Start by marking “Deep Pockets (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #10)” as Want to Read:
Deep Pockets (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #10)

Deep Pockets (Carlotta Carlyle #10)

Harvard professor Wilson Chaney's position in life is hanging by a thread; his marriage, his reputation, not to mention his tenure at Harvard are in the hands of a blackmailer, someone threatening to sell Chaney's secrets at very high prices. His enviable life could disappear into thin air should the blackmailer's evidence - proof of his affair with a young student - becom
Published December 28th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Pockets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Pockets

Dagny
Aug 31, 2015 Dagny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
It's been a long time since I read one of the Carlotta Carlyle books and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed them. This one has a complicated scenario but never overwhelmingly so. It was interesting watching Carlotta find the slenderest of clues and tie everything together.
Jan
Dec 29, 2016 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting turn to incorporate the elephant in the room of Boston/Cambridge--Harvard University. The burden of maintaining traditions can lead to "blindness" of the current reality. The attempts to step outside the traditions can show up the concrete thinking of those traditions. Wonderful twisty plot and Carlotta doing some self examination about her romantic relationships.
Jerry
Jul 20, 2010 Jerry rated it really liked it
Carlotta seems back to her old fun self in this good mystery...

We'll admit that the tall volleyball enthusiast, blues lover, and quirky lady PI (and part-time cabbie) Carlotta Carlyle is one of our favorite characters, having read all previous nine entries in this series. We enjoyed "Pockets" more than Barnes' just prior effort, "The Big Dig", as in that novel our familiar supporting cast were mysteriously all absent. Even Carlotta herself seemed a bit "off her game" though the story itself and
Lain
Dec 01, 2007 Lain rated it it was amazing
I am baffled as to why Linda Barnes is not at the top of every mystery lover's list. Her character, Carlotta Carlyle, is like a blend of Kinsey Millhone and Stephanie Plum -- she's got chutzpah when it's needed, but there are some soft edges to her, too. Barnes' stories are impeccably plotted with just enough twists and turns to keep you guessing until the end. And her writing is smooth and fresh.

"Deep Pockets," the tenth in the series, is as complete a mystery package as anyone could hope for.
Ezekial Borgia
Jun 07, 2015 Ezekial Borgia rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime
My first Carlyle novel.
I don't like the name "Carlotta." Don't ask me for a reasonable explanation why. I also don't like "Edna" or "Bertha".
I didn't like the setting: Cambridge, a university city, home of Harvard and MIT. I live in a university city. It kind of sucks. I read to escape from it.
Barnes isn't a bad writer. Carlotta is a solid character. The story just didn't grab me. I don't know if I'm going to give either one of them another chance. Perhaps if I can find a Carlyle story with a no
Maddy
Oct 27, 2014 Maddy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
PROTAGONIST: PI Carlotta Carlyle
SETTING: Boston
SERIES: #10 of 12
RATING: 3.0
WHY: Harvard professor Wilson Chaney is being blackmailed for his affair with a student. He hires PI Carlotta Carlyle to put an end to the situation. He isn't a client that she really trusts. I found myself bored by this book. Almost nothing happens; the narration is just a series of interviews that Carlotta conducts during the investigation. There is very little characterization. Carlotta has some angst about a new relat
Scilla
Jul 21, 2014 Scilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carlotta is hired by a black Harvard Professor who is being blackmailed for sleeping with a student. Then she finds out the student is dead - supposedly killing herself in a fire in the Harvard boat house. Delving deeper, Carlotta finds a young local man claimed at the death site that he was her fiance. Carlotta is not convinced of the suicide, and she keeps following. The professor has a research company which might be in line for making lots of money which turns out to be the main issue. While ...more
Barbara
May 29, 2009 Barbara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
What I like about Linda Barnes' heroine Carlotta Carlyle is her feistiness and her persistence, and of course, the books have a Boston setting which always adds interest for me. This particular title is on par with the others that I've read. A Harvard professor is being blackmailed because of an affair that he had with a student, no longer alive. Her death was presumed to be a suicide, quite a spectacular one in fact. As is often the case with mysteries, this one turns out to be quite convoluted ...more
Marleen
Nov 18, 2008 Marleen rated it liked it
Shelves: linda-barnes
I would give this book a 3 1/2 stars if it was possible. Although the plot of this mystery story was less appealing, less interesting to me personally (than her previous books), I can't deny that I admire, more and more, the integrity of character Carlotta Carlysle displays.
L. Barnes succeeds in giving Carlotta more depth, more colors, with each book. I can't wait to read the next Carlotta Carlysle mystery, only to read how her personal story evolves, and to watch what happens to the people tha
Bonnie Irwin
Aug 01, 2011 Bonnie Irwin rated it liked it
I was delighted to discover that I had missed one of the Carlotta Carlyle books and I could read it after my recent trip to Boston, where most of the novels are set.This installment has Carlotta investigating a blackmail case against a Harvard faculty member and delves a bit into the tensions between Boston and Cambridge. Some of the supporting cast have smaller roles that I like to see, but Deep Pockets was a good page-turner for the summer.
Gail
Aug 23, 2014 Gail rated it really liked it
Carlotta Carlyle is back and this time the mystery takes her to Harvard where a professor is being blackmailed. Roz, Paolina, Gloria & Sam round out the cast in this book. Missing Mooney. Hope he shows up in another book soon.

I liked this book because it had one mystery. No coincidental secondary story that ends up overlapping with the primary story.
Algot Runeman
Jan 20, 2015 Algot Runeman rated it liked it
Carlotta Carlisle is bright, tenacious and works harder for her clients than justified by the fee she gets paid. She is a bulldog when she gets a grip on a case, this time the blackmail of a Harvard professor.

The twists which follow that simple setup are well developed. The student over whom the professor is blackmailed is more a mystery than it initially appears.

Recommended
Ed
Aug 20, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#10 in the Carlotta Carlyle series. Carlotta is a Boston dwelling, volleyball playing, blues guitar playing part-time cab driver and P.I.

#10 - Carlotta Carlyle is hired to stop the blackmailing of a Harvard professor for sleeping with a student. The case becomes complicated when Carlotta finds that the student may have committed suicide in a suspicious fire.
Jill
Jul 21, 2016 Jill rated it liked it
This book was better than her last one, the Big Dig mostly because all the old familiar cast of characters are back. Carlotta is hired by a black Harvard professor who is being blackmailed for having slept with one of his students who has died. As usual, there are several twists and turns that she has to figure out
Carol Jean
Sep 15, 2013 Carol Jean rated it it was amazing
Well plotted with excellent characters and just the right plot twists! I can't think why I lost track of this author, but I see her newest doesn't feature Carlyle. I'm interested to see where she's going next!
Gabrielle
Mar 11, 2014 Gabrielle rated it liked it
This book is about Carlotta Carlyle who is hired to track down a blackmailer. She discovers along her journey that this task me be to much for even her. She gives it her best shot and she has to admit that she loves the thrill. The book was fast paced and I am very pleased with the ending.
Donna Murray
Jan 14, 2012 Donna Murray rated it liked it
This sort of mystery is bread-and-butter to me; I grew up reading them. While I enjoyed it, this one didn't stand out from the crowd for me. Still, I am a Linda Barnes fan and will seek out others.
Phyllis
May 12, 2013 Phyllis rated it really liked it
Although not quite as good as others in this series, this book is still a good read and not to be missed especially by fans of Carlotta Carlyle. Recommended.
Michelle
Sep 21, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Picked this book up by chance and found out it was a series. Now I need to go back and start from the beginning. Really like Carlotta!
Queue
Jan 01, 2008 Queue rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: diehard Carlotta Carlyle fans
Shelves: recently-read
Nowhere near as good as most of the books in this series. Apparently Linda Barnes' editor was on vacation. Worth it for completists; everyone else should probably give it a miss.
Karen
Sep 17, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
This is a new author I found at the bookstore. I enjoyed the book, it was well written and I look forward to reading others by this author
Jennifer Robb
Jan 17, 2016 Jennifer Robb rated it liked it
Carlotta Carlyle is hired by Harvard Professor Wilson Chaney to find out who is blackmailing him. Her investigation uncovers a plot to steal information on a new drug that Chaney was helping to test.
Noel Palatas
May 05, 2013 Noel Palatas rated it liked it
I sometimes find myself getting bored with long running mystery series but I have consistently enjoyed following the adventures of Carlotta Carlyle.
Linda
Sep 23, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-discussions
This was a fast read. I thought the novel was similiar to that of Janet Evanovich and that it would be well liked by all. The book discussion club did NOT agree. Few members liked the book.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
Carlotta has lots of gumption and the people who inhabit her life remain consistent and interesting over the series
Bea
Bea rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2013
lee
lee rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Suzanne Smith Santellanes
Suzanne Smith Santellanes rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2009
Nicola
Nicola rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2009
  • Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3)
  • The Cheshire Cat's Eye
  • The Alpine Nemesis (Emma Lord, #14)
  • The Nightspinners
  • A Woman's Eye
  • The Little Death (Louis Kincaid, #10)
  • Death in Dublin (Peter McGarr, #16)
  • The Legacy
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi ...more
More about Linda Barnes...

Carlotta Carlyle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • Coyote (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery, #3)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)
  • Hardware (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #6)
  • Cold Case (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #7)
  • Flashpoint (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #8)
  • The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9)
  • Heart of the World (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #11)