Start by marking “What Is My Dog Thinking?: The Essential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior” as Want to Read:
What Is My Dog Thinking?: The Essential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior

What Is My Dog Thinking?: The Essential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  18 reviews
There are probably times when you wish you knew what your dog was thinking. From tail wagging to growling, from play bowing to lip licking, this fascinating book explains why your dog behaves the way he does. What Is My Dog Thinking? covers six major aspects of dog behavior: the importance of hierarchy, food and fitness, staying safe, reproduction, social behavior, and peo ...more
Published September 10th 2002 by Thunder Bay Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about What Is My Dog Thinking?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Is My Dog Thinking?

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronIf I Should Die Before My Dog -- by Joe ConnollyThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinMarley and Me by John GroganThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Dog Lovers
193rd out of 368 books — 429 voters

More lists with this book...

Alessia Cima
What is my dog thinking? Is about Understanding what your dog is thinking and all the tricks and things your dog does, for example I leared that when other dogs sniff eachothers butts its away to say hello or see what they have been up to. I found the book Really intersting beacause I really learned what my dog is thinking... I had no idea about any of the stuff I read and now when I walk my dog I understand why dogs are doing the things they do. I would recamend this book to everyone who has do ...more
Jordana

Non fictions means a book that is true facts like an autobiography or a cooking book. My book is true facts about how dogs act and think. Its a reference non fiction book. My book is all about how dogs behave and their actions to something they like or don’t like. Here are a few fun facts that are in the book: Some dogs do not like you putting your hands near them when they're eating a treat or chewing on something. They'll show their teeth or some will bite. Has your dog ever did that swimming
Raul Garcia
Mar 18, 2010 Raul Garcia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who likes dogs
Recommended to Raul by: no one I found it on a book store
The book titled: ¨What is my dog thinking? ¨ was written by Gwen Bailey. It is an expository nonfiction book because it explains facts about dogs behavior and body language. I chose this book because I have dogs, and I´m interested in understanding how to communicate better with them.
This is a book that helps you understand what your dog needs, feels, or dislikes by teaching you how to read its body language. Some people treat or expect the dog to act like a human. No matter what you do dogs
Tanja
Whether you have a dog or not, this is a great reference. It'll make you change the way you approach dogs you don't know and will hopefully help to understand them better.
Dani
This is a serious, simplistic and easy to understand book on the behaviors and body language ques of dogs (which are oft ignored or misunderstood, unfortunately),. I now find it easier to communicate (to use the term loosely) and or respond to my dog's physical expressions.

This is highly recommended for dog lovers or simply as a handy book for those otherwise less enthusiastic about dogs. Either way, I'm sure the knowledge would come in handy as the appropriate way to react if you come across an
Reb Brann
Feb 19, 2012 Reb Brann rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: New Dog Owners
Shelves: dogs
I wish everyone who approached a dog had to spend 30 minutes with this book learning about dogs and how NOT to greet the animal. Filled with pictures and the behaviorist describes what the dog is thinking. Low rating from me is because while the book would tell you what was wrong, it didn't follow up with the correct approach recommendation.
Jen
Jul 31, 2008 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jen by: Ryan
Just a slim photo-essay book, "What is my dog thinking?" still manages to get across some very cool information in an easy-to-understand format. It's also an interesting side-note that, in Britain, Blue Cross is an animal protection group. Could you imagine flashing your insurance card over there?

Thanks for the gift, Ryan!
Amie
It was an OK book, but it would have bored some people. I liked all of the info on dog behavior.
Matimate
This book is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) for the reading the basic expression, which can help you to understand your canine. The everyday situations are accompanied with photos of dogs doing this or that with short explanation of why.
Robin
This is a good book for basic understanding on why dogs behave the way they do. I found it pretty informative on some things that my dog does and hope to pay more attention to his signal in the future. I'll probably forget tho.
Cynthia
Rather simplistic but great for kids and adults to figure out what the dog is thinking. We discovered that our dogs are big attention seekers and need psychiatriac help but you probably had already guessed that.
Tara
Every dog owner should read this! It's quick and easy to understand with short chunks of information and catchy headlines. And I learned a lot about why my dog seems crazy sometimes!
Jillian
This book is a great, fast read. It covers most of the perplexing questions I had about why dogs do weird things, like eat feces or chew toilet paper.
Cathy
I really enjoyed reading this and got some real insight into some of my own dogs behaviors
Diana
Sort of like reading Desmond Morris' Dogwatching, but shorter and with pictures!
Jessica
Most of the doggy body language examined in this book is totally self-explanatory anyway.
Andrea
Easy to read and good information. Great for all levels even kids.
Sharon
Great book for any dog owner to read.
Tracie Montgomery
Tracie Montgomery marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Maddy Muscat
Maddy Muscat is currently reading it
Nov 08, 2014
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Lucy Skeldon
Lucy Skeldon marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Nelson
Nelson marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Gwen worked for a leading UK national animal welfare charity from 1988-2002 and pioneered the use of dog behaviour knowledge in the rehoming of unwanted animals.

She was the first person to be appointed by a national animal welfare charity as a full time Animal Behaviourist, eventually heading a team of behaviourists.

Gwen has successfully solved behaviour problems in thousands of rehomed dogs, help
More about Gwen Bailey...
The Perfect Puppy What Is My Cat Thinking? Adopt the Perfect Dog How to train a superdog - Unleash your dog's potential Hell on 4 Paws: A Story of Love, Life and Chesil, the Delinquent Dog