Deterring Democracy

Deterring Democracy

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  494 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Traces U.S. foreign policy objectives throughout the Cold War and offers a commentary on the development of the post-Cold War economic and military structure.
Published May 17th 1991 by Verso (first published 1991)

Greg
Chomsky Shocker!!!

Chomsky just loooooves pointing out the hidden agendas of the New York Times, and showing how imperialistic US support hinders democracy and sometimes even helps perpetuate genocide in other parts of the world. Yeah, yeah, that's what Chomsky does, and that's great; but did you know that according to the US Labor Party (one of Lyndon LaRouche's apparently ever changing groups he uses to try to spread the 'truth' of things like Aristotleanism and how it's just fucking with us al...more
Shad
I'm not the smartest guy in the world but I have good comprehension skills. Even so, Chomsky can be hard to read. He has lots of information and not all of it is presented in a linear fashion. His books are dense and often dry. I love this mind, though, and that's why I keep reading his books.

They are never a quick read. I plan on spending lots of time to stop, think and look up words(!). I think this book is a great example of Chomsky at his best. It's a bit dated here in 2010 but still has lo...more
Steven Salaita
Always a burgeoning little leftist, I got one of my political science professors to assign this book when I was an undergrad. That was no small feat. The poly sci department was enamored of Eric Fucking Voegelin (look him up if you want to be mortified).
Patricia
Although the subject matter was quite interesting, the author's writing style was the epitome of obfuscation. I found it unreadable.
Guy
Jul 02, 2012 Guy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ,,,
The end of the Cold War was greeted by the free world with a self congratulatory praise that echoed off the moon and back. And for the average person, the prospect for disarmament and some kind of 'real' peace had become a tangible reality. But the end of The Cold War gave to the American military industrial complex an opportunity and a problem. The opportunity was that without the USSR as a viable deterrent to American foreign aggression, America now had the opportunity to invade other countrie...more
Antonio Hernández Blas
Debo confesar que me costo trabajo terminar la lectura del presente libro pero es que Chomsky se desborda haciendo un estudio de la actitud del gobierno estadounidense a partir de la segunda guerra mundial y el problema que le presentó el "mal" (comunismo) ante el "bien" (la civilización occidental-estadounidense) y del como dicho mal podría contaminar al mundo con una "mala interpretación" de lo que es la democracia. La "mala interpretación" no es más que ese populismo-nacionalismo que antepone...more
Rafael da Silva
Os EUA com a sua mania de intervir nos outros países a seu bel-prazer acabou criando e promovendo muitas ditaduras na América Latina. E eles ainda tem o cinismo de dizer que lutam pela democracia, assim como dizem lutar contra o Eixo do Mal (Irã, Síria, Coréia do Norte etc).

Uma coisa que as pessoas podem não saber é que muitos dos inimigos atuais foram aliados que cometeram as mesmas barbaridades que cometem hoje, mas naquele tempo eram aliados, logo os EUA faziam vista grossa sobre isso.

Não pre...more
Shriram Jayaraman
The more you read, the more you want to read.
Brett
A good starter for people that don't know much about America's foreign policy (such as myself). Even if you don't agree with his politics or interpretations, he at least gives you plenty of reference points for further research (I have dogeared far too many pages in this book) that you aren't likely to find in most accounts of American history. The book can get a bit repetitive in its message and Chomsky's writing isn't exactly thrilling read, but this is definitely worth a look.
Gemma Williams
I have been reading a lot of Chomsky lately and it has had a big effect, especially on my reading of the media. This book details the USA's fight against democracy with especial reference to Latin America. Apalling stuff.Currently feeling impotent rage, but am glad he is here to open my eyes.
Kevin
This was the first Noam Chomsky book i ever read. I was 18 or 19 and it was pretty life-changing. who knew that the same formula of over-throwing a centrist democratically elected government and installing a pro-business dictator could work so well in so many latin american countries?
Bo
Chomsky met zijn libertair-socialistische gedachten poneert enkel in het laatste hoofdstuk 'Macht en Mening' een aantal interessante stellingen.
bv: over het waarom mensen zich in democratische samenlevingen laten onderwerpen.
Matteo
The beginning of an honest history of the 'cold war', in its international and domestic aspects. It is also the book where i first began to understand the relationship that the US had with right-wing power in italy.
Erik
If it wasn't for this book, I'd probably be trading stocks, working a government job, drinking Coca Cola every day, and living comfortably right now.
pnacattack .com
pnacattack .com marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Ali Jan
Ali Jan marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Faith Bynum
Faith Bynum marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Othman
Othman added it
Jul 17, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Kelsie
Kelsie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Abdiazis
Abdiazis marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Graham
Graham marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Tarlia Jane
Tarlia Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Bit of a mess - merge required? 7 37 May 18, 2013 11:56AM
  • Declarations of Independence: Cross-Examining American Ideology
  • Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower
  • Anarcho-Syndicalism: Theory and Practice
  • Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media
  • Empire's Workshop: Latin America, the United States, and the Rise of the New Imperialism
  • Image and Reality of the Israel-Palestine Conflict, New and Revised Edition
  • Weapons of Mass Deception: The Uses of Propaganda in Bush's War on Iraq
  • Proposed Roads to Freedom: Socialism, Anarchism and Syndicalism
  • Crashing the Party: Taking on the Corporate Government in an Age of Surrender
  • The Tragedy of American Diplomacy
  • The Sorrows of Empire: Militarism, Secrecy, and the End of the Republic (American Empire Project)
  • Labor and Monopoly Capital: The Degradation of Work in the Twentieth Century
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H...more
More about Noam Chomsky...
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance Understanding Power: The Indispensable Chomsky Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy Profit Over People: Neoliberalism and Global Order