Start by marking “Double Love (Sweet Valley High, #1)” as Want to Read:
Double Love (Sweet Valley High, #1)

Double Love (Sweet Valley High #1)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  5,862 ratings  ·  404 reviews
Will Jessica steal Todd from Elizabeth?

Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield are identical twins at Sweet Valley High. They're both popular, smart, and gorgeous, but that's where the similarity ends. Elizabeth is friendly, outgoing, and sincere -- nothing like her snobbish and conniving twin. Jessica gets what she wants -- at school, with friends, and especially with boys.

This t
Mass Market Paperback, 182 pages
Published September 1st 1984 by Bantam Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Double Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Love

Jessica
Nov 10, 2007 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: little girls with appropriate protective/educational influences in their young lives
"Francine Pascal," or whoever actually wrote these books, taught me how to read. Nancy Drew was my angel in first grade; by third, the Wakefield sisters were my guiding light, and if it weren't for them, I'd be television literate today. As it is, I cannot hold an informed conversation with members of my cohort about the Snorks or Family Ties, and I spend all my free time on a book-themed social networking site....

O, Jessica! O, Elizabeth! How unjust it seemed at the time that I must share my na
faeriemyst
SVH: WTF?

Cover Models: Jessica and Elizabeth

Page count: 182

Special Event: Some sorority thing.

Number of times "a hundred and thirty-seven" was mentioned: Two, plus five hundred and thirty-seven and seven hundred and thirty-seven. See below.

Mental Illness Winner of the Week: Jessica. Is there any surprise there?

Jessica's Bitchyness scale: ***** (out of five)

WTFery Meter: ****1/2 stars (out of five)

-------------------------

Quotes & Snarky comments:

What a peach:
"How can you be best friends wi
these books made me feel worse about myself than my parents, the media and every man i've ever known combined. i mean, talk about a self esteem body slam, these books damaged pretty much every lady i know in the 24-34 age range. I mean, some really fucked up shit...I think they even made fun of retarded people. Terrible.

But fuck it if I still don't want to be them. UGH THAT FRANCINE PASCAL IS GOOD!!!
Lara

Tries to steal Liz's
Crush. Liz cries a lot. Jess jumps
Into a Porsche with

A cheeseball wanna-
Be date rapist who takes her
To a bar (gasp!). Cop

Takes her home. She lets
The cop believe she's Eliz.
Much gossip ensues.

The whole school believes
This BS; not one soul stops
To think, hey, maybe

W
Heather
Feb 24, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle schoolers and higher
Recommended to Heather by: don't remember
I read a lot of these books, so this review goes for the entire series.

I found these books in middle school and fell in love with them. I hadn't been a big reader up to this point, but these books drew me in and wouldn't let me go. I read nonstop. I read during class when I was supposed to be learning. I read during dinner. I read in bed. I loved these books. I was convinced that when I had children I would have twin daughters and name them Elizabeth and Jessica. One of my friends bought all the
Nostalgia! I LOVED these books as a schoolgirl!!!! This series helped me become the avid reader I am today. My Mom or Dad would take me every couple weeks to buy one at the local B Dalton Booksellers at the mall once I had saved up enough of my allowance to get a new one.
Kristen
This book made me want to add a new shelf titled "Barfy". This was horrible! I thought I'd read a couple of Sweet Valley High books as a kid but realized it was the Sweet Valley Twins series after I started reading this. There were so many hilariously bad things to highlight! Here are a few of my favorites:

"I make it a habit to know where all the foxiest chicks in Sweet Valley live." Shudder...

"She was so beautiful and fragile at that moment, Steven thought, her brown eyes shining, her hair floa
Rachel Brand
I have a truly terrible confession to make. While I consider myself a Sweet Valley fan, have joined a LiveJournal fan club for the series and own the much-awaited sequel, I had never read 'Double Love' until yesterday. I read Sweet Valley books in the early 2000s, when most of the early books in the series were out-of-print or just not stocked at my local library. So as a result, when I graduated from the Babysitters Club on to the Sweet Valley series I ended up reading the horrible 90s add-ons, ...more
Mari
The entire premise behind "Childhood Trauma" is to go back and re-read the books we grew up with. I, however, never actually read Sweet Valley High as a kid, which gave me the unique perspective of being able to read these for the first time as a(n) (almost completely) functioning adult.

Oh. My. God.

In short, Jessica Wakefield is a bitch. A really, really pretty bitch. Her sister, Elizabeth Wakefield is a doormat. A really, really pretty doormat.

In the first SVH book, Liz has fallen head over p
Jen
Okay, I've read all the original SVH books a hundred times, but I'll only add this one to my list for simplicities sake. What can I say, I think it's more nostalgia than anything, but these books have a special place in my heart. I actually still have about 12 of them and recently re-read then in the span of a few days. I remember the feeling of anticipation going into the book store to buy the next installment. I so wanted to be a Wakefield.

As cheesy as they were, I loved the twins and their fr
Angria
Aug 12, 2013 Angria rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I absolutely have no idea why I enjoyed reading SVH during my teen years. Reading it years later, I was bewildered by the superficial and super-dramatic yet unrealistic story plot. It is like finding out my high school crush turns out to be not charming anymore and that sinking feeling of having bad taste bugs me no end. It was not a bad-written book at any rate. The fact that I am still clinging to it after so many years is obviously for the nostalgia's sake. As to whether I am going to read th ...more
bmo211
Sep 15, 2014 bmo211 added it
I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading, as an adult, this pernicious, ridiculous book. I think I am going to have to keep moving through the series because 1) I cannot remember what Enid's deep dark secret was (to be revealed in the second book) and 2) this makes for great need-to-fall-asleep-or-else-laugh-trying reading material.
Lindley Walter-smith
Sweet Valley was never again as Sweet Valley as in this book. Jessica was never again either so devious or so quick to change emotions as to suggest she has a serious personality disorder, Elizabeth was never so saintly or such an incredibly deadly doormat, Todd never again had anything approaching a personality. Liz is particularly awesome - she spend the entire book weeping over what a terrible person she is not to roll over and beg herself to trample on her quite quickly enough, although she' ...more
Kim
Apr 07, 2008 Kim marked it as to-read
Sweet Valley! Home to perfect size-six California-gorgeous Wakefield twins Jessica (the sociopath and flirt) and Elizabeth (the writer and actually, a bit of a sociopath herself).

I loved reading these books as a youngster. They seemed so grown-up! And looking back on them now, they still seem grown-up. So many tragedies, everybody was always hardcore in love (without having sex), they dressed all mature and everything was drama, drama, drama. My goal is to get my hands on as many of these as I c
Mia Claire
When I was kid I used to read SV Kids and SV Twins, the Sweet Valley version for the younger readers. I spent hours reading those books together with the Baby-sitters Club series by Ann M. Martin.

Now I tried to read this SVH book and I found it really horrible. Jessica Wakefield is an insufferable bitch who would do anything to get whatever she want (and also insanely stupid) and Elizabeth is total martyr.

That girl needs to get a life

This book proliferates the socially-constructed thin ideal image of women with Jessica in
Milka
I won't write a proper review about this, because then I would probably have to go to things that are not so good about this one (the characters run into conclusions, the superficiality of the characters etc).

These books are a huge contributor to my love for books - I remember going to the library with one of my friends, picking up like 10 of these, and spending our sleepovers in silence, reading these books (I sound like the lamest child ever). I always remember identifying with Elizabeth to s
Skylar Burris
Continuing my stroll down memory lane, I'm adding the first Sweet Valley High to my read list. I'm not going to go on to add the other twenty or so books in the series I'm semi-ashamed to have read. I think this was a 6th grade project of mine....
Doris Ware
I read this series of books when they first came out a long time ago I decided to read these books again just for fun and for a quick read. this book was still cute and fun. I read it on my kindle.
Kristilyn
4 stars for nostalgia ... Obviously compared to the YA we have now, these books can't compare, but they do have a special place in my heart. Love the memories!
Phoebe Andamo
I was reading Sweet Valley Kids when I was little. All of it were hand me downs by the daughter of my mother's officemate. I didn't even see her or know her name (Wherever you are right now, thank you for giving me books when I was young).

The Sweet Valley High is still about the sun-colored hair identical twins; this series is the adult or older version of the SVK.

No matter how identical the Wakefield twins in appearance, their characters are far from each other. They're like day and night. Eli
Juliet
nov 30 2007 - More than 15 years on, I still want to strangle Jessica for being a manipulative, shallow little bitch while also backslapping Elizabeth for being such a pushover little marmy twin!

So here's my SV story.

I was completely addicted to these books. It started when I was either 8 or 9 when my dad bought me a SVT from the bookstore I spied in the bookstore. From then on until I was 14, I've read everything in SVT, SVH and SVU and I had the complete collections. I went on a holiday and
Anna  (Bananas!)
I'm preeetty sure I would find the twins insufferable now, but man I loved them back in the day. I can still recite the same ENDLESS descriptions of them that appeared in every single book - perfect (back then anyway) six 6 figure, blue-green eyes, sun-kissed blonde hair...So easy for an awkward teenage girl to relate to!

Todd and Enid were the most boring characters EVER created. I wanted to cry every time they had scene. Bruce, Lila, Olivia, and the twins were great for the most part.

I still l
Rochelle Reed
Ah, the Wakefield twins. I read over a hundred SVH books when I was actually in Jr High, many many years ago. I remember going to the library every week or so during the summers and getting another 8 or 10 books to devour. SVH was undoubtedly in that pile, somewhere. Because of the Wakefield's, I have had a lifelong obsession with wanting to own a Fiat. I never even knew what one looked like, but it sounded exotic and fast. LOL. I may need to revisit these in the future and see if they were as f ...more
Monica Johnson
I'm rating this book as I would have at age 13. A few key points to take into consideration: At age 13 I probably had the ugliest haircut you could ever imagine. A disturbing cross of Michael Jackson's early hair from the Jackson Five and Dorothy Hamel's pixie cut. I also was sporting a uni-brow, acne, and a mouth full of metal. Is there any doubt why a story about beautiful blond popular twins excited me to no end. How I yearned to live their teenaged life......(cue gagging sounds) I don't regr ...more
Michelle
I considered tagging this as "historical fiction" but resisted. I was obsessed with Sweet Valley High in junior high, positively obsessed. I had every book and eagerly awaited each new one. This series definitely sparked my reading obsession. As such I just had to re-read this, the first in the series. I had a lot of fun revisiting the old characters, Jessica and Elizabeth of course but also the rest of them. Todd Wilkins, Bruce Patman, Enid Rollins, Cara Walker, Lila Fowler (remember her ultima ...more
Scatterbooker
This series was another big favourite of mine growing up. Some awful writing at times but I got so much enjoyment from reading these.
Annie
I have a love/hate relationship with the Sweet Valley High books. As an adult, I think they're really pretty awful, but they still entertain me and bring some major nostalgia. As a 10 year old, I loved them and totally thought the world past elementary school would be like Sweet Valley. I intended to go to high school, take classes like home ec and French, be the head cheerleader and editor of the newspaper, and go to five million dances. It didn't quite work out that way.

Basically, Double Love
Lisa
Yes, I liked it. But I was also like 13 years old. Don't judge me.
Mya
This was the first time I'd read this and being an adult it made me shake my head at how "highschool" it was.. Not a bad read, had I read it as a teen I probably would have enjoyed it. :)
Honey Kae
Teenage drama is annoyingly annoying. haha!
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
Francine Pascal (May 13, 1938— ) is an American author best known for creating the Sweet Valley series of novels. In 1982 she created the characters and the stories for the first six books and her agent, Amy Berkower of Writers House sold them to Bantam Books. Book number one is mostly written by Ms. Pascal. From then on she wrote the stories for every book ever published in the series. After the ...more
More about Francine Pascal...

Sweet Valley High (1 - 10 of 159 books)
  • Secrets (Sweet Valley High, #2)
  • Playing with Fire (Sweet Valley High, #3)
  • Sweet Valley High: Three Novels
  • Power Play (Sweet Valley High, #4)
  • All Night Long (Sweet Valley High, #5)
  • Dangerous Love (Sweet Valley High, #6)
  • Dear Sister (Sweet Valley High, #7)
  • Sweet Valley High Collection: All Night Long, Dangerous Love, Dear Sister (Sweet Valley High #5, #6, #7)
  • Heart Breaker (Sweet Valley High, #8)
  • Racing Hearts (Sweet Valley High, #9)
Best Friends (Sweet Valley Twins, #1) Fearless (Fearless, #1) Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later Secrets (Sweet Valley High, #2) Sam (Fearless, #2)

“After all, she told herself, if Todd preferred Jessica—and that certainly was how it looked—she would not stand in the way. She’d do the decent thing. Die.” 2 likes
“Where’s Mom? I can’t wait to tell her all about this.” “She’s going to be late. An appointment, I think.” “Again?” Jessica pouted. “That makes three nights in a row! I thought mothers were supposed to stay home and fix dinner once in a while!” 0 likes