Start by marking “Barry Trotter And The Shameless Parody” as Want to Read:
Barry Trotter And The Shameless Parody

Barry Trotter And The Shameless Parody (Barry Trotter #1)

2.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,673 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews
WARNING: THIS ISN'T THE REAL THING...IT'S FUNNIER!

"Stop that movie," Headmaster Alpo Bumblemore said, "or Hogwash is history!"

Already overrun by brawling, fetid fans of the bestselling Barry Trotter books, Hogwash is certain to be pulled down brick by brick after Barry's new big-budget biopic debuts. So Barry Trotter, Ermine Cringer, and Lon Measly are hauled out of retire
Published (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Barry Trotter And The Shameless Parody, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barry Trotter And The Shameless Parody

Callie Rose Tyler
Jun 02, 2014 Callie Rose Tyler rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-give-up
Ugh, this was abysmal, truly terrible. I moderately enjoyed Nightlight: A Parody so I thought I'd give this a try. This is not even remotely funny, it's just stupid. Just changing the names of things does not a parody make, especially when the name changes themselves are uninspired and humorless.

You can find a parody on YouTube that will give you more laughs in 1 minute than the hours it will take you to trudge through this crap. Seriously, you want Harry Potter humor? Just visit Google.

Winston
Jun 21, 2013 Winston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply cannot compliment the author and the narrator enough. Not only is it a-laugh-a-line funny, but the high-level ventriloquism Christopher uses adds a level of shine that outstrips almost any reading experience. Just wait until you hear and imagine Barry Trotter hit the redial button on his uncle's address book. There are also references to the top actors and actresses of the day, but that doesn't really impede this book's withstanding of the test of time.

The book starts off simply, with B
Philip
Mar 22, 2009 Philip rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: potter fans who are scraping the barrel
Shelves: fantasy, children, fiction
I got to page 70, but didn't get any further because I found it rather boring. What humour there was seemed rather dry and dull: calling Fred and George "Ferd and Jorge" (or whatever it was) isn't my idea of good wit. There was little plot, which mostly seemed to centre around how run-down everything was.

I found the original Harry Potter books were funnier. And the stories had more substance. My advice: stick with them.
Roisin
Sep 07, 2007 Roisin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry potter fans, anyone who wants a laugh
I read this book and although I was confused (seems to be an extended theme in my reviews) at first if I liked it or not. However as I read on I found it to be hillarious and it's spontaneous way of creating odd situations for the characters. Also the ending really throws you, But it's a good throwing, it took me a while to catch up with the book but toher than that it was a wonderfully funny read.
Glenn
Feb 16, 2009 Glenn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did you ever read Bored of the Rings? The Harvard Lampoon’s parody of Tolkien is one of the funniest little books I ever read. Crude, adolescent, and now terribly dated, it was also witty, inventive, and most of all funny. With fond memories of that parody in mind, I was looking forward to Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody. While it has all of the crudity and adolescence of it’s illustrious predecessor, it fall short in one major category. It isn’t all that funny. While the Harry Potter ...more
Louisa
May 21, 2016 Louisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stay-away
Absolutely dreadful.
Beth F.
Feb 16, 2009 Beth F. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth F. by: don't remember...but they should be kicked in the teeth
Shelves: humor, i-give-up, hated-it
This was one of the dumbest things I ever read.

It tried too hard. It started out funny but got insanely annoying very, very fast. Skip it.
4eyedgal
Mar 28, 2016 4eyedgal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me clear a few things before I start reviewing this satire. I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter series. They were the first ever series I read and it was love at first sight, or should I rather say, love at first read. I immediately fell in love with the writing, the plot, the twists, the places and especially the amazing characters. Each and every single detail mesmerised me and left me in awe. For me, it's still the perfect novel (series) ever written.

Moving ahead, I bought this parody to know
Leah
Jan 08, 2008 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Barry Trotter books are parodies on the actual series. They are quite hilarious and worth a read if you have some extra time on your hands. They do however, become a bit wearisome at points, since they, in now way, can measure up to the fabulosity of the original series.
Schnicklfritz
Apr 22, 2010 Schnicklfritz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-finished
I'm not gonna finish this crap! And I'm not saying this because I Love Harry Potter and cannot laugh about parodies! It's just stupid and exaggerated! It's like the Author put every thought he had into one big bowl and picked randomly which one to use next!
Cyan Wisp
Sep 30, 2008 Cyan Wisp rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who think the title is funny
Horrible. Unfunny. "Humour" in this book consists of having silly names for well known people and things. A chore to read. Novelty lasts about 1, maybe 2 pages. [Zzzz]
Brian McDonald
This is definitely the stupidest book I've read in a long time. It was kind of funny in parts, but mostly just ridiculous. Fortunately, it's not very long.
Lizzi Crystal
Nov 26, 2007 Lizzi Crystal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While trying to be funny, it fell into a sort of annoying crudeness, and the best part about it was getting it over with. Best skipped, I think.
Kavita Ramesh
Sep 12, 2015 Kavita Ramesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE Harry Potter, and I have not gotten over that vile epilogue at the end of book 7 where Rowling made it pretty clear that she had put these characters to bed, and would not be writing about them any longer. (And here I had been hoping for a series about Harry's adventures as an Auror!)

So to keep myself from dying of Harry Potter withdrawal, I have read the entire James Potter fan fiction series by G. Norman Lippert (including all the short stories, and his own original novel based on the P
Christine
The most stupid and unfunny book I've ever started to read...
Jacob
Aug 19, 2012 Jacob rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely rate a book before I finish it... but then, I rarely decide flat-out to not finish a book. I can usually at least CONVINCE myself there is a chance that I'm not wasting my time, that I'll get around to it eventually.

Not in this case.

There is exactly two demographics for Barry Trotter--people who read the first Harry Potter book and didn't care for it (and who have a crude sense of humor), and people who were forced to see the movie and hated it.

Every single character is a cop-out, for
Amelia
I could write a really long review explaining the manifold ways in which Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody was a) stupid b) really stupid c) really really stupid and d) disgusting but I'm not going to waste my time when I can sum it up in a few words: endless toilet humour and sex jokes. Strangely I don't find the idea of Dumbledore pissing on a model of Harry or Hermione's top being turned invisible absolutely fucking hillarious, I wonder why? Maybe because I'm not a thirteen year old boy? ...more
EpidermaS
Feb 13, 2016 EpidermaS rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Autor wyśmiewa nie tyle książkę Rowling, co wielką machinę marketingową wiążącą się z ową pozycją. To jedyny plus. Nooo, może jeszcze stylizacja Lorda Vielokonta na Niemca. ;) Reszta to totalne dno. Nie wiem, czemu Internauci uważają tę parodię za błyskotliwą. "Błyskotliwa" to ostatnie określenie, jakie do niej pasuje. Książka najzwyczajniej w świecie jest NUDNA. Powiem szczerze, że pierwowzór bywał miejscami śmieszniejszy. Jeśli autor uważał, że wystarczy kilka tekstów o bekaniu i rzyganiu, to ...more
Kerstin Stutzke
Aug 23, 2015 Kerstin Stutzke rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Harry Potter hat eine reale Vorlage: Barry Trotter. Dieser ist noch immer Schüler der Hogwash-Schule für Zauberer, denn trotz mehrfacher Wiederholungen der Klassen packt es Barry einfach nicht und der Schulleitung ist nicht daran gelegen, ihren prominentesten Schüler rauszuschmeißen. Nun sieht es aber so aus, dass Hogwash, das immer wieder vermehrt von menschlichen Fans belagert wird, bald schließen muss, denn die Bücher um Barry Trotter sollen verfilmt werden und das wäre für Hogwash das Ende.

B
Raigo
Jan 21, 2015 Raigo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Võimalik, et selle, ilmselt ühe tuntuma Potteri-paroodia raamatu (nagu ka selle järgede, mis seni küll eesti keeles ilmunud pole - no ja tõtt-öelda pole selleks muidugi ka mingit vajadust) suurim pluss on see, et autor näitas sinisilmsetele Potteri-fännidele nende imeilusa maailma ebatäiuslikkust. Solvumislaine oli muidugi massiivne ja kui korduvalt on räägitud, et päris-Potter suutis noored uuesti lugema meelitada, siis härra Totter pani suure osa neist veel ka end kirjalikult väljendama. Mis s ...more
B. Reese
Without a doubt, one of dumbest and unfunniest things I've ever read. I dont think I laughed even one time. I wish I could rate this with negative stars, because -4 stars is what I would give this.

It's basically the actualization of what I feared the Bored of the Rings book would be like. A spiritless mess capitalizing on a name for quick money. except Bored has been around forever.

A lot of the reviews here are right, changing names to dumb names is not a parody, or funny. It tries way too hard
Erin
Jul 11, 2010 Erin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I HATED IT. There are very few books that I will not finish and this is one of them. It bills itself as a parody of Harry Potter. It had the potential to be really funny, but I didn't find it funny. The facet that Gerber changed the names (Harry to Barry) wasn't too funny. He thought that being mean-spirited about everything would translate to humor, which it doesn't. I wish I could give it zero stars.
April Helms
Mar 22, 2008 April Helms rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Recommended to April by: Nigel
Shelves: collection, spoof
A hysterical wink and poke parody of the Harry Potter series. Barry Trotter is a n'er do well, a perpetual student at Hogwash. But a movie deal threatens his idylic slacker lifestyle. The humor ranges from sophmoric to sophisticated. Fair warning: this is really for adults only.
Saoirse Sterling
[Quick review from memory until I re-read and re-review at a later date:

I mean, really. Vaguely funny but a definite rider on someone else's success. Basically fan fiction? I just feel I need to re-read to understand why I bought the next two...]
melydia
Though it had its funny bits (I still can't get over the name Lord Valumart), all in all it didn't quite amuse me as much as I'd expected it to. But it kept me entertained while I waited for my car to get fixed, so it was worth reading. :)
Michelle
Dec 25, 2007 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a spoof on Harry Potter. It is a short book, but I didn't think it was that funny. I would rather just read any Harry Potter book instead.
Emily
Apr 07, 2009 Emily rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worst.Book.Ever. I wanted it to be funny so badly because I love good parodies, but this was in no way funny. It was just really lame.
Anne Kaffeekanne
Jan 28, 2016 Anne Kaffeekanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc
I found this book in our street library, so, since I got it for free and I always need to pass time at work (yeah, don't ask), I don't regret reading it. But it's not very funny and relies too heavily on dick jokes for my taste. Also there are a few quite embarassing spelling errors in the edition that I read (in German). Anyway, my favourite part is where Barry explains in that chatroom, that he grew up "in a hippie commune in Sussex where everyone runs around in the nude and listens to Donovan ...more
kashiichan
Apr 25, 2016 kashiichan rated it did not like it
A book of this length would usually take me a day to read, maybe two if I'm busy. Finishing this book took me over a month, because I hated it. I did not want to take it with me on public transport, and I didn't want it to be the last thing I thought of before going to sleep. There were literally times where I chose to stare out a window and do nothing at all rather than further endure the excrement that is this book.

I could write a really long review explaining the manifold ways in which this b
Susan Maclean
Dec 30, 2007 Susan Maclean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Rubbish! Got to about page 30 and it stank so bad.....
  • The Soddit: Or, Let's Cash in Again
  • Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • WTF? Work: How to Survive 101 of the Office's Worst F*#!-ing Situations
  • Penn & Teller's How to Play in Traffic
  • Die Bedrohung
  • Inside the Illusion (Everworld, #9)
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Life: Life
  • New Moan: The Twishite Saga - A Parody
  • Wild West Witches
  • Lehrerkind: Lebenslänglich Pausenhof
  • Spiegeljongen (Een groene bloem #3)
  • At the Mountains of Madness (Omnibus 1)
  • The Moriarty Papers: The Schemes and Adventures of the Great Nemesis of Sherlock Holmes
  • San Sombrero: A Land of Carnivals, Cocktails and Coups
  • Romance Novel
  • National Lampoon's Doon
  • The Arrangement
  • The Plot Thickens... Harry Potter Investigated by Fans for Fans
Parodist, author of Barry Trotter series, parodies of Harry Potter books. Also known as Mike Gerber or Michael Allen Gerber.

For the business author, see Michael E. Gerber.
More about Michael Gerber...

Barry Trotter (3 books)
  • Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel: The Book Nobody Has Been Waiting for (Barry Trotter, #2)
  • Barry Trotter and the Dead Horse (Barry Trotter, #3)

“Sauber gemacht wird erst, wenn einem der Dreck Tränen in die Augen treibt!” 2 likes