Deep Pockets (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #10)

Deep Pockets (Carlotta Carlyle #10)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  452 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Harvard professor Wilson Chaney's position in life is hanging by a thread; his marriage, his reputation, not to mention his tenure at Harvard are in the hands of a blackmailer, someone threatening to sell Chaney's secrets at very high prices. His enviable life could disappear into thin air should the blackmailer's evidence - proof of his affair with a young student - becom
Published December 28th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Pockets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Pockets

Scilla
Carlotta is hired by a black Harvard Professor who is being blackmailed for sleeping with a student. Then she finds out the student is dead - supposedly killing herself in a fire in the Harvard boat house. Delving deeper, Carlotta finds a young local man claimed at the death site that he was her fiance. Carlotta is not convinced of the suicide, and she keeps following. The professor has a research company which might be in line for making lots of money which turns out to be the main issue. While...more
Jerry
Carlotta seems back to her old fun self in this good mystery...

We'll admit that the tall volleyball enthusiast, blues lover, and quirky lady PI (and part-time cabbie) Carlotta Carlyle is one of our favorite characters, having read all previous nine entries in this series. We enjoyed "Pockets" more than Barnes' just prior effort, "The Big Dig", as in that novel our familiar supporting cast were mysteriously all absent. Even Carlotta herself seemed a bit "off her game" though the story itself and...more
Lain
I am baffled as to why Linda Barnes is not at the top of every mystery lover's list. Her character, Carlotta Carlyle, is like a blend of Kinsey Millhone and Stephanie Plum -- she's got chutzpah when it's needed, but there are some soft edges to her, too. Barnes' stories are impeccably plotted with just enough twists and turns to keep you guessing until the end. And her writing is smooth and fresh.

"Deep Pockets," the tenth in the series, is as complete a mystery package as anyone could hope for....more
Gail
Carlotta Carlyle is back and this time the mystery takes her to Harvard where a professor is being blackmailed. Roz, Paolina, Gloria & Sam round out the cast in this book. Missing Mooney. Hope he shows up in another book soon.

I liked this book because it had one mystery. No coincidental secondary story that ends up overlapping with the primary story.
Gabrielle
This book is about Carlotta Carlyle who is hired to track down a blackmailer. She discovers along her journey that this task me be to much for even her. She gives it her best shot and she has to admit that she loves the thrill. The book was fast paced and I am very pleased with the ending.
Barbara
What I like about Linda Barnes' heroine Carlotta Carlyle is her feistiness and her persistence, and of course, the books have a Boston setting which always adds interest for me. This particular title is on par with the others that I've read. A Harvard professor is being blackmailed because of an affair that he had with a student, no longer alive. Her death was presumed to be a suicide, quite a spectacular one in fact. As is often the case with mysteries, this one turns out to be quite convoluted...more
Marleen
I would give this book a 3 1/2 stars if it was possible. Although the plot of this mystery story was less appealing, less interesting to me personally (than her previous books), I can't deny that I admire, more and more, the integrity of character Carlotta Carlysle displays.
L. Barnes succeeds in giving Carlotta more depth, more colors, with each book. I can't wait to read the next Carlotta Carlysle mystery, only to read how her personal story evolves, and to watch what happens to the people tha...more
Bonnie Irwin
I was delighted to discover that I had missed one of the Carlotta Carlyle books and I could read it after my recent trip to Boston, where most of the novels are set.This installment has Carlotta investigating a blackmail case against a Harvard faculty member and delves a bit into the tensions between Boston and Cambridge. Some of the supporting cast have smaller roles that I like to see, but Deep Pockets was a good page-turner for the summer.
Carol Jean
Well plotted with excellent characters and just the right plot twists! I can't think why I lost track of this author, but I see her newest doesn't feature Carlyle. I'm interested to see where she's going next!
Donna Murray
This sort of mystery is bread-and-butter to me; I grew up reading them. While I enjoyed it, this one didn't stand out from the crowd for me. Still, I am a Linda Barnes fan and will seek out others.
Linda
This was a fast read. I thought the novel was similiar to that of Janet Evanovich and that it would be well liked by all. The book discussion club did NOT agree. Few members liked the book.
Queue
Jan 01, 2008 Queue rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: diehard Carlotta Carlyle fans
Shelves: recently-read
Nowhere near as good as most of the books in this series. Apparently Linda Barnes' editor was on vacation. Worth it for completists; everyone else should probably give it a miss.
Phyllis
Although not quite as good as others in this series, this book is still a good read and not to be missed especially by fans of Carlotta Carlyle. Recommended.
Noel Palatas
I sometimes find myself getting bored with long running mystery series but I have consistently enjoyed following the adventures of Carlotta Carlyle.
Karen
This is a new author I found at the bookstore. I enjoyed the book, it was well written and I look forward to reading others by this author
Michelle
Picked this book up by chance and found out it was a series. Now I need to go back and start from the beginning. Really like Carlotta!
Catherine Woodman
Carlotta has lots of gumption and the people who inhabit her life remain consistent and interesting over the series
Deirdre S.
A couple of good twists, and some developments in relationships that run through the series.
Bevjirwin
love her books-will start the next tonight
Nancy
Fun to read about Boston/Cambridge via a mystery!
Anne
Check to make sure I read this one.
Laurie Stoll
Good book. Great suspense.
Lisa
Dec 01, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
Carlyle
Crimson
Crimson marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
  • Katapult (Kat Colorado, #2)
  • The Dangerous Hour (Sharon McCone, #23)
  • Jazz Funeral (Skip Langdon, #3)
  • The Alpine Nemesis
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi...more
More about Linda Barnes...
A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1) The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9) The Perfect Ghost The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2) Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)