Start by marking “The Sense of Sight” as Want to Read:
The Sense of Sight

The Sense of Sight

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  136 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
With this provocative and infinitely moving collection of essays, a preeminent critic of our time responds to the profound questions posed by the visual world. For when John Berger writes about Cubism, he writes not only of Braque, Léger, Picasso, and Gris, but of that incredible moment early in this century when the world converged around a marvelouis sense of promise. Wh ...more
Published November 30th 1993 by Vintage (first published January 12th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Sense of Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sense of Sight

Elise
Jan 26, 2008 Elise rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Elise by: everyone
I reread these essays all the time. The final essay "The Production of Reality" (Berger's description of his visit to the van Gogh museum)saved my life.
Berger is a historian,art-critic, marxist, and spriritual/moral guide.
I am pretty sure that John Berger has seen and thought about every single piece of art that has ever existed.
Salomé Jashi
Dec 30, 2010 Salomé Jashi rated it liked it
Shelves: essays
The way he writes is extremely visual. it's like watching a film based on small details that make you happy out of nothing. Here's one chapter from this book

Namrirru
Nov 14, 2014 Namrirru rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, essays
The prose of this book is unbelievably beautiful.
Brynn
Jan 11, 2012 Brynn rated it really liked it
"All the languages of art have been developed as an attempt to transform the instantaneous into the permanent." (9)

"Art is an organized response to what nature allows us to glimpse occasionally." (9)

"In any case experience folds upon itself, refers backwards and forwards to itself through the referents of hope and fear; and, by the use of metaphor which is at the origin of language, it is continually comparing like with unlike, what is small with what is large, what is near with what is distant.
Dixon
Apr 11, 2008 Dixon rated it really liked it
I didn't particularly enjoy the entire book. As a collection of short essays it was a little overbearing. However, two of my favorite short pieces are in the collection. Manhattan & The Theatre of Indifference, which run smoothly together in style, composition and concept. If you have not read these, they are a must, especially in the postmodern society of the 21st century.
Atila Demirkasımoğlu
Kübizm Anı çok önemli bir makale. Yine Şiirin Saati de önemli. John Berger, sanatçı ve yazarı şahsında bütünleyebilmiş bir kişi. Yeni güzellik ve düşüncelerle buluşurken bakmayı ve görmeyi, öncelikle zihinsel bir faaliyet ama ancak birikimin üzerine koyulan bir faaliyet olarak gören ve bunu son derece yalın ve sade biçimde gerçekleştiren bir kişi.
Tyler Smith
Apr 21, 2013 Tyler Smith rated it liked it
One can only read Marxist interpretations of art for so many pages. About 150, I think. Berger is a mammoth, but I wish he'd stop letting Karl Marx tell me why Modigliani is important and just do it himself.
Blair
Aug 30, 2013 Blair rated it it was amazing
I'm sure I'll say this again somewhere in my reviews, but read any John Berger you can. He's fantastic. (Seminal work: Ways Of Seeing)
Holi Bats
Holi Bats marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
A Sharkus
A Sharkus rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Austen
Austen marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Wistar
Wistar is currently reading it
May 17, 2016
Seamus O'riley
Seamus O'riley marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Catherine Brereton
Catherine Brereton rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Rafael Bernardo
Rafael Bernardo marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Alexander Crandall
Alexander Crandall marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Zach Brisson
Zach Brisson rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Leanne Sarubbi
Leanne Sarubbi marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Tuomas
Tuomas marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Herr Bellerophon
Herr Bellerophon marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Elizabeth Lignou
Elizabeth Lignou marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Lorena
Lorena marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Voula Halliday
Voula Halliday marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
M.
M. added it
Feb 24, 2016
  • Theory of Film: The Redemption of Physical Reality
  • The Transfiguration of the Commonplace: A Philosophy of Art
  • Writings on Art and Literature (Meridian)
  • The Open Work
  • Under the Sign of Saturn: Essays
  • The Cultural Studies Reader
  • The Women Who Knew Too Much: Hitchcock and Feminist Theory
  • Freehand: Sketching Tips and Tricks Drawn from Art
  • Selected Writings on Art and Literature (Penguin Classics)
  • World Enough & Time: On Creativity and Slowing Down
  • Film as Art
  • Essential Works of Foucault (1954-84), Vol 2: Aesthetics, Method & Epistemology
  • Making Art a Practice: How to Be the Artist You Are
  • The Voices of Silence: Man and His Art. (Abridged from the Psychology of Art)
John Peter Berger is an English art critic, novelist, painter and author. His novel G. won the 1972 Booker Prize, and his essay on art criticism Ways of Seeing, written as an accompaniment to a BBC series, is often used as a college text.

Later he was self exiled to continental Europe, living between the french Alps in summer and the suburbs of Paris in winter. Since then, his production has increa
More about John Berger...