Out of Reach

Out of Reach

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Pip dreads every soccer match. His father is always there, yelling and arguing, pushing him to be more like his older brother a winner. Plus, there's the girl next door who outshines him on the field and overlooks him off of it. Then one day, Pip stumbles into a new world inside a rock-climbing gym. He even stumbles into a new, cooler name: Phil. But he still has to find a...more
264 pages
Published October 1st 2008 by Marshall Cavandish (first published 2008)

Biz
REALLY good! I don't relate at all to Pip's experience, but I enjoyed the telling of it. The idea that there is something we are all good at, whether our parents want us to be or not, is totally cheer-worthy. Readers beware: this book will make you want to join a climbing gym to see if you too are a rock climbing prodigy.
Julie
This book wasn't super fantastic in the begining, but I loved it in the end. It was sad about Katie, but kind of gross, too. She was only thirteen and Jordan is like eighteen-ish!
~J
J.
Thirteen year-old Pip hates going to his soccer games because of his dad. He's one of those obnoxious parents who yells and complains about every call. To make matters worse, Pip's older brother Nick is much better at soccer than he is. But when Pip accidentally sneaks into the brand new sports center just down the street before it opens, he finds the room with climbing walls and - before he realizes what he's doing - he climbs to the top without any ropes and finds a sport where he's a natural....more
Sara
Out of Reach by V.M. Jones follows Pip who dreads his father's behavior at his soccer games. When he happens into a climbing gym and finds out that he's a natural he suddenly starts to believe in himself and develops his own identity.

I loved this book and could not put it down, reading the entire thing in one sitting (and that's not usual for me currently). Pip's journey seems authentic and his search for independence is one that kids can identify with. This is a book that I would buy for the bo...more
Charlotte
An encouraging story to read, and also very likable. Going through the struggles of playing a sport he doesn't like, he finds something to set him free. V.M Jones did an amazing job of describing how neglected he felt from his father. A motivating sports story, I loved to read.
Lynde Conroy
This is a good middle school age book. This book is about a young man trying to find himself and his own interests and talents, and breaking free from his families pressures and control. This book focuses on individuality, in a healthy way. The ideals presented would be very applicable for readers ages 10-14. I like that self-esteem and self-worth are hidden themes throughout.
Michelle Peck
Really love this story. I wonder how many boys or girls feel this way about a parent who is a little too into the sport they participate in. I really enjoyed how it was resolved.
Mrs. Schatz
Excellent story about a middle son coming into his own with a father who wanted another version of this son. The story's pace is a little slow but you really know the characters and their feelings. It's definitely a feel good book. And it's about an unusual sport--rock climbing.
Jordan
This book was different. The setting is in New Zeland and really the life isnt much different than life here. Its a simple story about overcoming what people think of you to accomplish your dreams
Diana Perkins
I'm so mad that he and his best friend didn't end up together, and that she went for the jerk-wad. Bad ending, but at least he did well in the tournament...
Bryniqua
this is the book to over the summer because the little boy he is playing soocer right now and then six mouths later his little sister was born
Dedria
This was a really great read.
Fatma
Very amazing book
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Isabella
Isabella marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Diane
Diane added it
Feb 11, 2014
Keely Passmore
Keely Passmore is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Emily Misak
Emily Misak marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Isel
Isel marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Savannah Orth
Savannah Orth marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Serpents of Arakesh (Karazan Quartet, #1) Juggling with Mandarins Beyond the Shroud (Karazan Quartet, #2) The Prince of the Wind (Karazan Quartet, #3) Quest for the Sun (Karazan Quartet, #4)