Start by marking “The Wit & Wisdom of Oscar Wilde” as Want to Read:
The Wit & Wisdom of Oscar Wilde

The Wit & Wisdom of Oscar Wilde

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  853 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Wilde on Sincerity: " A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal." Nearly a century after his death, the wit of Oscar Wilde remains as fresh and barbed as ever. This collection of his works, letters, reviews, anecdotes and repartee is ample proof of this iconoclast's enduring place in the world of arts and letters.
Published November 23rd 1999 by Gramercy Books (first published January 1st 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Wit & Wisdom of Oscar Wilde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wit & Wisdom of Oscar Wilde

PGR Nair

The Wild Wit Of Oscar Wilde

More than a century after his death, Oscar Wilde still intrigues us. This poet, novelist, playwright, and essayist was also his era's leading aphorist. George Bernard Shaw called him "incomparably the greatest talker of his time -- perhaps of all time." The personality of Wilde as a consummate conversationalist was admired by everyone who encountered him. The smooth flowing utterance, sedate and self-possessed, oracular in tone, whimsical in substance, carried on with
Felisberto Barros
Com a leitura deste livro, compreende-se a vastidão de temas que este escritor, Oscar Wilde,tão aclamado, envolvia no seu trabalho, integrando toda a filosofia advinda desse mesmo trabalho na sua vida e vice-versa. Com muitas ideias iluminadas, outras também pouco racionais e mais moralistas, sente-se bem o génio que lemos.

Um único apontamento negativo a este livro é a repetição excessiva de citações para uma obra tão curta, de tão poucas páginas. O editor parece ter forçado a divisão de citaçõ
Some of my absolute favourites are.....

"Either those curtains go or I do"

"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally"

"A true friend stabs you in the front"

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much"

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"

i may not always agree with his statements, but i'll be damned if he isn't the wittiest man i've ever read.
This is my guide to life.
Ryan Stiller
For all of you quote-alcholics, this is the book for you. With quotes upon quotes from all of his novels, you will dive into this book whole heartly. With a subject by subject notion, this book is divided into subjects such as (women, men, politics, parents, smoking) etc. Fun book, quick, read, for all of you who love to quote authors.
A wonderful collection of some of the best aphorisms ever spoken from one of the wittiest men who ever lived. I can't get enough of Oscar's quotations.
Oscar Wilde is always my inspiration. He must have been witty, funny and wise back then. And I will re-read this again, and again :))
More than the messages that some of the quotations convey, is the genius behind their structure that appeals me.
Oscar is the quintessential wit-clever, biting, and wise. His wit can never be over-rated. A must.
Gamal Hennessy
A short and sweet sample of one of my favorite authors. I'll definitely be reading this again.
Brittany bought this for me! Best present ever.
I miss no one so much as I miss Oscar Wilde....I would rather have him back now than almost anyone I have ever met. I have known more heroic souls and some deeper souls; souls more keenly alive to the ideals of duty and generosity; but I have known no more charming, no more quickening, no more delightful spirit....
~Frank Harris, Wilde biographer

I love quotes and I love Oscar Wilde. So what could be better than The Wit & Humor of Oscar Wilde collected and edited by Alan Redman? Not much. The
Julie Rylie
After reading The Picture of Dorian Gray it would only make sense to continue with some more Wilde.

This is a book about Wilde's aphorisms divided by topics. Needless to say I underlined nearly the whole and when I have sometime I will totally come here and write the quoted down.

After the shallowness and disgust for women I saw in his preview book I read, this was delightful to see another complete face of Wilde. A more sensitive human being. He was quite repulsed by poverty and considered poor
Mordechai Housman
Feb 17, 2015 Mordechai Housman rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I wouldn't
The first two sections of this little book are full of mysoginistic sayings of Wilde's, and I was less than impressed, and rather turned off, in fact. And it toook me soome time before I could get past that to enjoy some of his truly good sayings.

There were some tha made me smile, even a few that made me chuckle, but Wilde was no Mark Twain, I'll tell you that.

This was pretty humorous. Sometimes, when you take a quote out of context, the humor is lost. Also, the book repeated quotes a couple times.

Other than that, I liked it. Who doesn't find Oscar Wilde humorous? Everyone does, whether they know it or not. Quotes and one-liners are tossed around all the time that no one knows came from Wilde, but they enjoy it anyway.

I find it incredibly amusing that he was the one who said, 'Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future', because churches in my
I've never read any of his work but these quotes are very witty and makes you want to pick something of his up.
Kathy Crow
Reveals not only the wittiness of Oscar Wilde but the deep humanity underlying that wit--his wisdom.
As I stated in my review of Mark Twain's Wit and Wisdom from the same publisher, I tend to collect quotes and commentary to zip up papers and conversation. Oscar Wilde is one of the few people who can zing out quotes on various topics with the same zeal as Mark Twain in my humble opinion. If you are looking for a collection that provides wit and humor, I'd start with Twain's, but I would then jump to this collection as it holds its own and provides insights, humor, and some biting social comment ...more
I liked this collection of Oscar Wilde quotes well enough, but a number of them may have been funnier or more meaningful in the context of his plays and stories. Some favorites from this collection were:

"Experience is the name every one gives their mistakes."

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

"Moods don't last. It is their chief charm."
Mar 24, 2008 Jacqueline rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Oscar Wilde fans
Shelves: humor, quotes
This is a fun little collection for those who have a special place in their hearts for the irreverant and arrogant teachings of Oscar Wilde. In this slim volume is contained the majority (if not all) of his most famous quotes on such subjects as romance, sincerity, science, and even life itself.

Taking a few of these to heart will mean that you can lead a particularly dandy life.
Christy Austen
This is a book filled with quotes from various Oscar Wilde novels and plays. It did not amaze me so I gave it to my sister who has a huge crush on him. She went BONKERS.

I think I'm not that much into quote books. They feel kind of, ugh dislocated?
Good, small, collection of Wilde's wits. Much lighter than my other 1200+ pages of Wilde collection.

I do believe what Wilde said about him being so cleaver than he didn't understand himself most of the time either, LOL!
Peter Rogers
I love Oscar Wilde. He is one of my favorite writers. This was a nice collection of quotes. I wish the book was longer. Oscar Wilde is very quotable.
Bobbi Martens
Wilde is always amusing. Lots of out-of-context, lots of stuff by characters in his novels, which, obviously, don't necessarily portray the author's PoV.
The only thing better than reading Oscar Wilde is being able to whip out a perfectly-timed Wilde witticism in the middle of a heated repartee.
Taken in small doses Oscar Wilde is witty and funny. If read from end to end the witticisms in this book become cynical snark.
There's wit and even some wisdom here, but it's like a little appetizer tray of Oscar Wilde. Leaves you wanting the main course.
  • The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain
  • Unnatural Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #6)
  • Lewis Carroll: A Biography
  • The Secret Life Of Oscar Wilde
  • Shakespeare's Insults: Educating Your Wit
  • John Keats: The Major Works: Including Endymion, the Odes and Selected Letters
  • Invisible Lives: The Erasure of Transsexual and Transgendered People
  • They Call Me Naughty Lola: Personal Ads from the London Review of Books
  • Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death
  • Bobbed Hair and Bathtub Gin: Writers Running Wild in the Twenties
  • Fox
Ralph Keyes is an author, speaker and teacher. His 15 books deal with topics ranging from time pressure to human height. Keyes’s bestseller Is There Life After High School? was made into a Broadway musical that is still produced in this country and abroad. Since being published in 1995 his book The Courage to Write has become a standard work among aspiring writers in particular.

Keyes’s recent boo
More about Ralph Keyes...
The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear Euphemania: Our Love Affair with Euphemisms I Love it When You Talk Retro: Hoochie Coochie, Double Whammy, Drop a Dime, and the Forgotten Origins of American Speech The Writer's Book of Hope: Getting from Frustration to Publication Is there life after high school?

“An egg is always an adventure; it may be different each time” 0 likes