Start by marking “The Wit & Wisdom of Oscar Wilde” as Want to Read:
The Wit & Wisdom of Oscar Wilde

The Wit & Wisdom of Oscar Wilde

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,026 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Wilde on Sincerity: " A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal." Nearly a century after his death, the wit of Oscar Wilde remains as fresh and barbed as ever. This collection of his works, letters, reviews, anecdotes and repartee is ample proof of this iconoclast's enduring place in the world of arts and letters.
Published November 23rd 1999 by Gramercy Books (first published January 1st 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Wit & Wisdom of Oscar Wilde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wit & Wisdom of Oscar Wilde

Nikoleta
Feb 23, 2016 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore Oscar Wilde, he had the most brilliant mind of his age! I love this book... all this beautiful quotes gathered in one place! Love it!

“Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.”
Oscar Wilde
Ammara Abid
May 28, 2016 Ammara Abid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist__ that is all.
Irrespective of the fact, whether I agree with all his thoughts or not. But I love his writing style and
He's the wittiest writer of all times. :')
PGR Nair
Mar 01, 2015 PGR Nair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Wild Wit Of Oscar Wilde

More than a century after his death, Oscar Wilde still intrigues us. This poet, novelist, playwright, and essayist was also his era's leading aphorist. George Bernard Shaw called him "incomparably the greatest talker of his time -- perhaps of all time." The personality of Wilde as a consummate conversationalist was admired by everyone who encountered him. The smooth flowing utterance, sedate and self-possessed, oracular in tone, whimsical in substance, carried on with
John
Some of my absolute favourites are.....

"Either those curtains go or I do"

"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally"

"A true friend stabs you in the front"

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much"

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"

Felisberto
Mar 06, 2013 Felisberto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Com a leitura deste livro, compreende-se a vastidão de temas que este escritor, Oscar Wilde,tão aclamado, envolvia no seu trabalho, integrando toda a filosofia advinda desse mesmo trabalho na sua vida e vice-versa. Com muitas ideias iluminadas, outras também pouco racionais e mais moralistas, sente-se bem o génio que lemos.

Um único apontamento negativo a este livro é a repetição excessiva de citações para uma obra tão curta, de tão poucas páginas. O editor parece ter forçado a divisão de citaçõ
Sep 19, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i may not always agree with his statements, but i'll be damned if he isn't the wittiest man i've ever read.
Donna
Jul 08, 2016 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute genius! I love this man! His extremely wise words miraculously work in today's societies. I will always re-read this handy little book. Granted, not all of his quotes are in this book, but a whole lot of them are. I do adore books, and love to keep them crease-free and in pristine condition, but perhaps with this one I will highlight the quotes I simply adore the most. And ones that I feel are relevant in my life. Oscar Wilde; I'm so glad I have discovered your genius, and only regre ...more
Kimberly
May 04, 2011 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my guide to life.
Ryan Stiller
Jan 29, 2013 Ryan Stiller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For all of you quote-alcholics, this is the book for you. With quotes upon quotes from all of his novels, you will dive into this book whole heartly. With a subject by subject notion, this book is divided into subjects such as (women, men, politics, parents, smoking) etc. Fun book, quick, read, for all of you who love to quote authors.
Ellen
Aug 22, 2011 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of some of the best aphorisms ever spoken from one of the wittiest men who ever lived. I can't get enough of Oscar's quotations.
Huy
Jan 16, 2013 Huy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oscar Wilde is always my inspiration. He must have been witty, funny and wise back then. And I will re-read this again, and again :))
Bruno
Jul 09, 2008 Bruno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than the messages that some of the quotations convey, is the genius behind their structure that appeals me.
Tara
Feb 02, 2008 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oscar is the quintessential wit-clever, biting, and wise. His wit can never be over-rated. A must.
Gamal Hennessy
Nov 05, 2012 Gamal Hennessy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short and sweet sample of one of my favorite authors. I'll definitely be reading this again.
Aubrey
Sep 17, 2009 Aubrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brittany bought this for me! Best present ever.
Bev
Dec 29, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I miss no one so much as I miss Oscar Wilde....I would rather have him back now than almost anyone I have ever met. I have known more heroic souls and some deeper souls; souls more keenly alive to the ideals of duty and generosity; but I have known no more charming, no more quickening, no more delightful spirit....
~Frank Harris, Wilde biographer

I love quotes and I love Oscar Wilde. So what could be better than The Wit & Humor of Oscar Wilde collected and edited by Alan Redman? Not much. The
Julie Rylie
Sep 15, 2013 Julie Rylie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading The Picture of Dorian Gray it would only make sense to continue with some more Wilde.

This is a book about Wilde's aphorisms divided by topics. Needless to say I underlined nearly the whole and when I have sometime I will totally come here and write the quoted down.

After the shallowness and disgust for women I saw in his preview book I read, this was delightful to see another complete face of Wilde. A more sensitive human being. He was quite repulsed by poverty and considered poor
Mordechai Housman
Feb 17, 2015 Mordechai Housman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I wouldn't
The first two sections of this little book are full of mysoginistic sayings of Wilde's, and I was less than impressed, and rather turned off, in fact. And it toook me soome time before I could get past that to enjoy some of his truly good sayings.

There were some tha made me smile, even a few that made me chuckle, but Wilde was no Mark Twain, I'll tell you that.

Wendy
Nov 21, 2015 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, humor
This was pretty humorous. Sometimes, when you take a quote out of context, the humor is lost. Also, the book repeated quotes a couple times.

Other than that, I liked it. Who doesn't find Oscar Wilde humorous? Everyone does, whether they know it or not. Quotes and one-liners are tossed around all the time that no one knows came from Wilde, but they enjoy it anyway.

I find it incredibly amusing that he was the one who said, 'Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future', because churches in my
T. Kozumplik
Aug 27, 2016 T. Kozumplik rated it it was amazing
Great collection of witty and often profound quotes from the rakish Epicurean Wilde. This is a nice resource collection to work either as writing or speaking prompts for students. The short, varied collection is great to have at a sidetable to entertain visiting guests'
G.C. Neff
Jul 06, 2015 G.C. Neff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Oscar Wilde's Wit and Wisdom: A Book of Quotations to be entertaining. I was so impressed by the quotes from Wilde's The Soul Of Man Under Socialism & Selected Critical Prose that I ordered the book.

I found it intriguing that someone who died in 1900 could so well describe the ills of society today. I would have rather read more of such quotes, but at least I can now read his critical prose to get a lot more of his ideas.
John Delgado
Dec 27, 2014 John Delgado rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read any of his work but these quotes are very witty and makes you want to pick something of his up.
Kathy Crow
Feb 04, 2015 Kathy Crow rated it really liked it
Reveals not only the wittiness of Oscar Wilde but the deep humanity underlying that wit--his wisdom.
Karen
Aug 09, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Fry made me want to have Oscar Wilde at my fingertips. For $1.99 this will do!!!
James
Sep 06, 2012 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I stated in my review of Mark Twain's Wit and Wisdom from the same publisher, I tend to collect quotes and commentary to zip up papers and conversation. Oscar Wilde is one of the few people who can zing out quotes on various topics with the same zeal as Mark Twain in my humble opinion. If you are looking for a collection that provides wit and humor, I'd start with Twain's, but I would then jump to this collection as it holds its own and provides insights, humor, and some biting social comment ...more
Scott
Jul 01, 2016 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS
Joe Reap
Feb 21, 2016 Joe Reap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, it is lazy to read a book of quotations when I should have read some of his work in high school. However, his complete works is on my list and my laziness does not detract from his brilliance. As with many Victorian-era authors, he nails the complexity of human relationships with pithy exactness.
Lesley Looper
Mar 24, 2010 Lesley Looper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I liked this collection of Oscar Wilde quotes well enough, but a number of them may have been funnier or more meaningful in the context of his plays and stories. Some favorites from this collection were:

"Experience is the name every one gives their mistakes."

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

"Moods don't last. It is their chief charm."
Jacqueline
Mar 24, 2008 Jacqueline rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Oscar Wilde fans
Shelves: humor, quotes
This is a fun little collection for those who have a special place in their hearts for the irreverant and arrogant teachings of Oscar Wilde. In this slim volume is contained the majority (if not all) of his most famous quotes on such subjects as romance, sincerity, science, and even life itself.

Taking a few of these to heart will mean that you can lead a particularly dandy life.
  • The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain
  • The Secret Life Of Oscar Wilde
  • Lewis Carroll: A Biography
  • In the Arms of Morpheus: The Tragic History of Laudanum, Morphine, and Patent Medicines
  • Shakespeare's Insults: Educating Your Wit
  • John Keats: The Major Works: Including Endymion, the Odes and Selected Letters
  • The Nest Home Design Handbook
  • The Oxford Companion to English Literature
  • Last Post: The Final Word from Our First World War Soldiers
  • Hamlet, Macbeth, King Lear: Three Tragedies
  • Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death
Ralph Keyes is an author, speaker and teacher. His 15 books deal with topics ranging from time pressure to human height. Keyes’s bestseller Is There Life After High School? was made into a Broadway musical that is still produced in this country and abroad. Since being published in 1995 his book The Courage to Write has become a standard work among aspiring writers in particular.

Keyes’s recent boo
More about Ralph Keyes...

“I rely on you to misrepresent me.” 2 likes