Start by marking “Victorian Lace Today” as Want to Read:
Victorian Lace Today

Victorian Lace Today

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  612 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Within this compendium, the very first knitting books have been translated fromsketchy, often-inaccurate instructions into richly-colored, exciting patterns for modern-day accessories. This blend of history, mystery, and hands-on technique debunks myths about Victorian life as it inspires beginners and ambitious knitters alike. Included are instructions for Victorian lace ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Xrx Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Victorian Lace Today, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victorian Lace Today

An updated look at the lace-knitting of Victoriana, including original and historic patterns. Victorian times brought new interest to knitting with the advent of printed patterns, allowing knitters greater complexity and a larger audience when sharing techniques and designs. The lace contained in this book is gorgeous and it also includes some historical notes. I would have liked to see more realistic outfits on the models (seriously, they look like they were dressed by kooky church ladies!) and ...more
I've dipped in and out of this book mainly for the patterns. Still trying to decide whether to buy it and break my rule of not adding to my shelves. I decided a while ago that I'm only buying from charity shops and then handing them back to re-sell or using the public library. Use it or lose it. We can't lose our libraries!

I might have to buy this as there are lots of lovely patterns but I don't find them easy to follow. I eventually realised that it is actually an American book even though all
Linda B
Maybe when I am 90 I will have this kind of patience.
This book is a brilliant resource to knitters. The information section at the back is extremely thorough, and every step of making the patterns in the book is lovingly described in terms simple enough for beginners to lacemaking. There is also information on how to create your own shawls, modify existing ones, and basically do anything you wish to make every knitted piece truly your own. A+++ book.
I like this collection of patterns. It is primarily lace shawls and scarfs. They are beautiful and practical. There's a wide variety of types as well. The writer has collected old Victorian patterns and have adapted the instructions to the current conventions and with clarity.

There are gorgeous pictures and a few bits of history interspersed throughout the book.
Laura Jean
This book is absolutely fabulous! There are tons of projects, and marvelous descriptions for everything. Several of the items are made with one of my favorite yarns, Rowan Kidsilk Haze. The final chapter of the book has photos of all the yarns used in the projects. There are also suggestions for yarn substitutions.

I can hardly wait to start something from here.
One of the few knitting books I own and one of two to travel to Japan with me. Also the one book I've knit the most projects from. This book is amazing and beautiful; it lives on the "show" bookshelf full of yarn and whiskey for people to peruse instead of on the coffee table, but it is our coffee table book.
This is a stunning book with gorgeous photography and really lovely patterns. Jane Sowerby managed to decipher Victorian lace pattern, which would have been a nightmare for most of us and each project is beautiful. On my wish list now is to buy a copy of this book and lots of lace yarn.
Dec 15, 2012 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: craft
An interesting look at lace knitting in 19th century London with patterns updated and translated into modern US lingo.

A lovely collection of shawls and scarves beautifully photographed.

I will be knitting more from this book.
Loved the photographs. Not all of the directions match the photographed items so be sure to read the knitting as well as the instructions. I've been told that there is a website that has reader contributed corrections.
I am still (since christmas) working on an awesome lace scarf from this book. The historical sections describing the evolution of lace and the hand written pattern is awesome. The patterns are classic with clear charts.
Jun 21, 2012 J A W rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
In addition to having some truly breathtaking lace patterns, this book has an excellent techniques guide at the back. And the narrative on the author's research into the patterns themselves is fascinating
Jan 08, 2008 Nitrorockets rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lace knitters
Shelves: knitting
Wow is this an excellent lace book. If you are adventurous enough to take on lacing then this is THE book for you. Great patterns a little bit of history and loads of pictures in color.
Xrx really knows how to sell knitting through pictures. It is sumptuous.

What it is like in practice, however, I can't say. Not good enough to think about knitting lace....
Nov 18, 2009 Knittingdragonflies is currently reading it
The photos alone make me swoon. Beautiful. Wide range of patterns available, from simple to complex. approch is that knitting lace can be done by anyone.
Miss Mouse
Wow! If you're looking to knit lace, you'll have a very difficult time deciding which one to knit from this book.
Kelly Schooler
Love this lace tutorial....wonderful old patterns translated into modern language for today's knitters
I'm rating this five stars on the gorgeous photos. The historical background information is also great.
Beautiful items with interesting historical information. Haven't attempted any projects from this yet.
Feb 24, 2015 Tammy added it
Shelves: library-books, how-to
I took it back to the library today. Very sad, but somebody else was waiting for it. Sigh.
Dec 18, 2007 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Knitters
The patterns are lovely, the photographs are incredible and the historical details are fascinating!
I love this book. I can't wait to knit my first project from this wonderful gem.
Looked through the book at B&N. Gorgeous photos and some terrific patterns.
Tanya Faberson
One of the few knitting books I read cover to cover.
A FEAST for lace-knitting lovers.
May 01, 2008 Sarah added it
Shelves: knitting-books
I WANT THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Too many errors.
  • Folk Shawls
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac
  • Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • First Book of Modern Lace Knitting
  • Shawls and Scarves: The Best of Knitter's Magazine
  • The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques
(from the jacket of her book: Victorian Lace Today)

Author Jane Sowerby, violist, teacher, spinner and dyer, began researching Victorian Lace knitting over a decade ago. She lives and knits near Cambridge, England.
More about Jane Sowerby...