Start by marking “Albion's Dream” as Want to Read:
Albion's Dream

Albion's Dream

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When twelve-year-old Edward Yeoman discovers a strange board game in his uncle's house, he and his cousin play the creepy game, with sinister results.
Published August 1st 1992 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Albion's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Albion's Dream

Ken Sweet
Before Harry Potter there was Albion's Dream. Not condescending, not at all dumbed down, this short novel is packed with meaning and excitement, and is enjoyable for adults and kids alike.

Albion's Dream is a wonderful journey about a mystical game and the child who finds it. One read will leave you yearning for more. I have read it every year since I first discovered it at the public library, when I was a teenager, and I consistently find some new and deeper meaning in some subtle piece of pros
Linda Hiemstra
Pure nostalgio. I used to check this book out of the library all the time, so I was very happy to track down a copy years later - albeit in English and without the lovely pencil drawings I remembered. I like the magical realism of this book, coupled with the English mythology. I just kinda wish it included more about the game so I could play it myself!
Hank Horse
A young adult novel with mythical themes. The main character finds an old family game, and begins to realize that it holds the power to alter reality. It's a suspenseful, well-paced story.

My friend John pointed out one of the great things about this story. It has a good-vs-evil dynamic, but it remains rooted in a specific place (post-war Britain) and doesn't require a cosmic fate-of-the-universe scale to sustain its tension like so many others (Pullman, Tolkein). Well worth reading, and there a
Claudia Piña
Lo estoy leyendo con mis primitas y les esta gustando mucho. Y a mi también, es un muy buen libro juvenil.

Update: Pues a pesar de ser relativamente largo para ellas y el tiempo extra que toma leer en voz alta, lo terminamos rapido porque estaban muy emocionadas. Y con razón, porque es un gran libro que podría atrapar a jóvenes y adultos por igual.

Tiene aventura, misterio, suspenso, momentos sobrenaturales y un muy buen protagonista. El juego de mesa que aparece en el libro es bastante creepy.
Dylan
Great story about the power and magic of myths set (where else?) in the idyllic English countryside. The writing is perfect for a children's novel - simple and accessible, but without condescension. Unlike so many of the books which populate its genre, Albion's Dream is neither overly simplistic nor grandiose. I'm not exactly sure what to make of the ending.
Thomas
Jul 09, 2007 Thomas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like fantasy
There is a game which has been passed down through generations of a family. Playing this game alters reality so that the fate of certain pieces within the game affects the fate of certain pieces within life. This book inspired me hugely about making games when I was a teenager. I'm now rereading it to my daughter.
Emily
My one regret about this book (which I've read several times over the years) was that it ended exactly as if it would be followed by a sequel, but Norman sadly never wrote anything else.
Asael Arroyo
i remember it was great, though im not sure what was it about haha
Adrian
reading the spanish version.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Allisonrose
Allisonrose marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Jón Ellingsgaard
Jón Ellingsgaard marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Amy ♥♫
Amy ♥♫ marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Albion's Dream appeared in 1990, Red Die nearly twenty years later and Shadowborne in 2012. Treetime, a kids' book, came out in 1997. I spent the 1980s in Greece and have lived in Turkey for much of the last twenty years. Before all that I was a Dorset lad, and apart from Treetime my books are set wholly or partly in Dorset. There's been an element of exile in these long sojourns abroad and perhap ...more
More about Roger Norman...
Red die Treetime (A Red Faber Story) Shadowborne