Start by marking “The Sense of Sight” as Want to Read:
The Sense of Sight

The Sense of Sight

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  7 reviews
With this provocative and infinitely moving collection of essays, a preeminent critic of our time responds to the profound questions posed by the visual world. For when John Berger writes about Cubism, he writes not only of Braque, Léger, Picasso, and Gris, but of that incredible moment early in this century when the world converged around a marvelouis sense of promise. Wh ...more
Published November 30th 1993 by Vintage Books (first published January 12th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Sense of Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sense of Sight

Elise
Jan 26, 2008 Elise rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elise by: everyone
I reread these essays all the time. The final essay "The Production of Reality" (Berger's description of his visit to the van Gogh museum)saved my life.
Berger is a historian,art-critic, marxist, and spriritual/moral guide.
I am pretty sure that John Berger has seen and thought about every single piece of art that has ever existed.
Salomé Jashi
The way he writes is extremely visual. it's like watching a film based on small details that make you happy out of nothing. Here's one chapter from this book

Namrirru
The prose of this book is unbelievably beautiful.
Brynn
"All the languages of art have been developed as an attempt to transform the instantaneous into the permanent." (9)

"Art is an organized response to what nature allows us to glimpse occasionally." (9)

"In any case experience folds upon itself, refers backwards and forwards to itself through the referents of hope and fear; and, by the use of metaphor which is at the origin of language, it is continually comparing like with unlike, what is small with what is large, what is near with what is distant.
Dixon
I didn't particularly enjoy the entire book. As a collection of short essays it was a little overbearing. However, two of my favorite short pieces are in the collection. Manhattan & The Theatre of Indifference, which run smoothly together in style, composition and concept. If you have not read these, they are a must, especially in the postmodern society of the 21st century.
Tyler Smith
One can only read Marxist interpretations of art for so many pages. About 150, I think. Berger is a mammoth, but I wish he'd stop letting Karl Marx tell me why Modigliani is important and just do it himself.
Blair
I'm sure I'll say this again somewhere in my reviews, but read any John Berger you can. He's fantastic. (Seminal work: Ways Of Seeing)
MinwooChoe
MinwooChoe marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Gabriela
Gabriela marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Nazia
Nazia marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Joyce Amen
Joyce Amen marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Holly
Holly is currently reading it
May 31, 2015
Ramy
Ramy marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
JJ Cross
JJ Cross marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Jur
Jur marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Yasir Husain
Yasir Husain marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Kate Kaluzny
Kate Kaluzny marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Suzanne Hanks
Suzanne Hanks marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Sameen Agha
Sameen Agha marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
  • Styles of Radical Will
  • Critical Theory: Selected Essays
  • The Women Who Knew Too Much: Hitchcock and Feminist Theory
  • The Cultural Studies Reader
  • Writings on Art and Literature (Meridian)
  • Signs Taken For Wonders: Essays on the Sociology of Literary Forms (Verso Radical Thinkers)
  • The Voices of Silence: Man and His Art. (Abridged from the Psychology of Art)
  • World Enough & Time: On Creativity and Slowing Down
  • Making Art a Practice: How to Be the Artist You Are
  • The Artist's Reality: Philosophies of Art
  • Freehand: Sketching Tips and Tricks Drawn from Art
  • Flesh and Stone: The Body and the City in Western Civilization
John Peter Berger is an English art critic, novelist, painter and author. His novel G. won the 1972 Booker Prize, and his essay on art criticism Ways of Seeing, written as an accompaniment to a BBC series, is often used as a college text.
More about John Berger...
Ways of Seeing About Looking G. To the Wedding And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos