Start by marking “East of the Sun, West of the Moon (The Council Wars, #4)” as Want to Read:
East of the Sun, West of the Moon (The Council Wars, #4)

East of the Sun, West of the Moon (The Council Wars #4)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,635 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
When the council that controlled the world spanning computer Mother fell out in civil war, it plunged the world in an instant from high-tech utopia to medieval nightmare. Now Herzer Herrick and Megan Trevante have been assigned the mission to capture the spaceship that supplies the fuel for the whole world. Given that Herzer vaguely thinks orbital decay is something having ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Baen (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about East of the Sun, West of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about East of the Sun, West of the Moon

Lou
Sep 21, 2012 Lou rated it did not like it
I don't know if I'm ever going to pick this up again. I got so annoyed with it. If it'd been a paperback instead of in ebook format, I'd probably have thrown it clear across the room...

(Also, apparently there aren't any elves. Bah.)
Christina Brummett
Jun 06, 2013 Christina Brummett rated it it was ok
This book feels like a phoned in fanfiction for the rest of the series. While I don't agree with the author's political/sociological points entirely, at least his descriptions of society and his justifications, however wrong, were interesting in the other three books. This one, however, is nothing but a long slog through training for and fighting a battle in space. The ending(view spoiler) ...more
Courtney
Jun 10, 2009 Courtney rated it really liked it
Although this book all but centers around Herzer and his assignment I think this is my favorite of the 4 books. I really missed the "main" cast of characters that the past 3 books centered on and the sudden change made it more difficult for me to really get into the story. Once I did though I couldn't put it down. The mission seems to go wrong at every possible moment and the team really has to think on its feet. Some of the minor characters from the past books did come together in this one and ...more
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 Jim rated it liked it
From Booklist

The possible conclusion to the postholocaust series The Council War is a rouser in Ringo's best manner. The New Dynasty warlords are bringing in a shipload of fuel that could give them a vital edge; their opponents have planned to hijack it. Unfortunately, the first Team Icarus has been destroyed, and Herzer Herrick and Megan Travante have to improvise a new one. The sequences in which the new team trains show Ringo's military background, and since many of the new recruits are fem

Jan
Major Herzer Herrick is back. Less sure of his role since the first book, he is now the fiance' of the key holder, Countess Megan Samantha Travante. What is his role as the side kick?

However, a major mission to seize the fuel needed to run Earth's power grid becomes a mission Herzer and Megan both need to be on.

The characters do not seem as rich a novel even though it takes 408 pages to complete the mission.
Micah
Apr 30, 2008 Micah rated it liked it
In both of the other books I've read by Ringo, he quotes the adage, "No plan survives contact with the enemy." Annoyingly, all of the battle plans in the other books proceed to go off without a hitch. In this book, rather than simply telling us that no plans go as they're meant to, he actually shows the plans going awry, and forces the characters to display on-the-fly ingenuity. It's much more satisfying.
Ron
Mar 13, 2009 Ron rated it really liked it
Shelves: milfic
The most sci-fi of the bunch. Imagine Space Cadet with swords and orcs.

Not the best of the series, but still solid. Ringo also shows his male character actually have heart and understand the difference between love an sex.

My big problem with this book was it didn't have any elves in it. I expected it given how the elf plot ended in the last book. Hopefully we'll see more in the future.
Samuel Z Jones
Apr 28, 2015 Samuel Z Jones rated it liked it
Oh cool, Space Orcs!

Or so I thought.

This is, sadly, the least fulfilling of the Council Wars series.

Orcs. In Space. Space Orcs. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, the shuttle launch, naturally.

In a world where the technology does indeed exist to teleport our heroes to the orbital re-fuelling ship that powers the generators allowing the Key Holders to wage their hi-tech "Wizard War" devastating a former utopia, Ringo opts to launch his gallant commando team by shuttle.

Here, Ringo's penchant for
Heidi
"Fourth in the series (and currently last, though the ending implies another installment), this installment was fun and fast-moving. Ringo specializes in military scifi, and he has the military part down pat. His interpersonal relationships are really poorly drawn (and ridiculous, and sometimes downright offensive) but he makes up for it with his depth of understanding about how the military operates, even when battling orcs in space. I wish there had been either a clearer description of the shi ...more
Nix Gerit
May 23, 2014 Nix Gerit rated it liked it
Council wars is a good saga with some cool ideas. I liked that the author concentrated on various aspects of war throughout the books and how creative he was about that.
I'd say some of the more interesting characters, e.g. Joie or Daneh's son, deserve way more attention and it's a waste that they didn't get more screentime. I also found the relationship of Megan and Herzer kind of strange - it seems to be so deep yet there isn't exactly a lot of description or hints of things and bonding that co
Andreas
Sep 26, 2011 Andreas rated it liked it
Book four is about a showdown of sorts, as both sides jockey for control of a ship full of fuel coming in from the outer solar system. The fuel is destined for the reactors powering the council’s interests. As usual, Herzer is in the thick of it. And oh yeah, there are orcs in space, but nothing much is really made of that.

This may be the last book, but the conclusion isn’t unambiguous. The story is rather simplistic. While Ringo is always entertaining, the epic dimension is missing. If you like
Barbara Ghylin
What a wild read. It was nice to finish this series. I would mind seeing more books in this series. I have a feeling there is more to the adventure.
Marty Coffield
so far so good, not a very good wrap for this series---so many questions unanswered
Kjirstin
Nov 13, 2013 Kjirstin rated it liked it
Hmmm. I enjoyed this, again, but had a little trouble getting into it. For some reason I had trouble picturing the action that was being described, and that made it harder to be fully immersed in the story. I do hope that the remaining books in this series, whenever they come into existence, will stay mostly on the surface of the Earth and follow what's happening in the new civilization more closely.

But that aside, this is a rollicking adventure aboard a spaceship with giant spiders and orcs and
Josh
Mar 09, 2011 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-sci-fi
Hard book to classify: there are strong fantasy elements on this series (mermaids, elves, orcs, swords, etc.), but at the same time everything operates from a theoretical scientific base. I'm dropping it into military sci-fi because the tactical elements are so critical here. Ringo is a lot like David Weber (whom he's written books with) in describing battle scenes down to the unit tactics level with exhaustive detail.

This is volume 4 in the Council Wars series, and it doesn't look like the end
Wayne Reidell
Nov 10, 2015 Wayne Reidell rated it it was amazing
Now I have to go find the rest of this series...
Antonio
May 29, 2014 Antonio rated it it was ok
Getting tired of the series.....
Frank
Aug 25, 2016 Frank rated it really liked it
Hertzer vs. Orcs in Spaace!
Cheryl Shorter
Jan 25, 2016 Cheryl Shorter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: room-living, na-w
The refueling ship is finally on its way, but the only way to guarantee the New Destiny Forces will not be in control of the HE3 is to control the ship and all the fuel supplies for the power plants. The UFS has a plan for that, but as every good military strategist knows, no plans survive contact with the enemy! Who's going to be the best person to take over with a good go to hell plan? Whatever it is you'd better believe Herzer will have a big part in it!
Ralph McEwen
Jan 21, 2013 Ralph McEwen rated it liked it
Definetly a continuation of the series and I recommend reading the previous books before getting into this one. Preprations for getting into space with the limited technology available was interesting. There are some interesting space battle scenes. The ending left me feeling that there should be another book to finish the story, but since it's been 6 years I doubt there will be one.
Tim
Mar 22, 2012 Tim rated it liked it
Rather annoyingly, I finished this six-year-old book to discover that it is NOT the end of the series, and Ringo is undecided about whether to finish it or not (poor sales, apparently).

It's a decent yarn and the action is good, although by this 4th book I'd become slightly weary of the amateur psychology lessons.
Bryan457
Science so advanced it might as well be magic, then it all comes crashing down, and people have to learn to do things the old fashioned way again, while fending off the bad guys.
Orcs in a space battle to capture an incoming fuel tanker.
I love this series, please write more of them.
Ladyonuk
May 06, 2010 Ladyonuk rated it it was ok
Not as good as last book, and certainly it will be a loooooong time before I want to read this again.
Of all the books of the Council Wars this is just slighty better than the first.

Leaves open several plot lines from past books and adds a few more.

Johnny Bennett
Jul 01, 2013 Johnny Bennett rated it really liked it
This is the best in the series so far. The battle scenes are a little harder to follow in this book and the humor is generally as crass as previous books. Herzer continues to be as unbelievable a character as ever.
LadyCroft86
Oct 20, 2011 LadyCroft86 rated it liked it
This book wasn't nearly as good as the others. I didn't feel like anything got resolved in the story. I was disappointed that Bast wasn't in this story too. Emerald Sea is by far the best book in the series.
Bigbear Beeguy
Aug 11, 2016 Bigbear Beeguy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good one

As usual. A good sequel to the series. The requirements for so many words in the reviews is ridiculous though.
Child960801
Sep 22, 2011 Child960801 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
Ringo just likes explaining things, that's why each book has some new thing. This one it's training to go into space.
Bill
Oct 31, 2013 Bill rated it liked it
Too much 'training', less action than you would normally expect in a Ringo book. Definitely the weakest in the series.
Rain Longson
Jun 05, 2014 Rain Longson rated it it was amazing
Great book. Would love to read more in this series, but I have a feeling that this is the last one.
Backslash
Aug 22, 2016 Backslash rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Not really terrible, but not the best of the series. I think the first is still the best.
  • Warlord (The General, #1-2)
  • Empire From the Ashes (Dahak, #1-3)
  • The Dance of Time (Belisarius, #6)
  • The Lotus Eaters
  • The Chosen (The General, #6)
John Ringo is a prolific author who has written in a wide variety of genres. His early life included a great deal of travel. He visited 23 foreign countries, and attended fourteen different schools. After graduation Ringo enlisted in the US military for four years, after which he studied marine biology.

In 1999 he wrote and published his first novel "A Hymn Before Battle", which proved successful.
More about John Ringo...

The Council Wars (4 books)
  • There Will Be Dragons (The Council Wars, #1)
  • Emerald Sea (The Council Wars, #2)
  • Against the Tide (The Council Wars, #3)