Start by marking “The Art of Michael Whelan” as Want to Read:
The Art of Michael Whelan

The Art of Michael Whelan

4.7 of 5 stars 4.70  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Award-winning artist Whelan has illustrated the work of almost every major author in speculative fiction. Here are featured all the artist's major recent paintings, as well as a series of 25 never-before-seen works produced especially for this book. Over 100 full-color reproductions.
Published October 1st 1993 by Bantam (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Michael Whelan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Michael Whelan

Rich Stoehr
A beautiful presentation of a very talented artist. The prints are gorgeously reproduced on large, heavy pages, and Whelan's commentary on each piece is sharp and illuminating. Though I enjoy (and often look at) every section in this collection, I especially liked the section near the end that featured his personal non-commercial work. The painting called "Wing" never fails to take my breath away, and Whelan's description of his thought process in creating it is touching.

Michael Whelan is an art...more
Not to judge a book by its cover, but as I would browse the sci-fi/fantasy section, for a time, I could count on a book with a Michael Whelan cover to point me to a good read. At present, that is a less dependable technique, what with the change in styles of covers tending towards photography and photoshop, but that's a moot point regarding this treasury of Michael Whelan's art.

I love his attention to detail, without taking an absolutely literal description from the pages of the book for which h...more
Scott
Aug 22, 2013 Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
The largest Whelan monograph to date, and I don't think there is any overlap with the previous two, amazingly. This volume features work both old and new, and for the first time, a great deal of personal (non-commissioned) pieces. We don't get the final book cover designs this time, but we do get sketches and preliminary art, and Whelan again discusses each piece. There are also a few interviews. My favorite Whelan work, "Periwinkle" (for The Changeling Sea), is contained herein.
Viridian5
The art is still beautiful, but I miss the way Michael Whelan's Works of Wonder showed what the final cover looked like.

I find his commissioned artwork more interesting than most of his original work, also shown here. For me, he tends to recycle his symbols and elements too much. Though I've noticed that in the years since this book was published some of the art he originally did only for himself became covers for some books, mostly anthologies.
Craig
Whelan's been long recognized as one of the greatest genre illustrators ever, and this big, beautiful book showcases some of his best known work, and a lot of his private paintings as well. There are a lot of comments and explanations and interviews included which give a lot of insight into the meanings behind the paintings and the processes used to achieve them. It's a really lovely and fascinating volume.
Erinn
My mom rocks for finding this at Goodwill and getting it for me. There was a time that my book collection looked like this guy's portfolio. The first time I paged through the beautifully printed pages I realized just how many books I bought because I loved his art work. In high school I wanted to illustrate book covers just like he did.
Mel
I am a BIG fan of Michael Whelan. His attention to detail and love of colour creates images that are as memorable as the stories they are selected to represent. I am fortunate to have a number of bookmarks to accompany various novels as well and I treasure each and every one of them.
Robin Martinez
Gorgeous book detailing the genius of one of the best fantasy artists alive. Illustrations are faithfully reproduced and the text gives great insight into Whelan's art and process.
Edalin
Wish it had just a bit more info about the paintings, but I really enjoyed the interviews and stories about the featured paintings...
Peter
Some instantly recognizable artwork in here, but some stuff I wasn't familiar with. Whelan never fails to impress me.
Jon
The other book I have of Michael Whelan's artwork from the 90s. He is simply amazing.
Jessica
i am really looking to own a copy of this book
A.
A. added it
Sep 02, 2014
Deireyv
Deireyv marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Heida Sigurdardottir
Heida Sigurdardottir marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Pierre-louis Gourdoux
Pierre-louis Gourdoux marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
--------
-------- marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Shaundra7210
Shaundra7210 marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Victor Cosby
Victor Cosby marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Wes
Wes marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Valentin Eni
Valentin Eni marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Michael Whelan is one of the world’s premier painters of imaginative realism. For more than 35 years he has created book and album covers for authors and musicians like Isaac Asimov, Stephen King, Ray Bradbury, the Jacksons and MeatLoaf. His clients have included every major U.S. book publisher, the National Geographic Society, CBS Records, and the Franklin Mint.

Since 1995, he has also pursued a f...more
More about Michael Whelan...
Michael Whelan's Works of Wonder Wonderworks: Science Fiction and Fantasy Art Something in My Eye The Other Country  - A Father's Journey with Autism Dragons & Mystics 2002 Calendar: The Art of Michael Whelan