Start by marking “Complete Works of Oscar Wilde” as Want to Read:
Complete Works of Oscar Wilde

Complete Works of Oscar Wilde

4.45  ·  Rating Details ·  17,604 Ratings  ·  314 Reviews
In print since 1948, this is a single-volume collection of Oscar Wilde's texts. It contains his only novel, The Portrait of Dorian Gray as well as his plays, stories, poems, essays and letters. Illustrated with many photographs, the book includes introductions to each section by Wilde's grandon, Merlin Holoand, Owen Dudley Edwards, Declan Kibertd and Terence Brown. A compr ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 1246 pages
Published August 4th 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1900)

Rachelandthecity
Nov 04, 2007 Rachelandthecity rated it it was amazing
Wilde has such a gift with phrasing, I always think about how parallel he seems to me with Ryan Adams. So many accolades so early, then such a fever to tear him apart.

Here's a few quotes:

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.

A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.

Anyone
Tosh
Sep 22, 2007 Tosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So essential it's not even funny. Not a better writer in the English language. Also if one can have a hero in this world, I think Wilde can fit that bill. He maybe the first writer that I realize was a rebel of sorts. My first actual rock n' roll figure that I looked up to.

I started reading Wilde as a young teenager - due to the fact that he seemed to be the most glamourous figure in literature. Most of my high school friends were into the Beats or such toss as Jonathan Bach, but Wilde was my (a
Spencer
What can I say? You either love Wilde or you don't understand him, and I love him.
Wiebke (1book1review)
This was just perfect. What else could I say? The writing and wit of Oscar Wilde is just admirable and hilarious. The adaptations on this audiobook made them come to live and it was so much fun listening I often forgot I was not alone but felt like part of the audience in the theater.

I recommend this to anyone who has wanted to give Oscar Wilde a go.
Fernando
Mar 18, 2015 Fernando rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
El genio literario indiscutido de Oscar Wilde brilla en cada uno de los cuentos que componen este volúmen. Libro altamente recomendable para todo aquel lector que admire su obra o para quien quiera conocerla.
Rosa Ramôa
Oct 19, 2014 Rosa Ramôa rated it really liked it

"A moda é uma variação tão intolerável do horror que tem de ser mudada de seis em seis meses" (Oscar Wilde)
Courtney
22) Vera,
Barbara
Feb 09, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Oscar Wilde is fabulous, and clever, and impossibly witty and Oscar Wilde knows it. Do yourself a favor, don't read this cover to cover - a little bit of Wilde goes a long way!

Random thoughts:
I was disappointed to find that the popular culture image of Dorian Grey didn't quite live up to the actual written depiction of him. Apparently the Victorian's were easily horrified, and I found some of the examples of his debauchery to be head scratchers. Especially his tendency to collect jewels and tap
Amena
Jun 22, 2015 Amena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant writing. Real, deep themes which one can relate to the present life. A fantastic ending. Definitely worth every single one of those 5 stars.
Shawn
Okay, as recently, I'm mopping up some titles from "To Read Short Fiction Lists", genre and lit, and as I'm in the W's....

I had 3 pieces from Wilde on the list - I've previously read a *bit* of him (about 10 stories, mostly thanks to Dedalus Books Decadence series) but, for example, haven't tackled an obvious must-read like The Picture of Dorian Grey.

"Lord Arthur Savile's Crime" is probably the most "Wildean" thing here, and in it one can see Wilde's black humor and some origins of a writer like
El
Jul 03, 2012 El is currently reading it
This review is a work-in-progress. I'm reading this whole collection, but will be reviewing the individual reads separately as I go along, so don't be all confused by the otherwise seemingly random posting of Wilde stories and plays.

I am going to skip reading The Picture of Dorian Gray because I read that just a few years ago. My review is behind that link; knock yourself out.

Individual reviews will be linked here as I go along, just to really annoy everyone each time it pops up in their updates
Cecilia
Feb 17, 2009 Cecilia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oscar-wilde
I love Oscar Wilde. His tales have been part of my life since I was a child. In my teenager years his plays were the "shelter" when I felt sad. His work is wonderful, but, in this special edition, you can find everything he wrote, even the poems (which are not so good as his other works to me). I have a 1968 edition of this Collins Classics with beautiful illustrations and a great introduction by Vyvyan Holland. Beautiful edition!
Leila M
Jun 09, 2013 Leila M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
All of his work is so truthful and blunt. I started off collecting a few works here and there and ended up having to get the complete works.
DalalK.
Plays:
The Importance of Being Earnest ***** Favourites
An Ideal Husband ***** Favourites (Blackmail)
Lady Windermere's Fan **
A Woman of No Importance ***** Favourites (Woman's Guilt)
The Sainte Courtisane *
A Florentine Tragedy **
Stories:
Lord Arthur Savile's Crime ***
The Happy Prince ***** Favourites (A very touching story about poverty & social unjustice)
The Young King ***** Favourites (Moral: sympathy & compassion)
The Star-Child ***** Favourites (Heart breaking story. Moral: karma pay
outraged
Sep 13, 2012 outraged rated it it was amazing
A must-have for every lover of literature. Oscar Wilde is a writer like no other. His words speak directly to one's heart, their soul, their subconsciousness.. He changed the way I understood writing and reading entirely, made me fall in love with his every word and get lost in his ideas, his thoughts, his world.

I was 13 or 14 when I first picked up a paperback copy of his complete works on a whim. I remember feeling a little doubtful for buying such an expensive book from an author I had never
Kris Larson
Jun 15, 2009 Kris Larson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, plays, classic
I actually hate having all my Wilde in one volume. When I lived in my studio apartment and found myself alone of an evening, I would sometimes make tea and cucumber sandwiches and curl up to re-read The Importance of Being Earnest. But now I've got this great big book which refuses to be curled up with -- I should never have sold my individual Earnest. Still, it's nice to have access to Wilde-ian works I probably wouldn't own otherwise.
Amanda
Oct 29, 2007 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Wow - why had a not read Oscar Wilde before? He immediately jumped to the top of my list of favorite authors...and easily at that! I love how an author who wrote over 100 years ago can make me laugh out loud; I love that his jabs at Americans are still relevant. So far the Canterville Ghost is my favorite, and I am currently reading the Picture of Dorian Gray.
Geeta
May 05, 2014 Geeta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
listening to audio book - (1)A woman of no importance (2)An ideal husband (3)Lady Windermere's fan (4)The importance of being Earnest (5)The picture of Dorian Gray

Oscar Wilde writing always wins best rating. Witty, entertaining...and the audio book was very well read.
Chris
Sep 26, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I received this book as a gift from my dad when I was about 13 years old.
It's the special centenary edition.
It was love at first sight.
It's filled with my notes, my dried flowers (teen me was oh so romantic) and a piece of my soul.
Kristena
Jun 21, 2016 Kristena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent full-cast audio performances of An Ideal Husband, A Woman of No Importance, Lady Windermere's Fan, and The Importance of Being Earnest. I skipped the dramatization of The Picture of Dorian Gray, though.
Jacob
Psst! Hey, Maureen, look what I found!
Mizumi
I took a while to think about it, and I've come to the conclusion I'm definitely going to need to reread this volume. I'm giving four stars for now, though I might get back to that and give it five.

So, I read everything in this volume, from The Picture of Dorian Gray all the way to De Profundis, the final entry in the book. At first I kind of wondered about it, since it's not the final writing by Wilde exactly, but it made a lot of sense to put it in last. Wilde himself ties in almost everything
Shanna
When I first read this I wasn't necessarily a fan of Oscar Wilde. I was just curious about his work and I realized the easiest and fastest way to read it all was just to buy the book and call it a day.

Overall a very interesting and relatively quick read. Interesting in the sense of getting everything. Background history, the fairy tales, plays, novel, essays are all accounted for, and quick to read in the fact of most everything in this book can be breezed
☽ Su ☾
Wilde has such a gift with writing. He is fabulous, Honest and clever.
this book is a collection of Wilde’s writings containing his only novel, The Portrait of Dorian Gray, as well as his plays, stories, poems, essays and letters.

So many favorite quotes :

“Why, anybody can have common sense, provided that they have no imagination”

“It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.”

"What is a cynic?…A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothin
Kristen
Oscar Wilde is always so delightful, although what disturbing children's stories! I certainly would never read those stories to a child, with the exception of 'The Remarkable Rocket'. My favorite short stories were 'Lord Arthur Savile's Crime' and 'The Canterville Ghost'.

Reading all the plays back to back does cause them to blend together just a bit, he had a habit of reusing his favorite lines over and over again. Overall I would say I enjoyed 'Vera' (The Nihilists) the most, which was the onl
Holly
May 10, 2012 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Firat off, I want to come out and say that I skipped over a few of the essays and The Importance of Being Earnest in this book. I skipped over the play because it's the three act version and I'd rather read the whole thing. I skipped over a few of the essays not because they weren't good and insightful, but because I was having a hard time rapping my head around them. I hope to be able to one day go back to them, but for now I'm done with this book.

I will say that I really enjoyed the stories an
Mariam Abood
Lovely affordable book and I adore Oscar Wilde.

Check out my review of:
The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Importance of Being Earnest https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Vera https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Salome https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

The Happy Prince https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
angie haney
May 10, 2007 angie haney rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: By all means YES!
This is THE book. Oscar Wilde writes with so much heart. His stories just ooze heart. Of all of his writings, Dorian Grey is probably my least favorite, and it is a masterpiece! The Happy Prince will tear your heart out. It is the most beautiful story I have ever read in my entire life. It is one of the things in my life that touched my heart so deeply that all I could do was cry at it's raw, pure, beauty. Every story has that same pure loveliness. This is a book that you can read over and over ...more
Brent McCulley
Nov 29, 2013 Brent McCulley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Oscar Wilde is as witty as he is poignantly ominous. His shrewd clever ability to construct such brilliant lines that carry such an enormous philosophical weight is flabbergasting.

In this collection of works, one gets to see various sides of Oscar Wilde, some written very early in his literary career, and some written very late. Often one is forced to stop and reflect, the aphorisms of Oscar will never run trite, as this collection makes for a sharp tool on any reader's bookshelf.

Brent McCulley
Amanda
Nov 19, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a Wilde fan, this is a must-read! Some of the essays were a little hard for me to get into, just because of all the references he makes to the time period, but there are definitely some gems. "The Importance of Being Ernest" is a wonderful and hilarious play, "The Soul of a Man Under Socialism" is incredibly intelligent and thought-provoking, and many of his short stories are thoroughly entertaining. There is al so a section devoted to some of his popular quotes, which is fun.
  • The Complete Plays
  • Oscar Wilde
  • The Complete Poems and Plays, 1909-1950
  • Legends of Charlemagne
  • The Secret Life Of Oscar Wilde
  • Daring Spectacle: Adventures in Deviant Journalism
  • Roads of Destiny
  • The Real Trial of Oscar Wilde
  • Four Complete Novels: Great Expectations/Hard Times/A Christmas Carol/A Tale of Two Cities
  • Collected Poems of Thomas Hardy (Wordsworth Poetry) (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • The Fantasy Worlds of Peter Beagle
  • Poems and Ballads & Atalanta in Calydon
  • Plays: One
  • The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • Six Great Modern Plays
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...

“To be really mediæval one should have no body. To be really modern one should have no soul. To be really Greek one should have no clothes.” 89 likes
“Time is a waste of money.” 38 likes