Start by marking “All the Rage: The Boondocks Past and Present” as Want to Read:
All the Rage: The Boondocks Past and Present

All the Rage: The Boondocks Past and Present (The Boondocks #5)

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  346 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Here are the latest, greatest, and last of the daily and Sunday strips; banned comics that have never been seen before, with Aaron McGruder’s commentary on them; and interviews and profiles of the man behind the rage. All the Rage is a must for any true Boondocks fan.
Published October 30th 2007 by Three Rivers Press

March by John             LewisIncognegro by Mat JohnsonBlind Corners by Jemir Robert Johnson5 Shots by Jemir Robert JohnsonMarch by John             Lewis
African American Graphic Novels
24th out of 27 books — 9 voters
The Color Purple by Alice WalkerI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouBeloved by Toni MorrisonInvisible Man by Ralph EllisonThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X
Black History Month
385th out of 396 books — 378 voters

More lists with this book...

Oriana
Mar 11, 2008 Oriana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: uh... everyone?

Well I do have to admit that the whole 'banned strips' section at the back was a bit of a letdown, with mostly nothing you haven't seen before. Clearly a publisher's gimmick to make people buy the book. But here's the thing, Andrews McMeel: why bother? Aaron McGruder is a genius ( Birth of a Nation notwithstanding) and he doesn't need your bullshit trickery to make people buy anything his beautiful hands have touched.

The other thing is that, by putting all the interviews and articles one right
MsBrie
Oct 12, 2014 MsBrie rated it really liked it
All the Rage stands out from other Boondocks books by featuring not only McGruder's superb comics, but transcripts of interviews with McGruder, and an entire section of Boondocks panels that were pulled from various papers - along with the given reasons why.

I enjoyed reading the comics and loved getting the inside scoop on which panels were puled from which papers, and why. I also found the interviews to be revealing. McGruder had a number of things to say, and not surprisingly some of it was q
Bpatton
Aug 11, 2008 Bpatton rated it it was amazing
"It's not always easy being hated on." In the politically charged atmosphere that is post-9/11 America, cartoonist Aaron McGruder summarizes, with that line, the experiences of anyone courageous enough to take a strong political stand nowadays. The first half of "All The Rage" contains most of the final "Boondocks" comic strips before McGruder discontinued the daily series in favor of converting it to animation for Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. Issues of politics, current events and race are dea ...more
Vegantrav
Oct 11, 2011 Vegantrav rated it really liked it
This a a great collection of strips from one of the boldest, most outspoken voices on the left. In the early to mid 00s (what, exactly, are we calling the first 10 years of this century?) when almost everyone in the political mainstream--not just Republicans but even Democrats--was beating the drum for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, Aaron McGruder was one of the few who forcefully and often brazenly questioned America's foreign policy.

McGruder criticized--I think quite appropriately---not onl
HeavyReader
Jun 20, 2008 HeavyReader rated it liked it
This book is huge and includes (as the back cover says), "the latest, greatest, and last of the daily and Sunday strips; banned comics that have never been seen before, with Aaron McGruder's commentary on them; and interviews and profiles of the man behind the rage."

Part II ("The Media") got a little tedious and took me the longest to read. At first, it was really cool to learn McGruder's thoughts about things, often in his own words, but after the third time of reading the same information, I w
Josephus FromPlacitas
Aug 24, 2008 Josephus FromPlacitas rated it really liked it
A decent collection, although there's a long middle section composed entirely of news articles about the man and his strip. Kinda dull, kind of egocentric, I didn't finish all of them. Bad packrat.

It's funny how different the strip looked between the time he hand-drew them and when he switched to drawing with a computer. And then at some point after that he hired an illustrator to do it, but I can't tell the difference. It kind of lost some life once he switched to a computer, although the early
John Lamberth
Oct 01, 2012 John Lamberth rated it liked it
Okay, so I had never really read Boondocks before. I had people recommend it to me, but I wasn't really sure I was the right audience.
I picked this one up after glancing at it and read most of it. It's actually funny! It's pretty fair with criticism and mocking of everybody (although it does lean left in politics). I'm definitely going to check out the other books and the cartoon.
I only gave it three stars for two reasons:
1) I would have liked more author commentary on the strips presented (sin
Matt Sautman
Mar 24, 2016 Matt Sautman rated it it was amazing
Boondocks All the Rage is unique as it is both a collection of Boondocks comics and also provides a documentative history of the comic's publication. This contains the last of the strip's running but it is easily accessible, predicting elements that would go on to appear on the television show. Interestingly enough the comic reads as if it were written for a modern audience.
Zoe
Dec 08, 2015 Zoe rated it liked it
Cartoons were hit or miss, sometimes funny, often deep, sometimes I didn't understand the references. Disliked part II of the book, which was basically a bunch of articles about the author saying the same thing (you have a unique voice, you piss people off, etc).
Jamie
Jan 28, 2014 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
If you didn't read The Boondocks when it was in the papers, do yourself a favor and get caught up. This particular book helps frame how controversial the comic was--a huge sampling of daily strips, reprinted interviews, and historical/social context for some of the biggest instances of censorship. There are lots of pop culture references that feel dated only 10 years out, which could be problematic for younger readers to gain access; for them I'd recommend some of the other collections before pi ...more
Valarie
Aug 12, 2008 Valarie rated it it was amazing
You know, I didn't really need the book, because I have his others (and apparently all of the banned strips), but I'm still glad I got it for a present (thanks Kim!).

While it was a bit tedious, I enjoyed the media section because I hadn't seen most of the interviews before and, as a seasoned journalist who left MSM about 13 years ago, I sometimes get a kick out of seeing how the MSM deals with a guy that they simply just don't get (like Mike Wallace interviewing Ricky Williams).

The money strip
Jnfr Fuller
Jun 23, 2008 Jnfr Fuller rated it it was amazing
One of my students gave me this collection as a birthday gift this month and it is just awesome!!! He told me he was at the store with his dad and he knew this was what he should get for me (I have some strips up in my classroom) but his dad expressed trepidation... my student stayed the course and it has been good times. The satisfaction one can have from taking in a single strip is worth it. This collection includes some banned or censored strips and interviews with McGruder. I am happy to loa ...more
Qu
Jul 13, 2009 Qu rated it really liked it
Shelves: race, graphicnovel
Statements that I had a problem with

“Oh , and I actually went out of my way to not do any lesbian jokes , but people still accused me of questioning her sexual orientation. Is it my fault we don’t ever see her with a man?!” (229) This really disappointed me.

“And what I really like about this idea is that it isn’t the least bit sexist or chauvinistic…” (230).

It is unpleasantly surprising that Aaron McGruder is so ignorant.
Tatiana
Oct 02, 2008 Tatiana rated it really liked it
Aaron McGruder is my hero. I am really sad that the boondocks no longer exists as a comic. This book was a fitting end though, especially with all the extra insight of articles and extras. the articles were especially telling, although repetitive, and the side by side comparison of censored comics with their originals was a nice glimpse into a world i know nothing about (the newspaper comic writer world).
Patrick
Mar 08, 2008 Patrick rated it really liked it
Recommended to Patrick by: oriana
Shelves: 2008
The final year of strips collected, followed by various and sundry interviews, articles, tv appearance transcripts, etc. with Aaron McGruder, then a selection of "controversial" strips that were pulled from some newspapers, along with his commentary on them, and finally, a few "Fox Trot" strips reacting to his announcement of hiatus.
Shanae
I love this novel. I've read it twice & wrote about it in a college setting, which wasn't easy - trust me, but the fact that I was willing to put my college education on the line to broaden my professor's thoughts on literature should be enough to persuade you to pick up this graphic novel & learn something!
Calvin
Jun 04, 2013 Calvin rated it really liked it
Typical Boondocks fare here. I really miss this strip. The funny thing is that political cartoons in most magazines/newspapers were much worse. Unfortunately, media sources decided to make this syndicated comicstrip the posterchild of what's wrong with the world. Sad...

But overall a great book!
Thesanica
Jun 17, 2011 Thesanica is currently reading it
Shelves: comics
So far, so good. Part 1 is comprised of comics with a lot of the controversial matter that THE BOONDOCKS has been noted for by many out there, and on certain pages, there are quotes that either laud or condemn the cartoonist for his comic and whatever he wrote about with it.
Peacegal
Jan 06, 2012 Peacegal rated it really liked it
This collection is rather padded with lots of similar interviews, the comic strips are pure gold. I loved McGruder's take on McDonald's hip hop-influenced "rebranding" strategy.
Joseph Young
Jul 19, 2012 Joseph Young rated it liked it
It's very clever. It's a comic which tackles material no one else wants to touch. However, like Chapelle's Show, I can only handle so much of it at a time.
Samuel
Apr 04, 2011 Samuel rated it it was amazing
Leasa
Jan 21, 2008 Leasa rated it it was amazing
Must read for any Boondocks/Aaron McGruder fan. Loved seeing the strips that were edited or never run and reading his take on them.
Mike
Jun 16, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing
One of the best contemporary comic strips! I just wish I had caught onto them earlier while they were still being syndicated.
Samori705
Oct 18, 2010 Samori705 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 6th-grade
I think this book was a very educational and comedic book I have read besides Diary of a Wimpy Kid
David
Nov 21, 2013 David rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Fun little treasury. It's great to see the history of the strips that caused the most fuss
kubby
Jul 02, 2015 kubby added it
i'm glad there's the boondocks.
there should be more comics like this.
Bridget
Nov 26, 2007 Bridget rated it really liked it
Oh, God. I love Mcgruder's stuff so very, very much. I just... Grandad! Hee!
Christie
Jan 11, 2010 Christie rated it really liked it
My first experience with the Boondocks. I'm going back for more.
RK Byers
  • Take Our Cat, Please: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • Truth: Red, White, and Black
  • The Huge Book of Hell
  • Sinfest
  • There's Nothing in the Middle of the Road but Yellow Stripes and Dead Armadillos: A Work of Political Subversion
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 5: 1959-1960
  • The Bloom County Library, Vol. 2: 1982-1984
  • Incognegro
  • Do the Right Thing: A Spike Lee Joint
  • Wrapped-Up FoxTrot: A Treasury with the Final Daily Strips
  • Zulu
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Split-Level Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #8)
  • Thoreau at Walden
  • The Marriage Act: The Risk I Took to Keep My Best Friend in America, and What It Taught Us About Love
Aaron McGruder is an American cartoonist best known for writing and drawing The Boondocks, a Universal Press Syndicate comic strip about two young African American brothers from inner-city Chicago now living with their grandfather in a sedate suburb. Through the leftist Huey (named after Huey P. Newton) and his younger brother Riley, a young want-to-be gangsta, the strip explores issues involving ...more
More about Aaron McGruder...

The Boondocks (5 books)