Start by marking “Children of Albion Rovers” as Want to Read:
Children of Albion Rovers

Children of Albion Rovers

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The critically acclaimed collection of novellasfeaturing six of the most exciting young writers to emerge from Scotland in the 1990s, including Irvine Welsh

Children of Albion Rovers is a world of tripped-out crematorium attendants (Alan Warner), vengeful traffic-wardens (James Meek), born-again vinyl junkies (Gordon Legge), and teenage girls who sexually humiliate their t
Paperback
Published January 1st 2001 by Canongate UK (first published June 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Children of Albion Rovers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of Albion Rovers

Steven
This is an anthology of six novellas by Scottish writers that was released back in 1996 when Scots were all the rage. Hot stuff then, interesting time capsule read now.

“Pop Life” by Gordon Legge is weak, plodding to the predictable ending; the characters are more analyzed than present in the story. It doesn’t have the energy that his short stories and flash fiction have (see In Between Talking about the Football.

“After the Vision” by Alan Warner is a novel excerpt and doesn’t resolve as novella
Matthew Jaha
Mar 17, 2014 Matthew Jaha rated it liked it
I had a great time reading this book on the bus on my way to work over the course of a week. My favorite short was Laura Hird's, and I thought Irvine Welsh's contribution the least attractive and ended up skimming through it.
Rebecca
A rough and at times difficult collection. I didn't finish the story by Irvine Welsh; I just couldn't get into it. The other stories are interesting and well written. I liked "The Dilating Pupil" best. I find Scottish writers difficult to read, as I don't understand a lot of the slang, but I still slogged through it and enjoyed some of it. I've read other Irvine Welsh books that I've enjoyed more, like, "Ecstasy." This book is a good overview of region specific writing.
Damon
Nov 15, 2008 Damon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was not much fun. I guess that I was more interested in this kind of stuff when I actually bought this book forever ago, and I should have probably just read it then. Someone vomits in almost every story.
Will
Aug 02, 2008 Will rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gift from Minseo from Scotland. Some great short stories, though the Irvine Welsh one is a ripe turd.
Martin
Feb 16, 2010 Martin added it
want to read
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Wallace Hunter
Wallace Hunter rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Scott Bramwell
Scott Bramwell rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Spica
Spica marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
John Rutherford
John Rutherford marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
James
James added it
Apr 02, 2016
Krystal Hart
Krystal Hart rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Jacqueline Matuza
Jacqueline Matuza marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Markuspicoringas
Markuspicoringas rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Mary
Mary added it
Mar 13, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Gary Twells
Gary Twells rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Karina Rattray
Karina Rattray marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Z
Z marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Paul Newman
Paul Newman marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Jonathan Carr
Jonathan Carr rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Ewan Golder
Ewan Golder marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Julian Doyle
Julian Doyle rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Simon Tweedie
Simon Tweedie rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Ailsa
Ailsa rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
  • Happy Cruelty Day!: Daily Celebrations of Quiet Desperation
  • The Complete Short Stories: Volume 2
  • Scottish Fairy and Folk Tales
  • Jennifer Love Hewitt Times Infinity
  • The Worst Years of Your Life: Stories for the Geeked-Out, Angst-Ridden, Lust-Addled, and Deeply Misunderstood Adolescent in All of Us
  • Nine
  • The Loss Library and Other Unfinished Stories
  • Coming and Crying
  • Stories 1904-1924
Kevin Meade Williamson (born March 14, 1965) is an American screenwriter, best known for the horror films Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer and The Faculty, as well as the popular television series Dawson's Creek and, more recently, The Vampire Diaries.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Wi...
More about Kevin Williamson...