Start by marking “Victorian Lace Today” as Want to Read:
Victorian Lace Today

Victorian Lace Today

Within this compendium, the very first knitting books have been translated from sketchy, often-inaccurate instructions into richly-colored, exciting patterns for modern-day accessories. This blend of history, mystery, and hands-on technique debunks myths about Victorian life as it inspires beginners and ambitious knitters alike. Included are instructions for Victorian lace ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Xrx Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Victorian Lace Today, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victorian Lace Today

Javier
Jan 12, 2009 Javier rated it really liked it
An updated look at the lace-knitting of Victoriana, including original and historic patterns. Victorian times brought new interest to knitting with the advent of printed patterns, allowing knitters greater complexity and a larger audience when sharing techniques and designs. The lace contained in this book is gorgeous and it also includes some historical notes. I would have liked to see more realistic outfits on the models (seriously, they look like they were dressed by kooky church ladies!) and ...more
Mauri
Dec 02, 2015 Mauri rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, knitting
Full of yardage and other errors - in several places, the item as knit does not match the item photographed. Some photos are out of focus.
Winifred
Mar 02, 2011 Winifred rated it really liked it
I've dipped in and out of this book mainly for the patterns. Still trying to decide whether to buy it and break my rule of not adding to my shelves. I decided a while ago that I'm only buying from charity shops and then handing them back to re-sell or using the public library. Use it or lose it. We can't lose our libraries!

I might have to buy this as there are lots of lovely patterns but I don't find them easy to follow. I eventually realised that it is actually an American book even though all
Ana
Dec 08, 2009 Ana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
One of the few knitting books I own and one of two to travel to Japan with me. Also the one book I've knit the most projects from. This book is amazing and beautiful; it lives on the "show" bookshelf full of yarn and whiskey for people to peruse instead of on the coffee table, but it is our coffee table book.
Laurajean
Jul 04, 2008 Laurajean rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely fabulous! There are tons of projects, and marvelous descriptions for everything. Several of the items are made with one of my favorite yarns, Rowan Kidsilk Haze. The final chapter of the book has photos of all the yarns used in the projects. There are also suggestions for yarn substitutions.

I can hardly wait to start something from here.
Jean
Sep 19, 2012 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this collection of patterns. It is primarily lace shawls and scarfs. They are beautiful and practical. There's a wide variety of types as well. The writer has collected old Victorian patterns and have adapted the instructions to the current conventions and with clarity.

There are gorgeous pictures and a few bits of history interspersed throughout the book.
Margie
Feb 02, 2016 Margie rated it really liked it
Lovely, lovely shawls. I've started one, and it's going well so far.

I appreciate the attention paid to adding borders - there's a whole 'how-to' section, along with notes on how to alter patterns in order to use different borders.
Jan
Apr 12, 2010 Jan rated it it was amazing
This has some jaw-dropping designs. It also has some easy to do patterns that most knitters can do. It is a beautiful book as well. You should check it out from the library first just to make sure that you want to knit some of the patterns.
Jan 23, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the photographs. Not all of the directions match the photographed items so be sure to read the knitting as well as the instructions. I've been told that there is a website that has reader contributed corrections.
J A W
Jun 21, 2012 J A W rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
In addition to having some truly breathtaking lace patterns, this book has an excellent techniques guide at the back. And the narrative on the author's research into the patterns themselves is fascinating
Palawa
Nov 25, 2010 Palawa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting-crafts
This is a stunning book with gorgeous photography and really lovely patterns. Jane Sowerby managed to decipher Victorian lace pattern, which would have been a nightmare for most of us and each project is beautiful. On my wish list now is to buy a copy of this book and lots of lace yarn.
Wendy
Apr 07, 2010 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft
An interesting look at lace knitting in 19th century London with patterns updated and translated into modern US lingo.

A lovely collection of shawls and scarves beautifully photographed.

I will be knitting more from this book.
Tammy
May 21, 2010 Tammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to, library-books
2015: I did a review of this book on my blog: http://knittwhisperer.blogspot.com/20...

6/10/10I took it back to the library today. Very sad, but somebody else was waiting for it. Sigh.
Andrea
Mar 03, 2008 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: crochet-knitting
I am still (since christmas) working on an awesome lace scarf from this book. The historical sections describing the evolution of lace and the hand written pattern is awesome. The patterns are classic with clear charts.
Ellen
Oct 01, 2008 Ellen rated it really liked it
Beautiful items with interesting historical information. Haven't attempted any projects from this yet.
Miss Mouse
Jul 04, 2008 Miss Mouse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-crafty
Wow! If you're looking to knit lace, you'll have a very difficult time deciding which one to knit from this book.
notgettingenough
Oct 14, 2009 notgettingenough rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting-is-sexy
Xrx really knows how to sell knitting through pictures. It is sumptuous.

What it is like in practice, however, I can't say. Not good enough to think about knitting lace....
Kelly Schooler
Nov 03, 2012 Kelly Schooler rated it really liked it
Love this lace tutorial....wonderful old patterns translated into modern language for today's knitters
Knittingdragonflies
Nov 18, 2009 Knittingdragonflies is currently reading it
The photos alone make me swoon. Beautiful. Wide range of patterns available, from simple to complex. approch is that knitting lace can be done by anyone.
Jan 27, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I'm rating this five stars on the gorgeous photos. The historical background information is also great.
Nitrorockets
Jan 08, 2008 Nitrorockets rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lace knitters
Shelves: knitting
Wow is this an excellent lace book. If you are adventurous enough to take on lacing then this is THE book for you. Great patterns a little bit of history and loads of pictures in color.
Annelise
Annelise rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2013
Sarah Ligon
Sarah Ligon rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Catherine
Jan 12, 2009 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I can't wait to knit my first project from this wonderful gem.
Dani
Dani rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2009
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2011
Libi
Libi rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2008
Debiwin
Debiwin rated it liked it
May 22, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2012
Kearney
Kearney rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2007
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac
  • The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques
  • Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls
  • Shawls and Scarves: The Best of Knitter's Magazine
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
(from the jacket of her book: Victorian Lace Today)

Author Jane Sowerby, violist, teacher, spinner and dyer, began researching Victorian Lace knitting over a decade ago. She lives and knits near Cambridge, England.
More about Jane Sowerby...