Start by marking “Heart of the World” as Want to Read:
Heart of the World

Heart of the World (Carlotta Carlyle #11)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  535 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
When private investigator Carlotta Carlyle is wakened by a late-night phone call, she discovers that her "little sister," Paolina, the child with whom she was paired years ago by a local mentoring program, is missing. Carlotta combs the Boston streets looking for Paolina, torn between anger at the thoughtless teenage runaway and anxiety that something has really happened t ...more
Published May 29th 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of the World

Marleen
Dec 19, 2011 Marleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linda-barnes
Oh how I missed the Carlotta Carlyle mysteries! (And the writing of Linda Barnes). Sometimes it just happens you forget all about a particular author you enjoy, and then after years, out of the blue you come across another book of theirs in a TO-READ stack and you remember how much you like them.
Carlotta Carlyle is definitely one of my all-time favorite female PI. She’s gutsy but not reckless, she strong but not heartless. She’s also very wise but never a know-it-all. There's so much more to her
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
I've been a reader of Linda Barnes's Carlotta Carlyle mysteries from the git-go, finding them one of the more enjoyable series going. In this book, we get a chapter from the viewpoint of Carlotta's annoyingly teenage "little sister" Paolina. Then, we find out that since the last book, Carlotta has gotten together again with her mobster on/off again boyfriend Sam Gianelli (the twists and turns of this relation have been a definite yawn for me). Carlotta does indeed take over from Paolina, Sam jet ...more
Kathleen Hagen
The Heart of the World, by Linda Barnes. B.
This book was self-produced by audible.com, and I didn't think it was very well-done. Audible is betterat providing books produced by others. That's where their expertise is.

In this Carlotta Carlisle series book, her adopted “little sister” disappears from her home in Boston. Carlotta is panicked looking for her and her mother seems not to care much, as usual. Carlotta believes that Paolina’s father, a notorious criminal in Colombia, has kidnapped his d
LJ
HEART OF THE WORLD (Priv. Inv-Carlotta Carlyle-Boston/Miami/Columbia, SA-Cont) – G
Barnes, Linda – 11th in series
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2006, US Hardcover – ISBN:0312332874

First Sentence: The small man wore white from the tip of his pointed hat to the rolled-up cuffs of his baggy trousers.

Boston PI Carlotta Carlysle has reunited with her on-again, off-again lover San Gianelli, much to the disapproval of her friend and former boss, Detective Captain Joseph Mooney. Sam has been drawn back deeper in
Ed
#11 in the Carlotta Carlyle series. Carlotta is a 6', red-headed, Boston P.I., volleyball player, part-time cab driver and half-hearted landlady. She is a "Big Sister" to Paolina, whose mother is hostile to Carlotta. The Paolina episodes are my least favorite of Carlotta's adventures.

Carlotta Carlyle is searching for her "little sister" Paolina. The trail leads to Colombia where her supposed drug lord father may still be alive.
Therese
This is from the Carlotta Carlyle mystery series. I've read all the books in this series and enjoy them. I love Carlotta and her friends, Gloria, Roz, Sam, and Paolina. This book focuses mostly on Paolina, Carlotta's "little sister." Paolina is kidnapped, and Carlotta travels first to Miami and then to Columbia to try and find her. Carlotta contacts Paolina's father, Roldan, to help her find Paolina. As it turns out, Roldan is the reason Paolina is kidnapped and held for ransom.

I found this boo
Olga Hebert
I had a hard time getting into this story--kept falling asleep as I read, generally not a good sign! As in the other Carlotta Carlyle novels, the characters are deeply flawed. Perhaps I was feeling the flaws more this time and wondering a bit about why i should even care about them. At some point though, I decided to just go with and interesting story.
Gail
Aug 26, 2014 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carlotta Carlyle in her most personal case yet. Gritty, gutsy and satisfying. The 2nd to last in the series is one of my favorites.
Scott Pare
May 16, 2016 Scott Pare rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I found it boring. I'm not sure if I grew out of Linda Barnes, or the same old, same old is just that...boring.
Emily Schnabl
She lost me with the mystical woo stuff in Colombia. Up until that point it was really gripping.
Mia
I think I am officially sick of brazen female PIs who seem to stumble in and out of leads and successes with almost no ability to think or plan or research. It would be nice to see skill, creativity, or intelligence given as much attention as temperamentality. The resolution of the book was fine, and there was one plot twist that was actually surprising, but all and all, I think I'm going to quit this genre for a while. It's the sort of thing that might appeal to those looking for a vampire-free ...more
Nancy Blades
good writing; bad story
Joan
Feb 20, 2015 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
best one yet....do I keep saying that?
Deirdre S.
Oct 28, 2011 Deirdre S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this a 4.5, actually. A high-stakes plot, as Carlotta's little sister, Paolina, is kidnapped and taken to Colombia, the home of her birth father, a drug lord believed to have died in a plane crash. Is he really dead? Is he trying to reclaim his daughter, or has she been snatched to bring her father out of hiding? It will be interesting to see what effect the outcome of this book has on headstrong 15-year-old Paolina, not to mention on Carlotta's romantic relationships, which get a serio ...more
Lain
Dec 01, 2007 Lain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A chick lit book that involves knitting, written by someone who can really tell a story -- what more could one want? I adored this novel by Claire LaZebnik. Her main characters -- a trio of very different, yet joined-at-the-hip, knitters -- are much more developed than in the normal chick lit book. LaZebnik tackles the topics of mental illness, love, letting go of your past, and grabbing on to your present, all set against the backdrop of LA and knitting. Fun, touching, funny, and real. LOVE IT.
Karen Dunaway
I like Linda Barnes. Interesting details, though the action in this one is sometimes discombobulated. Too much soupy emotion about the little not-sister, and unlikely alliances and loyalties. Otherwise, very good.
Barbara ★
Jul 16, 2015 Barbara ★ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
3 stars due to the subject matter not the content!

I don't like books revolving around the South American drug trade or the mafia and this book had both. Without reading the flyleaf, I picked this up because I like the Carlotta Carlyle series.

Carlotta "little sister" Paolini is kidnapped and Carlotta chases clues from Boston to Miami and finally to Colombia. It's a really good book if you can get past all the drug references and the guerrilla fighters.
Holly Booms Walsh
Carlotta has come a long way from the emotionally-distant cabbie that we first met in the series. This is by far the most emotional and personal book in the series for Carlotta. The search for her missing "little sister" takes her to South America and into a lot of political and visceral danger. This book examines the bonds of fmaily - both biological and the family of friends we choose ourselves. I found it a bit unbelievable at times, but it was a decent read.
Katherine Clark
Feb 22, 2013 Katherine Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been many years since I read the Carlotta Carlyle series, and I think that is because I hate ending series, and I believe this is the last book. (I'll be checking SYKM right after I write this to see for sure.). What a great mystery series, and a terrific, perhaps last entry. I have to say that I really don't care that much for Paolina, but I do care for Carlotta. I think in the not too distant future I'll be rereading this series.
Krystal
Dec 24, 2007 Krystal rated it liked it
I had forgotten all about this series when I picked this up...I read the first few to like 4 or 5 and then just stopped having an interest in them. This was a good story in the private eye Carlotta's life. Her "little sister" goes missing and she tracks her down in S.America. I forgot how much I enjoyed the characters, and will now reup the reading of the series ;)
Bess
May 08, 2008 Bess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Linda Barnes' Carlotta Carlyle books are fantastic - who wouldn't love a tough Boston ex-cop ex-cabbie who's sleeping with a hot mafioso? This installment, however, pales in comparison to prior books. Too much of a focus on the "little sister" story line, which has always bored me. Still, if you're a Barnes fan, it's worth reading.
Carol Jean
Aug 31, 2013 Carol Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read any of Linda Barnes' work for a while, and I'm glad I checked to see what I'd missed. Tightly plotted, logically presented, and with strong emotional bonds among the characters, this is an excellent series.
Cindy S
This time Carlotta Carlyle - PI and part time Boston cabbie - finds herself in Columbia searching for her
sister. I like the characters and the insight into Columbia was interesting. The story was a bit far fetched.
Kimz Zahour
Dec 05, 2010 Kimz Zahour rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-visiting this novel since I read it out of sequence.

***Picked up this mystery novel by chance and enjoyed it. The characters are animated and likeable and I look forward to reading more by this author.***
Diane
Jul 29, 2010 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another in the Carlotta Carlyle series. The six-foot red-headed former cop cab driver is a force to be reckoned with. Fans of Evanovich and Grafton will also like Barnes. Excellent summer reading.
Jim
Jul 26, 2008 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barnes pens a good story but this stretches the imagination with Carlyle traipsing through the jungles of south America. If you can overlook that it's an enjoyable read.
Barbara
Sep 12, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great series and Carlotta is a wonderful character. Smart, independent with a lot of heart and some very complex relationships. These books are worth reading.
JoDee
Oct 08, 2013 JoDee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read the following book out of order so I knew the outcome of this one. There were moments of grace but alot of slow pace self reflection that made the story lag.
Carol
Mar 04, 2016 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another of my go-to female PI series authors. I've read a lot of this series, but I don't remember which ones.
Andie1040
Nov 28, 2009 Andie1040 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This time Carlotta leaves Boston to find her kidnapped "Little sister" and ends up in the midst of a drug war in Columbia. Great writer!
  • The Ever-Running Man (Sharon McCone, #24)
  • Blanche Cleans Up
  • The Alpine Nemesis (Emma Lord, #14)
  • The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8)
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • The Wicked Flea (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #14)
  • Lie Still
  • Follow the Sharks (Brady Coyne, #3)
  • Good Luck Life: The Essential Guide to Chinese American Celebrations and Culture
  • Blue Lonesome
  • Zabelle
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi ...more
More about Linda Barnes...

Carlotta Carlyle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • Coyote (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery, #3)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)
  • Hardware (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #6)
  • Cold Case (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #7)
  • Flashpoint (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #8)
  • The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9)
  • Deep Pockets (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #10)