Start by marking “Nightfall and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Nightfall and Other Stories

Nightfall and Other Stories

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  8,366 ratings  ·  93 reviews
Published March 1st 1969 by Doubleday & Company, Inc. (Garden City, NY) (first published January 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Nightfall and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightfall and Other Stories

Jean-marcel
One of my favourite of the dozens of Asimov short story anthologies out there. While the man was no great stylist, I've no doubt at all that he was a master of the intriguing short story. His shorts usually entail a sort of puzzle, and a great deal of fun is trying to stay a step ahead of the characters (if you can) or see how Asimov will get his people out of a jam, or not, as is sometimes the case. While it's been a long time since I read this, I do remember finding a good number of the storie ...more
Michael Klein
I had been told that "Nightfall" is considered by many to be the best science fiction short story of all time. I had never heard of it, so I got it and gave it a read. It was good, but once again, I am not sure what makes a short story great. I can say that unlike so many highly praised literary short stories, "Nightfall" did have a beginning, middle, and clear end. So that was nice.

One of the clear challenges in science fiction is to write something that is both imaginative yet not something th
Johnny Leal
I've only read Nightfall from this compilation, and maybe it's just me but I didn't really enjoy it. People have claimed Nightfall is the greatest sci-fi short story ever written, and I was just bored with it. It felt like a business meeting, it didn't feel like it was sci-fi other than mentioning other stars and whatnot.

But again, that's just me.
Lori
I know Asimov is supposed to be king, but I find him very long-winded and boring. His ideas are great but the telling is poor. Sorry, got to be honest.
C.S.  Ferrier
This is by far the best book of short stories I've ever read. Only two or so of them I didn't really enjoy. Most of them I thought were absolutely brilliant.

My personal favorites:

Nightfall: Likely the best of the short stories in the book, it deals with a planet that never experiences night except for every few thousand years. It's a good start to the book and pulls you right in with it's novel concept.

Green Patches: I really liked how cleaver this story was. Dealing with an intelligence that
Sidonie Kervau
IMPORTANT EDIT: my book says at the beginning that the anthology was called "Nightfall and other stories" in English, but the story Nightfall does not actually appear in the book I read, so I have no idea if it was published in the same form in English.

I don't get the fuss about Asimov. I'm going to keep trying because there must be a reason why he's considered a classic, but I found half of the stories boring, if not awkward.
For instance, in the preface to the Strikebreaker, Asimov says he does
Fintan
Nice little collection for Asimov completists. This is a selection of his non-robot, non-foundation stories compiled in the 1960s. Being outside his most famous subject matter it's a fun slice of a less familiar side of the great man's imagination (there's even a romance in there!)
These stories are by no means wall to wall brilliant, but Asimov's personal introductions to each one really put them in context both in his career and his state of mind at the time of writing. Some oddities in there i
Kelli
One of the best books I've read in a long time. Asimov is so great, always asking questions, posing interesting situations, and imagining life in ways I never thought of.
Martina Hlúbiková
So of course from the collection of the short stories the Nightfall is the most brilliant. Cause even when you start to think of it, the world with the 6 Suns which will end according to Book of Revelation in dark and the the stars will appear and people who will see the stars in the dark will get crazy, such an idea of the story is really very interesting. But there are more stories which I really liked e.g. about the aliens Hawkinsites in the story Hostess where Earthmen have the parasite call ...more
Marty Acks
I read this book a longtime ago. The five stars is for the Nightfall short story. It intertwines religious, psychological, astronomical, and archeological story lines in a plot based on a planet with multiple suns that has an eclipse one every two thousand years. The timeline of the story starts in the final few days before the eclipse. What will happen when the eclipse occurs?
Matteo Pellegrini

A cominciare da questo numero, e in tre volumi, Urania offre ai suoi lettori la più importante e attesa delle antologie di fantascienza: quella che Isaac Asimov ha curato personalmente scegliendo i migliori dei suoi racconti, ordinandoli cronologicamente e premettendo a ciascuno una nota speciale. Il presente volume contiene i primi quattro racconti. I due volumi successivi saranno in edicola rispettivamente il 24 giugno e l'8 luglio, ma crediamo che la tradizionale raccomandazione di "non manc

Zachary Taylor
In what is often considered the best science fiction short story of all time, Isaac Asimov demonstrates how science fiction done well can enrapture our attention and simultaneously offer constructive social criticism. Asimov throws his readers into the midst of preparation for an apocalyptic doomsday forecasted by the scientists of Saro University, who are accompanied by a provocative journalist (Theremon) skeptical of such fantastical notions as the end of the world. The renown author builds hi ...more
The Bookwyrm's Hoard
I can't say that I loved every story in this collection, but the title story, "Nightfall", is superb. It's also one of the classic "idea" stories; if you're at all interested in the history of science fiction, you should read it.
Ron
An amazing story, considering when it was written, establishing Asimov in my mind as one of the great science fiction authors.
Vincent
I had this book back when I was a kid. 10 years old or so. It was from the Doubleday Book Club. (Wow, I'm aging myself.) I loved it then and started hunting it down about 10 years ago. Finally found a copy.

"Nightfall" was expanded into a full-length novel. It shouldn't have been. The short-story is perfect. Add to that Asimov's other favorites and you've got a delightful look at a potential universe.

Some of the stories show their age more than others, specifically those taking place on Earth. Bu
J.w. Schnarr
Nightfall is a brilliant story.
Daniel Stewart
Dec 29, 2014 Daniel Stewart is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Since this is a collection of short stories, I figure I should write a review for each story as I read it.

1) Nightfall - As one of Asimov's best known short stories, I probably entered this story with unrealistic expectations. The premise is brilliant, and in general I enjoyed this story a lot. I do however think that Asimov's inexperience as a writer is evident in the ebb and flow of the plot

2) Green Patches - This was a fun story to read because of my background in biology. A little bit scienc
Amélie
J'ai de la difficulté à être objective par rapport à ce livre ; c'est impossible pour moi de l'analyser, ou d'y penser trop sérieusement, ou d'y chercher autre chose que le très très grand plaisir que j'ai eu à le lire tranquillement, histoire d'extra-terrestres pseudo-socialistes après histoire de guerres intergalactiques, à plat ventre sur mon lit.

Je suis tombée amoureuse de Nightfall & Other Stories dans une librairie de livres usagés, parce que je n'avais jamais lu Isaac Asimov & par
Erik Graff
Dec 09, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adolescents
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I've belonged to the Science Fiction Book Club off and on over the years, buying the cheapest available hardcovers which promised to be interesting, reading them voraciously during semester breaks. Having read a lot of Asimov as a child, this collection was a natural and safe (in the sense of predictable) choice.

Of its contents, I only really remember "Nightfall", his 1941 short story about, among other things, enlightened scientists versus the ignorant masses on a distant planet. The reason I r
Anthony
This is "Nightfall and Other Stories", a collection of Isaac Asimov short stories that were originally published between 1941 and 1968. Isaac Asimov was probably the first mainstream, golden age science fiction author I read ("Robots of Dawn"). From that start, I then grabbed all Asimov's stories I could find; and then branched out into other authors. So, for me, Asimov has a favourite place on the bookshelf.

"Nightfall and Other Stories" is an eclectic mix of stories and, unfortunately, many now
Jill Hutchinson
Time for something a little different for me so I pulled this book out of one of my shelves. I seldom read sci fi but one can't go wrong with Asimov. This is a collection of twenty short stories which include his masterpiece Nightfall. It is recognized as one of the greatest sci fi stories of all time and I might just agree with that rating. There are a few stories in this collection that are a little weak but overall, it is well worth reading.
Josephkohn
One might think that having read several books by an author, that there are generally few surprises to be expected. Secondary to to the sheer ubiquitous nature of his writing though, novelty is exactly what Asimov is known for.
This is an anthology of various shorts spanning about 25 years and starting with Asimov's earliest success. It allows one to notice the change in his style over time, or lack there of to be more accurate. Though either too vague or too technical at times, several storie
Djiezes
In the Dutch versions of this book, they separated the short-stories in two books:

In "Broedt Daar een Mens" the following stories are published:
1) Hostess (Gastvrouw)
2) Breeds there a man ... ? (Broedt daar een mens?)
3) What if ... (Wat als ...)
4) Sally
5) C-chute (L-Sluis)

In "Een Mooie Dag voor een Wandeling" the following stories:
1) Nightfall (zondsondergang)
2) It's Such a Beautiful Day (een mooie dag voor een wandeling)
3) Strikebreaker (stakingbreker)
4) Insert Knob A in Hole B (steek nok A in
Abigail
My initial review in January: So far, this collection of short stories (which I picked up for approximately $1 at the goodwill down the street) is absolutely stellar. I'd highly recommend.

My review after finishing: So good! The anthology was put together by Asimov himself, who also wrote short introductions to each story--killer. Some of them contain brief (but plausibly deniable) diatribes against editors (who are, of course, always right in my mind) and commentary on the pulps that the storie
Andrea Santucci
Per full disclosure, ho letto solo il racconto che dà il titolo alla raccolta perché è un caposaldo della fantascienza. E, in realtà, l'ho trovato così così. La premessa è straordinaria, ma l'esecuzione mi ha lasciato freddino. In più continuavo a domandarmi "ma questa cosa è scientificamente possibile?".
Elaine
I got this to read "Nightfall," but also read many of the other stories. "Nightfall" is a great story that is about how we can't move beyond what we've always done because of superstition and fear of change, even if we know the outcome is bad.
Irene Domínguez
Veinte historias independientes, a cada cual mejor que la anterior, (salvo dos un poco más decepcionantes, pero dos de veinte es un porcentaje despreciable).

Dejando a un lado la genialidad de "Nightfall" y "Hostess", dos de mis historias preferidas, he de señalar también la sátira a Playboy como una de las mejores de esta antología, nunca me había reído tanto ante una escena de sexo.

Cada vez me gusta más este hombre.
Discostu97
The first collection of Asimov's short stories I ever read. Needless to say , I find it so entertaining I decided to read everything the man had wrote. Definitely recommended to sci-fi enthusiasts or just who's curious.
Christi Lupher
I first read this as a teenager and really liked it. I just sat down and re-read a few of the stories. And I have to say -- Asimov holds up over time. Even when his science lags behind current knowledge or he hits on subjects that have become overdone, or he touches on social "realities" that no longer exist, his stories are still interesting and thought-provoking.
David Kelly
"Nightfall and Other Stories" contains twenty of Asimov's short-stories published in a variety of magazines between 1941 and 1967 (though most are from the 50s).

Some of these are a little dated now but nevertheless display Asimov's very readable writing style and are accompanied by autobiographical comments or sometimes how the story originated. These provide a fascinating insight into Asimov's personality and life as a writer.

The eponymous "Nightfall" stands out as the most significant of the s
  • Neutron Star (Known Space)
  • Expedition To Earth
  • The Menace from Earth (Future History, #18)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A
  • Again, Dangerous Visions
  • Berserker (Berserker, #1)
  • The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4-6)
  • Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2)
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick 2: We Can Remember it for You Wholesale
  • The Weapon Shops of Isher

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)

“He was going mad and knew it, and
somewhere deep inside a bit of sanity was screaming, struggling to fight off
the hopeless flood of black terror. It was very horrible to go mad and know
that you were going mad -- to know that in a little minute you would be here
physically and yet all the real essence would be dead and drowned in the
black madness. For this was the Dark -- the Dark and the Cold and the Doom.”
4 likes