Start by marking “Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)” as Want to Read:
Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)

Four to Score (Stephanie Plum #4)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  103,284 Ratings  ·  2,329 Reviews
A Featured Alternate Selection of the Literary Guild and Doubleday Book Club and a Main Selection of the Mystery Guild

Janet Evanovich, bestselling author of One for the Money, Two for the Dough, and Three to Get Deadly, scores big with Four to Score, her most thrilling Stephanie Plum adventure yet. Working for her bail bondsman cousin Vinnie, Stephanie is hot on the trail
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2005 by Macmillan Audio (first published 1998)

Lauren Fidler
Choko
*** 4.25 ***

A re-read with the BB&B group

What can I say in order not to repeat myself on every review and sound like the typical fan-girl? Nothing. I am a fan-girl when it comes to this series and find JE to be one of the best authors out there in ability to make people laugh, even when confronted with some really tough themes and situations. Does she use stereotypes and make fun of bigotry and biases? Yes, she does. The difference is that there isn't one intentionally hurtful or hateful sen
Jilly
May 05, 2016 Jilly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"You're Calamity Jane in fucking Spandex!"

True. Stephanie manages to get not one, but two cars blown up in this book, along with her apartment. It might be some kind of record. But, the good news is that with no apartment (and let's not even mentioned that poor Rex's life was endangered again) we find Stephanie in need of a place to stay. A safe place. Like maybe with a certain good-looking cop that she played doctor with at the age of 6??

So, in this one Stephanie has a simple job: bring in a
Alisha
Oct 23, 2010 Alisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay! So glad I read through to this, the fourth book in the Stephanie Plum series. Within the first 30 pages, I knew I would enjoy it more than the previous three (and they themselves weren't bad at all).

For one, the "I brushed my teeth, put on nighties, fed my hamster, got in bed and fell asleep" coverage is greatly scaled back (though, it was a minor gripe before, anyway). Instead we're treated to more action, more plot. I found myself loathe to stop reading for any reason (sleep, work, etc).
When Stephanie is asked to hunt down a waitress who skipped bail after stealing her ex-boyfriend's car she thinks it'll be easy. That's before the ex-boyfriend offers her extra cash on the side if she'll tip him off to Maxine's location before the cops get involved though. It turns out that Maxine has been leaving clues for her ex and now Stephanie finds herself on a crazy treasure hunt trying to figure out what Maxine is really up to. When Maxine's friend loses a finger and her mother gets scal ...more
Tilly Slaton
Dec 08, 2011 Tilly Slaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a lot of fun reading this book! This is the second time that I’ve read this series, and I must admit, I am laughing just as hard now as I did the first time around.

Lula and Stephanie Plum’s team work has become something of a force of nature.

“Drop your gun, you punk-ass old coot,” Lula yelled. “you don’t drop your gun, I’m gonna bust a cap up your ass!”

Vinnie, the slime ball cousin that owns and operates the bond agency that they work at, has begun to pop up in the books more often now. Hi
Kate
Nov 24, 2007 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: evanovich
Two things I learned from this book...everyone in the Burg carries a gun and the women of the Burg seem to be carrying the biggest guns. Secondly, my life is completely boring compared to Stephanie Plum.

In Four to Score we can add yet another blown up car to Stephanie's list not to mention her apartment which is torched which leads her right into the arms of Morelli. Add a Grandma Bella and a Grandma Mazur to the story and you've got yourself one heck of a book...I finished this book and kept r
☆Brittany☆
Oct 22, 2007 ☆Brittany☆ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good laugh!
Shelves: mystery, humor
I had the *hardest* time getting into this book. I have read the previous 3 Stephanie Plum books - which I thoroughly enjoyed & couldn't stop reading - but this time it took me forever to finish.

I think my main problem with reading it was that I have been super busy & when I haven't been busy I've been tired & this book didn't suck me in like all the other books had.

Evanovich still made me laugh - she has a great sense of humor & an amazing way with words but I'm assuming my lack
Catherine
May 25, 2009 Catherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Oooh! We get intellectuals in this one - codes no less! Don't worry, we don't have The Da Vinci Codestyle disappointment of finding out how trivial they are really because the details are not revealed, they're simply beyond Stephanie's brain and get passed on to Sally. I do like the way the cast of supporting characters is growing with each book and each of them brings something new to the party.

This was the last of the first block of these I read, as I was missing (or at least thought I was mi
Mari Yeung ♡
Nov 27, 2015 Mari Yeung ♡ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Nei periodi neri l'unica che riesce a sollevarmi il morale è Stephanie. È impossibile non ridere di tutte le disavventure che le capitano. Dall'inizio alla fine non ho fatto altro che ridere e ridere.
Con questo volume finalmente abbiamo una svolta nella vita sentimentale di quei due testoni, evvai! E quello che ne consegue è esilarante. (view spoiler)
Jessica
May 07, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Plum fans!
Imagine finding yourself burnt, or getting beat up or even shot at! All of this comes with Stephanie Plum’s job’s territory. It’s occupational hazard. She’s a bounty hunter. In the fourth book of the series, Stephanie is after Maxine, a first time offender who stole her boyfriend’s car after a fight. The problem is Stephanie is not the only one after her. Her nemesis, Joyce, has given up her make-up counter job at Macy’s for the glamorous job of felon apprehension, and is after the same felon! J ...more
Mandy
Jun 24, 2016 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I'm really starting to have a problem with how often Janet Stephanie thinks of overweight people as "fatties." Stephanie eats like a pot-smoking college kid, she just happens to have a pretty decent metabolism so she doesn't put on the pounds. I love these books, don't get me wrong, but I find it hard to love a character who looks down at other people who share her weaknesses.

And I'll never understand why some authors feel it's fine to body-shame people of any size.

Knocking two stars off this o
Anastasia
Four to Score by Janet Evanovich is the 4th Stephanie Plum novel. Bounty hunter Stephanie Plum is assigned t bring in Maxine Nowicki who is charged with stealing her boyfriends car and becomes targeted by a crazed fire bomber as well as a counterfeit ring. Another fun, light read with plenty of action and laughs. I love all the characters and their eccentricities and various talents. Always have a fun time with this series.
noelle
Mar 16, 2012 noelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-own, ebooks
here is a series of my tumblr posts that relate to this book and others of its ilk

post 1: does janet evanovich integrate the cast of jersey shore into her later stephanie plum novels?
those are really the only things i know about nj other than the fact that it smells like shit as you’re going into nyc. i remember a couple of years ago they had billboards up trying to promote how much it didn’t smell like shit. if you have to put billboards up, nah, probs aint true.

what i appreciate about j.e.’s s
Michelle
I've made a new pact with myself. I am not going to apologize for reading books that lack any real intellectual value. I suppose if that was all I read ever...well then maybe I would need to excuse my horrible habits.

However, since I do read plenty of good and worthy literature, both fiction and non, I am not going make excuses. I like Stephanie Plum, and I like this series. And at some point in time, I am going to get tired of it and that will be that.

Won't say much about this. Same sort of fo
Shxrxn
Oct 03, 2012 Shxrxn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He had an annoying habit of periodically popping up in my life, frustrating the hell out of me and then walking off into the sunset. I couldn't do much about the popping up or the walking off. I could do something about the frustrating.
I could have called.
- Morelli
I thought maybe you were dead.
- Stephanie
I hate fix-ups. Fix-ups are always awful.
He's not my type.
What's wrong with him?
- Mom
He's got too many buttons open on his shirt.
I couldn't stand fuck
Nancy Steinle gummel
Four to Score by Janet Evanovich is a continuing saga of Stephanie Plum's career as a bounty hunter for her Uncle Vince's business. She's given a contract on Maxine Norwicki for FTA failure to appear at her court hearing. No one from her work has heard from her. Her borfriend Edward Kuntz hasn't heard from her. She gives Kuntz her business card. He loses it and calls Stephanie's parent house looking for her. Grandma Mazur invites him for dinner. Kuntz tells Stephanie that Maxine called him sayin ...more
Heather
Jan 26, 2010 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, mystery
Another glorious tale in the saga of Stephanie Plum, A.K.A. aqua net welding, car destroying bounty hunter.

Hilights include:
1. Sally the transvestite in all his glory (I think he may curse more than me which is an impressive feat)
2. Tula experiments with the taser
3. Stephanie moves in with Morelli, hello #9 and #10, it's about freakin time
Aoibhínn
This was a light funny enjoyable read. The characters are developing well. I thought the plot was a bit boring though but there was a good mixture of action and humour. Three stars.
Ana T.
Jan 30, 2008 Ana T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I read another Stephanie Plum this week too. And I loughed out loud yet again!

This time Stephanie is looking for Maxine Nowicki. She went missing with her boyfriends car and he made a complaint and had her arrested. When she fails her court hearing Stephanie enters the scene and is hired by the boyfriend to find Maxine and some papers she took. At the same time Maxine starts to leaves a trail of clues for the boyfriend, Eddie, to find and some of her friends and family start being attacked.

I
Trudy
Jun 08, 2008 Trudy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, nothing really new - LOVE these books...

In this "episode" we meet a new character - Sally Sweet. He is a cross dressing drag queen... yep... that's what I said. And Joyce is back - Stephanie's arch rival... in bouty hunting (now) and with her husband, Dickie (then). Surprise, Joyce is the reason for the demise of Stephanie's short lived marriage to Dickie, a trenton attorney.

Jealousy over Stephanie's relationship with Sally creates tension until things start to explode, literally, and Ste
Morgan
Mar 29, 2016 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MVP: Lula (because she gets better and better with every book! Sometimes I feel like my eating habits directly mirror Lula's!! Lol)

Best quote:

"He insulted my breast," Sally said.
"That's what happens when you have breasts," I shouted. "People insult them. Get used to it."
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
This was so much fun to read. Stephanie always seem to get more than she can chew. She never has an easy bounty. Her bounties are more than just a quick catch and drop off. This time she teams up with quite a few funny characters, the ex-hooker, Lula, a Transgender musician, Sandy, grandma Mazur and of course don't forget sexy Morelli. Well things do get crazy but you can't help but laugh because nothing ever goes right for Stephanie. There's always someone trying to kill her and not just becaus ...more
gigi pryce
Oct 15, 2015 gigi pryce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, it literally had me giggling, but it didn't have me feeling like the other ones did. I loved grandma like normal, and Sally and sugar, but the case itself wasn't all that entertaining.
OhWell
Apr 01, 2016 OhWell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, mystery
My favourite of the series so far. Light, fluffy, fun. Sally was a hilarious addition, and Stephanie and Morelli... ahem... finally got to spend some time together :)
Stefania
Quando si parla della Evanovich divento abbastanza ripetitiva; adoro i suoi libri e lo dico tutte le volte.
Questa volta Stephanie, oltre al solito (in questo caso solitA) MA scomparso, anche un cantante gay tradito e la sua nemica per eccellenza che tenta di rubarle il lavoro.
Come al solito, quando leggo le avventure di Stephanie Plum rido per quasi tutto il libro; mi piace anche la piega che hanno preso le cose con Morelli, peccato però che in questa avventura nonna Mazur non sia così tanto pre
Vickie
Four to Score by Janet Evanovich is just plain fun. These are not deep mysteries or scary thrillers; they are just plain fun. The characters are people you would love to eavesdrop on while sitting in a diner but not necessarily have them next to you at a dinner. I love Grandma Mazur!!!!

Go Cards! L1C4!
Vivi Vocat
Jan 12, 2015 Vivi Vocat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By now I know, what I will get out of a Stephanie Plum book, silly action, pathetic mishaps, smiles and giggles.

I keep waiting for the heroine to get better at her job, but so far nothing. Every other character was ridiculously better prepared than Stephanie, even though she is supposedly the pro. This joke was getting old in the second book and by now it’s frankly a bit off-putting. It feels unnatural that she takes almost no precautions or at the very least some self-defense lessons. Speaking
Dale
Jul 16, 2013 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you liked the first three books you'll like this one as much or more. Stephanie Plum, novice bounty hunter, is at it again with her merry band of misfits. Grandma Mazur is at her wise-cracking best. Lula is at her big attitude finest. Add in Sally Sweet the 6'5" transvestite and you've got yourself the finest group of bounty hunters in Trenton. Well, at least the most amusing.

Yukino
May 18, 2015 Yukino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miei, 2015
SERIE STEPHANIE PLUM n. 4

LETTURA E&L

Una volta iniziato non sono proprio riuscita a fermarmi. Oramai so che la parte investigativa è quel che è, ma il bello di questa serie è l'imbranataggine di Stephanie, la pazzia di Lula, la nonna che si sente giovane, la mamma chioccia, il papà rassegnato, Ranger supereroe e soprattuto a Morelli agente, sciupafemmine e semi innamorato.

In questo volume Stephanie è alle prese con una ex vendicativa e latitante e fa la conoscenza di un gruppo di drag queen..
Around the Year i...: Four to Score, by Janet Evanovich 3 11 Jan 27, 2016 11:27AM
2016 Reading Chal...: Four to Score- Janet Evanovich 1 13 Mar 08, 2015 08:47PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Four to Score by Janet Evanovich 2 11 Jan 29, 2015 03:23PM
Join in the discussions! 14 99 May 05, 2014 01:12PM
The Women's Myste...: #4 Four to Score 1 5 Aug 09, 2013 10:50PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Four to Score 1 4 Jun 08, 2012 06:30PM
  • Hero at Large
  • Curse of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #2)
  • Not One Clue (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #6)
  • Bubbles Ablaze (Bubbles Yablonsky, #3)
  • 5 Bodies to Die For (Body Movers, #5)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • Mayhem in High Heels (High Heels, #5)
  • Death Perception (Psychic Eye Mystery, #6)
  • Nutcase (Crazy, #2)
  • Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #3)
More about Janet Evanovich...

Stephanie Plum (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)
  • Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2)
  • Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3)
  • High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5)
  • Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)
  • Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)
  • Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8)
  • To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, #9)
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)
  • Eleven on Top (Stephanie Plum, #11)

“She'll be back," Ranger said. "But not tonight."
[Stephanie] "How'd you get her to leave?"
"Told her I was gonna spend the next twelve hours ruining you for all other men, and so she might as well go home."
I could feel the heat rush to my face.
Ranger gave me the wolf smile. "I lied about it being tonight," he said.”
155 likes
“Some men go a lifetime and never have their kid blow up a car, but I have a daughter who's knocked off three cars and burned down a funeral home. Maybe that's some kind of record.” 144 likes