Heart of the World

Heart of the World (Carlotta Carlyle #11)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  416 ratings  ·  41 reviews
SHE'LL GO TO THE END OF THE EARTH
When private investigator Carlotta Carlyle learns that Paolina, the teenaged "little sister" she's been mentoring for years, has gone missing, she immediately starts combing the streets of Boston to find her. Paolina's indifferent mother, Marta, insists that the girl has run away…but as days pass without word, Carlotta suspects something si...more
Published May 29th 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of the World

Marleen
Oh how I missed the Carlotta Carlyle mysteries! (And the writing of Linda Barnes). Sometimes it just happens you forget all about a particular author you enjoy, and then after years, out of the blue you come across another book of theirs in a TO-READ stack and you remember how much you like them.
Carlotta Carlyle is definitely one of my all-time favorite female PI. She’s gutsy but not reckless, she strong but not heartless. She’s also very wise but never a know-it-all. There's so much more to her...more
Catherine Woodman
I've been a reader of Linda Barnes's Carlotta Carlyle mysteries from the git-go, finding them one of the more enjoyable series going. In this book, we get a chapter from the viewpoint of Carlotta's annoyingly teenage "little sister" Paolina. Then, we find out that since the last book, Carlotta has gotten together again with her mobster on/off again boyfriend Sam Gianelli (the twists and turns of this relation have been a definite yawn for me). Carlotta does indeed take over from Paolina, Sam jet...more
Kathleen Hagen
The Heart of the World, by Linda Barnes. B.
This book was self-produced by audible.com, and I didn't think it was very well-done. Audible is betterat providing books produced by others. That's where their expertise is.

In this Carlotta Carlisle series book, her adopted “little sister” disappears from her home in Boston. Carlotta is panicked looking for her and her mother seems not to care much, as usual. Carlotta believes that Paolina’s father, a notorious criminal in Colombia, has kidnapped his d...more
LJ
HEART OF THE WORLD (Priv. Inv-Carlotta Carlyle-Boston/Miami/Columbia, SA-Cont) – G
Barnes, Linda – 11th in series
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2006, US Hardcover – ISBN:0312332874

First Sentence: The small man wore white from the tip of his pointed hat to the rolled-up cuffs of his baggy trousers.

Boston PI Carlotta Carlysle has reunited with her on-again, off-again lover San Gianelli, much to the disapproval of her friend and former boss, Detective Captain Joseph Mooney. Sam has been drawn back deeper in...more
Therese
This is from the Carlotta Carlyle mystery series. I've read all the books in this series and enjoy them. I love Carlotta and her friends, Gloria, Roz, Sam, and Paolina. This book focuses mostly on Paolina, Carlotta's "little sister." Paolina is kidnapped, and Carlotta travels first to Miami and then to Columbia to try and find her. Carlotta contacts Paolina's father, Roldan, to help her find Paolina. As it turns out, Roldan is the reason Paolina is kidnapped and held for ransom.

I found this boo...more
Mia
I think I am officially sick of brazen female PIs who seem to stumble in and out of leads and successes with almost no ability to think or plan or research. It would be nice to see skill, creativity, or intelligence given as much attention as temperamentality. The resolution of the book was fine, and there was one plot twist that was actually surprising, but all and all, I think I'm going to quit this genre for a while. It's the sort of thing that might appeal to those looking for a vampire-free...more
Deirdre S.
I'd give this a 4.5, actually. A high-stakes plot, as Carlotta's little sister, Paolina, is kidnapped and taken to Colombia, the home of her birth father, a drug lord believed to have died in a plane crash. Is he really dead? Is he trying to reclaim his daughter, or has she been snatched to bring her father out of hiding? It will be interesting to see what effect the outcome of this book has on headstrong 15-year-old Paolina, not to mention on Carlotta's romantic relationships, which get a serio...more
Lain
A chick lit book that involves knitting, written by someone who can really tell a story -- what more could one want? I adored this novel by Claire LaZebnik. Her main characters -- a trio of very different, yet joined-at-the-hip, knitters -- are much more developed than in the normal chick lit book. LaZebnik tackles the topics of mental illness, love, letting go of your past, and grabbing on to your present, all set against the backdrop of LA and knitting. Fun, touching, funny, and real. LOVE IT.
Karen Dunaway
I like Linda Barnes. Interesting details, though the action in this one is sometimes discombobulated. Too much soupy emotion about the little not-sister, and unlikely alliances and loyalties. Otherwise, very good.
Barbara ★
3 stars due to the subject matter not the content!

I don't like books revolving around the South American drug trade or the mafia and this book had both. Without reading the flyleaf, I picked this up because I like the Carlotta Carlyle series.

Carlotta "little sister" Paolini is kidnapped and Carlotta chases clues from Boston to Miami and finally to Colombia. It's a really good book if you can get past all the drug references and the guerrilla fighters.
Holly Booms Walsh
Carlotta has come a long way from the emotionally-distant cabbie that we first met in the series. This is by far the most emotional and personal book in the series for Carlotta. The search for her missing "little sister" takes her to South America and into a lot of political and visceral danger. This book examines the bonds of fmaily - both biological and the family of friends we choose ourselves. I found it a bit unbelievable at times, but it was a decent read.
Katherine Clark
It has been many years since I read the Carlotta Carlyle series, and I think that is because I hate ending series, and I believe this is the last book. (I'll be checking SYKM right after I write this to see for sure.). What a great mystery series, and a terrific, perhaps last entry. I have to say that I really don't care that much for Paolina, but I do care for Carlotta. I think in the not too distant future I'll be rereading this series.
Krystal
I had forgotten all about this series when I picked this up...I read the first few to like 4 or 5 and then just stopped having an interest in them. This was a good story in the private eye Carlotta's life. Her "little sister" goes missing and she tracks her down in S.America. I forgot how much I enjoyed the characters, and will now reup the reading of the series ;)
Bess
Linda Barnes' Carlotta Carlyle books are fantastic - who wouldn't love a tough Boston ex-cop ex-cabbie who's sleeping with a hot mafioso? This installment, however, pales in comparison to prior books. Too much of a focus on the "little sister" story line, which has always bored me. Still, if you're a Barnes fan, it's worth reading.
Carol Jean
I hadn't read any of Linda Barnes' work for a while, and I'm glad I checked to see what I'd missed. Tightly plotted, logically presented, and with strong emotional bonds among the characters, this is an excellent series.
Cindy S
This time Carlotta Carlyle - PI and part time Boston cabbie - finds herself in Columbia searching for her
sister. I like the characters and the insight into Columbia was interesting. The story was a bit far fetched.
Kimz Zahour
Re-visiting this novel since I read it out of sequence.

***Picked up this mystery novel by chance and enjoyed it. The characters are animated and likeable and I look forward to reading more by this author.***
Diane
Another in the Carlotta Carlyle series. The six-foot red-headed former cop cab driver is a force to be reckoned with. Fans of Evanovich and Grafton will also like Barnes. Excellent summer reading.
Jim
Barnes pens a good story but this stretches the imagination with Carlyle traipsing through the jungles of south America. If you can overlook that it's an enjoyable read.
Barbara
This is a great series and Carlotta is a wonderful character. Smart, independent with a lot of heart and some very complex relationships. These books are worth reading.
JoDee
I had read the following book out of order so I knew the outcome of this one. There were moments of grace but alot of slow pace self reflection that made the story lag.
Andie1040
This time Carlotta leaves Boston to find her kidnapped "Little sister" and ends up in the midst of a drug war in Columbia. Great writer!
Hermien
I hadn't read any Carlotta Carlysle novel for a while and it was like visiting old friends. It is a bit slow in the beginning.
Jacque Sherbak
I am a diehard fan of Carolotta Carlyle and own every one of the series. This is by far the best of her escapades.
Carol Stanley-Snow
A book filled with twists, turns, excitement and every thing inbetween! Carlotta Carlyle is my hero!
Ellen
Based on this book I would be interested in reading other books by Linda Barnes featuring Carlotta
Leslie Jem
not the best book in the series; I prefer the Carlotta Carlyle mysteries that are set in Boston
Melissa
Not my favorite, but I get that she had to end the story of her foster daughter's father.
Jim Bremser
Sep 27, 2007 Jim Bremser rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers
Just another series I read and a good one or I wouldn't spend time reading them.
Bevjirwin
really like this series-just keeps getting better
  • The Ever-Running Man (Sharon McCone, #25)
  • Blanche Cleans Up
  • The Alpine Obituary (Emma Lord Mystery, #15)
  • Legally Dead
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8)
  • The PMS Outlaws (Elizabeth MacPherson, #9)
  • Tunnel Vision (V.I. Warshawski, #8)
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi...more
More about Linda Barnes...
A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1) The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9) The Perfect Ghost The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2) Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)