Start by marking “The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)

The Snake Tattoo (Carlotta Carlyle #2)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  1,088 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Carlotta Carlyle, ex-cop, struggling private eye, and 6'1" of long tall redhead, takes any case that walks through the door. This time the door opens twice. First in is her old partner, Lieutenant Mooney of the Boston police, unfairly charged with brutality, suspended, and desperate. The witness who can clear him is a hooker with a snake tattoo...and she's vanished.

The sec
Published February 16th 2004 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Snake Tattoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snake Tattoo

Scott Rhee
Oct 01, 2013 Scott Rhee rated it liked it
I don't like the term "chick lit", although I use it frequently, generally for aesthetic purposes. (It sounds better than "women's lit" or "feminist lit", in my opinion.) I use it to describe a vast amount of stuff that probably isn't chick lit, including everything from Camille Paglia to romance novels. Generally, I don't read a lot of chick lit, although I certainly don't have a problem reading women authors. Some of my favorite authors are women.

(Holy shit, that sounds awful...)

Okay, let me s
Ruth
Mar 22, 2009 Ruth rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-pi
as i said i like this series - like characters and dialogue - listening on cd and like the interpretation of the reader c.j. critt.
Patty
Dec 15, 2016 Patty rated it really liked it
Like the characters and setting. Not as detailed as, for instance, paretsky, but in the same vein.
Nick Sheridan
Feb 22, 2012 Nick Sheridan rated it really liked it
My longer review of this book is posted at CrapLookingBooks.com

Carlotta Carlyle is a straight-talking no-swearing ex-cop by day and cab driver by night, and her world view can be summed up in the following made-up quote: "I used to be a cop, and it gives me an eye for detail that makes near-omnipotent narration in the first person so much easier."

Directly addressed as "you", whoever I am, it feels too much like me and Ms Carlyle have just met, and she's showing me around her shitty home and thro
Marleen
Dec 19, 2011 Marleen rated it liked it
Shelves: linda-barnes
As soon as you start reading one of the Carlotta Carlyle mysteries you know you're in for a great ride. Carlotta is my favorite P.I. of all times, because life isn't always smooth for her, but she takes it all in stride: Her financial state, her arty-weirdo live-in tenant Roz, and her not so clear on-off relationship with mob-son Sam Gianelli. She's a fighter and she has such a great personality. She's loyal, driven and has a code of honor that I admire in her difficult profession.
Here, Carlotta
Ed
May 29, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
#2 in the Carlotta Carlyle series.

Carlotta Carlyle series - Her old friend, Lieutenant Mooney of the Boston police, is under investigation for excessive brutality and Carlyle is trying to track down the lone witness who can clear his name, a blonde hooker with a snake tattoo. While on surveillance in Boston's Combat Zone, Carlyle (who drives a cab to make ends meet) accidentally gets a fare and a second case; a troubled teenage boy, freshly rolled for his wallet, tumbles into her cab and involve
Jan
Aug 27, 2013 Jan rated it liked it
I had to buy this book in paperback because it is the second book in Linda Barnes's Carlotta Carlisle series, and it is not available on Kindle. During the reading process, I kept losing my place, taping unsuccessfully to turn a page and also unsuccessfully taping to get a word definition. An altogether cumbersome routine that I hope to have to rarely repeat! I was glad that I purchased the book as the mysteries were good and there was enough character information throughout that I would have be ...more
Gail
Jun 24, 2014 Gail rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this series. Carlotta is smart and tough. Roz is colorful and resourceful. Mooney is trustworthy if a bit crusty. Sam, Carlotta's love interest is hot but mysterious. The mysteries are engaging. This is the 2nd book in the series but 3rd book I've read. I'm going to keep reading them until I'm done with the whole series.

I downloaded this as an audio book. Carlotta and company have been my dinner companions the last few nights. Very pleasant as even the crime scenes aren't to
Nancy
Dec 24, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, listened-to
We listened to this audio book on the way to and from Boise for Solstice with my children and grandchildren. The narrator is good which helped the miles fly by. I'd really enjoyed another book by Linda Barnes, The Perfect Ghost which is a stand alone mystery. This is the 2nd book in a series and has all the aspects one expects in a series. Still, The Perfect Ghost was enough better that I felt a bit disappointed at this one.
Cathy
Dec 11, 2015 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, series, police
This the second in a series; I had not read the first one. The author gave enough background info, but did not seem to be divulging any book one secrets. I really like Carlotta, the main character. She's a former cop PI. The book had two plot lines going and I found myself caring much more about one than the other. I would probably read more books in this series.
Feb 06, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Mostly I enjoy Linda Barnes for two reasons:

1) She sets her books in Boston/Cambridge, and knows the city well. It's fun to read a mystery set in your town.

2) Carlotta Carlyle is a likable, no-nonsense, female hardboiled detective. They can be hard to find.

Other than that, her books are pretty average.
Ryan Mishap
Oct 20, 2008 Ryan Mishap rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
While I continued to read this, the second book almost always disappoints,, unless the author makes an effort not to rewrite the first. Sometimes that happens, but most times the series writer changes the mystery radically but keeps the other stuff very similar. Then, when desperate, they write about a forty year old cold case (quotes around that!)
Cat.
Jun 07, 2012 Cat. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
The second Carlotta Carlyle book, in which Mooney is searching for a woman with this tattoo in order to prop up his alibi about his involvement in a bar fight. The rest of the plot is about a missing teenager from an exclusive private school. I'd read this--or at least I remember the latter plotline--so I know what was going to happen there. Still, a good book.

June 1, 2001
Dee
Mar 07, 2016 Dee rated it liked it
This series started in the late 80's, I have been able to get all the books and started reading. This is the second in the series. Carlotta is a PI who was once on the police force. Set in Boston she also drives a cab on and off to help in surveillance. Light reading, but it keeps your interest. Good beach read.
Robert Scott
Jul 04, 2015 Robert Scott rated it really liked it
Finished 04/14/2011. Carlotta is hired by a teenager to find a missing student from an exclusive private school. As it turns out the girl is hooking in the Combat Zone because she has been sexually abused by her father. Mooney is also in trouble and has asked for help to find a witness who has disappeared. Witness had a snake tattoo.
Jackie
May 03, 2010 Jackie rated it liked it
The second book in this series, and I liked it. Unfortunately it had been too long since I read the first book so I felt a bit disjointed while trying to reacquaint myself with the characters. A bit slow moving for my tastes, but I really like Carlotta!
Joyce
Mar 04, 2009 Joyce rated it liked it
Another oldie. Carlotta Carlyle is a PI and cab driver in Boston. She is searching for a missing teen age girl and also a witness to a bar fight involving a cop friend. Each case helps her with the other. Murder, looking like suicide, and bad doers abound. A good read that held up.
Barbara
Apr 25, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I do enjoy following mystery series populated with familiar people and places. Even when reading them out of order, I still find comfort in these alternate worlds of entertainment. Carlotta Carlyle is a tall redhead PI who drives cabs in Boston in between solving murder mysteries.
Petula Darling
Jan 26, 2010 Petula Darling rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
This is really just a basic mystery and should probably only get three stars, but it's been so long since I've read a book whose heroine doesn't make me roll my eyes at her idiocy that I'm overcome with generosity. Well done, Carlotta.
Mary_ellen Batcho
Aug 30, 2013 Mary_ellen Batcho rated it it was amazing
I have read this more than once and I still get afraid to turn the page.Linda's writing is colorful and intense and often involves a young child, which helps to keep you on the edge of your seat.
Anita
Dec 03, 2013 Anita rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Carlotta is a cool dame! She is a former cop turned PI who stands up for her friend and former boss, Moody and snags a second case to find a run away girl. Good mystery to both cases.
JoDee
Aug 26, 2013 JoDee rated it liked it
Introduction to the character. After reading the final 3 books in the series I am backing up to the beginning and starting over.
Suziqoregon
Mar 21, 2008 Suziqoregon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, library
My blog post about this book is at this link.
Joe O'c
Aug 23, 2009 Joe O'c rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing Character: Carlotta Carlyle; private investigator's former police partner is being framed and she works on solving that case while at the same time looking for a missing teen.
Jen
Reading stuff set in Boston is fun. Older mysteries are hard, sometimes, because they become obviously dated if it's not intentional (ala Kinsey Milhone), but twas a good nighttime cellphone read.
Terri
Aug 21, 2008 Terri rated it really liked it
I read that this was an entertaining writer. I really enjoyed this book, and I'm reading another of hers. :)
Doreen Dickinson
Aug 18, 2013 Doreen Dickinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
finally a fun fairly light book this summer. the heroine is fantastic. I am going to read the series.
Jeanette
This was a good book. The plot was interesting, and the main character is likable and tough. Will read more of this series.
Zodama Bug
Zodama Bug rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2010
Sarita
Sarita rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2012
  • The Cheshire Cat's Eye
  • A Hell of a Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #3)
  • Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3)
  • Sisters in Crime 4 (Sisters in Crime, #4)
  • The Good Friday Murder (Christine Bennett, #1)
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi ...more
More about Linda Barnes...

Carlotta Carlyle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • Coyote (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery, #3)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)
  • Hardware (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #6)
  • Cold Case (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #7)
  • Flashpoint (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #8)
  • The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9)
  • Deep Pockets (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #10)
  • Heart of the World (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #11)