Start by marking “Texas Sunrise: Two Novels of the Texas Republic” as Want to Read:
Texas Sunrise: Two Novels of the Texas Republic

Texas Sunrise: Two Novels of the Texas Republic

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In Texas Sunrise, Elmer Kelton brings together two novels that tell the story of the Texas Revolution as seen by the brothers Thomas and Joshua Buckalew who emigrate to Texas at a time when the Mexican-controlled province welcomes settlers.

In Massacre at Goliad,tensions mount between Mexican authorities and American newcomers, and revolution is in the air, something Thomas
Published October 28th 2008 by Forge Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Texas Sunrise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Texas Sunrise

Dec 16, 2009 Rosemary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: for reading beyond the history books
Recommended to Rosemary by: from the San Antonio library
This double book by Elmer Kelton parallels that of THE REBELS which told of the first and second battles of the Alamo. Goliad is mentioned in THE REBELS, but in the first book of TEXAS SUNRISE.....MASSACRE AT GOLIAD, it is given in great detail. Then the second book AFTER THE BUGLES, (starting after the battle of San Jacinto, which won Texas independence) tells of picking up the pieces, to put Texas back together again.
Oct 14, 2009 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dad
Saw this in my NJ library and of course had to read it. I was surprised how much I liked it given how much I disliked Texas History in school, but this was a wonderful novel based during the days of the Texas revolution from Mexico.
Mary L.
This book gave a lot of insight into the Texas/Mexican conflict and the history of Texas becoming a State. I love reading Elmer Kelton and also any good historical novel.
Nov 11, 2008 Tere marked it as to-read
I met Mr. Kelton on 11/11/08 while at a book signing. I bought this for my Dad's Christmas gift and had it personalized for him.
Now, I need to read it.
Lee Price
So enjoyed this story of Texas. Elmer Kelton brings it up close and personal. If you love Texas history you will enjoy this book.
Dan Panke
Always enjoyable to read an Elmer Kelton novel. Texas Sunrise deals with racism of the Mexican and the settling of Texas.
Ha! I knew he'd like Elmer Kelton and he did. Dad seemed surprised by how much he liked it.
Good historical novel on the Texas war of independence.
i love Texas history and all Elmer Kelton books
bill alexander
bill alexander is currently reading it
Oct 25, 2015
Ben Brown
Ben Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Kayla marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Dathan marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Brenda marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Jedi added it
Jan 28, 2015
Tate Shannon
Tate Shannon marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Elmer Kelton (1926-2009) was award-winning author of more than forty novels, including The Time It Never Rained, Other Men’s Horses, Texas Standoff and Hard Trail to Follow. He grew up on a ranch near Crane, Texas, and earned a journalism degree from the University of Texas. His first novel, Hot Iron, was published in 1956. Among his awards have been seven Spurs from Western Writers of America and ...more
More about Elmer Kelton...