Start by marking “Against the Tide (The Council Wars, #3)” as Want to Read:
Against the Tide (The Council Wars, #3)

Against the Tide (The Council Wars #3)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,519 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Published April 1st 2006 by Baen (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Against the Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Tide

Jim
Product Description

In the distant future, the world was a paradise-and then, in a moment, it was ended by the first war in centuries. People who had known godlike power, to whom hunger and pain were completely unknown, desperately scrabbled to survive. As the United Free States, the bastion of freedom and center of opposition to the tyrants of New Destiny, prepared for the long-feared invasion by the Changed legions of Ropasa, Edmund Talbot realized that bureaucratic ineptitude and overconfide

Ron
Mar 13, 2009 Ron rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: milfic
Don't judge a book by its cover. While that angel-like character is in the book, she's almost non-important to the plot.

We get a look behind enemy lines in this one, complete with overtones of Ringo's BSDM themes. We also find out a lot more about what it takes to be a council member.

The books is almost worth reading just for the great Navy Seals joke.
Courtney
Don't let the cover fool you, this new character is only a small part of the story line, although she is important. The story follows the same lines as the first two with the plot of the book centering around one battle. I enjoyed it and looked forward to the next installment.
Tom
3rd in series, start with "There Will Be Dragons". Military sci-fi crossed with fantasy. Really good.

Check out scene where Navy Seals deploy on a beach to extract a spy (but they are real sentient seals!).
Briana
More military fantasy goodness. Now they do naval battles. The characters continue to develop in predictable (and unpredictable) ways.
Jo
Lydia Pallas, orphaned and deserted at Boston Harbor, has a vast knowledge of languages because her father traveled the high seas with his little family. After leaving the orphanage, she becomes a translator for the U.S. Navy, making Boston her home. Upon first meeting Alexander Banebridge, she is suspicious of him, then becomes awed and enamored of him. She agrees to be his translator and later learns that he is relentlessly fighting to end the opium trade. They both experience feelings for the ...more
Kjirstin
I liked this installment of the series... it's a little broader in scope than the second book, while still acknowledging the long-term nature of the ongoing conflict. We spend more time with the Navy of the new UFS, as Duke Edmund has to go in and clean house after a group of yacht club officer wannabees royally mess things up. As usual, lots of rousing action, and we get to spend time "behind enemy lines" with Megan Travante, seeing what is happening with the bad guys. Quite enjoyable, although ...more
Barbara Ghylin
What a wild ride!! I wasn't quite ready for this one to be done. I guess that means that I have to buy the next one so I can find out what happens.
Richard Gibbs
After the very slow progress make in book two, things happen in this book, which is good, though there did seem to be a few random characters thrown in there to make this happen. The characters also seem to be turning more two dimensional than actually evolving but then I presume this is because the story is taking precedence over character development. Perhaps this series will end with the next book?
Andreas
Book three in the series is a dramatic improvement from the disappointing Emerald Sea. Ringo takes us back to the main action of the war, where a battle for control of the Atlantic (ahem, “Atlantis”) is brewing. The UFS Navy is in terrible shape, so the Queen sends Edmund (with Herzer in tow) to take over and sort it out before New Destiny tries to invade.

Good, clean fun in other words. Plenty of action, laughs and horrible puns. For example the SEAL team is made up of humans changed into seal-f
Ladyonuk
I actually liked it better than Emerald Sea, and it has surprised me enough to want to read the next installment.
This time Herzer became less annoying and some "new" characters got to be quite interesting in the end.

Although sometimes the military setting becomes too much in his past books, I had a better time with the descriptions than in past books (may it be because it is better written or I just got used to his style, I really do not know).

Over all I would read again this book out of the 3 I
Heidi
"This series is an imaginative page-turner marred by some not-even-thinly-veiled politics and a weirdly adolescent take on sex. Nevertheless, Ringo has a great grasp on military techniques, culture, and history that makes me forgive him. I still think men would probably enjoy this more than I did, since they wouldn't have to keep overlooking his, I have to say, offensiveness."
Bryan457
Science so advanced it might as well be magic, then it all comes crashing down, and people have to learn to do things the old fashioned way again, while fending off the bad guys.
I love this series, please write more of them.
Alycia
Keeping the story alive in more books, learning more about other characters....can't wait to finish the last book and see what happens!!!! May need to look into his other books....
LadyCroft86
Another entertaining story in the series. I'm sad that Herzer didn't end up with Rachel but oh well. I am curious to see how the series ends.
Sandra
Mar 30, 2013 Sandra added it
Husband said he'd not read it again, so off it goes to someone else. He reads faster than I do and I trust his judgement.
Bill
Major battle between the United Free States and New Destiny with many side issues. No shortage of action.
Comobu1
this is a very good series interesting concept kind of like that new television show where the power goes...
Keith Bell
Amazing imaginative story telling in this Military Sci-Fi addition to The Council War series.
caela
Apr 09, 2007 caela marked it as to-read
I think I read this already, but really have no memory of it. So I'm going to reread it someday.
Ralph McEwen
A good addition to a good series. I will definitely read the next book
Roger Ivie
Lost most of the silliness that reared its ugly head in Emerald Sea.
Cgradis
the series is holding up well, I hope the fourth is as good.
Kenneth Flusche
Best in the series #3 Just as good as remembered
Child960801
I like this series a lot.
Loretta
Dec 06, 2014 Loretta added it
Shelves: kindle
e book
Amber Moate
Amber Moate marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Amy3745
Amy3745 marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
  • The Apocalypse Troll
  • Warlord (Raj Whitehall, #1-2)
  • The Amazon Legion
  • Destiny's Shield (Belisarius, #3)
  • Exodus (Starfire, #5)
  • The Chosen (Raj Whitehall, #6)
John Ringo is a prolific author who has written in a wide variety of genres. His early life included a great deal of travel. He visited 23 foreign countries, and attended fourteen different schools. After graduation Ringo enlisted in the US military for four years, after which he studied marine biology.

In 1999 he wrote and published his first novel "A Hymn Before Battle", which proved successful.
More about John Ringo...
A Hymn Before Battle (Posleen War, #1) Gust Front (Posleen War, #2) Live Free or Die (Troy Rising, #1) Citadel (Troy Rising, #2) When the Devil Dances (Posleen War, #3)