Start by marking “Complete Works of Oscar Wilde” as Want to Read:
Complete Works of Oscar Wilde
Preview

Complete Works of Oscar Wilde (The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde #1)

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  10,718 ratings  ·  214 reviews
In print since 1948, this is a single-volume collection of Oscar Wilde's texts. It contains his only novel, The Portrait of Dorian Gray as well as his plays, stories, poems, essays and letters. Illustrated with many photographs, the book includes introductions to each section by Wilde's grandon, Merlin Holoand, Owen Dudley Edwards, Declan Kibertd and Terence Brown. A compr ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 1246 pages
Published August 4th 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1927)

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtDubliners by James JoyceDracula by Bram StokerThe Collected Poems by W.B. Yeats
Best Irish Literature
15th out of 419 books — 478 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëHamlet by William ShakespeareHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
I Will Read Absolutely Anything S/He Writes
9th out of 626 books — 252 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachelandthecity
Wilde has such a gift with phrasing, I always think about how parallel he seems to me with Ryan Adams. So many accolades so early, then such a fever to tear him apart.

Here's a few quotes:

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.

A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.

Anyone
Tosh
So essential it's not even funny. Not a better writer in the English language. Also if one can have a hero in this world, I think Wilde can fit that bill. He maybe the first writer that I realize was a rebel of sorts. My first actual rock n' roll figure that I looked up to.

I started reading Wilde as a young teenager - due to the fact that he seemed to be the most glamourous figure in literature. Most of my high school friends were into the Beats or such toss as Jonathan Bach, but Wilde was my (a
Spencer
What can I say? You either love Wilde or you don't understand him, and I love him.
Rosa Ramôa

"A moda é uma variação tão intolerável do horror que tem de ser mudada de seis em seis meses" (Oscar Wilde)
Shawn
Okay, as recently, I'm mopping up some titles from "To Read Short Fiction Lists", genre and lit, and as I'm in the W's....

I had 3 pieces from Wilde on the list - I've previously read a *bit* of him (about 10 stories, mostly thanks to Dedalus Books Decadence series) but, for example, haven't tackled an obvious must-read like The Picture of Dorian Grey.

"Lord Arthur Savile's Crime" is probably the most "Wildean" thing here, and in it one can see Wilde's black humor and some origins of a writer like
Courtney
21) The Duchess of Padua
22) Vera,
El
Jul 19, 2012 El is currently reading it
This review is a work-in-progress. I'm reading this whole collection, but will be reviewing the individual reads separately as I go along, so don't be all confused by the otherwise seemingly random posting of Wilde stories and plays.

I am going to skip reading The Picture of Dorian Gray because I read that just a few years ago. My review is behind that link; knock yourself out.

Individual reviews will be linked here as I go along, just to really annoy everyone each time it pops up in their updates
Barbara
Oscar Wilde is fabulous, and clever, and impossibly witty and Oscar Wilde knows it. Do yourself a favor, don't read this cover to cover - a little bit of Wilde goes a long way!

Random thoughts:
I was disappointed to find that the popular culture image of Dorian Grey didn't quite live up to the actual written depiction of him. Apparently the Victorian's were easily horrified, and I found some of the examples of his debauchery to be head scratchers. Especially his tendency to collect jewels and tap
Kris Larson
I actually hate having all my Wilde in one volume. When I lived in my studio apartment and found myself alone of an evening, I would sometimes make tea and cucumber sandwiches and curl up to re-read The Importance of Being Earnest. But now I've got this great big book which refuses to be curled up with -- I should never have sold my individual Earnest. Still, it's nice to have access to Wilde-ian works I probably wouldn't own otherwise.
Leila M
All of his work is so truthful and blunt. I started off collecting a few works here and there and ended up having to get the complete works.
Jacob
Psst! Hey, Maureen, look what I found!
Silver
Wilde has such a gift with writing. He is fabulous, Honest and clever.
this book is a collection of Wilde’s writings containing his only novel, The Portrait of Dorian Gray, as well as his plays, stories, poems, essays and letters.

So many favorite quotes :

“Why, anybody can have common sense, provided that they have no imagination”

“It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.”

"What is a cynic?…A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothin
Mizumi
I took a while to think about it, and I've come to the conclusion I'm definitely going to need to reread this volume. I'm giving four stars for now, though I might get back to that and give it five.

So, I read everything in this volume, from The Picture of Dorian Gray all the way to De Profundis, the final entry in the book. At first I kind of wondered about it, since it's not the final writing by Wilde exactly, but it made a lot of sense to put it in last. Wilde himself ties in almost everything
Shanna
When I first read this I wasn't necessarily a fan of Oscar Wilde. I was just curious about his work and I realized the easiest and fastest way to read it all was just to buy the book and call it a day.

Overall a very interesting and relatively quick read. Interesting in the sense that you're getting everything. You get background history, the fairy tales, plays, novel, essays. Quick in the fact that most everything in this book you can just breeze through w
DalalK.
Plays:
The Importance of Being Earnest ***** Favourites
An Ideal Husband ***** Favourites (Blackmail)
Lady Windermere's Fan **
A Woman of No Importance ***** Favourites (Woman's Guilt)
The Sainte Courtisane *
A Florentine Tragedy **
Stories:
Lord Arthur Savile's Crime ***
The Happy Prince ***** Favourites (A very touching story about poverty & social unjustice)
The Young King ***** Favourites (Moral: sympathy & compassion)
The Star-Child ***** Favourites (Heart breaking story. Moral: karma pay
Kristen
Oscar Wilde is always so delightful, although what disturbing children's stories! I certainly would never read those stories to a child, with the exception of 'The Remarkable Rocket'. My favorite short stories were 'Lord Arthur Savile's Crime' and 'The Canterville Ghost'.

Reading all the plays back to back does cause them to blend together just a bit, he had a habit of reusing his favorite lines over and over again. Overall I would say I enjoyed 'Vera' (The Nihilists) the most, which was the onl
Mariam Abood
Lovely affordable book and I adore Oscar Wilde.

Check out my review of:
The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Importance of Being Earnest https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Vera https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Salome https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

The Happy Prince https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
outraged
A must-have for every lover of literature. Oscar Wilde is a writer like no other. His words speak directly to one's heart, their soul, their subconsciousness.. He changed the way I understood writing and reading entirely, made me fall in love with his every word and get lost in his ideas, his thoughts, his world.

I was 13 or 14 when I first picked up a paperback copy of his complete works on a whim. I remember feeling a little doubtful for buying such an expensive book from an author I had never
Cecilia
I love Oscar Wilde. His tales have been part of my life since I was a child. In my teenager years his plays were the "shelter" when I felt sad. His work is wonderful, but, in this special edition, you can find everything he wrote, even the poems (which are not so good as his other works to me). I have a 1968 edition of this Collins Classics with beautiful illustrations and a great introduction by Vyvyan Holland. Beautiful edition!
Eve
I love his fairy tales and stories. I love Dorian Gray, and I love his playfulness when it comes to questions of morality.
It was therefore so sad to read his 'De Profundis'. Although written under extreme conditions, and therefore miraculously coherent, it revealed such a bitterness and moral disapproval on the part of the author. Did it diminish the magnitude of his genius? I'm not sure...
Amanda
Oct 29, 2007 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Wow - why had a not read Oscar Wilde before? He immediately jumped to the top of my list of favorite authors...and easily at that! I love how an author who wrote over 100 years ago can make me laugh out loud; I love that his jabs at Americans are still relevant. So far the Canterville Ghost is my favorite, and I am currently reading the Picture of Dorian Gray.
Jessica Walters
Oscar Wilde is interesting because he can produce very effective satire without being just another misanthropist.
Nissa Rachmidwiati
I just got this book in my mailbox earlier today. I bought this frpm an online second-hand book store so it was pretty cheap. And it's very well worth every rupiah I spent. I was freakishly happy once I got this on my hand that I found myself wrapping my owned-books with plastic-cover for like 2 hours, it was started with me wrapping this holy Oscar Wilde's book, then after I finished I just went upstairs to get myself my pile of books then I started the work. For a clumsy person like me, coveri ...more
Ana Paula
Raven
Dammit, I love me some Wilde. But little did I know how much until I read it all. The fiction, plays and poetry were of course superb, but I was also blown away by his letters (Most notably De Profundis) and journalistic work.
So many favorite quotes, I could fill an anthology, but these were my highlights in no particular order:
“Love is not fashionable any more, the poets have killed it. They wrote so much about it that nobody believed them, and I am not surprised”

“Why, anybody can have common
Simon Bendle
I read De Profundis. If you haven’t already, you should too. It’s stunning - an incredibly moving, profound and beautifully written piece of prose. Wilde, languishing alone in Reading Gaol, approaching the end of his two-year sentence for gross indecency, is writing to Lord Alfred Douglas, the vain, empty-headed, upper-crust young man whose outrageous, selfish behaviour brought him to ruin. In his letter, Wilde talks of the misery and shame he has endured since his conviction and imprisonment. H ...more
Adam Davis
Having already read Dickens and Shakespeare, it was with great expectation that I started working my way through this, the collection of the great Oscar Wildes work.

Unfortunately, the first book, The Picture of Dorian Gray, which forms the centrepiece of this collection, does not get the collection off to a good start. The main character is completely unlikeable, which makes it hard to feel any sympathy, or indeed interest in his story. The plot itself lumbers along at a glacial pace, and the en
Mark Colenutt
Oscar Wilde who taunted Victorian society by making mockery of their social mores and they loved it. What English speaking nation does not have a play of his running or films based on his works airing?

From school productions to Hollywood his popularity has no age or cultural bounds. He brought the power of the classical world into the 19th century theatre with his constant references to its mythology and thereby reminded us continually of our European origins. Only his wit surpassed his learning
Angela
If you follow my blog, you've already seen most of this. Just a friendly warning so you don't have to read the entirety of this massive review I'm about to compile.

I don't even know where to begin. I simply can't discuss everything, which greatly saddens me. But Oscar Wilde is beautiful. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with the language, to laugh at its oddities and cry—yes, I cried—when he expressed pain.

The Picture of Dorian Gray
Dorian Gray has his portrait painted by his friend, Ba
Jess Scott
I should write another review for Edgar Allan Poe sometime (I frequently refer to both Poe and Wilde as "The Man")...but first, Oscar Wilde's anthology.

Wow, I've probably still more than half of this collection to get through, though I've read "De Profundis" (Mr. Wilde's 80-page letter to Bosie, written while he was in prison) several times. Over, and over, from beginning to end, and for some reason, it gets better and better with each read.

As Oscar Wilde states himself (is there a more brillian
  • The Complete Poetry and Prose
  • Oscar Wilde: A Certain Genius
  • Poems and Ballads and Atalanta in Calydon
  • Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror and Fantasy
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...

The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde (4 books)
  • The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde: Volume IV: Criticism: Historical Criticism, Intentions, The Soul of Man: 4
  • The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde: Volume V, Plays I: The Duchess of Padua/Salome: Drame En Un Acte/Salome: Tragedy in One Act
  • The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde: Volume VII: Journalism II
The Picture of Dorian Gray The Importance of Being Earnest The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays   An Ideal Husband The Canterville Ghost

“To be really mediæval one should have no body. To be really modern one should have no soul. To be really Greek one should have no clothes.” 73 likes
“Time is a waste of money.” 36 likes