Start by marking “Out of Reach” as Want to Read:
Out of Reach

Out of Reach

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Pip dreads every soccer match. His father is always there, yelling and arguing, pushing him to be more like his older brother a winner. Plus, there's the girl next door who outshines him on the field and overlooks him off of it. Then one day, Pip stumbles into a new world inside a rock-climbing gym. He even stumbles into a new, cooler name: Phil. But he still has to find a ...more
264 pages
Published October 1st 2008 by Marshall Cavandish (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Out of Reach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Reach

Biz
REALLY good! I don't relate at all to Pip's experience, but I enjoyed the telling of it. The idea that there is something we are all good at, whether our parents want us to be or not, is totally cheer-worthy. Readers beware: this book will make you want to join a climbing gym to see if you too are a rock climbing prodigy.
Julie
This book wasn't super fantastic in the begining, but I loved it in the end. It was sad about Katie, but kind of gross, too. She was only thirteen and Jordan is like eighteen-ish!
~J
Summary:
Pip just wants to make his father proud, but soccer is just not his thing. When he gets the option to begin working out at a new sports center down the street, he finds out that he enjoys climbing. Soon he begins climbing as much as possible, even sneaking out to climb. The rush of climbing to the top with no ropes is a sport that calls to him.

My thoughts:
This is a general coming of age story. It is not particularly unique, but is a good read. Pip is a likeable character. He doesn't end
Shantaea
Beginning of the books wasn't that into in it. Although I didn't relate to the character what so ever, I don't play soccer, I am not a rocker climber prodigy, and I am pressured to win every game, but the book pulled me in. By the end of the book was feeling sad, happy, zealous, and exhilarated. I was sad about Pips' relationship with Kate and his father. Happy that Pip found something he was good at and had fun doing. Zealous about Pip's new niche and how far he would go with it. I love the aut ...more
J.
Thirteen year-old Pip hates going to his soccer games because of his dad. He's one of those obnoxious parents who yells and complains about every call. To make matters worse, Pip's older brother Nick is much better at soccer than he is. But when Pip accidentally sneaks into the brand new sports center just down the street before it opens, he finds the room with climbing walls and - before he realizes what he's doing - he climbs to the top without any ropes and finds a sport where he's a natural. ...more
Sara
Out of Reach by V.M. Jones follows Pip who dreads his father's behavior at his soccer games. When he happens into a climbing gym and finds out that he's a natural he suddenly starts to believe in himself and develops his own identity.

I loved this book and could not put it down, reading the entire thing in one sitting (and that's not usual for me currently). Pip's journey seems authentic and his search for independence is one that kids can identify with. This is a book that I would buy for the bo
Charlotte
An encouraging story to read, and also very likable. Going through the struggles of playing a sport he doesn't like, he finds something to set him free. V.M Jones did an amazing job of describing how neglected he felt from his father. A motivating sports story, I loved to read.
Lynde Conroy
This is a good middle school age book. This book is about a young man trying to find himself and his own interests and talents, and breaking free from his families pressures and control. This book focuses on individuality, in a healthy way. The ideals presented would be very applicable for readers ages 10-14. I like that self-esteem and self-worth are hidden themes throughout.
Michelle Peck
Really love this story. I wonder how many boys or girls feel this way about a parent who is a little too into the sport they participate in. I really enjoyed how it was resolved.
Mrs. Schatz
Excellent story about a middle son coming into his own with a father who wanted another version of this son. The story's pace is a little slow but you really know the characters and their feelings. It's definitely a feel good book. And it's about an unusual sport--rock climbing.
Jordan
This book was different. The setting is in New Zeland and really the life isnt much different than life here. Its a simple story about overcoming what people think of you to accomplish your dreams
Diana Perkins
I'm so mad that he and his best friend didn't end up together, and that she went for the jerk-wad. Bad ending, but at least he did well in the tournament...
Bryniqua
this is the book to over the summer because the little boy he is playing soocer right now and then six mouths later his little sister was born
Dedria
This was a really great read.
Fatma
Very amazing book
Candice Watt
Candice Watt marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Sara!
Sara! marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Shama
Shama marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Lilmissmatilda
Lilmissmatilda marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Mayra
Mayra marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Candice Arnold
Candice Arnold marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Meltha
Meltha marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Serpents of Arakesh (Karazan Quartet, #1) Juggling with Mandarins Beyond the Shroud (Karazan Quartet, #2) The Prince of the Wind (Karazan Quartet, #3) Quest for the Sun (Karazan Quartet, #4)