Start by marking “Vineyard Prey (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #16)” as Want to Read:
Vineyard Prey (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #16)

Vineyard Prey (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #17)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  24 reviews

Thanksgiving has come and gone, and hunting season is in full swing on the Vineyard. J. W. Jackson -- retired cop, dedicated fisherman, and passionate cook -- is more or less holed up with his wife, Zee, and their two spunky kids for the winter. At least dear old dad has finally agreed to get a computer to keep them connected to the outside world! Otherwise, their cozy Vin
Published June 7th 2005 by Scribner (first published May 24th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Vineyard Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vineyard Prey

Nancy H
I really enjoy the mysteries in this series, and never tire of J.W., Zee, the kids, and their island. It is such a great series, and I was sorry to hear that the author passed away and there won't be many more for me to enjoy after this one.
Shrimpo
Jill
I loved this installment of the series and it confirmed how much I miss the story telling of Philip Craig. J. W. is my kind of guy, romantic, sexy, resourceful, appreciative of his environment, loving and loyal to his family and best of all tough. This was action packed when he realized who dunnit! Violent, graphic- just great!
Harry Lane
A somewhat darker tale than is usual for Mr. Craig. JW finds himself embroiled in a deadly game among professional spooks, but finds the thread that unravels the mystery. Were it not for the violence, the background and coda are suitable for a cosy.
Steve
book on tape.
I read it years ago.
Even though I knew the beginning, I thoroughly enjoyed the reading/performed by Tom Stechschulte.
Terrific characters. Terrific voice!!!
Audio File wrote of Tom:
"Narrator Profile Tom Stechschulte
A recent reviewer said, "One difference between simply listening and having a listening experience is Tom Stechschulte." Tom seems to inhabit his characters and shares the full power of each with listeners. " Back to me: I heartily recommend listening to any book read by h
Sadie Stevenson
This book was very well wrote it kept you on the edge of your seat the whole time and made you fall in love with the surroundins
Hardyboy
Good quick read. Enjoyable.
Lee
Fun read set in Martha's Vineyard ... Good mystery, good story. 4 stars.
Carol
Another J. S. Jackson story. I love how he loves and cares for his family and their great interaction. And yet he is a determined investigator, not put off by anything even being shot at and beaten up.
Rachel
J.W. Jackson helps his buddy Joe Begay out and becomes involved in a case involving intelligence agencies and possible terrorists. An easy read though the killer was a bit predictible.
Nike Chillemi
A fun read. Great beach read, especially if you're on Martha's Vineyard. A little unbelieveable in places. Who is responsible for the muders comes as a surprise.
Kirsten
This installment in the series didn't really ring true. I'm afraid the characters have run their course for me.
Barbara
Turns out this is an unintentional reread. But these are pleasant books, and I like the characters, so that's OK.
Janet
This story was very intense. I was on the edge the whole time. Another fine story from Philip Craig.
Liz
This Vineyard mystery was a lot of fun and I will probably read more in the series.
Sbugsy
I enjoy these stories but they definitely do not match up with Patterson or Baldacci.
Kathie
More action and a little more background into Joe Begay and his secret life.
Thomas Nevins
quick interesting read, as are all of craigs....fun mystery book
Sharon
I enjoy all the Vineyard mystery Series
Pam Quinn
annual summer fix...good read.
Mary Jane
Spring Break continued
Lucy Woods
good mystery!
Vickie
Good series.
Margaret Gi
Margaret Gi is currently reading it
Nov 30, 2014
Marose
Marose is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2014
Sharon Cresswell
Sharon Cresswell marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
  • Nervous Water (Brady Coyne, #23)
  • Son of a Hundred Kings
  • Do Unto Others
  • As the World Churns (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #16)
  • Dead and Berried (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #2)
  • Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)
  • Threaded for Trouble (Threadville Mystery, #2)
  • The Contrary Blues
  • Who Invited the Dead Man? (Thoroughly Southern, #3)
  • Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast Mystery, #2)
  • In The Dead of Winter (Ivy Towers, #1)
  • The Body Lovers
  • A Minister's Ghost (Fever Devilin, #3)
  • A Case of Nosy Neighbors (Morning Shade Mystery #3)
  • The Body in the Attic (Faith Fairchild, #14)
  • Simon Said (Professor Simon Shaw, #1)
Author Philip R. Craig passed away on May 8, 2007 after a brief battle with cancer.

Phil left three completed novels, which have now all been published posthumously. Vineyard Stalker, came out in June of 2007 just after Phil's death. Third Strike, co-written with Bill Tapply, came out in November of 2007. The final J.W. Jackson mystery, Vineyard Chill, is on the shelves now. Another J.W. book is p
More about Philip R. Craig...
A Beautiful Place to Die (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #1) Murder at a Vineyard Mansion (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #15) Off Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #5) Vineyard Chill (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #19) A Deadly Vineyard Holiday (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #8)