Start by marking “Wiring a House” as Want to Read:
Wiring a House

Wiring a House

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This classic reference book on home wiring for homeowners, electricians and apprentices has been completely updated to reflect changes to the electrical code since it was first published in 1996. New material on home generators, lightning protection and wiring "above code" has been added to this edition. Featuring new design and color photos throughout.
Published August 9th 2002 by Taunton Press (first published November 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Wiring a House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wiring a House

Danny Vanderbyl
It's Not for Dummies!

Rex has done a great job giving the newbie a heart-to-heart about electricity, but doesn't treat you like a dummy. He expects that if you are going to touch electricity, you want to know how to do it right, not just how to do the minimum.

I highly recommend this book over the stanley Manual, which, as Rex says, looks like it was written by a "desk jockey" and is incredibly boring.
William
I love this book. I am on my 3rd edition (I do not know the actual edition number, it is just the 3rd one for me) as I buy these every few years as the book is updated to reflect the latest NEC changes. I have purchased this book for friends who are experienced with wiring and have upcoming electrical projects.

Like the series title says "For Pros by Pros". This does not mean that you must be a professional electrician to use this book, but you do need to have a good understanding of electricity,
Sean
An incredibly thorough and detailed tour of residential wiring, complete with clear diagrams and useful tips. This book covers every aspect of electricity in the home from how transformers work and panel layouts, to wiring individual appliances and proper grounding. An invaluable and (best of all) accessible reference for anyone wanting to know more about what goes on inside the walls of their home. I especially appreciated the illustrations and photos which showed actual job sites, instead of h ...more
Matt Mart
This is one of the few books that takes you through the entire process from power line to light socket. This along with the current wiring simplified, your local codes and your inspectors phone number will allow you to wire anything in and around your home. It's clear, precise and has great rules-of-thumb to live by when you are wearing your electrician's hat.
Jonathan
The single most helpful book I've read on house wiring. Way more digestable than an electrician school textbook (or the NEC), yet still detailed enough to be useful on its own.
David
A good reference book, as are most of those published by Taunton Press. This book is primarily for persons doing a substantial residential wiring job.
John Lockhart
John Lockhart marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Todd Feather
Todd Feather marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Mohammed Sameer
Mohammed Sameer marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Sully
Sully marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Nathan
Nathan added it
Jan 22, 2015
Desmond Rivet
Desmond Rivet marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Cat
Cat added it
Oct 29, 2014
Kara Mackillop
Kara Mackillop marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Wiring a House: 5th Edition Inspecting a House Plumbing Plumbing Complete: Basic to Advanced Plumbing for Over 200 Home Projects (Taunton's Quick-Access Guides) Wiring a House: 5th Edition