Start by marking “Complete Works of Oscar Wilde” as Want to Read:
Complete Works of Oscar Wilde

Complete Works of Oscar Wilde

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  10,289 ratings  ·  170 reviews
In print since 1948, this is a single-volume collection of Oscar Wilde's texts. It contains his only novel, The Portrait of Dorian Gray as well as his plays, stories, poems, essays and letters. Illustrated with many photographs, the book includes introductions to each section by Wilde's grandon, Merlin Holoand, Owen Dudley Edwards, Declan Kibertd and Terence Brown. A compr ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 1246 pages
Published August 4th 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about Complete Works of Oscar Wilde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Complete Works of Oscar Wilde

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtDubliners by James JoyceThe Collected Poems of W.B. Yeats by W.B. YeatsDracula by Bram Stoker
Best Irish Literature
14th out of 442 books — 508 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHamlet by William ShakespeareJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
I Will Read Absolutely Anything S/He Writes
11th out of 651 books — 270 voters

More lists with this book...

Wilde has such a gift with phrasing, I always think about how parallel he seems to me with Ryan Adams. So many accolades so early, then such a fever to tear him apart.

Here's a few quotes:

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.

A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.

What can I say? You either love Wilde or you don't understand him, and I love him.
Rosa Ramôa

"A moda é uma variação tão intolerável do horror que tem de ser mudada de seis em seis meses" (Oscar Wilde)
1) The Picture of Dorian Gray
19) An Ideal Husband
20) Salome
21) The Duchess of Padua
22) Vera,
Okay, as recently, I'm mopping up some titles from "To Read Short Fiction Lists", genre and lit, and as I'm in the W's....

I had 3 pieces from Wilde on the list - I've previously read a *bit* of him (about 10 stories, mostly thanks to Dedalus Books Decadence series) but, for example, haven't tackled an obvious must-read like The Picture of Dorian Grey.

"Lord Arthur Savile's Crime" is probably the most "Wildean" thing here, and in it one can see Wilde's black humor and some origins of a writer like
Jul 19, 2012 El is currently reading it
This review is a work-in-progress. I'm reading this whole collection, but will be reviewing the individual reads separately as I go along, so don't be all confused by the otherwise seemingly random posting of Wilde stories and plays.

I am going to skip reading The Picture of Dorian Gray because I read that just a few years ago. My review is behind that link; knock yourself out.

Individual reviews will be linked here as I go along, just to really annoy everyone each time it pops up in their updates
Brilliant writing. Real, deep themes which one can relate to the present life. A fantastic ending. Definitely worth every single one of those 5 stars.
Oscar Wilde is fabulous, and clever, and impossibly witty and Oscar Wilde knows it. Do yourself a favor, don't read this cover to cover - a little bit of Wilde goes a long way!

Random thoughts:
I was disappointed to find that the popular culture image of Dorian Grey didn't quite live up to the actual written depiction of him. Apparently the Victorian's were easily horrified, and I found some of the examples of his debauchery to be head scratchers. Especially his tendency to collect jewels and tap
Oct 29, 2007 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Wow - why had a not read Oscar Wilde before? He immediately jumped to the top of my list of favorite authors...and easily at that! I love how an author who wrote over 100 years ago can make me laugh out loud; I love that his jabs at Americans are still relevant. So far the Canterville Ghost is my favorite, and I am currently reading the Picture of Dorian Gray.
Leila M
All of his work is so truthful and blunt. I started off collecting a few works here and there and ended up having to get the complete works.
Wilde has such a gift with writing. He is fabulous, Honest and clever.
this book is a collection of Wilde’s writings containing his only novel, The Portrait of Dorian Gray, as well as his plays, stories, poems, essays and letters.

So many favorite quotes :

“Why, anybody can have common sense, provided that they have no imagination”

“It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.”

"What is a cynic?…A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothin
When I first read this I wasn't necessarily a fan of Oscar Wilde. I was just curious about his work and I realized the easiest and fastest way to read it all was just to buy the book and call it a day.

Overall a very interesting and relatively quick read. Interesting in the sense that you're getting everything. You get background history, the fairy tales, plays, novel, essays. Quick in the fact that most everything in this book you can just breeze through w
The Importance of Being Earnest ***** Favourites
An Ideal Husband ***** Favourites (Blackmail)
Lady Windermere's Fan **
A Woman of No Importance ***** Favourites (Woman's Guilt)
The Sainte Courtisane *
A Florentine Tragedy **
Lord Arthur Savile's Crime ***
The Happy Prince ***** Favourites (A very touching story about poverty & social unjustice)
The Young King ***** Favourites (Moral: sympathy & compassion)
The Star-Child ***** Favourites (Heart breaking story. Moral: karma pay
Oscar Wilde is always so delightful, although what disturbing children's stories! I certainly would never read those stories to a child, with the exception of 'The Remarkable Rocket'. My favorite short stories were 'Lord Arthur Savile's Crime' and 'The Canterville Ghost'.

Reading all the plays back to back does cause them to blend together just a bit, he had a habit of reusing his favorite lines over and over again. Overall I would say I enjoyed 'Vera' (The Nihilists) the most, which was the onl
A must-have for every lover of literature. Oscar Wilde is a writer like no other. His words speak directly to one's heart, their soul, their subconsciousness.. He changed the way I understood writing and reading entirely, made me fall in love with his every word and get lost in his ideas, his thoughts, his world.

I was 13 or 14 when I first picked up a paperback copy of his complete works on a whim. I remember feeling a little doubtful for buying such an expensive book from an author I had never
I love Oscar Wilde. His tales have been part of my life since I was a child. In my teenager years his plays were the "shelter" when I felt sad. His work is wonderful, but, in this special edition, you can find everything he wrote, even the poems (which are not so good as his other works to me). I have a 1968 edition of this Collins Classics with beautiful illustrations and a great introduction by Vyvyan Holland. Beautiful edition!
I love his fairy tales and stories. I love Dorian Gray, and I love his playfulness when it comes to questions of morality.
It was therefore so sad to read his 'De Profundis'. Although written under extreme conditions, and therefore miraculously coherent, it revealed such a bitterness and moral disapproval on the part of the author. Did it diminish the magnitude of his genius? I'm not sure...
Chrissy Vassiliadis
I received this book as a gift from my dad when I was about 13 years old.
It's the special centenary edition.
It was love at first sight.
It's filled with my notes, my dried flowers (teen me was oh so romantic) and a piece of my soul.
Jessica Walters
Oscar Wilde is interesting because he can produce very effective satire without being just another misanthropist.
Nissa Rachmidwiati
I just got this book in my mailbox earlier today. I bought this frpm an online second-hand book store so it was pretty cheap. And it's very well worth every rupiah I spent. I was freakishly happy once I got this on my hand that I found myself wrapping my owned-books with plastic-cover for like 2 hours, it was started with me wrapping this holy Oscar Wilde's book, then after I finished I just went upstairs to get myself my pile of books then I started the work. For a clumsy person like me, coveri ...more
Dammit, I love me some Wilde. But little did I know how much until I read it all. The fiction, plays and poetry were of course superb, but I was also blown away by his letters (Most notably De Profundis) and journalistic work.
So many favorite quotes, I could fill an anthology, but these were my highlights in no particular order:
“Love is not fashionable any more, the poets have killed it. They wrote so much about it that nobody believed them, and I am not surprised”

“Why, anybody can have common
Mark Colenutt
Oscar Wilde who taunted Victorian society by making mockery of their social mores and they loved it. What English speaking nation does not have a play of his running or films based on his works airing?

From school productions to Hollywood his popularity has no age or cultural bounds. He brought the power of the classical world into the 19th century theatre with his constant references to its mythology and thereby reminded us continually of our European origins. Only his wit surpassed his learning
Jess Scott
I should write another review for Edgar Allan Poe sometime (I frequently refer to both Poe and Wilde as "The Man")...but first, Oscar Wilde's anthology.

Wow, I've probably still more than half of this collection to get through, though I've read "De Profundis" (Mr. Wilde's 80-page letter to Bosie, written while he was in prison) several times. Over, and over, from beginning to end, and for some reason, it gets better and better with each read.

As Oscar Wilde states himself (is there a more brillian
Angela Ding
Practically Everyone in my middle school is going on and on and on about Harry Potter, Divergent and such, whereas I am silently cursing their lack of classic literature in their minds. Probably I'm the only one who loves books as magical as this.
"The Picture of Dorian Gray" is the biggest treat.
All of the characters have the most beautiful traits; especially Lord Henry.

Thank you Oscar Wilde, for enlightening me with your philosophies
This writer is truely amazing.
I enjoyed "A Picture of Dorian Gray" as well as "The Importance of Being Earnest" imensly.
However, i found "The Ballad of Reading Gaol" to be my favorite piece of writing by Wilde.
The emotion behind it is astounding.
It was his final piece of writing before his death. The last thing he had the chance to say and he spoke of the horrors thrust upon him in prison. It is a magnificent poem.

i now find myself quoting Wilde all to often.

My favorite writer of the momen
Paul Cool
Dec 13, 2013 Paul Cool rated it 4 of 5 stars
Oscar Wilde, Complete Works (Collins Edition): Wilde’s work appears in a number of collections. This relatively complete one benefits from the analytic essays. After re-watching the only PBS miniseries on Lily Langtry that first introduced me to Oscar’s brilliance and tragedy, I decided to go beyond The Importance of Being Earnest and read his poems, essays, short stories, novels and other plays. Only about half-way through (the stories – Canterville Ghost, Dorian Gray – and plays are still to g ...more
I spent a year reading Collins Complete Works of Oscar Wilde and don't regret about half of it. He was clearly a very unique, talented, and opinionated man. Most of his works were 'perfectly delightful' as he would say, but some were clearly above my reading level...or just not of interest to me.

When I did enjoy something like The Picture of Dorian Gray, most of the short stories and plays, particularly The Importance of Being Earnest, or the essays De Profundis, Two Letters to the Daily Chroni
Sep 23, 2013 Misha marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
[The Picture of Dorian Grey: ****]
Great book. Awesome. Fantastical. All those things. A real must-read.

[Lord Arthur Savile's Crime]

[A Florentine Tragedy]

[La Sainte Courtisane]

[Poems in Verse: Currently Reading]
His poems kind of di
Amazing book. Have read many 'complete works' but as one of my favorite authors is Oscar Wilde and I love his books I really loved this one. Big pleasure during reading!

Going to the most recommended shelf!
Saad Yousaf
While I find Wilde's work extremely witty, charming and poetic, this edition is missing some of his vital works; De Profundis and his essays which I believe are a main vein in Wilde's literature.
  • The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll
  • The Complete Poems and Plays, 1909-1950
  • The Original Illustrated Mark Twain
  • Poetical Works
  • The Complete Plays
  • Oscar Wilde
  • The Complete Works
  • Four Complete Novels: Great Expectations/Hard Times/A Christmas Carol/A Tale of Two Cities
  • Charlotte & Emily Brontë: The Complete Novels
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • The Real Trial of Oscar Wilde
  • A Tale of a Tub and Other Works
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • Legends of Charlemagne
  • The Major Works (Oxford World's Classics)
  • Poems and Ballads and Atalanta in Calydon
  • The Portable Arthur Miller
  • Thesmophoriazusae
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...

“To be really mediæval one should have no body. To be really modern one should have no soul. To be really Greek one should have no clothes.” 78 likes
“Time is a waste of money.” 39 likes