Start by marking “The Complete Book of Discipleship: On Being and Making Followers of Christ” as Want to Read:
The Complete Book of Discipleship: On Being and Making Followers of Christ

The Complete Book of Discipleship: On Being and Making Followers of Christ

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  155 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Well organized and readily accessible,The Complete Book of Discipleship pulls together into one convenient, comprehensive volume relevant topics to discipleship such as:

• spiritual growth
• transformation
• spiritual disciplines
• discipleship in the local church and beyond

• Indexed for easy reference
Published October 23rd 2006 by NavPress

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Book of Discipleship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of Discipleship

God by Robert WoegerLife Application Study Bible by AnonymousThe Message Remix by Eugene H. PetersonDesiring God by John PiperRadical by David Platt
Discipleship
6th out of 40 books — 22 voters
Radical by David PlattThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisWhen Helping Hurts by Steve CorbettThe Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich BonhoefferTransforming Discipleship by Greg Ogden
Making Disciples
32nd out of 93 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Kevin
Apr 10, 2009 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Bill Hull has written a modern-day classic on what it really means to be a Christian. It's a desperate call for churches, pastors, and all who claim the name of Christ to return to a true, biblical understanding of what it means to follow Christ: personal transformation into the likeness of Christ. He reminds the reader that it's not enough to know about Jesus and his commands, Christians must live out those commands and mature in faith.
Seth
Jul 28, 2012 Seth rated it really liked it
Recommended to Seth by: Brian Baldwin
This book lays a foundation for discipleship rather than a program for discipleship. If you are looking for an easy program to follow, this is not the book. However, if you are looking for a good resource to discover how to build a discipleship program for your context, then this is worth the read.
Elizabeth
Aug 30, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
loved this book about discipleship and all it entails. very practical and well balanced in its advice yet very humble. i would recommend it for anybody thinking of discipling one or a small group or even large group. Should be read by any self respecting Sunday School class.
Debi
Jun 13, 2012 Debi rated it liked it
Shelves: discipleship
Discipleship - what is it? What does it mean? To be a disciple of Jesus is part of being a Christian but many Christians do not seem to grasp the meaning. This book is an in-depth study of what it means to be a disciple.

Being a disciple is not just being a follower of Jesus, but also a learner. We are to learn from Him and imitate Him. How this is done is through community. The stages of discipleship are examined as well as a look at the role spiritual disciplines play in being a disciple. The l
Rob Ross
Feb 19, 2015 Rob Ross rated it it was amazing
Shelves: making-disciples
I found this book on disciples and discipleship to be well balanced. The author provided much information both historical and practical. His personal insights were very relevant to what is happening in today's churches. As well he provides a list of useful books at the end of each chapter. I believe this book is a worthwhile addition to the library of anyone who is committed to growing as a disciple of Jesus.
Jeff Zapp
May 25, 2015 Jeff Zapp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good resource on discipleship

Mr. Hull does an excellent job in covering the various topics on discipleship, providing good depth, suggestions for further study, and most importantly, focused on following the way our Master taught us to Mae disciples.
William Chamberlin
Jan 30, 2016 William Chamberlin rated it liked it
Shelves: discipleship
Manual for discipleship
Skip Crust
Bill Hull writes a well informed, well written book on discipleship. The title is a bit ostentatious. "The Complete Book of Discipleship" makes a claim that just can't be lived up to in a 340 page book. That said, it's a decent book on discipleship. He links our modern-day views of discipleship to the ancients and how they handled following Christ.

I would suggest that this book is a launching pad for discipleship, but it is not exhaustive as the title suggests.
Greg
May 06, 2008 Greg rated it really liked it
I really appriciated the Table of Contents. It nicely lays out the key sections of the book. This is a good read, but also a resource that can be gleaned for chapter specific content. Very worthwhile when planning and implementing a discipleship program or looking for ways to personally improve your dicsipleship.
MissEighties
Sep 04, 2012 MissEighties rated it really liked it
The reason why I liked this book isn't for showing me how to be a disciple. I liked it for the spiritual side, the day to day examples that makes me a better human being each day. I still keep this book in my collection because I know I can dig good spiritual inspirations when I will need it.
Chris Pennington
May 22, 2013 Chris Pennington rated it it was ok
Chris Welter
Jan 23, 2008 Chris Welter rated it really liked it
Shelves:
So far so good... if you want to make disciples this will guide you. If you don't want to make disciples you might start by reading the bible. If you agree with that and still don't want to make disciples you should meet a friend of mine named Jesus.
Dave Pettengill
May 28, 2012 Dave Pettengill rated it it was amazing

This was one of the most practical books on discipleship I have read. Not only did it provide the historical context o where discipleship started buy how this applies to us today.
Aaron Thomas
I really loved this book. Overall, one of my favorite books I've read and will be a continual reference for me.
Leroy Seat
Jun 02, 2010 Leroy Seat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-devotional
This was a fine book, and it was so practical that I want to recommend it to my pastor.
Scott K
Some excellent insights on what discipleship entails but it loses impact towards the end.
Staci
Jun 26, 2012 Staci rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book!
Jaspe
Jaspe marked it as to-read
Julie Boykin
Julie Boykin marked it as to-read
Todd Stout
Todd Stout marked it as to-read
Tim Wilson
Tim Wilson marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Brandon Atwood
Brandon Atwood is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2016
Geoffrey Balke
Geoffrey Balke marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Haley Conrad
Haley Conrad is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2016
Ryan Robertson
Ryan Robertson rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Philip
Philip is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2016
Brett Sanner
Brett Sanner rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Laura Agee
Laura Agee marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Elizna
Elizna marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
  • Transforming Discipleship: Making Disciples a Few at a Time
  • Growing True Disciples: New Strategies for Producing Genuine Followers of Christ
  • The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus's Essential Teachings on Discipleship
  • The Master Plan of Evangelism
  • Untamed: Reactivating a Missional Form of Discipleship
  • DiscipleShift: Five Steps That Help Your Church to Make Disciples Who Make Disciples
  • Spiritual Mentoring: A Guide for Seeking & Giving Direction
  • Monk Habits for Everyday People: Benedictine Spirituality for Protestants
  • Dedication and Leadership
  • Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples
  • The Connecting Church

“When discipleship takes a place alongside leadership, evangelism, preaching, worship, counseling, support groups, and other programs, it ceases to be what it was meant to be: the heart of what it means to be a Christian.” 1 likes
“Does the gospel we preach produce disciples or does it produce consumers of religious goods and services?” 1 likes