Double Love (Sweet Valley High, #1)

Double Love (Sweet Valley High #1)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  5,015 ratings  ·  368 reviews
Will Jessica steal Todd from Elizabeth?

Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield are identical twins at Sweet Valley High. They're both popular, smart, and gorgeous, but that's where the similarity ends. Elizabeth is friendly, outgoing, and sincere -- nothing like her snobbish and conniving twin. Jessica gets what she wants -- at school, with friends, and especially with boys.

This t...more
Mass Market Paperback, 182 pages
Published September 1st 1984 by Bantam Books (first published 1983)

Jessica
Nov 10, 2007 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: little girls with appropriate protective/educational influences in their young lives
"Francine Pascal," or whoever actually wrote these books, taught me how to read. Nancy Drew was my angel in first grade; by third, the Wakefield sisters were my guiding light, and if it weren't for them, I'd be television literate today. As it is, I cannot hold an informed conversation with members of my cohort about the Snorks or Family Ties, and I spend all my free time on a book-themed social networking site....

O, Jessica! O, Elizabeth! How unjust it seemed at the time that I must share my na...more
faeriemyst
SVH: WTF?

Cover Models: Jessica and Elizabeth

Page count: 182

Special Event: Some sorority thing.

Number of times "a hundred and thirty-seven" was mentioned: Two, plus five hundred and thirty-seven and seven hundred and thirty-seven. See below.

Mental Illness Winner of the Week: Jessica. Is there any surprise there?

Jessica's Bitchyness scale: ***** (out of five)

WTFery Meter: ****1/2 stars (out of five)

-------------------------

Quotes & Snarky comments:

What a peach:
"How can you be best friends wit
Heather
Feb 24, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle schoolers and higher
Recommended to Heather by: don't remember
I read a lot of these books, so this review goes for the entire series.

I found these books in middle school and fell in love with them. I hadn't been a big reader up to this point, but these books drew me in and wouldn't let me go. I read nonstop. I read during class when I was supposed to be learning. I read during dinner. I read in bed. I loved these books. I was convinced that when I had children I would have twin daughters and name them Elizabeth and Jessica. One of my friends bought all the...more
these books made me feel worse about myself than my parents, the media and every man i've ever known combined. i mean, talk about a self esteem body slam, these books damaged pretty much every lady i know in the 24-34 age range. I mean, some really fucked up shit...I think they even made fun of retarded people. Terrible.

But fuck it if I still don't want to be them. UGH THAT FRANCINE PASCAL IS GOOD!!!
Lara

Tries to steal Liz's
Crush. Liz cries a lot. Jess jumps
Into a Porsche with

A cheeseball wanna-
Be date rapist who takes her
To a bar (gasp!). Cop

Takes her home. She lets
The cop believe she's Eliz.
Much gossip ensues.

The whole school believes
This BS; not one soul stops
To think, hey, maybe

W...more
krisabelle
This book made me want to add a new shelf titled "Barfy". This was horrible! I thought I'd read a couple of Sweet Valley High books as a kid but realized it was the Sweet Valley Twins series after I started reading this. There were so many hilariously bad things to highlight! Here are a few of my favorites:

"I make it a habit to know where all the foxiest chicks in Sweet Valley live." Shudder...

"She was so beautiful and fragile at that moment, Steven thought, her brown eyes shining, her hair floa...more
Rachel Brand
I have a truly terrible confession to make. While I consider myself a Sweet Valley fan, have joined a LiveJournal fan club for the series and own the much-awaited sequel, I had never read 'Double Love' until yesterday. I read Sweet Valley books in the early 2000s, when most of the early books in the series were out-of-print or just not stocked at my local library. So as a result, when I graduated from the Babysitters Club on to the Sweet Valley series I ended up reading the horrible 90s add-ons,...more
lateme
The entire premise behind "Childhood Trauma" is to go back and re-read the books we grew up with. I, however, never actually read Sweet Valley High as a kid, which gave me the unique perspective of being able to read these for the first time as a(n) (almost completely) functioning adult.

Oh. My. God.

In short, Jessica Wakefield is a bitch. A really, really pretty bitch. Her sister, Elizabeth Wakefield is a doormat. A really, really pretty doormat.

In the first SVH book, Liz has fallen head over p...more
Jen
Okay, I've read all the original SVH books a hundred times, but I'll only add this one to my list for simplicities sake. What can I say, I think it's more nostalgia than anything, but these books have a special place in my heart. I actually still have about 12 of them and recently re-read then in the span of a few days. I remember the feeling of anticipation going into the book store to buy the next installment. I so wanted to be a Wakefield.

As cheesy as they were, I loved the twins and their fr...more
Angria
Aug 12, 2013 Angria rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I absolutely have no idea why I enjoyed reading SVH during my teen years. Reading it years later, I was bewildered by the superficial and super-dramatic yet unrealistic story plot. It is like finding out my high school crush turns out to be not charming anymore and that sinking feeling of having bad taste bugs me no end. It was not a bad-written book at any rate. The fact that I am still clinging to it after so many years is obviously for the nostalgia's sake. As to whether I am going to read th...more
Lindley Walter-smith
Sweet Valley was never again as Sweet Valley as in this book. Jessica was never again either so devious or so quick to change emotions as to suggest she has a serious personality disorder, Elizabeth was never so saintly or such an incredibly deadly doormat, Todd never again had anything approaching a personality. Liz is particularly awesome - she spend the entire book weeping over what a terrible person she is not to roll over and beg herself to trample on her quite quickly enough, although she'...more
Kim
Apr 07, 2008 Kim marked it as to-read
Sweet Valley! Home to perfect size-six California-gorgeous Wakefield twins Jessica (the sociopath and flirt) and Elizabeth (the writer and actually, a bit of a sociopath herself).

I loved reading these books as a youngster. They seemed so grown-up! And looking back on them now, they still seem grown-up. So many tragedies, everybody was always hardcore in love (without having sex), they dressed all mature and everything was drama, drama, drama. My goal is to get my hands on as many of these as I c...more
Milka
I won't write a proper review about this, because then I would probably have to go to things that are not so good about this one (the characters run into conclusions, the superficiality of the characters etc).

These books are a huge contributor to my love for books - I remember going to the library with one of my friends, picking up like 10 of these, and spending our sleepovers in silence, reading these books (I sound like the lamest child ever). I always remember identifying with Elizabeth to s...more
Nostalgia! I LOVED these books as a schoolgirl!!!! This series helped me become the avid reader I am today. My Mom or Dad would take me every couple weeks to buy one at the local B Dalton Booksellers at the mall once I had saved up enough of my allowance to get a new one.
Skylar Burris
Continuing my stroll down memory lane, I'm adding the first Sweet Valley High to my read list. I'm not going to go on to add the other twenty or so books in the series I'm semi-ashamed to have read. I think this was a 6th grade project of mine....
Phoebe Andamo
I was reading Sweet Valley Kids when I was little. All of it were hand me downs by the daughter of my mother's officemate. I didn't even see her or know her name (Wherever you are right now, thank you for giving me books when I was young).

The Sweet Valley High is still about the sun-colored hair identical twins; this series is the adult or older version of the SVK.

No matter how identical the Wakefield twins in appearance, their characters are far from each other. They're like day and night. Eli...more
Juliet
nov 30 2007 - More than 15 years on, I still want to strangle Jessica for being a manipulative, shallow little bitch while also backslapping Elizabeth for being such a pushover little marmy twin!

So here's my SV story.

I was completely addicted to these books. It started when I was either 8 or 9 when my dad bought me a SVT from the bookstore I spied in the bookstore. From then on until I was 14, I've read everything in SVT, SVH and SVU and I had the complete collections. I went on a holiday and...more
Anna  (Bananas!)
I'm preeetty sure I would find the twins insufferable now, but man I loved them back in the day. I can still recite the same ENDLESS descriptions of them that appeared in every single book - perfect (back then anyway) six 6 figure, blue-green eyes, sun-kissed blonde hair...So easy for an awkward teenage girl to relate to!

Todd and Enid were the most boring characters EVER created. I wanted to cry every time they had scene. Bruce, Lila, Olivia, and the twins were great for the most part.

I still l...more
Monica Johnson
I'm rating this book as I would have at age 13. A few key points to take into consideration: At age 13 I probably had the ugliest haircut you could ever imagine. A disturbing cross of Michael Jackson's early hair from the Jackson Five and Dorothy Hamel's pixie cut. I also was sporting a uni-brow, acne, and a mouth full of metal. Is there any doubt why a story about beautiful blond popular twins excited me to no end. How I yearned to live their teenaged life......(cue gagging sounds) I don't regr...more
Michelle
I considered tagging this as "historical fiction" but resisted. I was obsessed with Sweet Valley High in junior high, positively obsessed. I had every book and eagerly awaited each new one. This series definitely sparked my reading obsession. As such I just had to re-read this, the first in the series. I had a lot of fun revisiting the old characters, Jessica and Elizabeth of course but also the rest of them. Todd Wilkins, Bruce Patman, Enid Rollins, Cara Walker, Lila Fowler (remember her ultima...more
Annie
I have a love/hate relationship with the Sweet Valley High books. As an adult, I think they're really pretty awful, but they still entertain me and bring some major nostalgia. As a 10 year old, I loved them and totally thought the world past elementary school would be like Sweet Valley. I intended to go to high school, take classes like home ec and French, be the head cheerleader and editor of the newspaper, and go to five million dances. It didn't quite work out that way.

Basically, Double Love...more
Renee Cutchen
Oh my glob, tween-tastic memories. I read as many of the books in this series as I could get my hands on. Favorite of mine in those awkward years....
Hafeleni
Imagine how it's like having a twin sister? Double love by Francince Pascal is a realistic fiction book which talks two twins. Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield who have different personalities. Elizabeth the quiet twin to loves reading and works hard while there is Jessica the lazy, evil twin who loves shopping and boys. Jessica and Elizabeth like the same guy, Todd Wilkins. The evil twin Jessica wants to have him, and whatever Jessica wants, she gets it. Jessica does what she can to have him esp...more
Kim
Wanted to revisit a series I loved from my teen years, I can see why the books have been tweaked for re-release. Looking at things from today's perspective, the emphasis placed on being perfect, pretty, popular, and from the right part of town definitely sends the wrong messages. As does the stunts Jessica pulls when she is dishonest about many things (not to give anything away! lol). I know it's mostly dealing with stuff between the sisters, but in today's world the things in the book border on...more
Morgan
Oct 22, 2009 Morgan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
I'm not going to add every single Sweet Valley High book I've read, because I read about 100 of them! They used to have "special editions" that told the ancestry of the mom and the dad that I was obsessed with. For a class in college I re-read this first book and it was frightening how quickly and how much I remembered! And they're a little cheesier than I had remembered...
Angela Demott
Not embarrassed to reread this middle school favorite in anticipation of the movie-musical. Elizabeth is kind of push-over, but triumphs in the end, and who doesn't want to be gorgeous, popular Jessica? Complete with 80s fashion and pop culture references, enjoyed every bit of this completely unwell-written novel.
Sonya Huser
After reading Sweet Valley Confidential last year, I was excited to get back to basics. I love it. I didn't remember that Jessica has been after Todd since Day One. Complete with all the stuff you love, such as identical twin mistaken identity mishaps, SVH is my ultimate guilty pleasure.
Samantha
I'm pretty sure I read all (or most) of the Sweet Valley High books. They must have been entertaining at the time. I gave them a four because I don't want to think I wasted so much of my childhood reading trash, but then again... I would never pick one of them up now.
Jen Petro-Roy
Even with the updates (Jeep Wrangler, Casa del Sol instead of the Dairi Burger, Paris couture), it was amazing how flat this book felt when not actually *reading* it as a naive middle-schooler. And Jessica is, plain and simple, kind of a horrible person.
Toni
I LOVE READING SWEET VALLEY HIGH EDITIONS AS A TEEN. EVEN NOW IT BRINGS BACK SO MANY MEMORIES.
  • Dawn on the Coast (The Baby-Sitters Club, #23)
Francine Pascal (May 13, 1938— ) is an American author best known for creating the Sweet Valley series of novels. In 1982 she created the characters and the stories for the first six books and her agent, Amy Berkower of Writers House sold them to Bantam Books. Book number one is mostly written by Ms. Pascal. From then on she wrote the stories for every book ever published in the series. After the...more
More about Francine Pascal...
Best Friends (Sweet Valley Twins, #1) Fearless (Fearless, #1) Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later Secrets (Sweet Valley High, #2) Sam (Fearless, #2)