Start by marking “A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man: Text, Criticism & Notes (Viking Critical Library)” as Want to Read:

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man portrays Stephen Dedalus’s Dublin childhood and youth, providing an oblique self-portrait of the young James Joyce. At its center are questions of origin and source, authority and authorship, and the relationship of an artist to his family, culture, and race. Exuberantly inventive, this coming-of-age story is a tour de force of style ...more
paper, 576 pages
Published January 1st 1977 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

This is one of my absolute favorite books. Personally, it means a lot to me. I related to Stephen.

This lets Joyce do pretty much whatever he wanted for the rest of his career. Dubliners was his proving ground, establishing himself, and Portrait blows the doors open and takes it to an entirely new level.

Just experimental enough not to alienate the reader wholesale...and the triumphant experiments to come are only just getting started.

Everyone should read this before they turn, maybe, 25.

He naile
Aug 05, 2013 Ariane marked it as did-not-finish
I've decided to stop torturing myself with this one. Thirty pages into it and I couldn't care less. Maybe I'll pick it up again someday (probably not).
I am glad that I read the edition of this book that I did, which also contained criticism, notes, and related texts. Not only was the literary criticism very well selected, edited, and arranged, it also genuinely added to the overall experience of the book to be able to see how reactions to it have evolved over the years.

The notes/glossary, though somewhat limited, also helped a great deal. It give definitions of particularly Irish turn-of-the-century idioms and colloquialisms, translates the so
Aug 27, 2009 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: novels
Joyce’s novel is both a bildungsroman (novel of education) and a kunstlerroman (novel of the development of an artist). It tells of the childhood and young adulthood of Stephen Dedalus, a Dubliner who is educated by the Jesuits, but later decides to become a literary artist. Although the language of the novel is not as difficult as that in Ulysses, there are some experiments in style. For instance, the novel begins with sentences that are very simple in their construction, reflecting the conscio ...more
I probably read this book for the first time almost 15 years ago, and I've been an avowed Joycean ever since. This is Joyce's first novel, and, unbelievably, it only gets harder from here. This novel's adaptation of the German Bildungsroman and Kunstlerroman genres (I'm thinking, here, of the way that the narrative language develops and matures with its subject's consciousness), its incorporation of structures of unconscious repetition (which one would never find in those aforementioned genres), ...more
Aug 30, 2007 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dubliners
I had two problems with this book - One is that He goes on and on about hell in the middle part. The other is that the references to politics and nationalism were probably understandable to contemporaries but I would need some historical footnotes to figure them out. But the writing is beautiful, and it seems to render the world before the eyes of the protagonist as poetry, as if being a poet to him was an inevitable way to describe the world. I'm certainly glad I read it.
Oh, by the way, the cri
Nov 15, 2007 Zepp rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: danish schoolboy satchels
This is a review of the edition, not the novel- it's pretty hard to find a good critical edition of Portrait, and this is about as good as it gets. The notes are at their most helpful when they explain who this Parnell guy is and what he has to do with pink hairbrushes. But the rhythm of the novel is one of my favorite aspects, and it gets lost if you read all the notes concurrently with the text- there are too many notes, many of which are useless. Good sturdy edition.
Juli Anna Herndon
Not as good as Ulysses, but more accessible, if that's a trade-off. This book I think is a precursor the whole genre of 20th century fiction about young men who feel like outsiders (Catcher in the Rye, Perks, etc.). Still, Joyce is a master. My favourite Modernist, I think--maybe except Proust, but I haven't read him yet in quantity. This volume is essential--the notes are wonderful.
It makes you work, but...the language and style! I really geeked out on this book. My seniors read it and it was great to talk to them at this point in the year about approaches to the particular challenges of a brilliant book that feels unreadable. They are bound to come across that in college.
Another book I haven't read cover-to-cover since high school. Happily straightforward compared to Ulysses, but with enough early SOC to make it enjoyable. The sections on SD's decline into sin and repentance seemed much more important this time, and his subtle sneers clearer.
I actually enjoyed this quite a bit more than I thought I would. It's brilliantly written, layered and profound. I think the way I've been asked to analyze this (or rather, to not analyze this...) is what's had me so frustrated.
Jul 18, 2012 Risa marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
"A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man: Text, Criticism, and Notes (Viking Critical Library) by James Joyce (1977)"
What did I think? I think I'm too dumb for James Joyce. Alas!
Vintage Joyce...always an experience to remember.
you read this edition for the critical essays.
Jan 03, 2008 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Irish lit. readers; fiction readers, postcolonial lit. readers
Great novel.
Oct 16, 2015
Aee.2014 marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Stefan Dimov
Stefan Dimov marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Nino Katsarava
Nino Katsarava marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Jim Wood
Jim Wood marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
  • Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc, Vol 1
  • A Reader's Guide to Contemporary Literary Theory
  • Ulysses And Us: The Art Of Everyday Living
  • A Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake: James Joyce's Masterwork Revealed
  • The Various Lives of Keats and Chapman: Including The Brother
  • Intertextuality (New Critical Idiom)
  • Gothicka: Vampire Heroes, Human Gods, and the New Supernatural
  • Edmund Spenser's Poetry
  • Ulysses Annotated
  • The Signifying Monkey: A Theory of African-American Literary Criticism
  • James Joyce
  • White Noise: Text and Criticism
  • The Writings of Jonathan Swift: Authoritative Texts, Backgrounds, Criticism (Norton Critical Edition)
  • Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama
  • Selected Plays
  • Krapp's Last Tape and Other Dramatic Pieces
  • All the King's Men: Restored Edition
  • The Broken Estate: Essays on Literature and Belief (Modern Library Paperbacks)

James Joyce (1882-1941), Irish novelist, noted for his experimental use of language in such works as Ulysses (1922) and Finnegans Wake (1939). Joyce's technical innovations in the art of the novel include an extensive use of interior monologue; he used a complex network of s
More about James Joyce...