Start by marking “King: A Street Story” as Want to Read:
King: A Street Story

King: A Street Story

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  12 reviews
With the poetic acuity that renders his work timeless, Booker Prize-winning author John Berger brings us a 24-hour chronicle of homelessness. Beside a highway, in a wasteland furnished with smashed trucks and broken washing machines, lives a vagrant community of once-hopeful individuals, now abandoned by the twentieth century.

King, our narrator, is the guardian of a homele
Published November 14th 2000 by Vintage (first published February 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King

Until Tuesday by Luis Carlos MontalvánA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Top Dog Reads
127th out of 343 books — 462 voters
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskySpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonGirl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierConfessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire
Best Books of 1999
83rd out of 228 books — 113 voters

More lists with this book...

Phillip Edwards
John Berger has a sparse, uncomplicated, writing style, and the matter-of-fact way he discloses unexpected details can be devastating. For example, on the second page you are jolted with this:

"A month ago a gang of kids poured petrol over an old man
who was sleeping in a street behind the Central Station
and then they threw a match on to him. He woke up in flames."

The book chronicles the events of a single day in the life of a homeless couple called Vica and Vico, as seen through the eyes of King
Kate B
Amazing. Great prose. Great story. From the perspective of a homeless dog.
Charlie
Sep 27, 2012 Charlie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Rating this book caused me a lot of internal conflict. And now here it is with its not-so-fancy two-star rating and you're probably wondering, "Well, Charlie, you obviously weren't impressed, so why the conflict?"

My explanation is this:
Berger is an amazing writer. Some of the lines in this book are so beautifully written that I wish I'd kept King at its original three-star rating. But the problem is that when all was said and done, the quality of the writing didn't knock me over more than the ch
Michael Brickey
Jul 05, 2010 Michael Brickey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
From the perspective of a dog, Berger offers a view of the world from the bottom. King, a street dog, has found his home among the marginalized who have built a small makeshift neighborhood in the un-"developed" space adjacent to a freeway. Beyond creating a narrative that focuses mainly on what King sees, hears, and smells along with his daily telepathic conversations with Vica and Vico, his owners so to speak, Berger weaves a pointed criticism of the modern dog-eat-dog society. In this piece o ...more
Kurtlu
düğüne kadar olmasa da incelikli, yürek burkan bir hikayesi var. bana trt'nin ömür dediğin programını anımsattı okurken. düşüş, yok oluş, çaresizlik ve pişmanlık gibi yaşlılığa özgü olumsuz duygular iyi ifade edilmiş.
Jim
My friend Colleen gave this book to me. The narrator, a dog in England, describes his relationships with the people he lives with - a group of homeless folks squatting on land between a motorway and the sea. Very interesting. Memorable line occurs on page 73, when the character Vico, commenting on pillars carved into the likeness of naked women, said, "They were a sign...of a confident civilization which displayed in public art what it liked to enjoy in secret." I thought this book was rich in b ...more
Miranda
I felt that this book got better towards the end. It took a while for me to feel much connection with the characters, even by the end I felt more of a connection with the concept of their home rather than the people themselves I think. It wasn't necessarily a book that I always wanted to pick up, but there were some lovely poetic paragraphs throughout. The end was both emotive and made me think - both good things!
Peter
A piece of post-apocalyptic poetry, King gives us a glimpse into the souls of shanty-town dwellers and their tugs of war between what they once savored and what they now endure. Narrated by a dog, King peels away artifice to serve us the heart of Saint-Valery's denizens.
Kirstie
A fascinating read..life on the street from the perspective of a dog. He is in his own way a literary version of a street photographer...a well written adventure and a different take on life.
Feb 05, 2008 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: blokes and cheeky monkeys
Dog poetry. If I liked poetry I would probably like this book whole lot more. Although it's fun to imagine a dog with a british accent.
Lynne
Feb 25, 2009 Lynne added it
About a homeless camp in some European city, possibly Lisbon, told from the point of view of a dog. Great dog!
Jess
Terrible. After 115 pages, I was still waiting for something interesting to happen. Couldn't finish it.
Soairse
Soairse marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Pinar
Pinar marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Clark Knowles
Clark Knowles marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Basak Ozkeskin
Basak Ozkeskin marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Cala
Cala marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Mikael Holmström
Mikael Holmström marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Till Veerbeck
Till Veerbeck is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2014
  • From Death to Morning
  • Impossible Object
  • We Think the World of You
  • Sheep and Wolves
John Peter Berger is an English art critic, novelist, painter and author. His novel G. won the 1972 Booker Prize, and his essay on art criticism Ways of Seeing, written as an accompaniment to a BBC series, is often used as a college text.
More about John Berger...
Ways of Seeing About Looking G. To the Wedding And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos