Start by marking “Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5)” as Want to Read:
Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5)

Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad #5)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  58,012 ratings  ·  429 reviews
With the crowning of Garion, there was a descendant of Riva Iron-grip to rule as Overlord of the West once again. But the Prophecy was unfulfilled. In the East, the evil God Torak was about to awaken and seek dominion. Somehow, Garion had to face the God, to kill or be killed.
Published (first published December 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Enchanters' End Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enchanters' End Game

Kelly
May 29, 2007 Kelly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults, fantasy lovers
I will let my review of this book speak for all of the Eddings books that I have read, which include four series of books (Belgariad, Mallorean, the Elenium and the Tamuli). I discovered these books in the seventh grade, and as a testament to how much I loved them: not only I, but all of my friends and I ripped through all four of these series over the course of six months to a year, sharing books and working out arrangements of who would buy the next one. I remember sitting around in a circle a ...more
Stephen
3.5 stars. Fairly satisfying ending the Belgariad. Overall, this was an above average epic fantasy series geared more towards the YA audience but still enjoyable for adults.

One final note: I listened to the audiobook narrated by Cameron Beierle and he did an excellent job with the series.
C.E. Murphy
Turns out ENCHANTERS' END GAME has all kinds of POVs in it, mostly, in fact, of women. Well, no, not mostly: mostly it's Garion. But every other POV is a female, because Eddings dips in around the West and visits the queens who are holding the thrones while their husbands are off fighting the big war.

Re-reading as an adult, I found that interesting for two reasons: one, it means every POV in the Belgariad that is not Garion's is female, which--from the adult perspective--is fairly awesome. One
Stephen

Amber
I hadn't intended on giving this 5 stars, but seriously, the ending was pretty cool. It was so Harry Potter-esque that I couldn't help but think Rowling must have read the series before she wrote hers. I just didn't see the battle between Torak and Garion going the way it did, and it impressed me. Plus, I was glad it tied up all the loose ends. Looking forward to reading The Mallorean series, which is an extension off this I guess. This series played it safe a bit, but nice wrap up.
Patrick
Meh. I like many of the characters, but they do the same things in the same way for 5 books and it just wore on me. Many things were resolved too easily, and some were not resolved at all except in a sentence. e.g. Barak's been freaking out about his bear possession for 5 books and it's resolved in one sentence in a flashback saying now he's dealt with it.

Ce'Nedra was apparently supposed to show maturity and growth, but I think she showed very little progression. It's hard to root for this obno
Nicole
I think the Belgariad series is one of the best fantasy stories about a boy's coming of age. It predates this crazy onslaught of market-driven writers who hope to make a quick name, a huge splash, and a lot of money all in the name of the written word. In fact, if you compare the quality of Eddings' writing with that of many of the big names in young adult fantasy today (though I believe it's not intended for a young adult audience specifically), you'll see that the scales will tip quite heavily ...more
Jesse
Alright, this concludes my complete re-read of this series (until I start the second one...). There was a lot in this book that I didn't remember. In fact, the ending was much better than I remembered; an epic scene of the protagonist fighting a massive god-in-the-flesh in the abondoned city of his preisthood. Pretty good.

The plot structure is mixed up a bit from previous books, as the all the characters have split into two groups and are traveling in different directions...to the same goal.

As w
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

The fate of the world depends on one duel. Garion is now the King of Riva, but he knows there will be no peace as long as Torak lives. Garion along with Belgarath and Silk set out to find him. In order to keep Torak’s forces focus away from Garion, and also to keep the peace in the West, Ce’Nedra has gathered her forces and is ready to take on the Angarak’s. With Garion getting close to Torak, he knows he will have
M.J.
The fifth and final book in Edding's Belgariad series has a distinctly "Return of the King" flavour, but it is dogged by many of the same problems found in the earlier books. While the bulk of the fellowship is leading the armies of the west into battle with the assembled army of the forces of evil, a smaller part of the fellowship ventures into the dark city where the sleeping god waits to be be reawoken as an object of great and terrible power that he desires is brought ever closer. The two co ...more
Whitney
Slobodan
ENCHANTER’S END GAME brings THE BELGARIAD saga to an end. I remember this series being much more enjoyable when I first read it as a teenager. The reason being that now after reading this final edition, I, found it somewhat naïve. What I mean by that is at times I felt like there wasn't enough depth and structure. It all plays out too quickly and by happenstance. Here is a great prophecy that the whole UNIVERSE is depending on and it is settled in a few swings of swords and the rebuke by Belgari ...more
Ryan
Kurtbg
Here ends the Belgariad by David Eddings. What is it?
A fantasy series about righting a world where a god went mad with jealousy over a bauble his older brother created. Well, as all younger brothers are (except mine) he steals the bauble and tries to use it to rule the world. The Bauble strikes back! It maims the insecure god and puts him into a sleep until... enter the one human born to deal with him... he's the son of... no, silly, not a god, but of a line of magicians who serve a god. Well, t
Elisabeth
After two weeks of constant reading I’ve come to the end of the Belgariad. I have been thrown into adventures that almost made me fear for the characters’ lives and I have been swept away by the main characters’ extraordinary personalities. My favourites, besides Garion, are of course Belgarath, Polgara, Ce’Nedra, Silk, Mandorallen, Barak…. When I come to think about it, I love them all!
Before Belgariad, I’ve never been a fan of Fantasy novels but after Eddings’ magnificent masterpiece I feel th
alice
Un buon finale per un bella saga!!
Ora posso dare un giudizio totale a tutta la saga e gli do 4/5.
I personaggi sono stupendi. Tutti i libri sono caratterizzati da una sottile ironia che nemmeno nei momenti critici della guerra si è spenta. Ogni personaggio è fedele a sè stesso e questo è davvero bello.
Le preoccupazioni di Garion davanti al matrimonio mi hanno divertito tantissimo, aveva appena ucciso un Dio, ma la possibilità di non soddisfare Ce'Nedra lo terrorizza!!
Davvero una bella storia, con
Stuart Langridge

THE DRIVE OF PROPHECY

David Lanyon
An ending.

I wrote a brief review for book one. Now the series is finished I'll add some more words about the series.

Brief review:
The final books wraps up the main quest/story line, bring the characters to a final dramatic meeting. Eddings continues his characteristic prose and storytelling, drawing the reader along for a journey across ??? (I just realized the world has no name) the western kingdoms. The book gives us glimpses into events transpiring in the various western kingdoms while the ma
Susan
I am giving the review for the entire Belgariad as it is somewhat impossible to separate the different books from the story as a whole.

This, overall is a good set of quest, fantasy stories. I read and re-read them often when I was younger. As I move from place-to-place as an adult the series is one that I continue to take with me; it is a series that I still read here and there when I am looking for 'comfort food' books.

The books are what you would expect from a quest journey series - a young pr
***Dave Hill
Greg Strandberg
I have to say, I liked this series...but mainly for the first books. Book 1 and 2 were great, Books 3 and 4 kind of saw my interest wander a bit, and Book 5 may well have been me going through the motions.

Still, I'd like to read the first couple of books in this series again, some day, and maybe the last as well.

If you're looking for some good Coming of Age fantasy and some good maps and world-building, this is a really good series.
Grace S.
Huh. You know, as an ending, that kind of fizzled.

Tons of time spent lolling around in army logistics, only to culminate in a duel that has me humming "A little less conversation, a little more action..."

I mean, Garion did just (view spoiler)...right? I know there was a sword involved, but seriously.

Then of course the colt-reviving scene of book 3 was finally revealed to be foreshadowing. Like I said in my brief Castle of Wizardry review, t
Michael Murdoch
The quest was over. The Orb of Aldur was restored. And once again, with the crowning of Garion, there was a descendant of Riva Iron-grip to rule as Overlord of the West. But the Prophecy was unfulfilled. In the east, the evil God Torak was about to awaken and seek dominion. Somehow, Garion had to face the God, to kill or be killed. On the outcome of that dread duel rested the destiny of the world. Now, accompanied by his grandfather, the ancient sorcerer Belgarath, Garion headed toward the City ...more
Anne Wright
Sep 30, 2014 Anne Wright rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all fantacy book lovers
Enchanters End Game by David Eddings

The last book of the Belgariad. A wonderful fantasy adventure.

Belgarian is off on the trail going to confront Torak, He takes Belgareth and Silk with him and they travel fast across the country, they meet many people on the way and one of them is Yablek who wants to come over to the good side and Silk puts him in touch with Queen Porenn to pass information to the Kings.

The Kings are crossing the country with C'nedra who is raising an army as she goes to suppo
Dylan
This was a fantastic conclusion to the series. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves books. The author's writing is amazing, and his characters are so memorable, it's like you actually know these characters in real life. If you haven't read David Eddings, you've missed a treat.
J.P.
Enchanter's End Game had a lot less humor and action than the previous Belgariad novels. The Belgarath/Silk/Garion plot line was very good, but the Ce'Nedra/Army was a little dull with all of the battle planning. And I really didn't care about the problems of the queens at home. However, once the fighting got started, it was exciting, although I missed Garion. The ending was nice, and quite funny.

One thing I noticed was that Polgara and the Grolim Archpriests seemed to be on a friendly basis,
by Ax
Concludendo Belgariad

La conclusione della Saga regala maggiori emozioni dei libri precedenti: i protagonisti convergono tutti verso la battaglia ultima, che vede le forze del Bene contrastare quelle del Male.
Il quadro generale dell'intero ciclo risulta, a mio modo di sentire, piacevolmente superficiale e in grado di affascinare lettori che pretendono solo di essere intrattenuti. La simpatia per Eddings rimane tale, ma con un maggiore tocco di personalità e spietatezza avrebbe potuto rendere immo
Gregory
This was a fantasy series I missed in my early teens when I was more into the genre. I probably would have enjoyed it more then, as it feels much more like a young adult fantasy series. The story is firmly in the mold of the traditional fantasy story, but unlike true masters like Tolkien and leGuin, I never really felt "in" the world. Most of the main characters have fairly exaggerated qualities (the wise-cracking thief, the naive young farmboy, the overly noble knight, the blood thirsty warrior ...more
Esk
*zucht* Het is uit! Geweldige serie! Ik ga gewoon meteen door met het vervolg :-)
Baylee
Ebbene, la serie è finita, andate in pace. Questo è più o meno ciò che ho pensato arrivata alla conclusione di La fine del gioco. Tutto è bene quel che finisce bene – soprattutto se è senza sorprese.

O meglio, forse la sorpresa avrebbe dovuto esserci, ma non mi ha impressionata più di tanto. Un viaggio molto lungo per arrivare al dunque, tanti e complessi preparativi perché la famosa Profezia “buona” si compisse e poi? Il povero – si fa per dire – Torak viene liquidato con pochi colpi di spada e
The Nerd Herd: Enchanters' End Game 1 3 Feb 22, 2014 01:48PM
ONTD Book Club: The End 1 6 Feb 28, 2013 02:03PM
  • Rise of a Merchant Prince (The Serpentwar Saga, #2)
  • Serpent Mage (The Death Gate Cycle, #4)
  • Days of Air and Darkness (The Westlands, #4)
  • The Elfstones Of Shannara  (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #2)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 2)
  • Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)
  • The Quest for Saint Camber (The Histories of King Kelson, #3)
David Eddings was an American author who has written several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, is uncredited as co-author on many of his early books, but he has lately acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he
More about David Eddings...
Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3) Belgarath the Sorcerer Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4) Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1) Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, #2)

“The quality of student work has definitely gone downhill since they discontinued the use of the whipping post.
-Silk”
5 likes
“The jeers that had risen as Barak’s and Greldik’s ships had been manoeuvred onto their wheeled carriages turned rather quickly into angry mutterings as the carriages, pulled by teams of Algar horses, rolled effortlessly toward the escarpment past men straining with every ounce of strength to move their ships a few inches at a time. To leave it all to artistry, Barak and Greldik ordered their men to lounge indolently on the decks of their ships, drinking ale and playing dice.
King Anheg stared very hard at his impudently grinning cousin as the big ship rolled past. His expression was profoundly offended. “That’s going too far!” he exploded, jerking off his dented crown and throwing it down on the ground.”
3 likes