Start by marking “Sin City: That Yellow Bastard (Sin City, Book 4)” as Want to Read:
Sin City: That Yellow Bastard (Sin City, Book 4)

Sin City: That Yellow Bastard (Sin City #4)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  22,604 Ratings  ·  218 Reviews
Just one hour to go. Hartigan's polishing his badge and working himself up to kissing it good-bye, it and the thirty-odd years of protecting, and serving, and tears, and blood, and triumph that it represents. He's thinking about his wife's slow smile, about the thick, fat steaks she's picked up at the butcher's, about the bottle of champagne she's got packed in ice, about ...more
Published April 15th 1997 by Dark Horse Comics (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Sin City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sin City

Melki
Number four - I still really hate the artwork, but the story is first rate. There's nothing like a good vengeance tale, and Miller's story of a wronged cop finally righting the score is particularly sweet.

My most bone-chilling moment? This little speech delivered by one of the villains:

Power doesn't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes outta lying and lying big and getting the whole damned world to play along with you. Once you got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

John Hartigan has served the police force well and his retirement is deserved, but when he gets word that little Nancy Callahan has been kidnapped he can’t just hand over his badge and gun without attempting to save her. Little does he know that his final moment of heroism will haunt him for years to come . . .

For all of you who know me in real life, follow my blog, or are friends with me here, you are probably well aware that I’m qu
Algernon
Aug 21, 2015 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2015
[9/10]

The best Sin City episode for me since "The Hard Goodbye". I'm not making a case that the previous two albums were inferior. I was just waiting for a strong lead character to rival the unique voice of Marv, and for some of that sharp internal monologues that cut to the the bone, letting out all the pent up rage and despair of a man pushed beyond his limits of endurance.

hartigan

The present album also benefits from some of the best opening lines in my noir library:

Just one hour to go.
My last day on
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Noir fans
Recommended to Carmen by: Book Store
Hartigan is a cop. Last day before retirement. He spends it hunting down a pedophile and saving the little girl, 11-year-old Nancy Callahan. Because the pedophile was the senator's son, Hartigan - who was shot 6 times AND has a bad heart - is fingered as the pedophile. He spends 8 years in solitary. Nancy loves him and writes him a letter a week. For eight whole years. Then the letters stop coming. Just an envelope with the finger of a 19-year-old girl. Hartigan knows what he has to do...

...

David Schaafsma
Aug 21, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gn-crime
This is the best so far of the Sin City volumes, which I am reading as part of the BIG DAMN Sin City complete collection, which is 1357 pages long and in a really BIG format, which is sort of appropriate for Miller's sort of approach to noir, mostly black and white (though this one adds yellow for the yellow bastard guy), with BIG cops and BIG women and BIG criminals and BIG splashy art). But the art and story seem to work better here than in the previous volumes, seem a bit more inspired. He's ...more
Stuart
Sin City, Vol. 4: That Yellow Bastard: A tired old cop takes on a vicious killer
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature
This is the fourth volume in Frank Miller’s SIN CITY series, about a grizzled old detective named John Hartigan who decides that on his final day before retirement (due to severe angina) that he will take down the evil son of the most powerful man in Sin City, Senator Roark. Roark Junior, knowing he is protected by his father, rapes and kills young girls with impunity, and Harti
Mark
Jul 12, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of great comics / graphic novels
Recommended to Mark by: Found it on the name Frank Miller
The name Frank Miller is a certificate for quality in the comics world, his noir series Sin City are an excellent example of a quality comic that is based purely on the writer/artist and owned by him as well.

That Yellow bastard is a brilliant telling in the oldish noir style with its b/w drawings it sets the mood. But the great thing is that the baddie, the title of the novel. is despicted in yellow. And it works very well.

John Hartigan the protagonist (and our hero) is only a few hours from ret
Ana
Until now, this is my favorite installment. Even though it's hard to pick, because "The Big Fat Kill" was also really good, I'm sticking with this one. The Yellow guy is really creepy and the fact that he is drawn in yellow in an all-black drawing work makes him stand out even more.

I've already started the 5th Sin City volume.
Jedhua
Story Synopsis: (view spoiler) ...more
Teresa
Mar 21, 2009 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By this point in reading the series I was damn sick of seeing Nancy twirl herself around on stage in that damn cowgirl outfit. I always figured she was a big shit character and was hoping she'd have a hell of a back story. Well, here it is. This is my second favorite so far (first being "The Hard Goodbye". The story it's self is sad if a little unbelievable- the idea of an older guy with Angina going through all he did just to save a little girl is a little ridiculous in my opinion. But, it's mo ...more
Felisberto Barros
Dec 24, 2013 Felisberto Barros rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
4º Volume de Sin City, 4ª narrativa poderosa, 4º espaço de acção e aventura - Sin City.

Neste volume, mais uma vez não se dá tréguas e paz aos cidadãos de Sin City. Mais uma dose muito bem conseguida de desespero, vingança, violência e, claro, uma boa dose de amor que serve de mote para a narrativa. Só que agora com um ingrediente especial, sendo que a ideia de amor é multifacetada; ora amor-paixão; ora amor-fraterno.

Mas, não obstante, para que este amor tenha êxito só há uma solução, a habitual
Vincent
Feb 11, 2013 Vincent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of all of Frank Miller's Sin City books this has to be the best or tied with The Hard Good Bye (vol.1). In some cop movies or works there are always an older cop like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon who are getting too old for their work, or are two days from retirement or something. [Spoiler alert] John Hartigan the protagonist (and our hero) is literally only a few hours from retirement, he is in his 60's (or near enough) and saves a little girl from a fate worse then death from a psychotic ...more
Henry
Mar 02, 2012 Henry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is the first of the Sin City series I ever read. I actually have the original four issue comic. This is also one of the stories shown in the Sin City movie. For those who are familiar with Frank Miller's work, nothing in here will be surprise. Sin City is dark, twisted and bad people thrive as good people have to do bad things to survive. It is ironic that in a comic drawn in black and white (and in this case, some red and yellow) that everything that happens inside is every shade of grey i ...more
abatage
Oct 15, 2010 abatage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This volume features the colouring style that really adds something else to Miller's art. Compared with the other books, this one has a pace to it that seems more determined than before. The path seems more linear and the goal stays more straight-forward. However, that doesn't remove from the enormity of Sin City and still allows for a brief cross-over with Dwight near the beginning.

Perhaps the most emotional of the series so far, the story is much more developed and the book is all the better f
Andre Odysseus
GREAT... GREAT NOVEL... GREAT...

Gosh, this book was really good... The meaning that is encarved in this book is so beautiful, sweet and heart-warming and it is between the many layers of a grotesque, bloody, violent graphic novel which is a lovely twist... It makes satisfied when you reach the end of the book... AND THE END IS MIND-FUCKING-BLOWING... I think a decent human-being will cry at the end of this novel... This graphic novel has such a meaning to me...

5 STARS
SCORe: 98%
Jesse A
Jul 09, 2015 Jesse A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely the hardest hitting and best of the Sin City books so far. Very good.
Ville-markus Nevalainen
As I have loved the previous Sin City graphic novels, it should not come as a surprise that vol. 4: That Yellow Bastard is much of the same superb quality. The art is breathtaking and the more I read these, the more I want to have a poster made out of one of the pages. The story is as noir as it can get and it embraces it fully.

What I did find surprising, was how much the movie version affected me here. Robert Rodriguez's film adaptation is one of my most watched films and subsequently Sin City
Krausj2
Nov 16, 2015 Krausj2 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frank Miller's Sin City may be an acquired taste, but it's got me hooked. It's almost a quarter century now since Miller set out to refine the hardboiled, noir formula to its essence, and, if there are others who have followed more or less as successfully in his footsteps, few have achieved the profile he has.

Hartigan may be over the top, but what's the point of going after the pure essence of a thing if you don't spin it out to its extreme. Bruce Willis humanizes the character somewhat in the e
Suncerae
Oct 05, 2015 Suncerae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On his last day on the police force, honest cop Hardigan receives a tip about an 11-year-old girl kidnapped by the rapist son of a corrupt city official, Roark Junior. Despite a severe heart problem, Hardigan makes rescuing the girl his last mission before retirement. The story begins eight years before the story lines in the previous volumes, before Nancy Callahan became the mesmerizing cowboy dancer in Kadie’s Club.

That Yellow Bastard is the best the Sin City series has to offer. Not only is i
Jacob
Sep 26, 2014 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here’s a little bit of history for you. In 1988, the final “Dirty Harry” film was released, “The Dead Pool”. After it was released, Clint Eastwood publicly stated that he will not do another Dirty Harry film, as he believed the character was getting too old and becoming a joke. However, a certain comic book writer by the name of Frank Miller was not happy with the ending to Dirty Harry’s legacy, and in typical Frank Miller fashion, decided to use his “Sin City” comic series to say how he thought ...more
Adam
Sep 09, 2014 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lloyd
A series that was ever so slightly declining (but still awesome) takes a big leap to the positive with this book.

John Hartigan is a cop wrapping up his last day on the job when a call comes in about an abducted 11-year-old girl named Nancy Callahan. With a crazed kidnapper/sex offender on the loose, he doesn't want to stop until he find her. Several things/people try to make him stop. He perseveres.

Is it possible to hate the end of a story and still think it's absolutely top notch? I guess so
Dominick
Peter William Warn
Sr. Lado Brillante
Oct 11, 2012 Sr. Lado Brillante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, comics
Aquí tenemos a Frank Miller en toda su fuerza.
Sin los problemas que tenían los primeros volúmenes de Sin City (dialogo forzado, paneles que no aportaban nada a la historia, personajes que se ven diferentes de un cuadro a otro, etc.) y sin la sutileza que antes lo podría haber caracterizado (no es un Batman Year One desde luego, aunque, como con todo Sin City, es evidente que muchas de las historias fueron pensadas en Batman o Daredevil y muestra situaciones que podrían incomodar a cualquiera, si
Tom
Jul 21, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sin City is awesome. Purely and simply awesome.
I learned about this story in '05 w/ the first movie. It was one of the more memorable viewing experiences, in that it really looked like a comic book. I saw an interview with Robert Rodriguez where he said his goal was to make a movie look like a comic, not vice versa.
But none of that is about the book. It's all an aside.
My basic point is that the movie made me read the books, and I'm so glad I did. The graphics are seemingly basic, in that t
John
Feb 13, 2015 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frank Miller continues to weave his magic.I like that each book is basically a prequel to the book before it.Mr.Miller penchant for penning kick ass characters continues.Hartigan stole the show.Real tough cop with a big heart.Also liked how Nancy Callahan origin came about.Lastly the artwork and writing of the character the yellow bastard was truly demented and disgusting.Just the way it should be.
Keith
May 12, 2015 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have been working through these recently for the first time and finding them reasonably enjoyable. I liked the movie mainly for the striking visual style, and that's largely the strength of the books too. Saying that, while many pages look fantastic (particularly the large full page images), the art can quite frequently be a bit impenetrable, the composition can be messy enough that it's tough to see what some panels are even supposed to depict.

The stories and narration are a little one note too
Toolshed
Aug 15, 2014 Toolshed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is so far the best of the series. To me, it captures the essence of the hard-boiled genre - a detective who hit rock bottom, a disillusioned, in a world that is hardly "fair" to common people in whichever way you want to put it. Also, it seems to me like the best drawn comic book of the series thus far. And not only that, but the imagery intertwines very well with the storyline and dialogues and creates a thoroughly bitter and dismal (or, in other words, brilliant) reading experience.

Oh, an
Clint
Jan 01, 2016 Clint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-2016
If you ever saw the movie, it's almost exactly the same. Super brutal, and the Yellow Bastard himself is so insanely awful.
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 2: Split Second Chance
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2 (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, #2)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 10: One More Time (Transmetropolitan, #10)
  • Preacher, Volume 9: Alamo
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days
Frank Miller is an American writer, artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories. He is one of the most widely-recognized and popular creators in comics, and is one of the most influential comics creators of his generation. His most notable works include Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One and 300.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the
More about Frank Miller...

Sin City (7 books)
  • Sin City, Vol. 1: The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1)
  • Sin City, Vol. 2: A Dame to Kill For (Sin City, #2)
  • Sin City, Vol. 3: The Big Fat Kill (Sin City, #3)
  • Sin City, Vol. 5: Family Values (Sin City, #5)
  • Sin City, Vol. 6: Booze, Broads, and Bullets (Sin City, #6)
  • Sin City, Vol. 7: Hell and Back (Sin City, #7)

“An old man dies, a little girl lives. Fair trade.” 26 likes