Start by marking “Albion's Dream” as Want to Read:
Albion's Dream

Albion's Dream

When twelve-year-old Edward Yeoman discovers a strange board game in his uncle's house, he and his cousin play the creepy game, with sinister results.
Published August 1st 1992 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Albion's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Albion's Dream

Ken Sweet
Jan 04, 2010 Ken Sweet rated it it was amazing
Before Harry Potter there was Albion's Dream. Not condescending, not at all dumbed down, this short novel is packed with meaning and excitement, and is enjoyable for adults and kids alike.

Albion's Dream is a wonderful journey about a mystical game and the child who finds it. One read will leave you yearning for more. I have read it every year since I first discovered it at the public library, when I was a teenager, and I consistently find some new and deeper meaning in some subtle piece of pros
Linda Hiemstra
Feb 13, 2014 Linda Hiemstra rated it really liked it
Pure nostalgio. I used to check this book out of the library all the time, so I was very happy to track down a copy years later - albeit in English and without the lovely pencil drawings I remembered. I like the magical realism of this book, coupled with the English mythology. I just kinda wish it included more about the game so I could play it myself!
Denny
Jan 25, 2015 Denny rated it it was amazing
Although probably considered a juvenile fantasy,There is a mythic struggle between good and evil going on here. The board game
Is complex and chilling. Now I have to find the other books.
Claudia Piña
Jan 12, 2012 Claudia Piña rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Claudia by: dad
Lo estoy leyendo con mis primitas y les esta gustando mucho. Y a mi también, es un muy buen libro juvenil.

Update: Pues a pesar de ser relativamente largo para ellas y el tiempo extra que toma leer en voz alta, lo terminamos rapido porque estaban muy emocionadas. Y con razón, porque es un gran libro que podría atrapar a jóvenes y adultos por igual.

Tiene aventura, misterio, suspenso, momentos sobrenaturales y un muy buen protagonista. El juego de mesa que aparece en el libro es bastante creepy.
Hank Horse
Jun 14, 2007 Hank Horse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-kids
A young adult novel with mythical themes. The main character finds an old family game, and begins to realize that it holds the power to alter reality. It's a suspenseful, well-paced story.

My friend John pointed out one of the great things about this story. It has a good-vs-evil dynamic, but it remains rooted in a specific place (post-war Britain) and doesn't require a cosmic fate-of-the-universe scale to sustain its tension like so many others (Pullman, Tolkein). Well worth reading, and there a
Thomas
Jul 09, 2007 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like fantasy
There is a game which has been passed down through generations of a family. Playing this game alters reality so that the fate of certain pieces within the game affects the fate of certain pieces within life. This book inspired me hugely about making games when I was a teenager. I'm now rereading it to my daughter.
Dylan
Mar 04, 2013 Dylan rated it liked it
Great story about the power and magic of myths set (where else?) in the idyllic English countryside. The writing is perfect for a children's novel - simple and accessible, but without condescension. Unlike so many of the books which populate its genre, Albion's Dream is neither overly simplistic nor grandiose. I'm not exactly sure what to make of the ending.
Asael Arroyo
Nov 21, 2011 Asael Arroyo rated it it was amazing
i remember it was great, though im not sure what was it about haha
Adrian
reading the spanish version.
Emily
Jul 01, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
My one regret about this book (which I've read several times over the years) was that it ended exactly as if it would be followed by a sequel, but Norman sadly never wrote anything else.
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Fullmetal Sparkle
Fullmetal Sparkle rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2013
Beck
Beck rated it really liked it
May 12, 2013
Jasmin Kocaer
Jasmin Kocaer rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2012
Arthwys
Arthwys rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2008
Carmen Valencia
Carmen Valencia rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Francisco Acevedo
Francisco Acevedo rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Estefanía Cantoral
Estefanía Cantoral rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2017
Gideon
Gideon rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2014
Stephanie Parray
Stephanie Parray rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2014
Natalie Fernandes
Natalie Fernandes rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Eminer
Eminer rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Fred Clough
Fred Clough rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Türker
Türker rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2011
Diego Garcia Cortes
Diego Garcia Cortes rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Guillermo Trueba
Guillermo Trueba rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2016
Anneleen
Nederlandse titel: "Het verborgen Spel"
Geraldine
Geraldine rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2008
María Fernanda
María Fernanda rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Albion's Dream appeared in 1990, Red Die nearly twenty years later and Shadowborne in 2012. Treetime, a kids' book, came out in 1997. I spent the 1980s in Greece and have lived in Turkey for much of the last twenty years. Before all that I was a Dorset lad, and apart from Treetime my books are set wholly or partly in Dorset. There's been an element of exile in these long sojourns abroad and perhap ...more
More about Roger Norman...