Start by marking “The Misanthrope, Tartuffe, and Other Plays (Oxford World's Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Misanthrope, Tartuffe, and Other Plays (Oxford World's Classics)

The Misanthrope, Tartuffe, and Other Plays (Oxford World's Classics)

This unique volume brings together four of Moli re's greatest verse comedies covering the best years of his prolific writing career. Actor, director, and playwright, Moli re (1622-73) was one of the finest and most influential French dramatists, adept at portraying human foibles and puncturing pomposity. The School for Wives was his first great success; Tartuffe, condemned ...more
Published September 20th 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Misanthrope, Tartuffe, and Other Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Misanthrope, Tartuffe, and Other Plays

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryLes Misérables by Victor HugoThe Stranger by Albert CamusThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasMadame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Best French Literature
675 books — 1,260 voters
Animal Farm by George OrwellCatch-22 by Joseph HellerThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeCandide by VoltaireGulliver's Travels / A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift
Best Satires
264 books — 291 voters

More lists with this book...

erock
Sep 05, 2008 erock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moliere is funny. In all of my theater classes in college during which I never read anything (other than Master Plots summaries and other people's notes) I never really paid much attention to the things we were supposed to do. It makes me sad to think that now that I have read some plays I should have read 11 years ago, I have no one to talk to about how damn funny they are, oh well, life lessons!
Zelda
Dec 17, 2015 Zelda rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I'm not the greatest fan of theater and I'm not very good at reading plays. I tend to be underwhelmed by them. Moliere's are no exception. That being said, I did enjoy them. I just didn't find them to be brilliant which is more a shortcoming on my part than his, I'm sure.
Victoria Jackson
Very clever speeches, some of which were brought into the film Moliere. I particularly like the Misanthrope who always speaks his mind and when asked his opinion of a poem starts gently in the third person with "I tried to tell this friend not to write any more". Also the incident where the young couple are singing to the father about loving eachother on the pretext of it being a singing lesson. Has to be acted to be appreciated. There is one play about wife being beaten with a stick by her husb ...more
Patrice
Jun 12, 2009 Patrice rated it really liked it
I just read Tartuffe and I have to say I liked it. Moliere raises some interesting ideas, reality vs. appearance, hypocrisy vs piety, and how even true piety can lead people astray. I can see the revolution brewing.

I also want to mention that Slater, very bravely, translated the French into rhymed couplets. I loved that.
It was fun to read, reminded me of Dr. Seuss.
Miss Ryoko
Apr 25, 2012 Miss Ryoko rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book, plays
Well, this is sort of a lie because I didn't read the entire book - I only read Tartuffe. Haha! Maybe some day I will read the others, but for now, I only wanted to re-read Tartuffe. It's such a fun play! I really like the characters. The fact that it all rhymes is kind of fun too, but at times, gets annoying. I'd love to be in a production of this. I think it'd be a lot of fun.

Kate
Oct 20, 2007 Kate rated it it was amazing
LOVE Moliere, he's like a French Oscar Wilde, very witty and satirical. Tartuffe is hilarious, and so is The Imaginary Invalid. Good 'reading' plays, as opposed to plays that are best on stage only. The language in these is so rich that it practically reads like a novel.
Jan
Oct 06, 2008 Jan rated it liked it
I really enjoy all of Moliere's work. He's funny; even being so long ago, the comedy holds. I saw School for Wives and nearly laughed my head off, especially when the actors over-acted, which I could picture Moliere doing on stage; all part of the satire.
Summer
Mar 20, 2008 Summer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
Actually, not so much recommending this specific book as much as I am recommending reading everything by the man. I would say if you have never read anything by him, to start with Tartuffe, where you can get an instant appreciation for his (beautifully barbed) insight into human nature.
Kris
I read "The School for Wives" for a theatre class. The social commentary is intriguing as it deals with the issue of femininity from the male's perspective. Women, despite being a minority and socially subjugated, hold the most power in this play by virtue of the male fear of cuckoldry.
Rick
Apr 18, 2010 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious and enlightening. I understand a lot more about French humor, and even the odd affection for Lewis, now.
Charissa
Mar 08, 2007 Charissa rated it really liked it
Tartuffe's an interesting play-- yet it ends rather abruptly, as if Moliere decided, I need to end this thing. = ]
Emma
Dec 30, 2013 Emma rated it liked it
Written in french prose, but elegantly translated into English without butchering the delicate rhyme schemes.
Ruben
Dec 20, 2010 Ruben added it
Moliere is the best, just the best. As much as I like Tartuffe, I think the Misanthrope even better.
Lee
Jul 06, 2009 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Translated to English, but still in the original poetic form: 12 syllables per line in rhyming couplets. I Don't know why they left out "The Mider," except to sell another book.
Jenn
May 31, 2008 Jenn rated it did not like it
This wasn't one of my favorites. Perhaps it was the play formate but I didn't understand what was going on at all.
Sara
Apr 07, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
I only read Tartuffe, it was a quick read, and I definitely understand the family's irritation, but it wasn't the greatest thing I've ever read.
Kari
Kari rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2007
Laura rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2008
Jean-sébastien Ordonneau
Jean-sébastien Ordonneau rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2012
Andreea-Olivia Matei
Andreea-Olivia Matei rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2015
Zeynep
Zeynep rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2013
Laurie Tomchak
Laurie Tomchak rated it liked it
May 08, 2014
Mary Kate
Mary Kate rated it really liked it
May 16, 2014
tmll
tmll rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2008
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2013
mahboob
mahboob rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2007
Andrew Ray
Andrew Ray rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Kosmikdawg
Kosmikdawg rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2007
Jaguar
Jaguar rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2007
  • The Cid / Cinna / The Theatrical Illusion
  • The Barber of Seville / The Marriage of Figaro / The Guilty Mother
  • The Complete Plays of Gilbert and Sullivan
  • Discourse on Method and Related Writings
  • The Robbers and Wallenstein
  • Four Revenge Tragedies: The Spanish Tragedy; The Revenger's Tragedy; The Revenge of Bussy D'Ambois; And the Atheist's Tragedy
  • The Golf Omnibus
  • The Duchess of Malfi and Other Plays
  • Iphigenia / Phaedra / Athaliah
  • The Cenci
  • The Comedies
Jean-Baptiste Poquelin, also known by his stage name, Molière, was a French playwright and actor who is considered one of the greatest masters of comedy in Western literature. Among Molière's best-known dramas are Le Misanthrope, (The Misanthrope), L'Ecole des femmes (The School for Wives), Tartuffe ou l'Imposteur, (Tartuffe or the Hypocrite), L'Avare ou l'École du mensonge (The Miser), Le Malade ...more
More about Molière...