
Agustín
Nov 20, 2016 Agustín rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS, it was so different from everything I ever read.. I can feel the fear of the patients and I love it. Everyone should read this

Robin Cook, you won a place on my heart

or... in my brain
Cathy
Oct 03, 2016 Cathy rated it liked it
Typical Robin Cook. Entertaining but surface.
Elusive
Dec 18, 2015 Elusive rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
In ‘Brain’, an ambitious doctor Martin Phillips gradually realizes that something sinister is happening at the hospital while he’s working on a project with a friend. Several girls visit the gynaecology clinic and begin experiencing the same symptoms shortly after, leading to unexplained disappearances.

I don’t usually actively search for books featuring heavy medical content but the storyline for ‘Brain’ was way too irresistible for me to pass up the opportunity to read it. Suffice to say, I wa
Florent Revelut
Book is surprisingly old (early 80s I guess) and describes accurately what is happening now in the context of AI. All the technological speech is obviously broken, but the book is still fun to read for the historical context.
The story itself is not really good though, so I advise to read it more for the fun view from the 80s rather than for the intrinsic value.

(as a side note, the book I read was translated to French, not original)
D.K. Cherian
Sep 30, 2013 D.K. Cherian rated it it was amazing
Too often we have come across news articles where humans have been exploited knowingly or unknowingly, in the name of scientific research. Robin Cook tackles this very issue in his novel, Brain.
A series of mysteriously deaths have occurred amongst young females and the only common factor seems to be that they have all had atypical pap smear results. Through chance, a radiologist stumbles upon one of the victims through her X-Ray, with the problem in the brain being highlighted by a new computer
João Lobato
Apr 10, 2016 João Lobato rated it really liked it
Lloyd
Nov 06, 2010 Lloyd rated it liked it
Shelves: robin-cook, 1970s
Robin Cook returns to the medical thriller format in his fourth outing, "Brain".

When Dr. Martin Phillips notices some strange goings-on around the New York hospital he works in, he begins to look into it. When researching a young lady who died unexpectedly during surgery, he discovers that her brain has been removed. And that's only scratching the surface...

While I enoyed this book for periods of thrilling action sequences, strange discoveries, and the conspiracy element that emerges in the plot
octacore
Mar 29, 2016 octacore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cartea merita citita din mai multe puncte de vedere. Inafara scenariului senzational (anticipat), cartea are meritul de a descrie anumite proceduri medicale cu lux de amanunte, vazute din perspectiva pacientului si a senzatiilor acestuia, fapt care este cutremurator. Exceptand partea de inceput a cartii in care cititorului i se prezinta o multime de personaje, dintre care unele apar doar meteoric, in scurt timp, actiunea prinde fluiditate si cartea devine o lectura antrenanta. Lucrurile marunte ...more
Avid Reader
Mar 20, 2014 Avid Reader rated it it was amazing
In this computer era and moral ethics sliding downhill, I have no problem envisioning something like this taking place in today's world. (with the people involved in it too but I won't put it since it would be a spoiler alert)

It was written in a manner that I wish I had a BP machine at home and it could monitor as I read. I found myself so engrossed in it and at times of danger holding my breath and reading faster hoping he'd be able to get away quicker! LMAO (just so you know, that's highly ir
Oscar Torrado
Jun 22, 2013 Oscar Torrado rated it it was ok
Shelves: decepcionantes
Aunque tiene todos los elementos de su más célebre novela, Coma, Cerebro no logró llenar mis expectativas, siendo éste el segundo libro que leo de Robin Cook.

La historia se desarrolla de una forma bastante lenta, y aunque sigue la misma línea que desarrolló Cook en sus thrillers médicos como por ejemplo la ética moral médica y hasta dónde es capaz de llegar el ser humano por el bien de la ciencia y la investigación, sus personajes principales Phillips y Denise no lograron transmitir ningún senti
M Strawberry
Sigh. Why do I keep reading Robin Cook? Oh that's right, his books keep turning up in my neighborhood's Little Free Library, and I keep hoping that he writes something that doesn't involve a conspiracy.

Unfortunately, this book was exactly just that. It's obvious that Mr. Cook knows his medical stuff, and it shows in here, him being a doctor and all, but the story itself fell flat at the end with the big reveal that YES ITS ALL A CONSPIRACY BECAUSE THE PEOPLE BEHIND IT ARE GREEDY.

Now, it's not th
Nara Santos
Eu me lembro de ter lidos dois livros desse autor (Coma e Erro Médico) há uns 20 anos atrás... Mas não se tornaram meus livros preferidos pq, apesar de ter gostado do enredo, algo me incomodou. Depois de tantos anos, com a leitura de Cérebro, percebi o que me incomodava... Cook é um prepotente, que se acha um profundo conhecedor da Medicina, mas que tenho certeza que não tem vocação nenhuma para tal, e, o pior de tudo, um racista de marca maior disfarçado de tolerante! Seus personagens ...more
Umut
Nov 03, 2015 Umut rated it really liked it

Robin Cook külliyatına olan merakım üzerine okuduğum kitap Beyin. Yemin olsun bu adam aynı anlatım tekniği ile akademik kitaplar yazsa her eve bir doktor hayalimiz gerçek olur. Bir beyin ameliyatı bu kadar mı insanı sıkmadan detaylı ve sanki ameliyat edilen kendi beyninizmiş gibi hissettirecek kadar gerçekçi anlatılır. Perfect. Ancak tüm bu hararaetli anlatıma karşın üstadın bir iki kitabında görülen "Amaaaan, yeter bu kadar yazdım. Hadi artık bitireyim" t
Manjunath
Aug 26, 2014 Manjunath rated it liked it
A gripping medical thriller!

Positives:
The overall plot of the novel was interesting and fast-paced. Having worked in a research hospital milieu and aware of the bioethical concerns of using animal and human subjects for medical research, I found this story and it's outcome somewhat plausible.

Negatives:
The ending felt a bit rushed and left me wanting for more. I had a different end in mind. Also, delving into the life and background of some of the characters was unnecessary and could have done w
Bhargavi
Dec 04, 2015 Bhargavi rated it really liked it
A short read but one of those books that makes you turn pages until you finish it. The part about electrodes stuck in Lisa marino's brain was fascinatingly gross. The book was well-written and well told. I loved the intital pages more than the later ones. The conception of story was amazing, but Philip's role as a protagonist left a lot to be desired, I loved the parts about deoxy-glucose causing fits and the human experimentation parts. Despite saying all this, I probably will not read it ...more
Alessandro Balestra
New York. Martin Philips, aiuto primario di neuroradiologia, è un brillante medico in carriera che suo malgrado si ritrova coinvolto in un torbido affare. Alcune giovani pazienti infatti muoiono misteriosamente, i loro corpi spariscono senza lasciare traccia. Martin insospettito indaga, e scopre che dietro alle sparizioni c'è un'organizzazione federale che finanzia una ricerca scientifica su cavie umane... "Cervello", scritto da Robin Cook che oltre ad essere uno scrittore è anche laureato in ...more
Heidi
Oct 09, 2013 Heidi rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
This book barely scratches the surface of the true horror of pseudo-scientific "research" used as a front and a justification for sadistic and unspeakable torture and abuse by egomaniacal sociopaths intent on making money by inflicting the maximum amount of suffering. Which is a good thing, because otherwise it would exit the realm of entertainment and be simply unreadable.

I always like reading books from the 70's just because of the amusingly archaic technology in them, and this novel is partic
Roberta
May 13, 2014 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tutto-cook
I read Cook's book in Italian when I was 20-something and I'm re-reading them in English 10 years leater. Compared to Grey's anatomy and other medical pop culture ideas, the technical aspect of this book seems updated. The ethical implications, however, is not, and that's what I like.
Keep also in mind that I faint in front of needles and have amild sense of nausea every time I enter a clinic/hospital: for me these novels are quite interesting horror stories.
Shashank Sinha
Jan 16, 2016 Shashank Sinha rated it really liked it
When I first started reading Brain then I don't liked it. But after completing about 50 pages, I started enjoying it. Writing style is very simple. Storyline is very good. But at the end I was really excited. I really enjoyed this book. There is a huge twist in the story at the end. Actually I didn't expected this type of ending. I think Robin Cook is one of the finest writer. I'm really looking forward to read more novels by Robin Cook.
Brainfire - An Amazing Brain Boosting supplement 1 1 Jul 06, 2015 10:31PM
  • Critical Judgment
  • Brain Child
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar #1)
  • Cold Plague
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b
More about Robin Cook...

“Medical school had been a time for imaginary diseases and Martin had contracted almost all of them.” 32 likes
“Nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion,’ ” 2 likes