Start by marking “The Misanthrope, Tartuffe, and Other Plays (Oxford World's Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Misanthrope, Tartuffe, and Other Plays (Oxford World's Classics)

The Misanthrope, Tartuffe, and Other Plays (Oxford World's Classics)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  627 ratings  ·  23 reviews
This unique volume brings together four of Moli re's greatest verse comedies covering the best years of his prolific writing career. Actor, director, and playwright, Moli re (1622-73) was one of the finest and most influential French dramatists, adept at portraying human foibles and puncturing pomposity. The School for Wives was his first great success; Tartuffe, condemned ...more
Published September 20th 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Misanthrope, Tartuffe, and Other Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Misanthrope, Tartuffe, and Other Plays

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryLes Misérables by Victor HugoThe Stranger by Albert CamusThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasMadame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Best French Literature
77th out of 543 books — 977 voters
Animal Farm by George OrwellCatch-22 by Joseph HellerCandide by VoltaireThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeBrain by Dermot Davis
Best Satires
18th out of 199 books — 195 voters

More lists with this book...

erock
Moliere is funny. In all of my theater classes in college during which I never read anything (other than Master Plots summaries and other people's notes) I never really paid much attention to the things we were supposed to do. It makes me sad to think that now that I have read some plays I should have read 11 years ago, I have no one to talk to about how damn funny they are, oh well, life lessons!
*Queen Diva*
Well, this is sort of a lie because I didn't read the entire book - I only read Tartuffe. Haha! Maybe some day I will read the others, but for now, I only wanted to re-read Tartuffe. It's such a fun play! I really like the characters. The fact that it all rhymes is kind of fun too, but at times, gets annoying. I'd love to be in a production of this. I think it'd be a lot of fun.

Patrice
I just read Tartuffe and I have to say I liked it. Moliere raises some interesting ideas, reality vs. appearance, hypocrisy vs piety, and how even true piety can lead people astray. I can see the revolution brewing.

I also want to mention that Slater, very bravely, translated the French into rhymed couplets. I loved that.
It was fun to read, reminded me of Dr. Seuss.
Summer
Actually, not so much recommending this specific book as much as I am recommending reading everything by the man. I would say if you have never read anything by him, to start with Tartuffe, where you can get an instant appreciation for his (beautifully barbed) insight into human nature.
Katie
LOVE Moliere, he's like a French Oscar Wilde, very witty and satirical. Tartuffe is hilarious, and so is The Imaginary Invalid. Good 'reading' plays, as opposed to plays that are best on stage only. The language in these is so rich that it practically reads like a novel.
Jan
I really enjoy all of Moliere's work. He's funny; even being so long ago, the comedy holds. I saw School for Wives and nearly laughed my head off, especially when the actors over-acted, which I could picture Moliere doing on stage; all part of the satire.
Emma
Written in french prose, but elegantly translated into English without butchering the delicate rhyme schemes.
Lee
Translated to English, but still in the original poetic form: 12 syllables per line in rhyming couplets. I Don't know why they left out "The Mider," except to sell another book.
Sara
I only read Tartuffe, it was a quick read, and I definitely understand the family's irritation, but it wasn't the greatest thing I've ever read.
Rick
Hilarious and enlightening. I understand a lot more about French humor, and even the odd affection for Lewis, now.
Jenn
This wasn't one of my favorites. Perhaps it was the play formate but I didn't understand what was going on at all.
Charissa
Tartuffe's an interesting play-- yet it ends rather abruptly, as if Moliere decided, I need to end this thing. = ]
Ruben
Dec 20, 2010 Ruben added it
Moliere is the best, just the best. As much as I like Tartuffe, I think the Misanthrope even better.
Tom
When I have the time, I'm checking out the French.....including Proust! God help me.
Andrew Plasom-scott
A great comic genius - and so reassuring to find I've been speaking prose all my life!
Michelle
It was pretty good. I didnt understand some of the language but it was good all in all.
Vicki
Witty satire of the 16th century court life! Very fun and a quick read!
Lisa
I would love to re-read this in a seminar setting. Incredibly enjoyable.
Scott
sadly I've never seen Moliere performed, but he reads immaculate
Angela Gill
I read these in about 1961 but read them in French.
One of my favorite playwrights.
Scratchmaster Spazz
French people.....sheesh!
Mandi
Moliere, amor.
Christinne Blacker
Christinne Blacker marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Isabel Hebert
Isabel Hebert marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Kendall Moore
Kendall Moore marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Joe Wygocki
Joe Wygocki marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
  • The Cid / Cinna / The Theatrical Illusion
  • The Figaro Trilogy: The Barber of Seville / The Marriage of Figaro / The Guilty Mother
  • The Complete Plays
  • Euthyphro/Apology/Crito
  • 'Tis Pity She's a Whore and Other Plays
  • Meditations and Other Metaphysical Writings
  • The Duchess of Malfi and Other Plays
  • Five Plays: Ivanov / The Seagull / Uncle Vanya / The Three Sisters / The Cherry Orchard
  • The Complete Plays
  • Bérénice
  • A Season in Hell
  • The Buccaneers of America
  • Candida
  • Candide and Other Stories (World's Classics)
Jean-Baptiste Poquelin, also known by his stage name, Molière, was a French playwright and actor who is considered one of the greatest masters of comedy in Western literature. Among Molière's best-known dramas are Le Misanthrope, (The Misanthrope), L'Ecole des femmes (The School for Wives), Tartuffe ou l'Imposteur, (Tartuffe or the Hypocrite), L'Avare ou l'École du mensonge (The Miser), Le Malade ...more
More about Molière...