Start by marking “Ten Little Indians” as Want to Read:
Preview

Ten Little Indians

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  4,396 ratings  ·  391 reviews
Paperback
Published (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Little Indians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Little Indians

Katie
Two hours ago, I said I was going to bed, and then I thought, "I'll just read a little to calm myself before bed," which is what I usually do, but which was a poor decision in this instance. Now I have finished with the book, and I have wept all over my pillow, and now I can never read this book again for the first time and there are no pillow stores open at this hour, so fuck everything.

I don't even know if I can talk about it. You read these stories and the tone is so unironic, so attached, so
Anne
Awesome book. Very funny, deadpan. Also eye-opening, in that I had no idea there was (apparently, insofar as the stories are realisms) so much anti-Native racism in the Northwest. His dialogue is fantastic, especially when people talk past each other. Most people seem to think the "9/11 story" or the last, longest story are the show-stoppers; it certainly has the longest stretches of hard-fought transformation, and features a man and his (dying) father, and actually, like many of Alexie's storie ...more
Babs
I picked this book up because I really wanted to read Alexie's other short story collection - The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven (fabulous title!) and couldn't find it at the time. I'm not a fan of short stories, and I didn't enjoy this collection. But I can say that in my opinion the stories are well-written and if "bold, uncensored, raucous, and sexy" is your thing, then you might really enjoy the book. The story I enjoyed the most was "What You Pawn I Will Redeem" - telling the sto ...more
Stephanie
This is Alexie's PERFECT short story collection. Alexie is able to portray gender, poverty, humor, grief and death throughout these stories. I was most impressed by the way Alexie is able to "accurately" portray women and give them a voice through his own. There's a deep understanding of what it is to be human and what it is to live - to live darkly, to live humorously, to live with grief, to live with love.
Matt
Hmmm....after absolutely loving The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, this one was a little disappointing. And it's funny, because there were some stories (like "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" and "The Search Engine") that revealed the same open-hearted, funny writer that I loved in Part-Time Indian. There were others that just didn't ring quite as deeply true and one ("Can I Get a Witness?") that I found actively distasteful. I still look forward to reading more Alexie -- ...more
Leanne
3.5 stars!

My favorites:
"Do You Know Where I Am?"
"What You Pawn I Will Redeem"

Honorable Mentions:
"The Search Engine"
"What Ever Happened To Frank Snake Church?"

It's a personal preference, but I like short stories with a definitive ending. Even if stories end on a somewhat ambiguous note, it should feel natural -- almost like it doesn't make sense for it end any other way. Or, at least that's what I like. "Do You Know Where I Am?" ends perfectly. For some of the others, it feels like Alexie just w
Meghan Fidler
Titled after a fantastic dialog between two non-white men as they described their identities to one another, (in describing his Spokane Identity, the protagonist in "Flight patterns" describes himself not as a 'bejeweled' Indian from India, but the 'bows-and-arrows Indian to a cabbie. The cabby replies, "Oh, you mean ten little, nine little eight little Indians?"), this collection of short stories by Sherman Alexie showcases his talent at describing social relationships. I admire his ability to ...more
Jim Cherry
Ten Little Indians is a book of nine short stories by Sherman Alexie each dealing with trying to come to terms with lives that are no longer traditional and they need to fit into American culture. Each story is linked not by characters or even setting (even though all the stories are set in Seattle), but by ideas and themes.

The most obvious example are the Indians (that’s what they call themselves) in the stories are searching for new ceremonies for the lives they lead outside of tribal systems,
megan
This is book is a collection of short stories about identifying as a Native American. I found a lot of the stories related to "identifying as a Native American after 9/11"--or at least that was certainly a component to the story. When I checked how old the book was, it looked as though it had been written in 2003, so obviously this was a poignant subject for Mr. Alexie. Also, many of the stories mentioned George W. Bush, so this was obviously a real-life character that was having a strong impact ...more
Jenn
I love Alexie's storytelling and love his insights into life, but I felt that this collection - with the exception of the last two stories - was a repetition of former themes and a conglomeration of familiar characters. Although the last two stories, especially "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem," are excellent, they still have some retread feel to them. His collection The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven is absolutely transcendent as far as style and storytelling. I also deeply love many of ...more
Lindsay
I'm still trying to figure out how to say this:

The thing I like best about short story collections (by a single author), if they're written well and compiled well, is the feeling I get, after reading each story, of comprehending an intimate secret the author needed me to understand. Poetry and novels both can (and do) knock me out, but there's something about the short story that can really get into my blood.

I am in love with this book. I couldn't get enough of it while I was reading it. It acco
Christina
Mar 08, 2008 Christina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in a some good, bittersweet stories
Shelves: read-it-loved-it
This is a book that asks you to look deep inside and ask, "Who are you?". A series of short stories of Indians living off the Rez, struggling with their cultural identities. Each story is about relationships, whether good or bad and how they impact your life and color your identity. There ared definitely some mis-steps, as I found "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and "Do You Know Where I Am" to be over-long and vague.

You will find so much to laugh and cry over, whether its a young, b
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.0 Stars - Best Story: The Search Engine

I really enjoyed Alexie's young adult, Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian, so I was eager to finally pick up his short story collection. The opening story, The Search Engine, was my favourite short story in the collection, providing both a honest commentary on the Native American experience as well as a healthy dose of humour. However, the varying degrees, the other stories felt a bit off to bit. I'm hardly a conservative reader, but I felt that
Valerie
These short stories were packed. There were some marvelous insights about gender and identity. I don't usually read short stories, but I have been a fan of Mr. Alexie for a long time, and I was reminded of him when he was interviewed by Stephen Colbert recently. The next day I found a copy of this hard cover remaindered and decided to read it. I bought his young adult novel for my son as a present, and I might read that next.http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colb...
Sucia Dhillon
One of my favorite collections of short stories. I loved how Alexie reeled me in and had me share in his human experience. My favorite was the old basketball player one (forgot the official title). A close runner up was the first one, about the girl who tracks down the guy who wrote the Indian poems. I loved how this revealed that sensation we all get when we think we've got the answer, and then realize that it was a farce, or just a smoke screen, and then all we have left is ourselves.
Felix Purat
I first heard of Sherman Alexie from Natives I knew in the Humboldt County area; then I read a short story by him in an Existentialism class I took, which proved to be a curious thing (the story happened to be What You Pawn I Will Redeem, which is in this book). Surprised by how much easier it is to find Native literature in Paris, France, than in the overwhelming majority of the US, I decided to read more Alexie, starting with this collection of stories, Ten Little Indians.

My favourite stories
Aaron
I grabbed it without really knowing it was a collection of short stories, not sure I would have done that had I been paying more attention.

With that said, I wanted to read it because of the first story "Search Engine" and wasn't disappointed in that story. I only wish it had gone on to be the entire book like I erroneously thought it was. The rest of the stories were ok, but nothing truly remarkable or "life changing." Good, but not great.
Samantha
I'm not a "trigger warnings" kind of person, but if you have a paralyzing fear of flying and you think you can handle a short flight by substituting Xanax for a glass of wine and a good book, don't make it this book. Two of the stories deal with terrorism and 9/11 and you won't be able to enjoy what I'm sure is probably an excellent collection of short stories.
Michael
Oct 11, 2007 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone over 14
Just read it. This is my favorite work by Sherman Alexie. He is a master of short story, and he writes about the topic he knows best: Northwest Indians living in poverty. Basketball finds its way into many stories; Alexie is obviously an avid enthusiast. He writes from the heart. What a joy to read.
Rebecca
This must have been an EXCELLENT book. I am not a fan of short stories, but I read and enjoyed them all. I think my favorite was the one with Corliss and the poetry. This was one of the "everybody reads" selections for 2013 for the Multnomah County Library. https://multcolib.org/everybody-reads
Jamie Rolleston
I am not a fan of short stories, generally speaking. However, I couldn't put this book down. As a Māori woman (indigenous to New Zealand) this book resonated with me in a huge way. I admire the way the author has challenged the stereotypes that indigenous people face daily, whether those stereo types come from within or without.
The ease with which he was able to write as a male or a female character amazed and the characters were quick to grasp you and hang on to the reader until the end of each
Sharlene
Originally posted at http://olduvaireads.wordpress.com/201...

Sometimes you chance upon books by fate, others by the placement of library shelves.

My most often frequented shelves in the library, other than the children’s section, are the Hold shelves. I do a lot of book holds, which can be tricky as the library only allows TEN HOLDS! And it’s an Argh ARGH situation as I request books for myself and the more popular picture books for the kids.

But because the Holds shelves are located perpendicular
Jonathan Hiskes
My to-read shelf has plenty of books by writers new to me, but I just felt like reading more Sherman. If you'r new to him, start with any of his five most recent books.
Kaj Peters
Het zijn bundels zoals deze waardoor ik korte verhalen meer en meer begin te waarderen. De zakelijke schrijfstijl van Sherman Alexie komt uitstekend tot zijn recht in het beperkte aantal bladzijdes per verhaal. Sommige verhalen zijn wat langer dan andere verhalen, maar nergens voelt het alsof het ene beter uitgewerkt is dan het andere.

In elk opzicht is het dus een compleet werk dat een menselijk beeld schetst van Native Americans die op zoek zijn naar hun eigen identiteit. Aan de ene kant halen
Katrina
enjoyed every story...
Sam Orndorff
It's going to hurt you so bad to read this. Like why have i waited my entire life to see these stories? rise from the dead and give new meaning to the ghost world. The world shines like after a hard thunderstorm when the Nitrogen cycle has completed it's loop from the electricity in the air that makes the plants more green.

Sherman Alexie is the best story teller in the world. I deliberately go out of my way not to brazenly spout superlatives, because it bugs me to hear "best ___ ever" so often.
Steve Lundh
I like the style of Alexie's writing, real, a bit gritty and honest. Ten Little Indians like the other two books of his I have read, are stories that I think reflect his own upbringing and the things he has seen and experience or at least watched happen. As a white guy, I find so much of what he writes depressing more because I know it is real and that is sad to me. There is so much that North American Indians can offer but the rez just seems to beat it out of most. There are sparks of hope and ...more
Andy Miller
A great collection of short stories. All focused on Native American characters but there is great diversity in the lives of the characters and the themes of stories--from a smart, poor college student with her whole future ahead of her, to economically successful Native Americans some with a full life to match and others with inner demons that haunt that success to finally, the alcoholic, down on their luck Native Americans that Alexie brings to life.

My favorites:

"The Search Engine" about a you
Jamilla Rice
Now, just to let you know, Sherman Alexie is like meth with me. I get a hit and I have to keep going, sometimes losing sleep, until I have run through my stash. Then I start getting itchy all over wanting more. I was addicted from the first time I saw Smoke Signals, but I became absolutely enraptured from the moment I read the first line in "Every Little Hurricane", the first short story in his collection The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven which includes the title story that was the b ...more
  • Genocide of the Mind: New Native American Writing
  • Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories
  • By the Lake of Sleeping Children
  • The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse
  • The Emperor's Babe
Sherman J. Alexie, Jr., was born in October 1966. A Spokane/Coeur d'Alene Indian, he grew up on the Spokane Indian Reservation in Wellpinit, WA, about 50 miles northwest of Spokane, WA. Alexie has published 18 books to date.
Alexie is an award-winning and prolific author and occasional comedian. Much of his writing draws on his experiences as a modern Native American. Sherman's best known works in
More about Sherman Alexie...
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven Flight Reservation Blues The Toughest Indian in the World

“She wanted to be buried in a coffin filled with used paperbacks. ” 96 likes
“Corliss wondered what happens to a book that sits unread on a library shelf for thirty years. Can a book rightfully be called a book if it never gets read?...

'How many books never get checked out," Corliss asked the librarian.

'Most of them,' she said.

Corliss never once considered the fate of library books. She loved books. How could she not worry about the unread? She felt like a disorganized scholar, an abusive mother, and a cowardly soldier.

'Are you serious?' Corliss asked. 'What are we talking about here? If you were guessing, what is the percentage of books in this library that never get checked out?'

'We're talking sixty percent of them. Seriously. Maybe seventy percent. And I'm being optimistic. It's probably more like eighty or ninety percent. This isn't a library, it's an orphanage.'

The librarian talked in a reverential whisper. Corliss knew she'd misjudged this passionate woman. Maybe she dressed poorly, but she was probably great in bed, certainly believed in God and goodness, and kept an illicit collection of overdue library books on her shelves.”
31 likes