Start by marking “An Ideal Husband” as Want to Read:
An Ideal Husband

An Ideal Husband

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  30,523 Ratings  ·  754 Reviews
Although Oscar Wilde (1854–1900) created a wide range of poetry, essays, and fairy tales (and one novel) in his brief, tragic life, he is perhaps best known as a dramatist. His witty, clever drama, populated by brilliant talkers skilled in the art of riposte and paradox, are still staples of the theatrical repertoire.
An Ideal Husband revolves around a blackmail scheme that
Published February 5th 2001 by Dover Publications (first published April 1st 1893)

To ask other readers questions about An Ideal Husband, please sign up.

Monique It's also part of the humor. Lord Caversham calling his son that shows his indignation and disapproval on what his son is (or is not) doing (by not…moreIt's also part of the humor. Lord Caversham calling his son that shows his indignation and disapproval on what his son is (or is not) doing (by not referring to him as his son, or in some familiar, loving way was they usually did then). When Lord Goring replies back to his father with "Lord Caversham" it reaffirms their "strained" relationship, and besides, it's funny. (less)

Duane
It's a delight to read Wilde's plays, clever and witty, and by all accounts people flocked to the theater in his day to enjoy the fun. I hope a production of this one comes to my town someday, I would love to see it. Very entertaining read, right up there with Earnest.
Vane J.
Feb 19, 2015 Vane J. rated it really liked it
I'm going to say this for the millionth time: Oscar Wilde is a freaking genius. Everything he writes is pure gold. I love his sense of humour, and his writing. He was a great man (treated badly by the society in which he lived) and a great writer too. I wish I could let him know that.

This play was as foolish as the previous one I read, and even when I enjoyed that one more, this one was good all the same. The plot follows some particular characters that are all married or being proposed marriage
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
An Ideal Husband is an 1895 play by Oscar Wilde, exploring hypocrisy, corruption, forgiveness and other themes with Wilde's trademark epigrammatic humor. Sir Robert Chiltern, a moral, upstanding politician (pause while I take a moment to ponder whether there is such a thing), with a lovely young wife who idealizes him, turns out to have a major skeleton in his closet.

You can almost hear Wilde pleading for people to have more tolerance and forgiveness for his own still-hidden-but-beginning-to-fr
Connie
Feb 13, 2017 Connie rated it liked it
Manipulative Mrs Cheveley tries to blackmail Sir Robert Chiltern for a mistake he made as a young man. When his wife finds out, she cannot accept the fact that her husband has imperfections. Lady Chiltern had put him on a pedestal, but no man can be totally righteous. The play has some moments of villainy, levity, and misinterpreted events that lighten the serious themes of reputation, marriage, and forgiveness. The roles of men and women reflect the values of Victorian society.

Oscar Wilde is ve
Emily Snyder
Oct 16, 2011 Emily Snyder rated it it was amazing
When the name "Oscar Wilde" is brought into company, most people immediately think of "The Importance of Being Earnest," or "That fellow who was so witty," or "Oh, wasn't he really, really gay?"

What most people DON'T seem to think of is that Wilde's work was far from trifling (Earnest), more than witty, and often centered quite firmly around the difficulties of heterosexual relationships.

"An Ideal Husband" is a comedy. It's important to remember that when watching recent versions which like to
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Review to come when I figure out whether or not this is as ragingly sexist as I think it might be.
Soumen Daschoudhury
Jul 09, 2014 Soumen Daschoudhury rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves satire
I have been grinning all through the reading of this play! If there is a definition of satire, this has to be it (forgive me my ignorance of not having read more of this kind). I have always respected sarcasm because it is one of the wittiest forms of intelligence and if I may take the liberty to say so, a remedy to the plain and dull way of general life. And Oscar Wilde immerses you in it, completely, and you would rather choke on the drollness of his language than struggle to breathe the unem ...more
Jasmine
This wonderful play with gorgeous lines for Lord Goring would have been a solid four star read, were it not for the last couple of pages where Wilde spoilt it for me. Lord Goring, who in my view is the strongest representative of the author’s voice, fell back into a strongly conventional view of women’s place, without the slightest undertone of irony:

Lord Goring: "A man’s life is of more value than a woman’s. It has larger issues, wider scope, greater ambitions. A woman’s life revolves
Anne
THIS WAS AWESOME!!
Edlira Dibrani
Aug 04, 2015 Edlira Dibrani rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I LOVE READING OSCAR WILDES BOOKS.

This one is actually amazing <3 I quite enjoy reading his books. And this was beyond amazing.

``Mrs.Cheveley:Ah! the strength of women comes from the fact that psychology cannot explain us. Men can be analysed, women . . . merely adored.``

``Lord Goring: I love talking about nothing, father. It is the only thing I know anything about.``

``Lord Goring: Everything is dangerous, my dear fellow. If it wasnt so, life wouldnt be worth living.``

``Lady Chiltern: And h
Sara Steger
Feb 09, 2017 Sara Steger rated it liked it
Shelves: plays, bingo-2017
While An Ideal Husband is typical Wilde in many ways, it is not Wilde at his best. Both Lady Windemere's Fan and The Importance of Being Ernest eclipse it. Still, great fun and charged with the kind of wit one expects from Wilde.

There is a play upon role reversal that is hilarious, as it is the woman who puts the man upon a pedestal and then knocks him off. There are the usual high-jinks with letters that come into the wrong hands and a ludicrous, but quite nifty, foiling of the primary villain
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
eAudio from the library

Catching The Classics Group BOTM: Short Story Selection (Though actually it is a play)

Classic Bingo 2017: I3 Classic Play

This is the third example of Oscar Wilde's writing for me and I really liked it.
Kathy
Feb 09, 2017 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Enjoyable and witty.
El
Jul 27, 2012 El rated it really liked it
(Read as part of the Complete Works of Oscar Wilde.)

One of my bigger problems in life is the inability to read certain texts I know have been turned into movies starring Rupert Everett and not picture him as the star as I read. It's Rupert Everett 24/7 in my head. It's to the point now where even the Oscar Wilde plays I read that weren't turned into Rupert Everett movies are unable to be read without imagining Rupert Everett. I'm broken inside!

However, if you've seen the movie and you've read th
David Lentz
Jun 20, 2011 David Lentz rated it it was amazing
Surely, this is one of the most hilarious comedies ever written by anyone. Every page of the script offers up lines of pure, gracefully articulate wit. Wilde's insight is prodigious and relevant as it could have been written as easily about Wall Street as London of 1895: "Private information is practically the source of every large modern fortune." This is the playwright who, when passing through customs into Canada, was asked if he had anything to declare and replied, "Only my genius." The movi ...more
Linda
Feb 12, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it
Great story. I'll definitely read more of Oscar Wilde. This was my first!
Jonathan
Jan 12, 2012 Jonathan rated it really liked it
While this was an excellent play as with all of Wilde's work I found myself again beaten by Wilde at his best. And what I mean there is that I basically found that this was not Wilde's best work and that as a result compared to The Importance of Being Earnest it fell a little flat.

Oscar Wilde's best work for me has always been highlighted by his dazzling wit and brilliant comedy lines. You cannot go past the scene in The Importance of Being Earnest where Algernon is eating muffins for instance.
Jared
Jul 13, 2010 Jared rated it it was ok
Having seen versions of The Importance of Being Earnest, this book was a big disappointment. Oscar Wilde tries to tackle some heavier material, with very mixed results. There were still a few moments of humor in the play, but they were very infrequent and not nearly as funny as Earnest.

Wilde did a reasonably good job presenting his main thesis, that people need to support and love each other even though they are imperfect, but the dialogue was rather heavy-handed -- preachy -- and he completely
Mohammed
Aug 10, 2014 Mohammed rated it really liked it
لا تحسبن خطيئة الماضي جثة أنت دافنها، فالموتى لا يعودون، لكن شبح الذنب يطاردك حتى الممات.

الزوج المثالي، هي من أطول مسرحيات أوسكار وايلد وأكثرها نضجا. بينما يتأهب السيد تشيلترن لقطف ثمار مسيرته السياسية، يتعرض لابتزاز شنيع من قبل سيدة لا تتواني عن ارتكاب الموبقات في سبيل طموحها. يغدو تشيلترن في موقف لا يحسد عليه: إما أن يخسر منصبه وزوجته ومكانته الاجتماعية، أو يخسر ماتبقى من شرفه وأمانته. كالعادة، يصوغ وايلد الموقف ببراعة، مع بعض التشويق والحوارات الأخلاقية.

إلى جانب العقدة الرئيسية، تزخر المسرحية
Maria Espadinha
Sep 08, 2016 Maria Espadinha rated it really liked it
Nesta peça de teatro a sociedade inglesa é retratada como um grupo de inúteis especialmente dotados na arte de falar sobre coisa nenhuma!

"I love talking about nothing father. It's the only thing I know about"

Podem encontrá-la aqui: http://www.oldtownplayhouse.com/pdfs/...
david
Aug 09, 2016 david rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He may be the most clever playwright in the last couple of hundred years. Sure, I am a fan of Mamet and many others. But I enjoy reading Wilde probably more than attending a show of his. A pure literary delight.
Lyra  Goga
May 20, 2016 Lyra Goga rated it it was amazing
Mr.Wilde is briillianttt!! Even if his works made no sense and had no plot whatsoever I would still read him because I'm in love with the way he uses language.
Missy J
Jan 31, 2017 Missy J rated it really liked it
Very entertaining, witty and fun to read! Oscar Wilde in his true element!

This play revolves around the themes of personal and public honor, forgiveness, society's perception of success, gender relations, blackmail, reputation and political corruption. In less than 80 pages, the reader gets a glimpse into late 19th century London high society.

Sir Robert Chiltern and his wife Lady Chiltern are hosting a dinner party when an unexpected guest arrives, Lady Cheveley. The ladies at the party immedia
Melanti
Witty & clever dialog, but the play between Ideal/Idle/Idol doesn't work quite as well as Ernest/ernest/earnest - maybe because they're not quite homophones.

And a few bits of it feel forced, such as (view spoiler)
Bob
Dec 17, 2016 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this, it has humor, wit, and gives society a good poke in the eye.
Tom
Apr 02, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous, classics, play
I liked "An Ideal Husband" the best of Oscar Wilde's Society Comedies. He managed to continue his skewering of London society, and of the rich and aristocratic. What shines here, though, is that the characters are beautifully drawn, and the dialogue is funny, but without losing its purpose.

I like how the characters with the most pristine character--Lord Robert and Lady Gertrude--are the ones who find themselves most embroiled in scandal, while the most vapid bon vivant (Lord Goring) ends up show
Kelly
Jun 01, 2007 Kelly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Wilde fans
Oscar Wilde, at the height of his powers. It's Earnest, but more evil, and with more pointed social commentary. I can resist anything but temptation... by Oscar Wilde. And this play is among the reasons why.

It's a quick, fun introduction to Wilde and the time period. I recommend it!
Suzanne
Nov 18, 2015 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
SO many great quotes are in this play - I enjoyed it tremendously and it made me wish I were a lot more witty.

“To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.”
Terry
Sep 03, 2012 Terry rated it really liked it
Reading Oscar Wilde is like sipping good champagne - light, witty, sparkling & timeless! I would love to sit between Oscar Wilde and Jane Austen at a dinner party...
Amber
Jan 12, 2016 Amber rated it really liked it
I love Oscar Wilde's work
Catching up on Cl...: February 2017 - An Ideal Husband 91 120 Feb 22, 2017 12:36PM
Catching up on Cl...: This topic has been closed to new comments. * An Ideal Husband 1 17 Feb 01, 2017 10:39AM
Books2Movies Club: An Ideal Husband 2 10 Dec 10, 2016 01:13PM
  • The History Boys
  • Amadeus
  • Edward II
  • Translations
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...

“To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” 2889 likes
“Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people we personally dislike.” 2008 likes