Start by marking “Wiring a House” as Want to Read:
Wiring a House

Wiring a House

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This classic reference book on home wiring for homeowners, electricians and apprentices has been completely updated to reflect changes to the electrical code since it was first published in 1996. New material on home generators, lightning protection and wiring "above code" has been added to this edition. Featuring new design and color photos throughout.
Published August 9th 2002 by Taunton Press (first published November 1st 1996)

Danny Vanderbyl
Nov 24, 2012 Danny Vanderbyl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
It's Not for Dummies!

Rex has done a great job giving the newbie a heart-to-heart about electricity, but doesn't treat you like a dummy. He expects that if you are going to touch electricity, you want to know how to do it right, not just how to do the minimum.

I highly recommend this book over the stanley Manual, which, as Rex says, looks like it was written by a "desk jockey" and is incredibly boring.
William
Feb 22, 2013 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I am on my 3rd edition (I do not know the actual edition number, it is just the 3rd one for me) as I buy these every few years as the book is updated to reflect the latest NEC changes. I have purchased this book for friends who are experienced with wiring and have upcoming electrical projects.

Like the series title says "For Pros by Pros". This does not mean that you must be a professional electrician to use this book, but you do need to have a good understanding of electricity,
Sean
Jan 03, 2009 Sean rated it it was amazing
An incredibly thorough and detailed tour of residential wiring, complete with clear diagrams and useful tips. This book covers every aspect of electricity in the home from how transformers work and panel layouts, to wiring individual appliances and proper grounding. An invaluable and (best of all) accessible reference for anyone wanting to know more about what goes on inside the walls of their home. I especially appreciated the illustrations and photos which showed actual job sites, instead of h ...more
Lonnie Sullivan
May 05, 2016 Lonnie Sullivan rated it it was amazing
great book. Gives you a good overview on almost any residential wiring task, and does so in a manner most people could grasp. I highly recommend it. Not only does he show you how to meet code, but he goes further...showing you a preferable "above-code" way of doing things. Remember, the code is the bare minimum, so it is often better to go beyond it.
Matt Mart
Feb 01, 2010 Matt Mart rated it it was amazing
This is one of the few books that takes you through the entire process from power line to light socket. This along with the current wiring simplified, your local codes and your inspectors phone number will allow you to wire anything in and around your home. It's clear, precise and has great rules-of-thumb to live by when you are wearing your electrician's hat.
Jonathan
Dec 11, 2007 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: house-renovation
The single most helpful book I've read on house wiring. Way more digestable than an electrician school textbook (or the NEC), yet still detailed enough to be useful on its own.
David
Aug 16, 2008 David rated it really liked it
A good reference book, as are most of those published by Taunton Press. This book is primarily for persons doing a substantial residential wiring job.
Earl
Earl rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Hendradjohan .
Hendradjohan . marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Michael Richmond
Michael Richmond rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Tim
Tim added it
Apr 19, 2016
Kathy Burnam
Kathy Burnam rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Mark Rippy
Mark Rippy rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Dvampn1
Dvampn1 rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Paul Houghton
Paul Houghton rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Joaquin LLorens
Joaquin LLorens rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
CJ Fike
CJ Fike rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Allan
Allan added it
Dec 28, 2015
Jake Reece
Jake Reece marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Bert Wagner
Bert Wagner rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2015
Ronny
Ronny marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Christian
Christian rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Victor Kazdoba
Victor Kazdoba rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Bob Correia
Bob Correia rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2015
D W
D W rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2015
ben guan
ben guan rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2015
Jayesh.G.Nair
Jayesh.G.Nair marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Gregory S Landry
Gregory S Landry rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2015
John Lockhart
John Lockhart marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015