Start by marking “Lockruf des Todes (Mary Crow, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lockruf des Todes (Mary Crow, #1)

Lockruf des Todes (Mary Crow #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  352 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Atlanta's hottest assistant district attorney, Mary Crow (she's half Cherokee), has just made it six-for-six in murder convictions with her defeat of Calhoun "Handsome Cal" Whitman, and is heading home to Little Jump Off, North Carolina, for a hiking vacation with pals Alexandra McCrimmon and Joan Marchetti. It's been 12 years since the unresolved rape and murder of Mary's ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Ullstein (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Lockruf des Todes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lockruf des Todes

Camille
Jul 19, 2014 Camille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review and others posted over at my blog

Mary Crow and her friends Alex and Joan are taking a long weekend in the mountains of North Carolina, near where Mary grew up. Mary is a young prosecutor in Georgia and after a particularly popular trial she’s hoping to escape into the wilderness with her friends, and also confront her haunted past. Along the way they run into more than just wildlife - they are pursued by a deranged hunter who gets a thrill from hunting humans and a man obsessed with
Normalene
May 27, 2014 Normalene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like James Patterson's Women's Murder Club mysteries or if you like P.T. Deutermann's Cam Richter series, you will like the resourceful Asst. D.A. Mary Crow. After winning a messy murder trial, Mary and her two friends decide to go on a camping trip, but as usual nothing goes as planned. Mary meets a love from her past, a crazy-scary trapper who continuously kills his sister Trudy and the crazy-smart brother of the man she just put in jail. There is also an ongoing sub-plot of a cold-case ...more
Melyssa Williams
I'm not sure why I finished this one, except that the premise was so intriguing. I loved the plot: three strong women camping, and then running from a vicious murderer, using their wits and their bond to escape. But the violence was so out of control. If there's going to be graphic brutality, there needs to be spot-on, excellent writing and character development (think Gillian Flynn). Without a near perfect portrayal of those, I can't get past the violence. For me, Mary was not a strongly drawn ...more
Sherry
Nov 12, 2013 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantatic read; but not for the faint of heart! Strong main character named Mary Crow. Wonderful backdrop in the mountains; amazing depiction of the area & circumstances for these women. I will definitely read all of the books in this series if they are as good as the first one.
Angela Risner
Having read the newest entry in the series first, I'm now working my way through the Mary Crow novels in the correct order. This was Sallie Bissell's debut novel, and it shows, as she does fall into some of the first novel pitfalls. However, it's still a good read (and much better than the Twilight books.)

Mary Crow's world was shattered when her mother was viciously raped and murdered twelve years ago. Since then, Mary has been to college and law school far from her mountain roots. Along the way
Jaime Stevens
Oct 04, 2014 Jaime Stevens rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Susan
Jul 23, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting! Thoroughly engrossing and enjoyable mystery/thriller, the first in the 'Mary Crow' series. The characters were very believable and the scenery descriptions of the forests and wildlife in the Appalachian mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina are spot on - not too long and flowery but just right. This is my first time reading this author and I'm looking forward to finding more of her books.
Donna Schoening
Jan 21, 2016 Donna Schoening rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book was really good & kept my interest throughout. It was a little scary since the three women were being chased by two different men while they were out camping. It had lots of suspense which I really liked. Great book! I'm going to give her next book a try with her character Mary Crow. It's called A Darker Justice.
Cessa
Jul 14, 2012 Cessa rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Mary ist eine erfolgreiche Staatsanwältin die nach einer erfolgreichen Verurteilung mit ihren beiden Freundinnen ein Campingwochenende in ihrer alten Heimat verbringen möchte.
Im Laufe des Buches erfährt man einiges aus der Vergangenheit von Mary, der Fokus liegt aber immer auf dem aktuellen Geschehen. Was als harmloser Wochenendtrip begann endet in einer Hetzjagd die selbst als sie zu Ende zu sein scheint nochmal richtig an Fahrt aufnimmt. Mary und ihre beiden Freundinnen müssen trotz schrecklic
Toni Kania
Sep 18, 2014 Toni Kania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I somewhat struggled with the violence/brutality in this first in a series (and this was written in 2001 before it became so de rigeur), but I really did like the protagonist and the writing. But at least some of the violence was off-stageish, and she didn't rub your nose in it. I'll give a her a second shot...
DNF
It was nice writing and a great, beautiful setting but let go ahead and put a big old Trigger Warning on this for rape from the victims perspective. At least one, I honestly put the book down right then so I don't know if there are more. May have been more.
So a DNF for me.
Rachel Holbrook
Apr 23, 2016 Rachel Holbrook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly engaging story!

This fast-paced story had me on the edge of my seat from the get go! The characters, plot, and setting were exquisitely done. Fans of Karin Slaughter and Barbara Kingsolver will appreciate this exciting thriller with engaging descriptions of the ecology and Cherokee people.
Patrick Miller
Mar 09, 2011 Patrick Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with Mary Crow in this riveting series opener. I also developed an online tourism guide for the book at the Southeastern Literary Tourism Initiative that includes an excerpt, photos of the area, and tourism links for readers who want to visit the real Nantahala National Forest. Check it out here: http://southeasternliterarytourismini...

Is it possible to actually be in love with a fictional character? While Sallie writes the fifth installment, I continue to pine away for Mary. The
Gisele
Mar 27, 2016 Gisele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner...pretty raw and violent at times though...so much for getting out of city! Good read!
Susan
Oct 06, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good suspense thriller after a slow start. Didn't care for the vulgarity at beginning..overdone.
Marcy
Aug 14, 2014 Marcy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My grandma gave me this book sometime when I was in high school. She didn't know what it was about, she just grabbed a bunch of books at a garage sale and gave them to me. This book scarred me for life. It does contain rape, and that is not something I enjoy reading about or seeing on any TV or movie.
Jan
Jun 16, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a review of this book in the Our State magazine (North Carolina) and hesitated picking it up. But am I glad I did! I don't usually read murder adventure-type mysteries and now I know why. #1 I can't put them down, #2 I can't sleep after I put them down and #3 I get all riled up thinking about how I would take care of the stinkin' monsters who creep through the book and who do awful things to good people. So....my next book will be a juvenile fiction book full of happy people, fairies and ...more
Phyllis Wright
Nov 01, 2015 Phyllis Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OUTSTANDINGFABULOUSEXTREME! WOW! What a book!
Tena Frank
Dec 18, 2014 Tena Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read three of Sallie Bissell's novels in the Mary Crow series so far. In the Forest of Harm was the first and it grabbed me immediately and didn't let go. I've since read the two latest - Music of Ghosts and Deadliest of Sins, and have the others in the series high up on my "to read" list. Mary Crow is captivating -- strong, accomplished, a bit damaged, resilient . . . everything you could want in a heroine. In the Forest of Harm is scary and compelling. A truly good read!
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This is the book before A Darker Justice, which I read last year. In this one, Atlanta assistant DA Mary Crowe is returning to the scene of her mother's murder for the first time in fourteen years. In the North Carolina mountains, she and her friends come across unexpected danger. I picked this author because she sets the stories in an area not far from here, but I've grown attached to the main character (Mary) and how her upbringing contrasts with her current life.
Ruth
Apr 16, 2009 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, series
Tracy
Oct 26, 2008 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of 4 books in the Mary Crow series. I was looking for something different, but didn't know quite what I wanted, so another row back I found a clearance section of the book store. At a bargain basement price, the jacket struck my interest and figured "why not". I'm so glad I bought this book! I was in the mood for a "nail biter" kind of book, and I sure got one. I'm not one for spoilers, so you'll not find one here.
Swanbender2001
Aug 05, 2009 Swanbender2001 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG, this was a book that sent shivers up my spine. It would definitely come to mind while I hiked but, fortunately I don’t have the sort of background Mary Crow has of generating revengeful enemies. This would make a great Hollywood movie because of the thriller quality of two ruthless trackers working indepently of each other. Their dark sides would look so good on the big screen compared to Mary's self-assured one.
Name Doris Powell
Jul 22, 2013 Name Doris Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want an adventure story this is it. It took me awhile to get into the story, but once I did, the tale did not let me go. Mary Crow is a Cherokee daughter. She is also a successful prosecutor in Atlanta. She goes camping with her two best girl friends in the North Carolina-Tennessee mountains for a long weekend. From then on the action doesn't stop. I liked this book because of its North Carolina mountain setting.
Linda
Jun 15, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started with Sallie Bissell's most recent book, Music of Ghosts, and while I enjoyed it, there were a lot of questions with events mentioned that apparently had happened in previous books, so I decided to go back and start with her first book. I could not put this one down! But I may never be able to go to the mountains alone again! Starting the second book, A Darker Justice, now.
Kelly Hogan
Apr 22, 2009 Kelly Hogan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OOo! What a thriller! I would have given it five stars, except that the first half was a bit slow-moving and the ending was a little bit predictable. HOWEVER, I really enjoyed the second half of the book and found myself getting VERY involved/interested in these characters! It was a really good and scary tale that was very well-told! I'm headed to the library to get part two now!
Kae Cheatham
Jul 15, 2010 Kae Cheatham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I really don't like thrillers, and this one was top-notch for the genre.
Bissell's well-defined characters were so magnificently drawn I could only read 25-30 pages at a time: the bad guys were Sooo bad; the graphic descriptions of rape and beatings were Sooo horrific! Good tension throughout.

For me, the strongest part was description of those rugged mountain forests. Exquisite!
Hannah Dorah
Aug 01, 2012 Hannah Dorah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed it. I love thrillers, horror and outdoors... So of course it was a great read for me :) read it or not the choice is yours, you'll never know if you like a book if all u do is sit around and read reviews. I'm pretty sure books are better than reviews, lol.
Michelle riego
Jan 24, 2012 Michelle riego rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ok i thought at first it was a good book to read since im looking for a suspense one, well unfortunately it didn't exceed my expectation and there's a lot of scene that needed to be improve.
Susy Barnett
Apr 19, 2012 Susy Barnett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book especially for those of us from Western NC. The main character, Mary Crow,is a hot shot lawyer who works for the DA in Atlanta but who is drawn back to her Cherokee roots.
North Carolina Go...: I is for In the Forest of Harm 1 2 Jun 09, 2014 04:04PM
  • The Tree People
  • Cry Dance
  • She-Rain:  A Story of Hope
  • The Shaman Sings (Charlie Moon, #1)
  • The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2)
  • Cataloochee
  • White Sky, Black Ice (Nathan Active Mystery, #1)
  • Under the Dog Star (Rachel Goddard Mystery #4)
  • Mercury's Rise (Silver Rush, #4)
  • Kansas Troubles (Benni Harper, #3)
  • A Window in Copacabana
  • Race for Redemption (The Grandmaster's Legacy #2)
  • Miss Lizzie
  • On Viney's Mountain
  • Out to Pasture: But Not over the Hill

Mary Crow (7 books)
  • A Darker Justice (Mary Crow, #2)
  • Call the Devil by His Oldest Name (Mary Crow, #3)
  • Legacy of Masks (Mary Crow, #4)
  • Music of Ghosts (Mary Crow, #5)
  • Deadliest of Sins (Mary Crow, #6)
  • A Judgment of Whispers (Mary Crow, #7)