Start by marking “The Marriage Wish” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Wish

The Marriage Wish

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,632 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
On his 38th birthday, lonely Scott Williams fervently wished for a wife and family, but he never expected to become so utterly captivated by the beautiful, yet troubled Jennifer St. James. She was everything he'd ever wanted in a woman--and he knew she'd be the perfect mother of his future children. But sad memories of her past still shadowed Jennifer's heart. Turning to G ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Harlequin (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage Wish

The Negotiator by Dee HendersonThe Guardian by Dee HendersonDanger in the Shadows by Dee HendersonTrue Devotion by Dee HendersonThe Truth Seeker by Dee Henderson
Christian Contemporary Romance Favorites
62nd out of 486 books — 361 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books I Can't Get Enough Of
462nd out of 542 books — 217 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeremy Payne
Dec 07, 2011 Jeremy Payne rated it really liked it

In one word, Dee Henderson’s, “The Marriage Wish” is: Touching! Dee Henderson does a superb job of connecting and drawing in her readers, because this book does not speak to the head, but the heart! Healing takes place and dreams come true as the lives of Scott Williams and Jennifer St. James intertwine. Both characters show a willingness to face the obstacles and challenges that come with bringing two hearts together, after those hearts have been broken before.
This is not an easy book. Not ea
Bev Walkling
This novel was apparently Henderson's first published effort and is quite good with that understanding though it does not match up to some of her more recent books.Scott William's makes a wish at his 38th birthday to meet his future wife. He is a man of strong Christian faith and his wish is expressed as a prayer. Shortly after he meets Jennifer St. James and it isn't long before his interest is sparked. Sadly, she is dealing with an overwhelming grief after the sudden loss of her husband three ...more
Denise
Jan 28, 2012 Denise rated it liked it
This is the first Dee Henderson book I have read and ironically, it's the first book she wrote. This book gives me great hope in writing my own book one day.

It's not at all what I was expecting. It's an easy read that makes you want to see the couple get together in the end but the intense healing that has to take place is deep.

Final thoughts on reading it.....I'm thankful for healthy kids and I don't ever want to take for granted them or my husband.

Also, I may need a puppy.
Diana Barrick
Feb 19, 2014 Diana Barrick rated it liked it
READS Library loan for Kindle. This book definitely had a predictable story line. The characters were terribly perfect, rich, beautiful, talented, and most of all so morally excellent. The hero of the story, Scott, is a saint. The story of the heroine, Jennifer, reads like an example of "why bad things happen to good people" and thus was the main plot of the book. This was an easy book to read with a lot of dialogue. Except for Jennifer's sad past, I kept waiting for the punchline, which didn't ...more
Michelle
Oct 18, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-inspired
I admit to reading the reviews before reading the book, just to get a feeling at what other's were saying, so I read this after people complained that this was the author's first book and did a poor job...

Sorry, I don't agree on the poor job part. Her writing style was very simple, and a bit puzzling at times, but it was so necessary because it fit Jennifer so well!!! I LOVED how this book was written! I LOVED the story line! I LOVED Scott, and must say that he is definitely too good to EVER be
Piepie Beuttel
I had never read Dee Henderson's earliest work before, just her suspense/thriller/action stuff. This first book of hers was refreshing, adorable, and romantic. Scott seemed to be a blueprint for all the other male main characters Henderson would create later, in other books. Jennifer was a well-thought-out character, an author, like a couple of other women in other books. I noticed also that Henderson recycled some of these names into other books: Ann, Rachel, Blackie, Jennifer.

My favorite part
Alison
Jul 10, 2015 Alison rated it it was ok
Definitely not my favorite Dee Henderson, but it was all right. It's always interesting to read a talented author's early work and see how they've changed with time.
Jennifer was the only character who felt fully developed, I'm afraid, and it read more like a story about grief and healing than a romance. There just wasn't much chemistry between Jennifer and Scott.
Joan Arning
Jul 05, 2014 Joan Arning rated it it was amazing
Successful businessman, Scott, realizes he doesn't want to spend his life alone and makes a birthday wish for a woman of his dreams. Jennifer is mourning her husband and infant child. The two meet on the beach and Scott is immediately drawn to her. Scott has to overcome Jennifer's fears of loving again and help her turn back to the deep faith she once had.
Christine
Jun 09, 2016 Christine rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the storyline and all the characters. I love how an author isn't afraid to add God and faith to their writings.

The only downside for me, was the flow, as you were in one scene then immediately in another without a lot of breaks between paragraphs, I felt myself going back to read the previous sentence, to make sure I hadn't missed something.
Ruth
Mar 26, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing
This was truely a good book that I read it in 1 day! Well, I had an unexpected day of no kids around that helped on that also!
I have read many of Dee Hendersons' books a long time ago but this one was really different. It describes the pain and fear that one of the main charactors has experienced and that kept her from being able to move forward in life. A very loving and compassionate man helped her through it in a very amazing way. One can be very mad and angry with God about circumstances in
Susan Jones
I did not realize at first, that this was Dee's first book until I read some of the book reviews on Amazon. Although the story line was great, and the characters 19 were well defined I felt the book dragged on.
Pauline
Jul 24, 2013 Pauline rated it liked it
I don't normally read a lot of the "Love Inspired" books, but I saw this listed on Paperback Swap and wanted to read it simply because it was Dee Henderson's first book. The dialogue was a bit stilted, she used the characters names way, way too much in dialogue and the story was predictable. What I liked about it was that it shows how far Ms Henderson has developed in her writing. I do not have the same critiques for any of her O'Malley series or newer books. I could see the "Dee Henderson I kno ...more
Kimberly Tilley
May 17, 2016 Kimberly Tilley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read as usual with Dee Henderson

I always enjoy the plot and how God is involved in the healing story line. The epilogue was pretty cool as well.
Marsha
May 15, 2015 Marsha rated it really liked it
I didn't read this book until I was hooked on Dee, & later found out it was her first. She definitely improved as a writer over the years, but she had a strong start in this one.
Marcia
Jul 09, 2016 Marcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

A terrific Christian romance by one of my favorite author's. I fell in love with the characters. Could not put this book down.
Appaloosa05
Aug 31, 2012 Appaloosa05 rated it liked it
Fairly predictable, this book is nonetheless an enjoyable, light read. It's sweet and romantic, with a satisfying resolution. The main flaws I noticed are that the characters (especially the supporting characters) lack depth. Even Scott Williams, the main male character, seems too perfect on many occasions. I would have appreciated it if Dee Henderson took more time to flush out her characters and really explore their character flaws.

I would suggest this book as light fluff for a beach trip or p
Deanna Turner
Nov 07, 2015 Deanna Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Dee Henderson Winner

Dee's characters are human, not perfect. Many of them go through a crisis of faith. Thank you, Dee, for keeping your writing clean.
joyce lynn
Apr 22, 2008 joyce lynn rated it it was amazing
if you're paying attention, you'll realize that i finished God's Gift, by this same author, PLUS, read this whole book of her's, all in the same day. as i said, she writes books that are VERY difficult to put down! and, i'd already read this book once before!! still, there were some details that came at me new, both because i'd missed a few the first time around, and, because i'm in a different place myself during this reading than the last one.

again, if you like a little romance, but all of it
Beverly Shearon
Apr 07, 2014 Beverly Shearon rated it really liked it
If you need to have a cry, read this one. It was a good story line. Interesting being told from the male's viewpoint.
Jennifer Robb
Jan 17, 2016 Jennifer Robb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dee Henderson will have you rooting for Scott's and Jennifer's relationship to succeed.
Liz
Mar 10, 2015 Liz rated it it was amazing
Christian fiction. Stand alone novel. Very good. Had a hard time putting down.
Dianne Sidebottom
Aug 29, 2015 Dianne Sidebottom rated it it was amazing
A box of tissues required. Jennifer n Scott's story is written like her other material. Older people who want family or have been hit by circumstances/experiences that take a long time to recover from. Both families have strong support members. Our God experience taking knocks n being unsure if they/we can recover. (I just feel I missed out or missed the ideal of love from a man who wants to love) what to read next? I wasn't sure about the dialogue Jen was having with her memory of Jerry n Colle ...more
Melissa
Sep 10, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Made me laugh and cry, very touching story about risking love.
Billie Davenport
Jun 19, 2015 Billie Davenport rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Christian writers. Such a sweet story
Jenny Gordon
Jan 02, 2016 Jenny Gordon rated it really liked it
Nice, but not as good as the O'Malley Series.
Rita Mcallister davidson
Loved this read.
Debbie Grimmer
Feb 19, 2013 Debbie Grimmer rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO
I found Dee Henderson because her books were on a bookmark I got at the library. I absolutly LOVED the O'Malley series. This book, however, I didn't even get past page 50 before I returned it to the library. I think it was one of her first books and it did not grab me a bit. Blah and mundane and predictable. In my opinion, not worth my time. I have Her book The Witness on hold at the library for me today!
Rose
Jan 08, 2013 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I expected the romance, but Henderson wove the right amount of mystery and questions in the story that kept me turning the pages. I was trying to figure out Jennifer's story right along with Scott. And the fast rate of the relationship seemed fitting to the situation. And of course the book had a satisfying ending. I would definitely read other love inspired romances by Dee Henderson.
Whitney
Sep 11, 2008 Whitney rated it liked it
So, I am the type of person who really hates reading about marriage and stuff. I wonder why? This book follows a developing relationship where many kinks come in. It was touching to see how people tend to stick together through trials. It was a good book.
  • Halos
  • White Chocolate Moments
  • On Every Side
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
  • In Harm's Way (Heroes of Quantico, #3)
  • A Soldier's Heart (The Flanagans, #7)
  • The Sacrifice

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Dee Henderson is the author of 14 best-selling novels, including the acclaimed O'Malley series and the Uncommon Heroes series. As a leader in the inspirational romantic suspense category, her books have won or been nominated for several prestigious industry awards, including the RWA's RITA Award, the Christy Awa
More about Dee Henderson...