Start by marking “Help! I'm in Love with a Narcissist” as Want to Read:
Help! I'm in Love with a Narcissist

Help! I'm in Love with a Narcissist

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Written with the compassionate language that people have come to rely upon and expect from these proven relationship experts, this book goes beyond an explanation of the condition to help men and women avoid the self-destructive permanence of remaining with people incapable of loving anyone but themselves.
Published January 1st 2005 by M. Evans& Co Inc

To ask other readers questions about Help! I'm in Love with a Narcissist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help! I'm in Love with a Narcissist

John Kulm
Okay, the name sounds dumbed-down, but the book is actually very helpful and informative.

A passage that caught my attention implied that if a narcissist can find a “sense of self” the traits associated with narcissism can resolve themselves, or at least become manageable.

Here’s that passage:

“Narcissists are, by definition, injured and wounded. Somewhere, most often in childhood, they lost sight of who they really are. Usually, through no fault of their own, they failed to develop an authentic
Shawn Lynch
I started reading this book with the hope that I would better understand the situation that someone I love is in, and with the goal that I might be able to support her in more productive and healthy ways. Having finished the book, I feel that I really do better understand her situation (as well as I can from the outside) and that I am better equipped to offer productive and healthy support.

As I was reading the book and the stories of those relationships the book uses as anecdotes, I pictured my
Amber
This book was amazingly helpful. I feel like I might not have been ready to accept what it was saying if I hadn't read a few other books first (Keeping the Love You Find and Feeling Good), but it still would have given me a lot to think about.

The authors make a compelling case for letting go of trying to figure out *why* certain people treat you horribly (and making excuses that it must be because they are hurting in some way) and accept that if they treat you horribly you should just get out. I
Susan Williams
Steve Carter and Julia Sokol know exactly what they are talking about in terms of toxic relationships and I only wish I had found this book BEFORE I endured almost three years of pain and heartache with a narcissist. I have only recently come across this book but speaking from the voice of experience I can say that anyone who wants to understand the narcissist and the dynamics within a narcissistic relationship should read this book.
Gemille Cribb
Can't understand what happened in your relationship? Does it seem like your partner is Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde? Do you blame yourself for a breakup or just can't seem to make your relationship work no matter how much you try to accommodate your partner? This book may be for you. Although relationships break up or struggle for many reasons, people who have been or are unknowingly in a relationship with a narcissist are often very confused and burdened by questions long after the relationship has en ...more
Jessica Feist
Described my ex husband to a t! I couldn't put my finger on all his mixed signals but this book wrapped my head around the fact that he was wrapped up in himself and his own world and I could either be myself or change into who he expected me to be. Helped me move forward out of a very destructive and emotionally abusive relationship! Best book for those who do not understand what it truly means to be in love with a narcissist.
Paul
Absolutely indispensable. Some of the descriptions of narcissistic behaviour are uncanny. However, you'll need to become very, very familiar with the patterns and traits - especially the relationship testing - if you're going to protect yourself to any degree. Forget just once and you'll be hurt very quickly - but try to learn from this book and remember the truth behind the behaviour. Thank you to both authors.
Mary
If you've ever been in this situation, it's a really helpful book to understand what you're dealing with. The authors kept it concise and simple, explaining different scenarios of how to understand this personality's characteristics.

A little more attention could've been paid to what the non-narcissistic partner can do to recover from such a traumatic relationship.
Tikker
This book helped me survive a difficult break up and realize what exactly I had been up against. Eye opener.
Mariann Davis
explains alot.
Kausar
Kausar marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Katie Red
Katie Red marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Kirsten Taylor
Kirsten Taylor marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Chau Tran
Chau Tran marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
He's Scared, She's Scared: Understanding the Hidden Fears That Sabotage Your Relationships What Smart Women Know Men Who Can't Love: How to Recognize a Commitment Phobic Man Before He Breaks Your Heart Famous Writers School Men Like Women Who Like Themselves: (And Other Secrets That the Smartest Women Know)