Start by marking “The Business of Fancydancing” as Want to Read:
The Business of Fancydancing

The Business of Fancydancing

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,668 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Poetry. Fiction. Published in 1992, well before Sherman Alexie became well-known as the screenwriter for the film SMOKE SIGNALS, THE BUSINESS OF FANCYDANCING has now been turned into a film with none other than Alexie himself in his directorial debut. The screenplay for the movie, which recently won the Audience Award at the San Francisco Film Festival, is loosly adapted f ...more
Published May 1st 1992 by Hanging Loose Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Business of Fancydancing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Business of Fancydancing

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman AlexieBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealLove Medicine by Louise ErdrichCeremony by Leslie Marmon Silko
Native American Fiction
100th out of 588 books — 532 voters
Blue is the Warmest Color by Julie MarohThe Color Purple by Alice WalkerBrokeback Mountain by Annie ProulxThe Danish Girl by David EbershoffAngels in America, Part One by Tony Kushner
GLBT books made into films
57th out of 103 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Emma
Jun 07, 2008 Emma rated it really liked it
After reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian last summer, I decided to work my way through Alexie's oeuvre since I had already also read and enjoyed Reservation Blues. Two short story collections and one novel later, I was done. Not in that my task was completed but in that I couldn't take anymore. Then The Business of Fancydancing came into my possession after waiting about six months for it. Unwilling to let the book go after waiting so long for it, I decided to see what the f ...more
Mar 12, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Thomas Builds-The-Fire left me crying in a Starbucks.
Steven
Apr 24, 2008 Steven rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, poetry
His first book, the most raw, the least structurally organized, and in some ways the most powerful. It's almost like, lacking the formal tools, he writes with the only thing he knows—unfiltered emotion. Mostly poems in this book. Just five stories, most very short; you can see that he is just starting to move from poems to prose narratives.
Tom McDade
Nov 04, 2014 Tom McDade rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-fiction, poetry
One of the pieces I liked a lot:

Eugene Boyd Don't Drink Here Anymore

The Stranger walks into the bar, orders a beer, and asks me where
the hell Eugene Boyd is, and I tell him, he got shot last year in the
parking lot of the Gold Coin, man, he's dead. The Stranger looks
me in the eyes, looks the whole bar straight in the eyes, and drinks
his beer in one drink. Who the hell did it, the Stranger asks me,
and I tell him that everyone knows but the police ain't going to do
anything about it because when o
Ryan Dunk
Feb 20, 2013 Ryan Dunk rated it it was ok
Shelves: native-lit, poetry
I wonder if it's my inexperience with verse or my understanding and appreciation for Alexie's later work that have the stronger effect on my perception of this collection. Overall, I felt like the poems were overwrought and even perhaps a bit trite. Alexie usually does a great job of balancing the serious themes of his work with moments of humor. This has the effect, at least to me, of making his more serious moments that much more powerful, and giving a more realistic portrayal of contemporary ...more
Renee
Jan 20, 2014 Renee rated it liked it
3.5 stars!
The Business of Fancydancing" is another collection of some great short stories and mostly poetry by a brilliant writer.Sherman Alexie is one of my favorite authors but this book did not move me the way all of his other works did.

Typically, I find myself re-reading pages of his novels because his descriptions remind me of a sucker punch-hard hitting and void of warning; not this time.

Mary Helene
Jul 04, 2010 Mary Helene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Painful - but insightful. I've read his later books (most recently The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian, which is marvelously accessible to all kinds of readers,) and his humor and hope sustain one through the pain. This is his first book, and the pain is more raw, but the humor is still there. I am wondering if I might have the courage to look at despair as he does.
p.s. I write my review before reading other reviews - and then I go on to avidly read what others think. If you do that
Graili
Apr 24, 2016 Graili rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, canadian-lit
Sherman Alexie’s first book of poems, The Business of Fancydancing, was published by Hanging Loose Press in 1992. The book is divided into three sections, with the poems in each section based on one central theme. The themes are distance, evolution and development, and crazy horse dreams (dreams that are impossible, but still full of hope). As well, the poems feature recurring characters and themes, such as alcoholism, poverty, cultural appropriation, and death (his father's in particular).
The r
Nicole
Jan 29, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, poetry
This collection of poetry and short stories has the power to knock the wind out of you from moment to moment, sometimes with a completely exhaled breath of despair, and at other times with a gasp of laughter - sometimes one right after the other. The poems Evolution and Father Coming Home deserve to be widely anthologized. The poems Powwow and The Reservation Cab Driver are very funny, yet sad at the same time. The short story Special Delivery is exceptional and will stay with me for quite some ...more
Ben Klayer
Aug 07, 2015 Ben Klayer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
A friend recommended that I start reading Sherman Alexie in chronological order. Since "Fancydancing" is the first book he published, I picked it up and began reading.

I cannot wait to grab more of his works.

Quite simply, I am impressed with Alexie's profound imagery. He isn't very abstract or over-the-top. Instead, he focuses on making metaphors out of everyday things, like sandwhiches and basketball games.

Furthermore, Alexie doesn't fluff his poems. Honestly, they are pretty bare-bones, and mos
Julie
Jun 04, 2011 Julie rated it liked it
(3.5 stars)

The first time I read Sherman Alexie was in my freshman year of college, nearly eight years ago. I took a class that focused entirely on reading the works of women and persons of color, and one of the first books we read was The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. I loved that book so much I read it twice, and I hardly ever read anything twice. I received this collection of Alexie's poems and short stories -- his first book -- from my best friend a long time ago and only now go
Eirian Houpe
Jan 22, 2013 Eirian Houpe rated it it was amazing
Poems and Stories to Connect with the Soul

It is hard to know where to begin in a review of this collection of stories and poems evocative of the life and culture of the Native American people in today's society; life on the reservation, simply to say that the writing is fantastic... excellent and opens up your heart and soul to the myriad emotions held up like a mirror, right in your face.

The language used is both poetic and earthy, uncomfortable at times, and yet makes you listen, draws you in
Greta
Nov 19, 2015 Greta rated it it was amazing
Sherman Alexie has a way of writing about the people he invents as if they are all friends, foes or family. With most of the action taking place close to where we live, I can relate. His voice is deeply moving.
Hannah
Dec 27, 2009 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Sherman Alexie has a way with words, a way to bend them to be so beautiful and so heartbreaking, so real. I love his poetry just like I love Flannery O'Connor's short stories (I just finished reading Everything That Rises Must Converge as well) - they are both comfortingly predictable writers. And Alexie is not consistent in a boring way. His stories are always new but recall upon the same dreams and characters, so that you feel you can share in his world, almost as if you and he are old friends ...more
Rebecca
Dec 09, 2007 Rebecca rated it liked it
pretty much perfect...moments of brilliant vision, and comic phrasing of tragic stuff, made me think more about the twisted past and present of this country, american indians, reservations, and me--but I loved Flight and Absolutely True Diary a million times more, personally....so for my star system to mean anything I guess have to go with three stars for this one. ...partly that has to do with the printing though--I'm not down with gritty independent poetry private-publishing books, with tweake ...more
Gina
Mar 30, 2014 Gina rated it liked it
It was really pretty heartbreaking. The poetry is pretty free-form, and the language is not usually elegant, but the picture is created and the feelings are felt.
K.m.
Feb 28, 2014 K.m. rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
While I am always wooed by Alexie's lyric chops, I prefer his more worn-in voice. This feels more youthful, less integrated, than some of his other work but still chock full of the raw goodness.

"All us stoic Indians rehearsing for parts as extras in some eternal black and white western. Shit, used to be only whites expected Skins to have monosyllabic faces, but now, we even expect it of each other."
From Eugene Boyd Don't Drink Here Anymore
Karrie Stewart
Oct 18, 2015 Karrie Stewart rated it really liked it
Such raw emotion with these poems and short stories. I did recognize a few names from The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.
Ashley
Sherman Alexie's first book is a little too esoteric for me. I have the same problems with it that I have with some of the stories in his other books, but as always, he's at the very least extremely engaging. Only read this if you are a fan, and I'd most definitely recommend that you read The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven and The Toughest Indian in the World (which contains my favorite story of his, "Dear John Wayne").
Mirrani
Dec 22, 2012 Mirrani rated it it was amazing
A short book full of poems and stories centered on modern life around the reservation. There are times when the writing is deep and emotional, times when it is laid back and thoughtful and times when the story is only that; a story told to those who are listening. It is all very modern-creative type writing with a deeper meaning settled somewhere within, but it is all so beautifully done that you might just find yourself revisiting the book again and again. You might even have a different experi ...more
Isadora Wagner
May 22, 2014 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Damn.
Rachel
Sep 12, 2010 Rachel added it
Confronting myself with other realities. Literature scares me the most when I go so far out of my constellations of referents that I can't even discern for myself a language for talking about what I've just read. I'm much more comfortable with Alexie's YA work.

Indian Boy Long Song (#1,2,3,4) was the most accessible to me.

This collection gives permission to publish chapbooks that are in series, stories and poems together, prose and verse mixing and informing each other.

Sherman Alexie I love you.
Richard
Feb 08, 2016 Richard rated it it was amazing
very nice.
Crystal
This is an interesting collection of poems and brief essays/short stories. I think it was intentional, but the written word begs the reader to wonder about the truthfulness of what is on the page. There was a continual question about what is autobiographical and what is fiction and does that matter. Does the reader need to know where that line is drawn? Does it affect us if something is strictly true or fabricated? Do we need the story to have actually happened for us to interact with it?
Derek
Mar 11, 2014 Derek rated it really liked it
talked about it here: http://www.5cense.com/14/353.htm
David
Dec 30, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Though this is pretty early on for Alexie, this has some really good stuff in it. It may not hit the same heights as some of his later writing, but you can see in it where he is going to go later. And, as with some of his other collections, I like getting some of his poetry mixed in with some of his prose. I'm less likely to pick up a book of pure poetry and this way I still get to see some of Alexie's poetry. All in all, this is a good collection and I'm glad I read it.
Janie
Feb 23, 2013 Janie rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, pnw, shorts
The Good
Favorite poem: "Grandmother"

The Other(wise)
This was like a bad dream where you can't figure out what the story is but it is very important that you know what it is. Some atrocity happened and will happen and you can't amend or avoid it.

I may not have gone on with the whole thing if I didn't already know and love Alexie stories.

The Line
for my 2013-Books found poem:
- "Me, closing my eyes."
Beth
Nov 28, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
Great first book-left me wanting to read more Alexie.
  • In Mad Love and War
  • All Our Relations: Native Struggles for Land and Life
  • Sovereign Erotics: A Collection of Two-Spirit Literature
  • Skins
  • Winter in the Blood
Sherman J. Alexie, Jr., was born in October 1966. A Spokane/Coeur d'Alene Indian, he grew up on the Spokane Indian Reservation in Wellpinit, WA, about 50 miles northwest of Spokane, WA. Alexie has published 18 books to date.
Alexie is an award-winning and prolific author and occasional comedian. Much of his writing draws on his experiences as a modern Native American. Sherman's best known works in
More about Sherman Alexie...

“Everyone I have lost
in the closing of a door
the click of the lock

is not forgotten, they
do not die but remain
within the soft edges
of the earth, the ash

of house fires and cancer
in sin and forgiveness
huddled under old blankets

dreaming their way into
my hands, my heart
closing tight like fists.

- "Indian Boy Love Song #1”
94 likes
“and then she asks me how many sexual partners I've had and I say one or two
depending on your definition of what I did to Custer . . .”
11 likes