Start by marking “Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)

Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  91,562 ratings  ·  6,564 reviews
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father—an elusive European warlock—only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishme ...more
Published March 2nd 2010 by Hyperion Book CH

To ask other readers questions about Hex Hall, please sign up.

Laura I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 22.
Rachel A mix of European (or European-American) and Asian parentage.
City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
75th out of 20,032 books — 53,932 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareShiver by Maggie StiefvaterCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Judge A Book By Its Cover!
26th out of 3,896 books — 8,216 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristi
I've wanted to be a witch forever. Long before anyone uttered the words Harry & Potter. You see, there was this awesome movie called Teen Witch. Have you seen it? Well the girl finds out she is witch, turns her little brother into a dog, gets to meet a famous singer AND snags the most popular boy at school. All because she had magical powers. I so wanted to be a witch.

Perhaps that is why I loved this book so much, or maybe it's because Hex Hall is a laugh-out-load, fast paced and easy read.
Jo
OK, I originally gave this 3.5 stars.. but I have decided just to give it 4 stars.

“I’m experiencing some teenage angst, Mrs Casnoff,” I answered. “I need to, like, write it in my journal or something.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Wow, I read that book in about five hours…. I probably should get some food. Laughter is the only sustenance I need.

High Points.
Groundskeepers.

Sorry, what was the question?
Sophie. Jenna. Boarding school. MAGICAL BOARDING SCHOOL FOR DELINQUENT PARANORMALS. Ghosts. Flirt
Wendy Darling
Fun! This book really grew on me. It took several tries to get past the first couple of chapters, but once Sophie finally gets settled in at Hex Hall things start moving along. The witchy battles are pretty cool, there's good build-up of the mystique behind the school and behind Sophie's past and powers, and the author does a nice job with creating a variety of different characters with distinctive voices. I especially liked BFF Jenna and the super cute and witty Archer, and Sophie herself turns ...more
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
Reviewed by Laura for Book Chick City. Rating 7/10 on the blog.

The cover of this book is oddly deceiving. When I first looked at it, I wasn't sure if the book would be for me. As it looked a little bit too YA for my taste. How could I be so wrong?

This book is hilarious! Full on, laugh out loud funny. It's like a cross between Harry Potter and Mean Girls meets Sabrina.

Sophie is a witch. Having never met her father, she has been raised by her human mother and has had no magical education. But when
Rachel E. Carter
I really liked Archer but I wasn't very drawn into the plot or the main character. The author has a fun, fast-paced writing style that is easy to follow and plenty of humor to go around, but I was not a fan of the cliff-hanger ending for a first book in a series. I will get around to the sequel at some point but this is one of my more light-hearted fantasy reads. I think it would have been a hit for my middle school self:)
chucklesthescot
Emily May

I was so pleasantly surprised by this book, almost as surprised as I am by the fact that I actually decided to read it. I'd all but given up on young adult novels that feature any of the following: vampires, werewolves, witches, shifters, fairies, angels, demons... you get the idea. Young adult fantasy and urban fantasy seems to have been constantly churning out more of the same, but Hex Hall really ticked all the right boxes for me.

Granted, a boarding school for witches and whatnot isn't exactl
Alexandra Bracken
HEX HALL is an insanely fun, hilarious, and HOT book! I can't even tell you how many times I laughed out loud (or had to put the book down because I was laughing so hard)! Sophie Mercer is now officially one of my favorite heroines and I just might be a little bit in love with Archer Cross, too. :) I can't say enough wonderful things about this book, only that you need to pick it up ASAP when it debuts next March. I'm only sad that I have to wait so long to read the next book in the series!!
Annabeth Stone
This book was pretty good. There was action, suspense, and some romance. The main character was witty and any reader would be able to relate to them since she had boy, friend, family and identity problems. This book occasionally reminded me of Harry Potter because of some of the teachers being both harsh and grandmotherly at times. Rachel Hawkins also captured the rea high school life and drama in this with their own version of Prom, cliques, relationships, and talking about teachers behind thei ...more
Lucy
My main impression from the book is that it's meant for the very bottom of the age spectrum it's being marketed for. I'd say 10-14 years old because the writing is extremely simplistic. Of course, there's a lot of dead teenagers flying around so it's a weird mix of older, more mature themes and fairly immature writing. The world building is so-so. There wasn't a lot of depth here despite being charming in a general kind of way. Female Harry Potter, Sophie Mercer is not, but still fanatic Potter ...more
Sophia.
Harry Potter :
Magic Castle. Forbidden forest. Courses to learn spells. Werewolves. Very powerful headmaster. Special relationship between headmaster and one student. Said student appears to be the Chosen One. Humble, but still very gifted.

Anna and the French Kiss :
Boarding school. Girl doesn't want to be here. On her first day, meets lesbian roommate and hottest boy in school. Then meets Queen Bee and is bullied.
Doesn't talk to Dad but likes Mom okay. Earns detention, and ends up with hottest
Gabriella ♡
Super duper cute!

The main problem with books like this is that you don't know how to value them. You liked it because it's funny and with magic, but you know that it's a simple book too. A short book that in a way doesn't tell anything particular.
This is the way I feel about this book. I liked it a lot, but it wasn't a masterpiece.
Anyway, Sophie is one of the most funny characters I read about. I mean, only Gwendolyn from Rubinrot, Saphirblau and Smaragdgrün is funnier than her xD
I loved a lot
oliviasbooks
Meh-meh. I really think that a bEarding-school story would have been far more orginal than this "followed-all-baking-instructions-for-paranomal-young-adult" boarding-school girly-girl, let's-kiss-the-presumably-hot-and-bad-but-taken warlock, "three-mean-girls-shall-you-be" witchy-washy is.

Please pat me on my back! Finishing this with only skipping half a page now and then took almost all my witch-power for today.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**3.5 stars**

When my husband asked me what I was reading today, I summed this book up to him as, "Harry Potter chick lit". I meant that as a complement. "Hex Hall" is a really adorable and spunky YA paranormal read. It is what Mythos Academy tried to be before it fell miserably short. I was shocked at how much fun I had reading this book.

The most successful parts of this story were the characters and the witty dialogue. Sophie was an awesome MC. She was funny (I surprised myself by laughing out
Ash Wednesday
Jun 24, 2014 Ash Wednesday rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Princess Diaries (IDK, don't ask me why)
Recommended to Ash Wednesday by: YA-MA Scavenger Hunt Challenge
3 STARS
”Come on, Sophia!” she called. “Be traditional for once!”

Seeing as a young witch getting sent to a Magical School is brimming with creativity and originality.

To be fair, Hecate/Hex Hall was more of a lazy derivation of Hogwarts than an effort to be in the same league. I suspect any other attempt at imagining a school in the context of Fantasy will be branded as such and this smartly capitalized on its presumed strengths in other areas. Unfortunately, this felt like it placed all its egg
Elena
So freaking cute and hilarious!
Rachel Hawkins is a queen, when it comes to these terms! I've read Rebel Belle this year, fell in love and now it is one of my absolute favourites of this year. So, normally I had to read something else by this amazing author. Since I was 15 I was eyeing this book but unfortunately never picked it up. I'm so dumb.
I loved Hex Hall!
Our main protagonist is funny as hell. I just adored her wit and her sassiness!

I can't wait to continue with this series, especially aft
Mateja
Hex Hall is a delightfully entertaining and fun read. After the intensity of Shatter Me, reading this book was a perfect choice to slowly return me to the land of »normal«. But that's not to say that Hex Hall is all laughs and fun. There were some pretty intense and scary moments in this book too, but the witty banter is what really stuck with me.

I laughed out loud many times at Sophie's humorous remarks. She's very easy to like and care about. What I love the most about her is how she doesn't
Harriet
*4.5 WITCHY STARS!*

I really enjoyed this book I found it fun and entertaining! When I was younger I was one of those girls who wanted to be a witch I would watch all the witchy films and programmes.. My favourite being The Worst Witch and I couldn't help keep imagining it while reading this.
I loved that it was based in the school, I guess being a huge fan of Harry Potter I couldn't help but think of Hogwarts and when Sophie and the students would go to the hall for dinner and the teachers havi
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

My apologies in advance for what you are about to read. When I find my feelings about a book I’m reading are on the “meh” side, I tend to lose focus easily. I space out and take a lot of reading breaks. Sometimes the result of those distractions is a complete crap gif-filled mess instead of a review.

Sophie was just trying to cast a love spell that would make the quarterback ditch his cheer captain date and take the most unpopular girl
Nan
Apr 22, 2012 Nan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nan by: Trin
I've had my eye on this book since first seeing it in the First Reads list, but I didn't buy it right away. Something about the cover seemed too cute, and I didn't want to shell out the money for a hardcover only to be disappointed.

But then Trin read it and gave it a great review.

As Trin said, it's novels like this one that I look for when reading YA fiction. It's a great story, with fun characters, and it was funny. Hawkins is a gifted writer that knows when to be absurd and when to be serious.
Limonessa
To be precise: this book is a 4 star for execution, meaning it is fast paced, interesting, decently written.
It is a 1 star for originality though, being a total copy of Evernight in my opinion. Could it be any more obvious? While reading I had already started to think that I exactly pictured Hex Hall exactly like Evernight school, then thought well at least Sophie is a witch not a vampire like Bianca and Lucas... wait, no it's Archer and he is a bloody HUNTER too!! No way. I wanted to throw the
Abbi Glines
I love a book that can make me laugh. Although I am not feeling the Team Archer vibe after this book I will say that as far as romance this series has potential. The characters are all entertaining and keep you guessing. Best "witch" book I've read in awhile.
Colleen Houck
I think my favorite part of this book was the conjuring of fancy gowns for the Halloween ball. I'm a big fan of Project Runway and its fun to imagine creating your dress using magic. I'm getting started on Demonglass right away and I'm looking forward to reading more about what happens with these characters. Did not expect the turn of events towards the end of the book. I love surprises!
Stacia (the 2010 club)
3.5 stars as whole. The first half was entertaining but nothing exceptional. I decided to round up and give it a 4 star rating because the last 50 pages were a lot of fun and quite unexpected.

In lieu of a normal review, I have decided to veer from my usual wordy analysis of the book and instead leave you with some of my favorite passages :

"The guy next to her, he's the vamp," Jenna said through a mouthful of pie. She pointed to a really good looking guy in his thirties with black curly hair. "L
Sophie Riggsby
I read the ARC of HEX HALL in less than 24 hours. Yes, it was THAT good. In between dryer cycles, carpool lanes, ballet and swim lessons, I found myself laughing so hard that all heads, belonging to parents, would turn to look at me. And I didn't care, not one bit.

Rachel Hawkins' debut novel, HEX HALL, pushes the edges of YA urban fantasy with a blend of well written chick lit, sprinkled with liberal amounts of humor and a plot that dives into dark depths when you least expect it to take a twist
Ariel
THIS BOOK WAS SO MUCH FUN!

The characters were all awesome, the setting was great, and the plot was exciting!

I really enjoyed the main character, she was witty and snarky.

VIDEO REVIEW UP SOON :)
Jakira
HOLY. CRAP!

This is like so good!! The twists in this book is so crazy and that cliff-hanger is eating me up!
TOTALLY RECOMMEND IT:)

Genre: Fantasy/Magic/Supernatural/Romance
Series: The Hex Hall Trilogy- 1st Book

Goodreads Synopsis:
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
(This is an Adult-who-enjoys-reliving-the-stirrings-of-first-love-and-self-discovery-during-the-teen-years-through-YA books review)

Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

4 Stars

Hex Hall wasn’t quite Hexcellent, but was certainly enjoyable!
(...And lovely cover ^_^)

Sophie Mercer was sent to Hecate Hall a.k.a. Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent “Prodigium” (Witches, Warlocks, Shapehifters, and Fairies) after she performed a love spell at the prom, for a classmate, that went terribly wrong,
Heather
Hex Hall is narrated by Sophie Mercer, a 16-year-old who found out three years ago that she's a witch. And even though I love that aspect of the book (and the fact that Hawkins freely references Harry Potter in an extremely appropriate way), what I love even more is that, by the end of the book, I felt as if I knew Sophie and all of her quirks. More than that, I wanted to be her friend. I found her hilarious and sarcastic and smart, but not in-your-face about it. I felt like I was really reading ...more
Anushka
Also find this review on Don't Stop Readin'

3.5 Stars

Hex Hall is a YA Fantasy series of 3 books by Rachel Hawkins consisting of – Hex Hall, Demonglass and Spellbound . It is a series that I would love to love.
But.
Yes, there is always a ‘but’. Still, before that let me go over the story, characters, writing etc thingies.
Story is as normal as a Teen-Fantasy book could be. It has a school – called Hecate (Hex) – to train witches, fairies, weres etc. Like most of the cases we have a female protag
picks for actors/actresses for the movie! 54 603 14 hours, 44 min ago
YA Buddy Readers'...: Hex Hall Series By Rachel Hawkins - Reading from May 5th 2015 146 161 15 hours, 38 min ago
A Million More Pages: 1 - Hex Hall (Hex Hall) (Revisit): Apr 27 42 28 Apr 30, 2015 10:33PM
What's The Name o...: FORGOTTEN BOOK ABOUT WITCHES [s] 2 29 Apr 14, 2015 02:54PM
hex hall book game 43 28 Apr 13, 2015 03:24PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins 1 9 Feb 27, 2015 07:42AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 21, 2015 01:12PM
  • Always a Witch (Witch, #2)
  • Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2)
  • Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls, #2)
  • My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2)
  • Hexbound (Dark Elite, #2)
  • Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1)
  • Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)
  • Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1)
  • Reign Check (Demon Princess #2)
  • The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
  • The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1)
  • Crave (The Clann, #1)
  • Winter's Passage (Iron Fey, #1.5)
  • Mercy (Mercy, #1)
  • Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1)

Hex Hall (3 books)
  • Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2)
  • Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)
Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3) Rebel Belle (Rebel Belle, #1) School Spirits (School Spirits, #1) Miss Mayhem (Rebel Belle, #2)

22 trivia questions
9 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Good luck explaining to God that you used to spank one of his heavenly beings."
Mom gave a startled laugh. "Sophie!"
"What? You did. I hope you like hot weather, Mom, that's all I'm saying.”
764 likes
“I heard the man and woman cry a warning as I frantically racked my brain for some sort of throat-repairing spell, which I was clearly about to need. Of course the only words that I actually managed to yell at the werewolf as he ran at me were, 'BAD DOG!'

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I caught a flash of blue light on my left. Suddenly, the werewolf seemed to smack into an invisible wall just inches in front of me....

"You know," someone said off to my left, "I usually find a blocking spell to be a lot more effective than yelling 'Bad dog,' but maybe that's just me.”
700 likes